• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We had a disgusting episode at Rose & Crown.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lives4Disney

DIS Veteran
The GROSSEST thing happened to us last night at Rose & Crown and because of the runaround and BS we got, we will NEVER eat there again. We had a 7:30 ADR, arrived and were seated about 8:10 outside next to a table with two families (4 adults and 2 little girls) that were about done eating. Table full of used plates, glasses, etc. We order and are happy....get salads drinks, etc. THEN I smell the distinct smell of vomit and cleaning chems like they use in schools and I just feel so ill. I look over and a CM is cleaning w/sawdust and spreading it around etc into the grout of the stone floor. OK, enough. I mean we are within 5 ft of this stuff and trapped. The only way out was over this vomit. I told my girls (they were even closer) to move over to my side of the table. I asked our waiter if one of their little ones thru up. I get some runaround with a smile that "quite possibly"....and he goes away! OK, maybe I have rocks in my head, but there is NO WAY I am going to sit there and be able to enjoy our meal smelling this and seeing it spread into the floor! We had this awesome table RIGHT by the water....these people procede to keep their place 'cause obviously they don't want to leave with illuminations starting soon....how uncouth. The little girl sits on her mom's lap and they order dessert!!!!! I am ready to vomit, myself. In the next few minutes while we are waiting for it to be completely spread around (cleaned up) and find out what our options are, this jolly good fellow comes over and starts asking if my two girls and those two sick girls will start the fireworks for them....I am like - uh, I don't want my kids within 50 yards of these kids and there is NO WAY in **** that we will be participating in some little silly thing with a vomiting kid.....he acts like I am a crazy kook for overreacting. (I don't THINK so)I asked the girl that came to put our umbrella down what exactly happened, I mean if I am wrong and it isn't vomit I would feel MUCH better and it would save me from worrying now for the next several nights of our trip if my kids are going to wake up ill, but she gives us some garbage excuse that this sawdust and chem clean up is "standard procedure" and done all the time and she doesn't know why it is being done 5 ft from us and what happened. I told her we just arrived and there is NO WAY I want my girls to get sick and no way I want my trip ruined by illness. (I am the mega handiwipe queen) Ask to be moved to another table. WELL, you would think I asked to dine with the queen. So put out were they. We had to ask 5 different people to be moved or if we could just leave and skip the whole thing. They just acted so Disneyish like there is NO problem, it's in our heads and we are making a big deal out of nothing. After we got aggravated and wanted to just leave (that was my first reaction but we were literally trapped)they did move us to an inside table, but at this point after having to walk over the vomit covered in sawdust and spread into the stone to get inside, we had no appetite left at all. We ate NOTHING. The waiter took off one meal - whoopee. I just cannot get over the nerve of those people staying with their ill kid, either! How rude and stupid. I would rather eat next to a 1/2 naked hairy, dirty guy in a Speedo with bare feet than a person throwing up......maybe it's just me but come on - talk about unsanitary. GROSS. I was just so disgusted by how we were made to feel like WE had the issue because we were asking to be moved, not the people that thought Illuminations was so important that they had to stay and expose everybody out there to this sickness. I understand about kids all of a sudden being sick, but to stay in a restaurant with a kid that is obviously ill is just selfish and I am really surprised that they weren't asked to leave by somebody at R & C.

Lives4Disney

You are not going to like this... but here it goes.. It's vomit.... It's a natural body function. I'm sure it was not pleasant.. but I think you over reacted quite a bit. It also sounds like you have a paranoia about getting sick... but thats another topic....
Of course I could be a bit jaded.. I'm a nurse and see vomit daily

EpcotGuy said:
You are not going to like this... but here it goes.. It's vomit.... It's a natural body function. I'm sure it was not pleasant.. but I think you over reacted quite a bit. It also sounds like you have a paranoia about getting sick... but thats another topic....
Of course I could be a bit jaded.. I'm a nurse and see vomit daily
Ditto.

Plus not every kids throws up cause they have a virus. My friends kids seem to throw up at the drop of the hat and they are not ill they just have sensitive stomachs. MY kids throw up and I know there is a problem. Her kids are with me and throw up I clean them up and the mess and keep going with what I am doing.

I have to say I agree with the previous two posters, I'd take puke that was 5 feet away and obviously being taken care of over a hairy guy in a Speedo any day.

Melissa

It's not a pleasant situation for anybody. Accidents happen. The family were more than entitled to stay if they wanted to.

Plus, I'm sure the CM's really weren't enjoying their job of cleaning up the vomit...

Maybe you would have been moved more quickly if you had have just asked politely, instead of swearing at them and bluntly refusing their offer of starting the fireworks.

I just cant help but think of the little girl who threw up, its not like she felt good about throwing up.
IMO it was nice of the staff to try to cheer her up(by starting fireworks), but their efforts were not helped by an adult treating her like she was infected with the black plague.

I have to agree with all the replies so far. I'm not sure exactly what you expected the CM to do. They gave you another table and comped you a meal and best of all offered your children the chance to start the fireworks.

Tracy

I also agree with you all BUT... I'm thinking of my own sister (who came with her family on our last trip to WDW). She has a very sensitive stomach and this would have bothered her very much, She wouldn't have been able to sit and eat near the vomit either.... AND she would FLIP OUT if her son had to sit within 10 feet of someone else's vomit. SO I do understand the OP's concern also.

Sorry you had a bad experience. :( Hopefully the child just threw up due to heat/exhaustion/etc. and not because of illness. I hate to admit it, but over the years my children have also thrown up at just about every amusement park in the country (the most horrifying was when my DD barfed on an entire group of people waiting for Fantasmic to start in DL -- we just grabbed her and ran for fear of a lynch mob!).

I understand that it wasnt nice to be near someones elses vomit as you were trying to eat and it would also put me off of my food.

BUT.....
You were moved to another table and you must realise this is a child. I am sure she didnt want to be sick and it was only an accident. She obviously didnt do it on purpose just to ruin your night. I personally would have been concerned for the little girl and if she was ok rather than worrying that we were going to get sick ourselves.

Children sometimes just vomit. It doesnt always mean they have something wrong with them. My son vomits if he puts too much food in his mouth.

So basically i understand that it put you off your food and you had every right to want a different table. But i think you did over react and i can't help feeling a little sad that your children missed out on starting the fireworks because of it. That would have been wonderful for them. :guilty:

I'm gonna jump in here and add two things:

Firstly, I can totally understand why you wouldn't be comfortable sitting and eating a meal after someone has vomited near you (especially if you are still able to smell it) and I can't understand why the staff were so reluctant to move you. Surely you have the right to be able to eat your meal in comfort. I know that I wouldn't have been able to enjoy a meal with the smell lingering around.

However, the second thing I would like to add is this. Had it been one of your children who had vomited and you knew there was nothing wrong with them ie they weren't sick, just over-excited or eaten too much, would you have wanted to miss the fireworks and ruin your family's evening out if it was a one-off? I agree with the othere posters that there is nothing to suggest that this child was sick - kids often throw up for no reason more than excitement.

I would just add this - if you had been moved but to a table inside, would you have been happy?

I could not have eaten for at least 30 mins afterwards.The samething happened to us at Universal.

But these things happen, dirty people, people smoking were they should not, anoy me more.

I can totally understand why you didn't feel like eating, but sometimes kids just puke and it isn't necessarily because they have an illness. It does sound like you over reacted a little.

IMO.... I don't know how you sat there in the first place after you had smelt the vomit!!!!!! I would have run a mile. Vomit has a really bad effect on me, I just can't stand it. I know it can't be helped and it doesn't always mean someone is ill, but whatever the reason, it makes me heave.

If someone is being sick my Hubby can go to them, rub their back, comfort them, while they are actually being sick !!!!!!!!!! I would love to have a stomach strong enough to cope with that, but I'm afraid I don't. I start to heave instantly and it's painful.

I'm sorry that you had that experience, but next time, do what I would do......... LEAVE !! Immediately !!!

Anewman said:
I just cant help but think of the little girl who threw up, its not like she felt good about throwing up.
IMO it was nice of the staff to try to cheer her up(by starting fireworks), but their efforts were not helped by an adult treating her like she was infected with the black plague.
Exactly what I was thinking.

I have to agree with the previous posters. I can understand that you didn't want to smell vomit and that's totally understandable but I think you acted a bit extreme. My oldest ds has a bad gag reflex. Plain and simple. He usually isn't sick. Certain food textures bother him. We never know what will cause it. Sometimes he can eat something and be fine and next time not so much. If he has a drip from hayfever it can also cause him to vomit. He can't help it. We always clean up after him and we do apologize if it interefered with someone. That being said- we would NEVER make him feel badly about it. It's not like he has awful manners. He can't help this. I think that you acted in a way that would make the poor kid feel bad. I agree that you should have been able to change tables if you so desired and of course you wouldn't want your child to get sick (who does) and yes, they shouldn't have been so evasive with you, but as a parent I would have been pretty upset if you were carrying on and making my child feel bad for something out of his control. I could be wrong but that's what I got from your post. Please correct me if I am wrong. princess:

We had the same thing happen to us last year at Chef Mickeys. We were waiting for our table just outside the resturant not far from the buffet. My friend pointed out to me that a lady and her daughter (age 6 or 7) were standing at the buffet and this little girl had thrown up all over. I know how children are and do not blame the child in the least. What shocked me was that this child's mother did not leave with her. She actually fisnished filling her plate. CMs came over and layed napkins over the vomit and people continued to step over it to get to the buffet. I couldn't believe it. After getting our table, againmy friend points out to me that this mother and little girl are sitting right next to us. The poor little girl was obviously sick. She sat there with her head on the table while her mother shoveled food in her mouth. She didn't even look up when Mickey came to her table. With in a few minutes she became sick again on the floor. Her mother took her to the bathroom I'm guessing but returned after about 10 minutes. Needless to say we did not eat very much and did not stay long. No, it did not ruin our vacation. I understand how expensive it is to have a Disney vacation and that you don't want to miss a thing. But to sit and stuff your face while your child is sick, is so not cool.

As the Mom of a kid who threw up at the Crystal Palace recently (in May) I have to say I'm sorry that you were in the wrong place at the wrong time but what should we as parents do? Our kids don't usually give us enough warning to get to a bathroom.

I do have to say that the staff at Crystal Palace was wonderful. They cleaned up, moved us to a new table and even got my dd a clean shirt.

I'm waiting for a thread where the poster complains that they are dining at R&C when their precious daughter got sick and some lady went ballistic about it and refused to let her children participate with the fireworks because of it.

Sorry, but I think you overreacted and sound more than a bit paranoid about such situations. It's vomit, not the ebola virus. Think of the poor little sick girl and the lucky people that get to clean it up. :cool1:

It sounds like your reaction towards the family and the CMs was much more offensive than the vomit. If it would have been us we would have simply gotten up and went inside to ask for another table politely. Not sat there and made a huge issue out of it. What did you expect to happen? Did you want the CMs to kick them to the curb because their little girl got sick? I can understand not wanting to sit there and maybe losing your appetite, but in those situations you have to handle things with a bit of class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter