• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We finally told the kids!!

Mommy Poppins

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW in December with our 3 kids (DD7, DS4 and DS 19 months). We will be traveling with my in-laws who are picking up the tab for the motel & airline. We made all of the arrangements so far and didn't tell the kids anything.

We spent last week at Myrtle Beach (again with the in-laws) and at lunch one done decided that we would tell them. Their reactions were slow in coming. They were excited, but my DS who will turn 5 on our trip in December, really doesn't remember much about being there in 2000. My DD remembers some things, but she was only 4.5 at the time. So, it has taken about 3-4 days for the news to sink in, but they are really gearing up with the can we do this, can we do that questions now.

I wanted to surprise them with the trip, but decided to blab the news ahead of time. For one thing, I can't get it to myself--I am so excited!! For another, I wanted them to understand why we need to cut back on spending and whey they need to save their money, etc. We have also instituted allowances and they have to understand that it is so important that they do their chores, etc. to earn their Disney Dollars.

Anway, I just wanted to share. I thought surprising them with the trip (on the way to airport) was such a cool idea, but in the end I couldn't go thru with it. There were still be some surprises for them (we've never been in December before), but they know about the actual trip and can help with planning things that they want to do!

On your big news to the kids. We have three children also, and Im with you, I couldnt have been able to keep it a secret for long. But, having said that my dh is worse. We have been planning this since July 2002 and I wanted to hold off telling the kids till at least after Christmas. DH couldnt wait, they knew within a week, he was like a kid in a candy store, he was so excited to tell them. LOL Hope you have a great trip!!!!!

I know what you mean about the cutting back, do chores etc. We have told the kids that we are going to the Wisconsin Dells and need to save for all the water parks ;) we are going to WDW the week of DS b-day and it is very hard for me to keep it secret as I am not sure about a favorite thing he might like to do. They are buying the Dells story for now as they know those rooms are $250 and up in the summer :( and that a coke is $3.50 there (just like WDW) we leave 8/6 and our flight is 6 A.M.:eek: so we figured when the taxi pulls up we will tell them. They will be so sleepy they still won't fully comprehend it! I have to say tho, I miss having them to share the excitement of plannning with etc., as DH never gets involved in it, just gives his o.k. Glad you are going! Have fun!

I told our DD as soon as we made the decision to go again next October (2004). The funny thing was I think we're more excited about it at this point than she is! I know...it's a long way off but in adult time it's just around the corner. That and it'll be our little ones' (DD two and new baby due in December) first trip to the world!

I know as time dwindles down and we get under the year mark our oldest will start getting manic about the trip...of that I have no doubt!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter