we just heard a strange report about a norwegian cruise line ship

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
i'm overseas so i don't know if what i just heard is correct or not...
does anyone know what happened, if anything at all actually happened, on a norwegian cruise line ship?

Yes, explosion and fire in the ship's engine room. :(

2 crew killed, approx 20 injured.

It's in the port of Miami.

oh that's awful.....
thanks Mark....i was searching the online news sites, but i couldn't find any reports....(i heard the item on the radio where i live....the guy claimed it was a bomb, but the guy who reported it tends to jump the gun with his reports, so i'm very wary of what he says until i hear it confirmed from another source...)..

thanks again for the information!

thanks.
i just went to yahoo and they'd updated the report to the following:

4 Killed in Miami Cruise Ship Explosion

MIAMI - An explosion and fire in the engine room of a docked cruise ship killed four crew members Sunday and injured 17 others before the flames were extinguished, authorities said.

None of the ship's 3,400 passengers was injured.

The injured crew members, including four in critical condition, were taken to area hospitals, said Coast Guard Petty Officer Anastasia Burns.

Norwegian Cruise Line's Norway had arrived at the Port of Miami around 5 a.m. The fire began about 2 hours later with an explosion, possibly caused by a steam leak, Burns said.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue workers responded and the fire was put out in less than an hour, she said.

The passengers began disembarking around an hour later, she said.

"Right now, everything is under control," Burns said. "So far, it looks like it was just an accident."

Norwegian Cruise Line officials did not immediately return calls Sunday.

thanks....i'll sign off and go turn on the tv...maybe it'll be on our CNN (we have CNN international....it sometimes has what you have...i think....)

thanks for the miami herald site...i have a really slow connection so i'm still downloading the page....

Scary thought Mark. Now I can worry about something else LOL

Joanna

DH says I should start a business worrying for people. LOL

You guys are fast, I was just going to post this. Very sad.

MIAMI (May 25) - An explosion and fire in the boiler room of a docked cruise ship killed at least two crew members Sunday and injured 20 others before the flames were extinguished, authorities said. None of the ship's more than 2,100 passengers was injured.

Coast Guard officials reported four crew members died; however, Miami-Dade County officials said only two deaths had been confirmed. There was no immediate explanation for the discrepancy.

The injured crew members, 14 of them in critical condition, were taken to area hospitals, Miami-Dade Police Director Carlos Alvarez said at a news conference. He did not release further details about them.

At least 15 people with burns were brought to Jackson Memorial Hospital, said hospital spokeswoman Conchita Ruiz-Topinka.

Norwegian Cruise Line's Norway entered the Port of Miami around 5 a.m., with 2,135 passengers and 911 crew members on board, port director Charles Towsley said. The fire began about two hours later, the result of an explosion that was likely caused by a steam leak, Alvarez said.

``So far, it looks like it was just an accident,'' said Coast Guard Petty Officer Anastasia Burns.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue workers put out the fire in about an hour. All the passengers had left the ship about three hours after the fire began, Towsley said.

Ken Hunt, 81, said he was in his cabin when he heard the explosion.

``I didn't pay any attention at first, I thought we just hit the dock. But then the lights went out,'' he said.

The evacuation went smoothly, though the passengers weren't told what was going on, Hunt said. Once off the ship, the passengers squeezed into a customs hall to wait.

Norwegian Cruise Line officials did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

The Magic is Diesel/Electric propulsion. She still must have boilers for steam (heat, hot water perhaps?). <b>MarkRG</b> may know for sure. Either way, fire is a serious threat on a ship.

This is a terrible tragedy but I would not get to worked up about it that it may happen to you on your cruise. It sounds like a freak accident type of thing. I feel terrible for the families of the crew members but this would not make me think twice about still cruising.

I agree with Ann. The Norway is a much older ship than most sailing today.

Originally posted by WebmasterMichelle
I agree with Ann. The Norway is a much older ship than most sailing today.

Not only is it an older ship, but it has been in serious violations over the last couple of years for safety and fire hazzards.

Very sad that it led to the death of some crewman, but at least it happened in port. This could have been a lot scarier if it happened at sea.

Again, another good reason to pay attention during the muster drill - know everything you can because you just never know when you will have to recall that information.

Prayers to the families of those passed on and the injured.

Rae

The Magic does not use steam for propulsion or power, they do use it in limited amounts for the onboard laundry / dry cleaning plant, but that's all. They're not at risk for the kind of things the Norway that actually uses steam for the power plant.

Thank God this was just an accident. Maybe it's because we live in New York, but we are very sensitive to the whole terrorism issue. My sister actually lives in Tribeca near Ground Zero. That is the first thing I thought of when we saw the report on CNN this morning. Does anyone know what security measures Disney has added since 9/11? I might be paranoid, but I think we may be even more vulnerable on a cruise ship than on an airplane.

i feel terrible for the families of the dead and for the wounded and their families....these kinds of burns are truly horrifying....

as for DCL, my husband's response was, 'another reason to cruise disney'.....and yes a definite reminder to pay attention during the drill.....

as for disney's security measures....we sailed last july 4th weekend when the US was on orange alert (and there were many rumors at the time that cruise ships were a particular target)......i got very very nervous, so my husband called DCL and spoke with someone in management regarding security.....we were very impressed with the measures they had taken (that is, those he was able to share with us)...
when we were on the cruise we noticed other security measures as well.....we felt very secure throughout the cruise (and living in the middle east we have a heightened awareness of what's in place and what's not....)....i would have no hesitation whatsoever sailing on DCL no matter what the level of alert is at the time....they clearly go the extra mile necessary to keep their passengers safe....

I was told that the clearance bars at the enclosed parking garages were lowed after 9/11.

Little consolation after taking the luggage rack off my Montana on 5/3 there! Hey, you always have to know your vehicles clearance and allow for air pressure in tires, etc, etc,

And also make sure that your photo ID is vaid - Mom's was outdated by a few days - fortunately I had her Passport as backup proof! Never can be too careful.

Rae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter