We are heading back to the City of Lights, and DLP - Rough Draft

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Hi and Welcome... or should I say Bonjour...

DH and I have been to Paris and DLP... and we absolutely fell in love with Paris, the French people, and their way of life... and are excited and looking forward to a return visit...

We are heading back next year to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Some time towards the end of April and beginning of May... We are hoping for 2 weeks 14 full days, yet with DH's work realistically it most likely will be 10 to 12 days...

I kept all the info from our first trip, and I did a trip report as well...
here is the link
https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...ris-and-dlp-adventure-completed-7-10.3681409/

There is so much to research and I am totally up for the job... There is so much that we want to revisit and new places to visit... I am just so excited...

One of my first delimma's is DLP... We have been before, and I know much has changed since our trip..
First option would to be go straight to DLP for 2 nights, then go into Paris for the rest of our trip...
or
Second option would be to get settled in Paris, and make a Day trip to DLP... which means using the trains which last time we were there they were on strike so this is a real unknown...
or
Third option - skip DLP this trip...or just play it by ear once there, with park reservations its really not something that we can just okay lets try it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next up, high on our list is Mont Saint Michel, and Normandy...

We have had alot of suggestions from our friends on this... everything from bus tour, which DH and I both are not fans of getting on bus, and not having any control, semi private tour, to private car tour, then some suggested using the trains which the whole, trains on strike come into play...
What I am looking for is someone that has actually done this as a day trip... I know that it Normandy is about 2 hours from Paris and then another 2+ hours to Mont Saint Michel.... so it would be a very long day..
One of our friends did this trip, here is their itinerary - Pick up from their hotel somewhere around 5:00 am then they went to Mont Saint Michel, spent several hour there, lunch, and a stop for shopping in a small village, on to Normandy viewed the beaches, and memorial, Dinner, and drive back into Paris... they were dropped off around midnight. She said it was wonderful, he was the cost was insane...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next thing would be a day trip into the French wine region...

We have had so many suggestions here... really overwhelming...
Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated...

So this is the beginning of another adventure for us.. I hope you all will follow along and see how thing twist and turn along the way, and how our final plans shake out...

Merci

April/May is a Beautiful time of year in France! My moms French and we visit family there (in a suburb of Paris called Etampes) every year. Have you visited Versailles? It’s beautiful. The wine region’s beautiful too (do a vinyard/wine tasting tour) and I LOVE the Riviera. The Alpine area is beautiful too and you can explore a couple different countries that are very close to each other there. Alsace Lorraine is beautiful too, on German border so it’s a very unique mix of French snd German culture, food and language. Personally I’d skip DLP and explore France. So much to see! You’ll have a great trip no matter what you choose to do!

April/May is a Beautiful time of year in France! My moms French and we visit family there (in a suburb of Paris called Etampes) every year. Have you visited Versailles? It’s beautiful. The wine region’s beautiful too (do a vinyard/wine tasting tour) and I LOVE the Riviera. The Alpine area is beautiful too and you can explore a couple different countries that are very close to each other there. Alsace Lorraine is beautiful too, on German border so it’s a very unique mix of French snd German culture, food and language. Personally I’d skip DLP and explore France. So much to see! You’ll have a great trip no matter what you choose to do!

Yes, We went to Versaille the last trip in was semi private half day... it was not enough time... we are going back for sure this trip, most likely for a full day, went want to see the gardens which we ran out of time last trip, and of course a tour of the palace again.. the hall of mirrors is manifique!!

As well back to Louvre again, we spent around 6 hours and did get to see the Mona Lisa, We only got to go through the wing where it is on display... so we have quite a bit to cover...

DH and I do not commando tour, we take our time... We love just walking the street, sitting in a cafe watching Paris go by...

I started practicing my french, I knew enough to get by, and I want to learn more for this next trip..

I jotted down your suggestions... Merci.

Yes, We went to Versaille the last trip in was semi private half day... it was not enough time... we are going back for sure this trip, most likely for a full day, went want to see the gardens which we ran out of time last trip, and of course a tour of the palace again.. the hall of mirrors is manifique!!

As well back to Louvre again, we spent around 6 hours and did get to see the Mona Lisa, We only got to go through the wing where it is on display... so we have quite a bit to cover...

DH and I do not commando tour, we take our time... We love just walking the street, sitting in a cafe watching Paris go by...

I started practicing my french, I knew enough to get by, and I want to learn more for this next trip..

I jotted down your suggestions... Merci.

Your best bet is to fly to Paris & hire a car rentalcars.com ( fuel full to full & unlimited Km. )

An Estate car is best Forget DLP & head for Normandy

Look up The Logis Hotel chain of hotels & go for Half Pension Rate ( Dinner Bed & Breakfast

I am in Deurne The Netherlands & Staying at The Fletcher Hotel there till next tuesday

OP here...

I was wondering about Sacre'-Coeur Basilica - and the area surrounding it...what's to do other than tour the church... Thoughts?

I was talking about it with a friend just batting around idea's... When I mention this spot... she said that the area around it is not safe, its the easiest place in Paris for tourist, to get rob, beaten or worse... they experienced it first hand, a group robbed them and push them around... The police where called, basically they were told, they are a pack of street kids, you must be aware... and that was it... her DH was wearing a money belt with their Id's, CC, and some euro's...under his pants, which he said was the only time he was glad to have a belly.. lol... they only got her day bag, with snacks and a small amount of Euros, maps and a sweater, and her DH's travel watch... which was an old watch... thankfully she had not wore her wedding rings, or any jewelry that had any value...

When we were in Paris, the concierge at our hotel suggested very strongly to keep out of this area, due to the demonstrations, that were happening...

So anyone been here recently?

OP here...

I was wondering about Sacre'-Coeur Basilica - and the area surrounding it...what's to do other than tour the church... Thoughts?

I was talking about it with a friend just batting around idea's... When I mention this spot... she said that the area around it is not safe, its the easiest place in Paris for tourist, to get rob, beaten or worse... they experienced it first hand, a group robbed them and push them around... The police where called, basically they were told, they are a pack of street kids, you must be aware... and that was it... her DH was wearing a money belt with their Id's, CC, and some euro's...under his pants, which he said was the only time he was glad to have a belly.. lol... they only got her day bag, with snacks and a small amount of Euros, maps and a sweater, and her DH's travel watch... which was an old watch... thankfully she had not wore her wedding rings, or any jewelry that had any value...

When we were in Paris, the concierge at our hotel suggested very strongly to keep out of this area, due to the demonstrations, that were happening...

So anyone been here recently?
Sacre coeur/ mon martre are lovely (in the 18th arrondissement I believe) and I’ve never had issues there, It’s actually a very popular area to visit and one of my favorite neighborhoods. Picasso lived there. Now the 19th arrondissement can be bad at night time. But be on guard everywhere because street crime on tourists can happen anywhere. Fyi if you ever need to know which arrondissement you’re in every street sign has a number at top followed by arr which is the arrondissement you’re in.

ooh, following along as well! Any recommendations for walking/bike tours? There seem to be a lot but not sure how to figure out which companies are good/reputable.

ooh, following along as well! Any recommendations for walking/bike tours? There seem to be a lot but not sure how to figure out which companies are good/reputable.

OP here...

On our last trip, we did not do a structured/paid walking tour. I had bought Rick Steves travel guide... which offered walking guide in each area... DH and I prefer to go at our own pace, skip what we aren't interested in, or just peek in and move along and more time in certain areas, as we wish...

Lots of good stuff in his books... totally worth a read. We took the book along, which helped out alot...

Talk to the concierge in your hotel, they are a wealth of info, they should have maps, as well our concierge or even someone at the desk would ask politely what are your plans today, and give us some tips, show us on the maps, what stop to get off at, even restaurants good or bad, things like stay out of this area because of demonstrations... or the trains are not running today due to the strikes...

It’s been a few years but we used Fat Tire Bicycle Tours to visit Versailles and loved it. We picked up picnic items from the town, ate on the grounds of the palace then toured the palace. Our adult children used them to tour the Normandy Beaches but I don’t know if they still offer that.

OP here...

On our last trip, we did not do a structured/paid walking tour. I had bought Rick Steves travel guide... which offered walking guide in each area... DH and I prefer to go at our own pace, skip what we aren't interested in, or just peek in and move along and more time in certain areas, as we wish...

Lots of good stuff in his books... totally worth a read. We took the book along, which helped out alot...

Talk to the concierge in your hotel, they are a wealth of info, they should have maps, as well our concierge or even someone at the desk would ask politely what are your plans today, and give us some tips, show us on the maps, what stop to get off at, even restaurants good or bad, things like stay out of this area because of demonstrations... or the trains are not running today due to the strikes...
Love the Rick Steves books. He seems to understand what most Americans want to see. We tend to do it ourselves, too, but it’s good to have a push in the right direction to get started.

Love the Rick Steves books. He seems to understand what most Americans want to see. We tend to do it ourselves, too, but it’s good to have a push in the right direction to get started.

OP here

I'm a super planner, not in the sense that every minute has to be taken up. I like alot of wiggle room.

I agree with the push in the right direction, for me I have to have a starting point, then you can move forward from there. I always like to have plan A, B and C... even sometimes D, and E... just in case something falls through... which is just part of traveling...

When we travel our plan is always choose a venue then see what else was around it, and go from there, ... For instance the day we visited Notre Dame, and we could not climb the tower as it was raining like crazy... We also visited the Marais, and Sainte Chapelle absolutely breath taking, had a wonderful lunch in a Cafe', not so many tourist... kinda off the beaten path, with a view of Seine, and Notre Dame. We had planned to visit the Crypt at Notre Dame it was closed for repairs, then we planned to go to the Conciergerie Museum, where they held Marie Antoinette, unfortunately, they closed early, due to the demonstrations... As well the hop on hop off buses stopped running early several hours early... so we decided to leave the area... there was still other things that we wanted to see...so we are planning to go back for sure.

I’ve been to Paris probably 20+ times. My favorite place in the world. Rick Steves has some excellent suggestions for groupings of places to visit in the same area. I like your style of planning, LovesTimon, it is perfect for the City of Light.

I have zero desire to visit DLP. I want the real thing, not an Americanized, Disneyfied version of it. But I love to go to WDW.

I’ve been to Paris probably 20+ times. My favorite place in the world. Rick Steves has some excellent suggestions for groupings of places to visit in the same area. I like your style of planning, LovesTimon, it is perfect for the City of Light.

I have zero desire to visit DLP. I want the real thing, not an Americanized, Disneyfied version of it. But I love to go to WDW.
I feel this way about DLP too. I’d rather explore Europe. You can do a lot with the money you’d spend there. Been to France every year of my life pretty much and still haven’t visited DLP. My relatives (who live in suburb of Paris called Etampes in a beautiful 400 year old 3 story town house) have never visited either. Castles don’t excite them much lol because they have the real thing. Speaking of, Carcassone is one of my favorite castles snd walled medieval towns and it’s not too far from Paris. It’s amazing

I feel this way about DLP too. I’d rather explore Europe. You can do a lot with the money you’d spend there. Been to France every year of my life pretty much and still haven’t visited DLP. My relatives (who live in suburb of Paris called Etampes in a beautiful 400 year old 3 story town house) have never visited either. Castles don’t excite them much lol because they have the real thing. Speaking of, Carcassone is one of my favorite castles snd walled medieval towns and it’s not too far from Paris. It’s amazing
The food is France really is as good as advertised, too. It puts anything I’ve had at WDW to shame. I’m not going to waste a meal there wondering if by some miracle Disney can actually put a good meal out in DLP when it puts out such dreck at WDW.

Let the slings and arrows fly! I think the food at Disney is mediocre at best.

Hopping in just to keep tabs on your planning and maybe learn a bit as I work on my own rough draft for this June (thread coming soon, I'm sure). Your trip report was really helpful, and I love how you organized by topic!

We are spending a couple of weeks in France, with an end of June stay at DLP. During the Paris part of our tour in mid-June (and we've been to Paris a few times), I thought about going to see the Catacombs. I've looked at on your own, guided and other ways to see them-- but I'm looking for tips from those of you out there that have gone to see the Catacombs. Thanks!!

I highly recommend checking out Airbnb Experiences. We've used them in various countries and always have a good time. Already booked 4 experiences in Paris for June/July. I'd be careful of the "free" walking tours unless they have a maximum number of people allowed.

OP here,

Thanks for that suggestion Carcassone, jotting down in the info folder... I would love to visit somewhere like that a wall medieval town... so cool.

OP here,

Thanks for that suggestion Carcassone, jotting down in the info folder... I would love to visit somewhere like that a wall medieval town... so cool.

If you are interested in Carcassonne, then check out the book or mini series Labyrinth by Kate Moss, which is set and was filmed there.

About 10 years ago I visited extended family who lived in the area and we took a day trip to Carcassonne. Its a fascinating place, but theres a lot of walking on uneven surfaces.

OP here,

We live outside the back gate of WDW, in Winter Garden Fl... and are AP holders. All 6 parks are on our bucket list, so far at this point we have of course our home park WDW, we have visited DL in California twice, we just got back from our 2nd trip in March... and DLP once...

We had planned a huge trip to Japan, including Disneyland Japan, unfortunately... Covid got in the way of all of that, we had air, and hotel all booked and paid for... what a mess... We still plan on going to those parks, looks like its going to be awhile for sure...

I will say that DH and I both really enjoyed DLP, it has alot to offer, and see... the dragon under the castle was really something...We both felt that you can really stop and enjoy your surrounding here... not the madhouse at the House of the Mouse here in Orlando... I will say that the best cheese cake I have ever had, even including NYC was at the steakhouse in the downtown Disney area at DLP, as well the Table service meals where all very good, only the buffet in my trip report sorta let us down... For us it was really fun, and we enjoyed very much. I think that's one reason we are all wishy washy on whether to visit this trip or not... For us it was worth it...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter