We are considering DVC but...

janets

A bad day at Disney is better than a good day anyw
frankly, we would only be using points to stay at either the Contemporary or the GF. I don't mean to sound snooty or anything, but when I go on vacation, I absolutely do not want to worry about making beds or cooking or anything. I like to stay at a resort that has daily maid service and with a small child we love the monorail.

That said, is there anyone who belongs who never stays at their "home" resort? I understand that the DVC resorts are better values for the points, but I guess I'm concerned because I don't want to find myself paying for points to stay in either of these resorts and then find out that there is a discount code available that lets me pay cash that ends up being less cost wise than my points (i.e. we have a tentative booking for 12/21-12/25 at Cont. Tower for $214/night; if I calculate the point value of that, it ends up being cheaper to pay with cash). I know that these discounts might not be available every year at prime travel time, but I guess I'm worried about making such a big investment. I figure that we'll need somewhere between 200 and 250 points.

If anyone has any information/guidance in this matter, I'd appreciate it. Especially with the new MB program, if I buy into HHI, I can give back 1st years points and save quite a bit, since DVC is currently (or at least when we were there a few weeks ago) offering you a use year starting in April if you purchase by end of September. I can certainly wait until after next April to use points, so I can take advantage of this program and put it towards a down payment.

Thanks.

Janet

Disneyland 1990
Offsite 1991
CBR 1997
Swan/Contemporary 1/01
Contemporary/DCL Wonder 8/01

Hi Janet,

If you're only planning to stay at the Disney resorts it's not worth a DVC membership. You'll pay far more than you would with a discount.

I used to think like you do--there is no way I'm making beds and doing laundry while I'm on vacation! But I have discovered that NOTHING can beat having a one-bedroom apartment in which to spend my time at WDW. The extra room is wonderful, the huge jacuzzi tub is fabulous. I love having the full kitchen for quick breakfasts. The full size fridge is great for drinks and ice cream. And I don't have to worry about clearing out of the room so the maid can clean.

You may want to try staying in one of the villas before you make a decision. You may be pleasantly surprised.

It has always been a poor choice to use points to stay at the deluxe resorts. They recently changed the points needed and they have gone up even more. Considering the deep discounts being offered this year I would not recommend a DVC purchase to stay at the GF or the Contemporary.

However, I think you should give DVC a try sometime if you are regular visitors to Disney. You may be quite surprised what a stay in a one-bedroom or larger is like. I'm guessing most DVC'ers don't cook meals -- they just use the kitchen for the ease of getting breakfast or a snack or even a lunch or dinner in without having to wait in line or have a PS. Maid service really isn't missed by the majority either but it is available for an additional fee.

Joining DVC to stay at the hotels is not a good idea. Taking a closer look at DVC itself, maybe trying it out, is an excellent idea for any regular WDW visitor.

Talk about luxury....I wouldn't even dream of staying in the one or two bedroom units. We stay in the Grand Villa at OKW every year. This is the life. The ease and comfort of these units with another couple and the common kids sharing the third bedroom just can't be beat.

The housekeeping isn't really a big deal. We paid for an extra cleaning once. Really, it wasn't even needed. The hardest thing is the dishes. But we don't really cook large meals often, just a few snacks and some morning coffee and maybe breakfast a few times.

Why not purchase your points at VWL and request a daily maid service? The only thing you would be missing from the GF is the candy on the pillow at night. ;)

Prior to joining DVC, we were huge GF fans. Since our recent visit to VWL, we will not look back to any of the deluxe resorts unless it a last resort (no pun intended). Not to take anything from them, they are all great.

Based on today's $$. If you compare the GF for $214 a night to a studio @ VWL for 12 points a night plus cost per point $5.48 (1.83 cost per point + $3.65 per due) would be $65.76 per night (Sun - Thurs). For Friday and Saturday, it would require 23 points or $126.04 per night. If you added the $25 per day for maid service, it would be $90.76 (Sun - Thurs) & $151.04 each (Fri and Sat.). The cost for the 24th and 25th would be $129.12 including the maid service. If my numbers are correct, it seems like a rather large savings including the maid service.

Bear in mind, you will have to pay the 11% tax on the GF room.

Though the VWL requires the boat not the monorail, it is a very short ride to MK where you could grab the monorail if you wanted to venture to Epcot.

Just my $.02

Enjoy either way!

hi: i agree that you should try a dvc unit before you decide. the studios are about the same size as a deluxe room; the 1br and larger units are phenomenal. i, too, thought i'd miss the housekeeping; but that was only til the first trip without. it's just not worth it to me. the ease of being able to throw a load of laundry in when you get back home at night is great. if you should try a dvc unit and still think you'd only use the points for the gf, then dvc may not work out well for you financially.

I guess it would make sense for us to try one of the units available through the DVC to see if indeed it will suit our needs. I guess I'm just so used to hotels that I haven't given much thought to the convenience of having the extra room or indeed being able to make that pot of coffee first thing without having to leave the room.

I guess I'll put off a purchase until we have a chance to try it out. You've all been an incredible help and I hope to be able to come back for more information again.

Janet

Disneyland 1991
Offsite 1992
CBR 1997
Swan/Contemporary 1/01
Contemporary/DCL Wonder 8/01

Janet,
To be fair, you need to try something other than a studio unit. I would reccomend trying a 1 bedroom at VWL or BWV since you seem to prefer the hotel atmosphere. We like the vacation home type atmosphere at OKW, but VWL and BWV have a hotel feel that you will probably enjoy. If being close to MK is your goal, then VWL would be the best choice.

Before we bought into DVC I couldn't imagine staying anywhere but on the monorail. To me, taking the monorail over to the Magic Kingdom was *the* Disney experience. After doing alot of research into DVC we decided to take the plunge and bought at Boardwalk Villas. I am now a complete convert. As convenient as the monorail is to the MK, it's just as easy to hop on a Friendship Launch at BWV (or the soon-to-be Beach Club Villas) and go to Epcot and MGM. Actually both parks are within walking distance but sometimes the boat (like the monorail) adds to the experience. The strollers even roll right onto the boats so we don't have to juggle the bags, backpacks and kids. Yes, we still have to take a bus to the Magic Kingdom, but the convenience to the other 2 parks more than makes up for having to take the bus to MK and AK.

As for housekeeping. I too thought I would *really* miss it. I was actually surprised to find myself relieved knowing that when we left our room, no one would be going in while we were gone. We would make the beds in the morning and generally tidy up around the living room but since we don't use the kitchen very often - just the fridge, toaster, coffee pot, stovetop (for tea) and the microwave - there isn't a whole lot to clean up. The washer & dryer in the 1 and 2 bedrooms is the ultimate convenience. In the afternoon we'd throw a load of towels into the washer and then switch them to the dryer at night. We don't pack as much since I've found that I end up washing everyone's favorite (most comfortable) outfits to wear again during the trip. And the dryer comes in handy for drying sneakers and wet clothing when your family gets caught in the rain.

I hope you'll give some of the DVC resorts a chance. If you think DVC is worth it for your family then you definately don't want to be 'spending' more points on a regular room than you would on a 1 or 2 bedroom at a DVC resort. Good luck :)

I must agree about Housekeeping.

Our biggest concern about purchasing was the fact we didn't get daily maid service.

However, after going to WDW last year as DVC members, we found we really preferred not having daily housekeeping. We didn't worry about what time we have to be out of the room or if the room would be done when we returned. My wife didn't feel good for a couple of days and she commented it was nice not to have to worry about someone knocking on the door!

Once you try living without it, you won't miss it.

BTW, I also totally agree that a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom knocks the socks off of the other deluxe hotels!

Just be aware that if you are dead set on having maid service daily, you can easily get it as member at a DVC resort for an extra charge. It costs $25/$30/$40 a day for a studio/1BR/2BR. In fact, you can buy it for any number of days and skip it for others. You just order it when you reserve or when you check-in. And note in the long run, DVC plus the extra cost of maid service if you get it will still be cheaper than renting at a deluxe every year.

I agree with those above that you should not buy unless you plan to stay at a DVC resort most of the time. The point cost is too high for a monorail resort, cash ressies are often available there at a discount, and the points needed to reserve those resorts can rise from year to year

Finally, if you feel spoiled at the monorail resorts then you should try BWV, where I own. You now have a "small child." That child is going to get older. We have older ones and their high preference is the Epcot resort area. For convenience it cannot be beat--MGM and Epcot are within walking distance;there are about 2 dozen restaurants within walking distance; and you also have the BW for night life.

Note you mentioned buying at HH with the idea of going to WDW all the time. Don't do that. Once you have fixed on a DVC resort you actually want to stay at, buy at that resort to have the home resort reservation advantage. (You could be a candidate for the Beach Club Villas to be opened next year).

janets....

As always, great advice from all the folks on this board. My only additional $.02 is to emphasize that DVC is not the best choice if you really have your heart set on the deluxe resorts each year.

Recently, there was an announcement that the points needed to get rooms at the resorts went up dramatically starting next year. There were several DVC members who were very disappointed because that feature of DVC was very important to them. There is no future guarantee that the points needed to book resort rooms will not go up dramatically, or in fact that option could disappear altogether.

I only point this out because there were a lot of bad feelings (understandably so) for those people who like to use DVC points to get resort reservations.

Last but not least, as has been stated here forever, if you buy into DVC you are well advised to "buy where you want to stay". This has to do with the 11 month/ 7 month reservation advantage you get for your "home" resort.

We always stayed at the Poly before we bought DVC-OKW and I like you was in the luxury vacation mode re-housekeeping. I didn't want to make beds etc. (You can pay for daily maid service). Well, I can't even begin to tell you how nice it is not to have rush out of your room because of maid service, to be able to have breakfast in your room (we do a cold breakfast--no cooking) and you can relax as much as you choose. The time you save not having to go out for breakfast is worth making a bed and putting dishes in the dishwasher. We also have all kinds of snacks, drinks, etc so that you can munch whenever you want. I thought we would go back to the Poly, but since we have been members (since 94-I think) I have never wanted to give up the spaciousness of OKW for the Poly. I still love the Poly and we always visit there on our trips, but I hang my hat at OKW.

I second and third everything everyone else has said but will emphasize to you that you should get a 1 BR or larger unit to try. Trust me thre can be no comparison to anything within reason at the GF, Poly, or Cont.

DVC was our way of making sure that we got a Deluxe Resort (and then some) at Value Resort prices.

As an aside, the convenience of the freezer to freeze bottles of water to take into the parks cannot be over-emphasized. And we only had 2 suitcases of clothes with us on our last trip.

Just to emphasize. It is unreasonable to buy DVC simply with the idea of staying at the non DVC Disney hotels. This is true both due to the cost and the lack of any future guarantees for the programs existence. Do try out DVC but sounds like you'd be happier being at one of the resorts. That might make BW, WL and BC better thought for you. Let me second the idea to try it. Consider a 2 BR so you can get a feel for both the studio and larger units.

I didn't even think twice about the housekeeping. At home, we don't change our sheets every day, and I have to admit that we don't always make the beds. We re-use our towels several times, though we did wash them at OKW a couple of times because they don't dry as fast in FL as NM! It was nice having our trash emptied on day 4, and fresh towels, but I also really liked not having someone in the room every day. And when we needed a night of downtime, the 1 BR was SO much nicer than a hotel room. We could even put the kid to bed before us and have some private time. Really worth it. We made breakfast, coffee, and had a couple of dinners in our room, and really liked being able to freeze our water bottles and refill them. Try a 1 or 2 BR, you will be spoiled rotten. BTW, we stayed at GF for two days before moving to OKW, and liked OKW so much better.

Diana,
You hit the nail on the head about our feelings exactly. There is no way we want people in our room everyday, and the added benefit of the kitchen with a freezer and the washer and dryer and all that room are such pluses! I always thought when we joined DVC that we would like to experience GF and Poly, but now that we have been members for 5 years, I have not had any desire to go anywhere but my OKW home, and the thought of staying in ANY hotel room pales to staying in my villa!

I absolutely agree with all the other posters. We also loved staying at the hotels but now wouldn't consider it. There is nothing better than coming back to your 1bdr, 2bdr, or GV and soaking in the jacuzzi tub with a glass of wine to remind me how much I don't miss the regular rooms. At OKW and BWV it is also nice to sit out on your balconey and watch the surroundings whether that be the LBV golf course, otters frolicking in the waterways by OKW, watching fireworks from the BWV, or taking in the sights of the BW every night. We have not stayed at the VWL but I'm sure there are great things to see there as well. In addition, we now take half of what we used to. We throw a load of laundry in as we leave and it is ready for the dryer when we come back. I don't mind this at all as a trade off for not taking so many bags. It is also nice in the morning to just go to your refrigerator and get a glass of OJ or fix yourself some toast and cereal without having to get up earlier to get yourself somewhere for breakfast. Like the other posters said, try a 1 bdr next time. I think you'll love it.

You can pay full price for the next 40 years by staying in a hotel room. Or - you can break even on your initial cost after about 5 years if you pay cash (more if you borrow) and get the next 35 years for the cost of your maintenance fee. Probably half of your maintenance fee would have gone for room taxes anyway. Its your choice!

janets,

I just spent 1 full hour typing in a response to your question. But during the time it took to type it, the system logged me out. Then I clicked the "submit" button and I lost everything. I'm disgusted to lose that much time. Maybe I'll take the time to type in all my info again tomorrow.

Anyway, I ran ALL the numbers, and it can actually save you money to use DVC points to stay at non-DVC resorts (even if you get a 40% cash discount). You save about 33%. (I used our example of staying at the Fort Wilderness cabins using DVC points.) I'll post the proof after I feel less disgusted about losing one hour's worth of typing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter