We are Home

nepean

Mouseketeer
We arrived home at 10:45 this morning after an all night drive. We happily arrived 15 minutes before the snow started here in Ottawa. We had planned on stopping one night but I had the energy and good roads and weather so I drove. I will put the extra cash in next year's Mickey fund.

Two weeks of Disney fun and I didn't gain any weight. I lost 1/2 pound. I amso happy since I worked so hard since early summer to loose 36 pounds. I must admit that if I lived there I would probably gain 360 pounds. I love gravy and every restaurant loves it too.

Trip report in a few days.

Nepean

Wow, I know I couldn't drive straight thru! That's amazing. Glad you had a good 2 wks, welcome home!

Marilynn

So glad you left the sunshine for us! ;) Enjoy the -blech- snow!!

:sunny:

Welcome Back, Nepean. Glad you had a great trip. I tend to lose weight when we are there, all that walking and I'm far to busy to eat, lol

Welcome home, two weeks in wdw would be really nice.

Which route did you take for driving.

Deb.

Hi Cottontail:

We took I-81, 66, 17, 95 and 4. The longest part is 81 and 95. I find the drive through Pennsylvania long, long, long. Last night it was even longer. Fortunately I travelled behind a group of three trucks from Tennessee. When they slowed I slowed. Each time there was a cop shortly there after. We made really good time. I am a little tired tonight but not as tired as I would be if we had travelled the last half today in a blizzard.

Glad to be home but sad to leave.

So glad to hear you had a great trip and made it home safely. Looking forward to your trip report!!

nepean said:
Hi Cottontail:

We took I-81, 66, 17, 95 and 4. The longest part is 81 and 95. I find the drive through Pennsylvania long, long, long. Last night it was even longer. Fortunately I travelled behind a group of three trucks from Tennessee. When they slowed I slowed. Each time there was a cop shortly there after. We made really good time. I am a little tired tonight but not as tired as I would be if we had travelled the last half today in a blizzard.

Glad to be home but sad to leave.
Welcome home! I always feel sad to leave! We always take the same route from Upstate NY. You have a little further to go than us though. We get off 81 in Syracuse. I hope you enjoyed your trip. Duh, how could you not!

Hey there,

We live in Nepean too (Your user name should actually be "The city formerly known as "Nepean"! Hasn't amalgamation been great?! Don't you just love the higher taxes and reduced services? But, I digress....). Killer drive coming home - Pennsylvania is lonnnngggggg! And does I81 always have to be under construction?!!! We're thinking about trying the 66-17 route this time - we usually go through Baltimore-Washington (it looks shorter on the map and we've avoided rush hours for the most part). Love the drive down though - you can't beat the sites and the shopping. We usually try to stop in Savannah for a couple of nights on the way down - we absolutely fell in love with place 13 years ago. Highly recommend it to all I95 travellers.

Looking forward to the trip report! :D :D

Hi Dis Fan2:

Where do you stay when you go to savannah, right on the hwy 95 or elsewhere.

What kind of things are there to do in savannah, we might like to try it one day. Also what about safety are there areas to beware of.

Deb.

Ahhh Savannah,

Where to begin? Let me first say, I love the charm of the deep South - the large plantations (Boone Hall in Charleston, S.C.), the Spanish moss hanging from the trees, the friendly "Y'all come back now"s....

We have been in Savannah in late October several times - it reminds me very much of mid July here at home. We stay out on 1-95 - last time at a Hampton Inn for about $55/night. There are some really nice hotels in the Historic District but they're considerably more expensive - I'm going to try to get them through Priceline for our fall trip.

We first visited Savannah in 1992 and did a walking tour of the Historic District. My wife and I had just started dating at that point, so the tour, the warm night and the romance of it all holds some very fond memories for me. Hang on, I'm getting verklempt.. talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a subject - Goofy is neither a dog, nor a human. Discuss.... There, I'm better.
(We actually dated for a week before getting engaged. We married in 94.) We visited again in 96 when my wife was expecting. She was about 6 months along so we decided to take a guided tour. This time, everyone was talking about a book - "the book" as the locals referred to it. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil has definitely changed Savannah. I bought a copy, which was autographed by one of the characters in the book (its non-fiction for the most part) and really enjoyed it. It opened up a whole new dimension to the city that I'd already fallen for. I don't know if I would recommend reading it before you visit or after - I think after would be best. That way you won't zero in on several spots in the city based on what you'd read.

Spots I'd recommend:

The Historic District - walking or guided (trolley) tour. I'm not into architecture, but it really is interesting. And beautiful. The opening scene, as well as several others, from Forrest Gump were shot in this area - the bench where he sits waiting for the bus was placed in front of Chippewa Square, I believe.

River Street - nice restaurants along the Savannah River, a bit of night life, shops, souvenirs.

Bonaventure Cemetery - partly because of the book, mostly because it's an amazing place. Johnny Mercer is one of several famous individuals buried there. A little out of the way, but wow!

I can say that I felt safe at our hotel (interior corridors, right off the I95) and during the day in the above noted locales. River Street was nice in the evening and I didn't worry about safety. We pretty much confine our visits to the Historic District and the route to it from the interstate is fairly direct and didn't concern me in the day, and was fairly quiet at night. I was only concerned about safety once - we got lost, well to the south of the historic area in what appeared to be a fairly "economically troubled" area. We've got them in Ottawa too - we just know enough to avoid them.

If you love the romance and charm of the south, you will love Savannah. Read the book (at some point), the movie didn't do it justice.

This link is pretty good for information:

http://www.ourcoast.com/savannahcityguide/visiting/

Okay, now I can't get "Moon River" and "Skylark" out of my head! :love: :love:

Okay DisFan great info, you have been very informative. The town is very close to your heart, I can tell, lol.

We also love spanish moss, but have never stopped in savannah but would love to on a trip where we have a bit of time. We did stop an hour towards florida in Kingsland georgia, or something like that, it was a nice little town. I think it had somesort of military or navy station there.

We wanted to tour the military area, but were told to stay far away from it especially that day the terror alert colour had moved up a notch. Or we might not be seeing wdw the next week, lol.

We will definitely have to check out Savannah. Thanks again,

Deb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter