• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We complained... here's what happened

PlutoTheDog89

DIS Veteran
You may remember a post I made during Christmas week. If you don't feel like reading it all, here's a summary:

- We're Disney diehards who have vacationed the week of Christmas (12/24-1/1) for the past 6/7 years.
- We started at Coronado Springs, but have stayed at POFQ the past three years.
- We've never had a problem. Sure, buses have been late, but we've rolled with the punches

- This year, the room was dirty upon checkin (dust on furniture, dirty mirrors, dead bugs on windowsill, crumbs on carpet and floor.) We disregarded it on the first day. We received early check-in, so we figured it was cleaned in haste.

- The next day, it was the same. The maid failed to leave us towels. The same the next day - limited towels and no soap. Room was dirty.

- My mom called and spoke with the maid service. A maid soon stormed into our room with a vacuum, was very nasty toward us and complained that she had already vacuumed. We were taken back, but after she vacuumed (hitting into furniture and continuing to complain), my mom kindly, but sternly said "if we're going to talk to you in a polite manner, we'd like the same in return."

- Long story short - the room went uncleaned (with the exception of our beds being made) the rest of the trip. We felt uncomfortable and had to hide our toothbrushes & when we'd see the maid around the resort, she'd coldly glare at us.

After complaining twice about our room's state, we gave up. This was the biggest negative from the trip, but not the only one. The bus service (for the first time we've stayed there) was a disaster. We missed a few FP+ reservations and were often rushing to make reservations. We once waited for a boat to Disney Springs. After 30 minutes, the line stretched about 50 people long. After 6pm, the boats split. One from POR, one from POFQ. The POR boat would pass half full - one captain even honked his horn, then instructed the passengers to wave at the long line while he pointed and laughed.

As for the parks - EMH barely existed. We arrived at 7:30am on Christmas Day and they were allowing off-site guests into the park. During nighttime EMH, only a few cast members checked Magic Bands on the rides. Many off-site guests not wearing MagicBands were waiting on line, which drove up the wait times. My family is very dependent on EMH and we often plan our day around it.

ANYWAY - TL;DR We complained about our incident with the maid, the transportation issues and the CM's allowing off-site guests on rides and into the park during nighttime and morning EMH. We rarely complain, but this trip had too many negatives and frankly, it felt like Disney didn't care.

We wrote a long email and honestly, didn't think Disney would respond. They called us last night. After hearing my mom's account of the vacation, the CM apologized and then did something we did NOT expect. He offered us a three-night stay at a moderate resort - which can be used anytime we want. Because transportation was such a problem, he also offered us a two-day park-hopper ticket for each of our family members. We were shocked. My mom then asked about the expiration of the offers. She said that we were really interested in staying in a deluxe next Christmas. Would we be able to use the moderate offer, say, two or three years from now or during a different time? He paused and said "let me see what I can do." He put us on hold and said "okay, instead of the moderate stay, we're going to credit you for a three-night stay, that way you can use it toward a deluxe stay next Christmas." WOW. My mom thanked him and said it was way more than she expected.

Talk about Disney magic. Honestly - we complained in the hopes that Disney would just improve. We liked POFQ and while we didn't plan on staying there again (I know, it can happen anywhere), we hoped that they would pay closer attention to the rooms. We also didn't feel that the maid embodied what makes a Disney CM great. We've encountered a lot of great CMs over the years. No matter where you stay, though, you should never be spoken to in the manner that the maid spoke to us.

I was timid about posting this. I hope no one discovers this thread and tries to take advantage of Disney's offer. Don't complain just to complain, you know? I think we had a solid reason for complaining and it was nice to know that Disney actually read the email and looked into the situation. They went above and beyond, though. And - if I'm gonna post a complaint on here, I'm gonna give them credit when they do something awesome like this.

WOW!I know A LOT of Guests experience all 3 of your issues and don't take the time to complain.

Good for you that you took the time and kudos to Disney for going WAY above and beyond!:)

WOW!I know A LOT of Guests experience all 3 of your issues and don't take the time to complain.

Good for you that you took the time and kudos to Disney for going WAY above and beyond!:)

Yeah, and we don't normally complain, either. All in all, a memorable trip and we really had fun. I wish we had that weather right now, as much as it was a bit of a detriment at times! BUT - we spend a lot to go each year and we expect a certain standard from Disney. That's why we continue to go back to Disney rather than, say, Europe.

We don't like to complain either, but you certainly had plenty of valid reasons to speak up. I'm glad they came through for you. Just curious, when did you send the original complaint? I'm asking because if you sent it upon your return from your trip, it took them a while to respond. However the results are great; :earsboy:

We don't like to complain either, but you certainly had plenty of valid reasons to speak up. I'm glad they came through for you. Just curious, when did you send the original complaint? I'm asking because if you sent it upon your return from your trip, it took them a while to respond. However the results are great; :earsboy:

We sent it about a week after we returned... Probably around January 5th. Two weeks isn't bad. I've heard of people waiting 4 months.

I think it's awesome that they came through for you like this. I do think this was a an exceptional experience and not just a "complain to complain" experience. That's some true Disney magic and I hope you enjoy your free stay!

Glad to hear Disney is making it up to you! They don't hear all bad, after our last trip I actually sent an email to customer service to thank a particular cast member who was really wonderful to my little girl. I got a standard reply back. I hope my compliments made it to the cast member and that they paid as much attention to that as to the complaints that they get. In your situation I definitely would have complained as well!

Thank you for posting your response from Disney. So often we read about the original complaint but never hear back what the end result was. Glad that you got a little Disney magic!

We really loved POFQ when we stayed there in September for the first time. The room was extremely clean and we left a tip at the end of our stay along with a note to say how much we appreciated the maid's work. I can only imagine if we'd had your experience we probably wouldn't plan to stay there again either. I'm so glad Disney responded to you and offered this awesome compensation. Beyond that, I really hope they followed up to find out who your maid was to help her readjust her attitude or simply let her find other employment.

I'm glad they responded and looked into your complaints. A few years ago I walked into a dirty room at POR. Because of a bad knee and long day, I couldn't face walking to the desk and used room phone telling them I needed to speak to resort check in desk. Within 5 minutes I received a call from the resort. I explained the problem that the room I was given wasn't clean. They said they'd send housekeeping, but I was so tired I asked if I could just be moved to another room. Didn't want to wait an hour for housekeeping to arrive and clean.
They did find me another room, river view! I was booked in GV.

After moving rooms, we weren't in our new room 10 min when a manager was at my door, apologizing. He went to the room to inspect it. Turns out housekeeping only did a clean for returning guest, not new guest. That would mean sheets weren't changed, and not a thorough clean. I'm very glad I spoke up, and not just accepted a dirty room or I would hsve been sleeping on dirty sheets Ick.

They took the problem seriously, and went the extra step to look into it, and speak to housekeeping, turns out it was someone new. Good job POR! This was the only time I've ever been put into a dirty room in all my visits.

We really loved POFQ when we stayed there in September for the first time. The room was extremely clean and we left a tip at the end of our stay along with a note to say how much we appreciated the maid's work. I can only imagine if we'd had your experience we probably wouldn't plan to stay there again either. I'm so glad Disney responded to you and offered this awesome compensation. Beyond that, I really hope they followed up to find out who your maid was to help her readjust her attitude or simply let her find other employment.

Yeah, it was a catch 22. We never want to get anyone fired or in trouble, but we couldn't just file a complaint without including her name. In that case, we could have made any claims without citing the employee.

It was never in doubt that we'd return to Disney. We even cited that in the note and reiterated that during the phone call. Of course we'll be back - we're Disney addicts... but it certainly made us rethink making it an annual thing. But, seeing Disney take action (even if they had just called to hear us out) warmed us back up to them. Say what you want - it's expensive, it's annoying planning things months, sometimes years in advance - THIS is exhibit A as to why you dish out the dollars to go to Disney. They stand by their product and readily accept the blame when something goes amiss. Find me an all-inclusive or other vacation spot ready to do that!

Yeah, it was a catch 22. We never want to get anyone fired or in trouble, but we couldn't just file a complaint without including her name. In that case, we could have made any claims without citing the employee.

Well, in this case she did need to be reprimanded and if her attitude continued she would need to be let go. As you said, she did not demonstrate the attitude needed to work for Disney.

Given that our Sept stay there was our first, we probably wouldn't return to POFQ had we experienced what you did. It seems that Disney fully understood that this would be the impact that such an experience would have on any customer and rightly compensated you. So, well done Disney!

Exactly this! My parents always stay at SoG and they don't get magic bands there and have the same EMH benefits as Disney Resort guests.

They checked our bands when we were there. Otherwise how do they make sure people aren't taking advantage of it?

How did you know that some people were offsite guests? You don't have to wear a magic band.

Well for the morning - We witnessed the parking lot Ferry pull up at 7:30am and all of the guests entering the park - sure, these could have been resort guests that drove.

But at night, they use the MBs (for the most part) to check if you're staying on-site. A few CMs checked, but many rides did not. Sure, a lot of the guests COULD HAVE been on-site.. but a lot of them also could have not.

When we stayed at AoA last year we loved the resort but the room was not cleaned. Curtain had stained pink yogurt all down it and crumbs all over the floor. We called house keeping and they never came. I then went to the front desk and they gave us a free day at the parks while they cleaned our room from top to bottom. We were doing a spilt stay and weren't doing the parks until the next resort so it was nice that we didn't have to wait around. The manager came by a few times to check on us. Then when we moved resorts to AKL they lost our pillows that we had bagged. The front desk at AKL ran out to target and got us new pillows and pillow cases. Service from the front desks were great that trip. House keeping not so much.... when at AKL the do not disturb sign was up. I think this trip I will do the same.

They checked our bands when we were there. Otherwise how do they make sure people aren't taking advantage of it?

We stay DVC and have MB's and they check those when we are there for EMH, when my parents are there at the same time as us and they are staying at SOG, they have a card that is checked for EMH's. That's how they know.

Last edited:
I was there last week and saw the major line for the boat from Disney Springs to POFQ one evening. We were getting on for POR and it was barely full at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter