We’re Still Awake! An August MNSSHP Trip Report (Complete 4/10/21)

Man you guys had some serious FP luck on your date night! But really stinks that the weather didn't want to cooperate! And then that all the rides went down! But hooray for ending the night with two rides on SDD! And then getting a bonus ride on TSMM! Sounds like it was a fun and memorable night for you two :)

I'm sorry friends/kids had a rough dinner :( But thank goodness they missed the power outage!

It feels a bit surreal to be making notes on our Disney trip, with the park closed for who knows how long.
Doesn't it! I went from being depressed about no new trips in the future to grateful we just had a full year of trips under our belts and safely before all of this crazyiness started!

Hopefully, our combined efforts to take this seriously early will be sufficient to keep our health care system from being completely overwhelmed
Oye! I wish they had closed the beaches in Florida last week! But I hope you are right!

Our schools are closed until 4/20 (for now), so we have quite a bit of distancing ahead of us.
We are in Camden County, so we are still school district by school district. Right now the girls are out till April 14th. I am not holding my breath on that they actually go back then! Did they girls get alot of work to do? Morgan and Gwen are obviously older, and they have a full days worth of work to do each day.

The friends and the girls were headed to DS for exploration and a dinner at Raglan Road. They were using one family set of TS credits and having the kids share meals, so no extra out of pocket expense. While we were cleaning up, they were waiting for a DS bus at 4:37pm
They are brave taking 6 kids to DS!

While we were having our fun, the friends and the kids were having a miserable meal at Raglan Road. An hour after they were seated, they still hadn’t been served food and the kids weren’t having it. They eventually ate quickly and asked for their desserts to go. Of course, since the meal took so long, they also got caught in the crazy rain.
Yikes! I would have been like, do you see how many kids we have here! For the love of god, give us some food!

und us that ToT was down as well, so essentially the whole park was shuttered. I found out later that the friends and the kids had just missed a power failure in Disney Springs, too. They were on the bus back to the resort when the driver heard on the radio that DS didn’t have power. Their plan for night swimming was obviously toast, but FW had some card games that they played until bed.
That is quiet the night! Glad you guys make the most of it!

We tried Crew Cup lounge on our last night in Feb. We loved it. And will def be back next time we stay at Yacht Club!

While on the water, I was refreshing on mine and FW’s accounts (we had her backup MB in case we wanted to use snack credits) and grabbed at 6:10 FP for Star Tours. That meant we had ST, ToT, and RnR lined up between our 6 bands, plus the SDD rider swaps from earlier.

Wow! Amazing work.

When you’re buckled into a coaster waiting for it to start, five minutes feels like an eternity.

So true.

I immediately started refreshing on those bands (Hubby and A, in case you’re trying to keep track) and was able to pull a 6:20pm SDD. Is 6:01pm a HS drop time? It must have been that night because that’s crazy good luck.

Oo that's really great luck!

Then, I felt my foot hit a nasty puddle and dropped an expletive at the same time as Hubby.

Oh no :( . I'm with you- wet shoes are horrible.

. An hour after they were seated, they still hadn’t been served food and the kids weren’t having it.

Yikes. That's painful any time but with 6 kids- that's just mean.

Announcements were being made over the loudspeaker the opening of the theater was delayed and I knew, if they full on cancelled the show, that would mean an anytime FP valid the next day.

Smart!

It turns out a lightning strike had caused a power failure in the park, which was why everything was shut down.

Wow!!

After the extended downtime, Disney was keeping the rides operating late! After briefly discussing a third ride on SDD, we decided to go battle it out on TSMM instead. We walked straight through to the loading platform and were ready to go at 8:43pm.

That's so awesome! Maybe not how you expected date night to go, but definitely makes for better memories!

I double checked and the eight Fantasmic FPs had converted to anytimes that would be valid the next day, too.

Awesome!

That giddiness you described made me grin from ear to ear. There is absolutely nothing like getting Disney time with your spouse without the kids. You feel like you are getting away with something.

That's a great way of describing it: it did feel like we were getting away with something!

Man you guys had some serious FP luck on your date night! But really stinks that the weather didn't want to cooperate! And then that all the rides went down! But hooray for ending the night with two rides on SDD! And then getting a bonus ride on TSMM! Sounds like it was a fun and memorable night for you two

It was incredibly fun and memorable. Thank goodness they got everything back up and running, though. If not for the last 30 minutes of success, it would have been memorable for entirely different reasons.

Did they girls get alot of work to do? Morgan and Gwen are obviously older, and they have a full days worth of work to do each day.

They got a pretty good stash. They came home with 10 work days that each include book reports, sentence writing, decoding short sentences, math, a rotating special (gym, art, etc), and a social studies/science/health experience. That said, it's kindergarten, so we're talking short worksheets that we can get through in an hour or two. The packets run out on Tuesday, though, so we'll see how things looks once they start transitioning more fully to google classroom.

I'm with you- wet shoes are horrible.

It is a huge pet peeve of mine, moreso because we didn't have a ton of sneakers packed for the short trip.

Maybe not how you expected date night to go, but definitely makes for better memories!

It was totally memorable! It helped that things ended on such a positive note. If the park had just closed without us getting to TSL, it would have been quite a letdown.

August Day Three: Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party

You know that feeling when you can sleep in, there are no immediate responsibilities waiting for you, but you’re wide awake at 6:30 anyway? I sure do! Despite our exhausting prior day and the fact that I knew I’d be out well past my bedtime that night, I could not manage to rest in bed. I actually first woke up at 5:20am but managed to roll back over for a little while. I gave it up at 6:30 and headed out to the balcony with my phone instead.

wFwsP3il.jpg

The traffic sounds were pretty loud from the balcony, with a good amount of activity despite the early hour. You’d never know it from inside the room, though: Disney soundproofing is impressive. Once the girls started to stir, I went down to get coffee for our mugs and paper towels for our sneakers. The girls’ sneaks were a little damp, but Hubby’s and mine were drenched. I stuffed them with hand towels from the lobby bathroom and hoped that it’d do the trick in time for our afternoon plans. We had a lazy morning, having breakfast in the room and letting the kids watch Dis Jr while we waited for Stormalong Bay to open at 9. (My pre-parenthood self is horrified that I was up so early on vacation that I had to wait for a 9am open. Oh, to be young and kid-free again).

We met up with our friends on the way into the pool complex. Since we were there right at opening, we had our choice of seats and grabbed a couple that were in the shade with a clear view of the shallow, sandy bottom area. Everyone had a lovely morning of pool time. We floated on the lazy river, the braver members of the group hit the water slides, and the kids had fun playing with the sand and jumping in the shallow water. I was even able to come sit out poolside for a few minutes while the kids entertained themselves (this was the first summer our girls were strong enough swimmers to be supervised from afar, so sitting poolside was a novelty in and of itself).

IJmwujml.jpg

gWOHrTTl.jpg

tfgKQsSl.jpg

Gro89cxl.jpg

My girls were having a blast trying to make Mickey ears in their buckets, when FD3 came over and dumped a bucket of water on A’s head.

ea8Pgmwl.jpg

The only thing better than A’s pout in that pictures is FD3’s sh!t-eating grin, which you’ll just have to imagine. :rotfl2:

While I was at the chairs, various children realized they were hungry and came hunting for food. We broke out our snacks from the grocery delivery including whole apples. After eating half an apple each, FS5 and FD3 left half sitting on a napkin on the lounger and the squirrels caught wind of them. When people say Disney squirrels are aggressive, they aren’t kidding! These things had no fear, trying to snatch food despite the fact that I was sitting on the very next chair. My efforts to yell and shoo them away only pushed them back a couple of feet. Even after I wrapped everything securely, they kept our area under surveillance for the rest of the morning.

At noon, we went back to our respective rooms to shower and change.

dowT9IBl.jpg

Even with fake sand, my kids managed to bring half of the beach back to the room! Neither FW nor I trusted the kids at lunch with their MNSSHP outfits, so the kids were dressed in interim outfits and I packed their costumes in a bag for later. We were ready to go at 12:37pm, texted our friends to make sure they were on route as well, and made it to the bus stop at 12:48pm. Since it picks up at YC then BC, each family group opted to wait at our own stop and meet back up on the bus.

While we waited for the bus, the girls made friends with a few other kids. We had left ourselves plenty of time to make our ADR and it turned out we needed it. At 12:48, the bus sign said an MK bus would arrive at 12:57 but the time just kept ticking up. By 12:59, the sign said the bus would arrive at 1:07pm. It finally made it at 1:09pm but, between ECV unloading and loading, we weren’t on the move until 1:15pm. On the bus, the kids insisted on sitting with their new friends plus our friends’ kids, which left them taking the whole row opposite the ECV while the adults stood. Our girls were chatting away happily with their new friends about their trip while FS7, FS5, and FD3 all fell asleep. I am often jealous that FW has kids who will still nap when they need it, but then I remember how grumpy kids are after being forcefully woken in the afternoon and I get over it.

We were at MK at 1:35pm and opted to take the monorail to the Contemporary rather than walking in the midday sun. After encountering a very thorough bag checker, we made it up to the monorail platform at 1:48pm and through to the Contemporary at 1:52pm. Stepping out and seeing the stories-high wall of windows was impressive, the elevator situation less so. There were a lot of stroller users on our train, so it was a wait to get down off of the platform.

We made it to Chef Mickey’s at 2pm to check in for our 2:05 ADR.

i4PvTj1l.jpg

The friends were not only groggy from their unexpected nap but very hungry. I was really hoping for a short wait because hungry, tired kids are my absolute least favorite version. I took the girls to the bathroom and while we were there, we got a text that our table was ready. At 2:07pm we were seated at a large table at the outermost spot in our section, such that behind us was the walkway around the dessert section of the buffet. Before we could even pick seats, Minnie came to visit.

YkVFfxul.jpg

CfpivKIl.jpg

Right next to our table was a perfect spot for visiting and pictures. We had a whole wall with Mickey artwork and no other table immediately adjacent. It gave us a nice backdrop and let the kids really interact with the characters without interrupting anyone else’s meal. FD3 is generally anti-character (I’ve spent many a trip to Sesame Place shielding her from the horrors of Elmo) but she was doing pretty well this time. If you watch, she’s never right up next to any of the characters, but she was willing to get close enough for group photos.

Goofy was right behind Minnie as was our server. The kids started hopping up to meet him but his handler realized the situation and had him meet with another table first so we could order drinks. All of the adults were glad to partake in the alcoholic beverage included with the DDP, although I don’t have notes as to which, and then Goofy came back through.

cKxGNgMl.jpg

Just as Goofy was finishing up the napkin twirling started and the girls were prepared!

j1G7s8Wl.jpg

Having watched video reviews before our trip, mine knew what to expect and were really looking forward to this little bit of silliness. After twirling, there was a good break in the characters when we could get food. They were coming to our table last in our section, so we had ample opportunity to gauge their arrivals. Our ADR fell during brunch, which meant there were both breakfast and lunch/dinner foods on the buffet. None of the lunch foods looked interesting to me, but I love a big breakfast any time of day. The rest of the table made more balanced choices, although nothing was all that memorable. The kids took two bites of lunch and wanted to fast forward to dessert but we needed them to start the party with full bellies. The adults made an on-the-fly rule that there would be no sweets until after meeting all of the characters which was enough for the kids to start eating what was in front of them. The characters started coming every ten minutes or so.

n10tHc3l.jpg

Donald made the mistake of trying to sneak up on FD3: wrong kid, my man. I saw him coming and blew the surprise before he could terrify the poor girl.

B4U4XCel.jpg

ksT3P9dl.jpg

Despite having three adults simultaneously snapping shots, we had a really tough time getting pictures where everyone was looking at the camera, eyes open, without any blurry faces. It was easier for this TR since I was covering half of the faces, but I have a comical number of shots with 5 cute smiles and one blocked by a sibling, eyes closed, out of focus, or all of the above.

Pluto was the last visitor and the girls were thrilled to see he was still signing his autographs by holding the book right up to his nose.

iAJwvNyl.jpg

ptvbRSLl.jpg

oSOM9inl.jpg

With all of the meets done, the kids were quick to point out that it was time for dessert. I’m not sure why mine even bothered perusing the main dessert station. They’d had their eyes on a particular treat since they saw the YouTube review: waffle sundaes.

yho361Kl.jpg

fkmU42Vl.jpg

mKUBGRpl.jpg

After helping the kids with theirs, I loaded up my own waffle sundae and we all dug in. The napkin twirling started again, but this time the kids were too focused on sugary goodness to participate. At 3:15pm, we settled the bill and made our way out to the lobby. Everyone needed to use the restrooms, plus the kids needed to get changed into their party attire. We were going to take advantage of the air conditioning while we still had it so, at 3:35pm, everyone but FH got in the security line that fed into the elevator to the monorail. FH was running long in the restroom, but he used a bagless line to the escalator and beat us up to the platform.

While we were waiting, I took a timestamp photo so that I’d have it to make my notes for the TR. One of the bag checkers saw me and stopped what she was doing to come tell me that I had to delete the photo. Apparently, they don’t allow photographing of their security procedures. I deleted it and took one of the gift shop instead, but I find Disney’s whole stance on this to be rather bizarre. There are thousands of people going through their security every day. For every person they see taking a photo, there have to be another dozen doing it without realizing they shouldn’t. Heck, if you search “Contemporary elevator to monorail” there are plenty of security pictures in Google’s first page of image results. It just seems like a waste of their staff’s time and energy to stop the security process over a photo that is already out in the wild if you care to do even the most cursory search for it. But I digress….

We were on the monorail at 3:41 and opted to split up into separate cars, what with the three strollers between us. The girls were telling everyone in earshot that they were dressed to match their friends who were in the next car over. They also requested some “in character” selfies during the ride.

9ktBUCPl.jpg

We arrived at Magic Kingdom at 4:03pm, just in time to go enjoy Halloween in August.

My girls were having a blast trying to make Mickey ears in their buckets, when FD3 came over and dumped a bucket of water on A’s head.

Oh no :rotfl: :rotfl:

The only thing better than A’s pout in that pictures is FD3’s sh!t-eating grin, which you’ll just have to imagine. :rotfl2:

I'm shocked all you got was a pout! In my house when we were little, there would've been crying for sure.

Right next to our table was a perfect spot for visiting and pictures. We had a whole wall with Mickey artwork and no other table immediately adjacent.

That really is perfect!

Just as Goofy was finishing up the napkin twirling started and the girls were prepared!

Mike hates the napkin twirling and refuses to return to Chef Mickey's because of it lol. :confused3:rotfl:

I love their poses! So much personality!

Sounds like a nice time at the pool!

I love the girls shirts for lunch! Sounds like it was a great time at Chef Mickey's! Getting a table with some extra room to take pics and interact with the characters is awesome!

Sounds like a great day so far!! I love your costumes!! The kids seem to have gotten the most out of the character lunch that is possible...knowing exactly when everyone will come out and timing the eating right! That's the challenge with those character meals!! Sigh...a buffet even seems so surreal right now...I hope one day soon we'll be back to being able to do normal things like that!! I hope you are coping ok with all the kids at home in this crazy new world we are in now!! It's fun to read everyone's TR's now...but even recent ones seem like fairytales from long ago!! Take care and stay safe!

Sounds like a great start to a party night!

Oh, I hear you on the waking up early bit. I remember the first time I went to the MK with Alex, we didn't even wake up until 10:30, then slowly traipsed into the park at noon. :rotfl: Such a foreign concept now.

A's face when that bucket of water was poured over her head was priceless! Good job on capturing that moment.

Very smart call on making everyone wait for dessert until after the character meets. I have to remember that one.

… And I Thought That Was Too Long of a Break

Does anyone remember in February 2020 when I apologized for a few month’s delay on updating this trip report? How it felt hard to write about August when we didn’t have a trip coming up? About that…

In all seriousness, Disney has just been too sad to think about. I couldn’t go through pictures of my kids hugging Moana when I didn’t know when they’d be able to hug their grandparents again. Don’t get me wrong; we’re having a “good” pandemic, in so much as our family and close friends have remained healthy and employed. Beyond that, the uncertainty about when things might get better has been so demoralizing. Thinking about vacations past with no idea about when we could safely have one again only made it worse.

Now, it feels like things are turning a corner. Hubby and I, his parents, and my grandmother are all fully vaccinated plus two weeks, and other family isn’t far behind. There’s certainly a big jump from a small immunity bubble to a major family vacation, but thinking ahead to a 2022 is fun again.

I’m not one to leave things incomplete, so I’m getting back to this trip report. I hesitated, as things like Halloween parties and Fast Pass drops feel so far behind us. However, I’ve decided to think of this as aspirational. I, for one, and hoping with every part of my being that the Disney our family enjoyed in 2019 will be back to its magical self sooner rather than later.

I was JUST thinking about you all and this TR! Since you last posted we have found out we were having and HAD a baby girl! Already planning her first trip to the world. Having a baby in a pandemic has been so hard, but I cant imagine having triplets with home schooling! I am going to be fully vaccinated this coming Wednesday and we are waiting for the next group to open so we can sign my husband up. He is the last one in our families that has not been vaccinated!

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip and hope you can get back to the magical feelings!

August Day Three: Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party (cont’d)

While we headed down the monorail ramp and toward MK, I was once again worrying about how the party would play out. Planning this evening had been incredibly hard. For one, we are not a family that lets the kids stay up late. We are more of a I-have-run-out-of-capacity-for-parenting-when-is-bedtime??? kind of family. The latest our girls had been up prior to this were all Disney evenings: they fell asleep on the walk back from Fantasmic, waiting between HEA and OuaT, and on the walk back from Illuminations in March. As far as we knew, their capacity for late nights topped out at about 9:30pm, although we hadn’t tested the theory on a day where they weren’t already exhausted from a busy vacation. The friends’ kids were more prone to staying up late on occasion but they were also in week two of Disney, so I assumed their stamina would be even less than my trio.

To be safe, I had to top load the night with our must-dos, which unfortunately included two of the three highest priority characters. My girls absolutely had to meet Moana (they were devastated she didn’t meet regularly at the parks) and our costumes necessitated a trip to the dwarfs. At least the kids’ fear of A Nightmare Before Christmas kept Jack and Sally off of our plan! Hubby and I had included the girls in the decision making because some things just weren’t going to make the cut. We explained that, if they wanted to definitely be awake for the parade, we’d have to camp out for spots very early and take up most of the early party time. If they wanted to try for the 11:15pm parade, we’d be able to ride rides and trick or treat while they were awake but there was a high probability that they would miss the parade. They insisted that they’d make it to 11:15, so the plan was 1) characters, rides, and trick or treating 2) fireworks 3) parade. The early trick or treating really rubbed me wrong because I knew we’d be waiting in lines that would evaporate by the end of the night, but such is life with young kids. As to the kids making the late parade, I had my money on them crashing during the fireworks, at which point we’d park the strollers on the Frontierland parade route and Hubby and I would take turns riding rides, maybe grabbing a magic shot, and seeing the 12pm Hocus Pocus show. We were both in agreement that we were going until the end, regardless of when the kids fell asleep: we brought a double and a single stroller for a reason! The friends assumed their kids would tap out at some point and either they would all leave together or FH would take the kids back to the room while FW stayed with us. They didn’t have as much riding on MNSSHP as we did since this was one of many MK days they would have on their trip.

We tapped into MK and joined the mob of people trying to get wrist bands. I don’t know if they had fewer wristband CMs than tapstiles or what, but there were no clear lines. Instead, everyone was employing the push-and-shove method of queuing, which is so frustrating. We were only smushed up for a few minutes before getting our bands and entering the park. Our first stop was to pick up our party exclusive SotMK card plus the friends, who had been playing all week, wanted to get new packs.

X64blULl.jpg

The CM handing out the party cards was quick and efficient, but the line to get new card packs was well out the door of the firehouse. I wasn’t thrilled that we were spending time there to get a dozen more cards when they already had so many, but not enough to press on without them. At 4:20pm we were on route to the bypass to get our first treats. All of the PP lines were crazy long and we had FPs to get to, so we didn’t stop for any there. We wanted a castle picture all in costume, though, so we headed that way to find a PP photographer without too bad of a line. We spotted a photographer with only one family group in line, so we hopped in behind them. They were an extended family and wanting to get shots of all of the different sub-group combinations, but the woman in charge was on top of it. She wasn’t speaking English so I’m not 100% sure what she said, but it was clearly along the lines of, “Ok, you three, let’s go. Now all the cousins. Ok, now just that family group. Come on guys, keep it moving.” She was very efficient about it- my kind of lady! In between, she was cooing over our group costume and, language barrier be damned, she made herself clear that she wanted us to hop in with her family for a photo, too. Somewhere out there we’re a small part of their family vacation story. After that, it was our turn. Of the 10 shots the PP took, we managed one where no one was putting hands in faces, looking away, or closing their eyes.

vfYVL6tl.jpg

We went around the castle to park strollers and tapped into Peter Pan at 4:37pm. They were having to change the chain to extend the FP line, presumably because we weren’t the only partygoers using a few quick FPs before the official start time. The kids played musical adults again because I rode with FS5 and, despite the back up, we were flying over London at 4:42pm. After the ride, the sky seemed to be threatening, so we had a short break to cover the strollers and use the bathrooms. At 4:55 we sent FH with FD3 to use their Dumbo FP while those tall enough tapped into 7DMT. We boarded five minutes later and everyone agreed they were going to try to do character poses for the ride photo.

3Na5pv3l.jpg

71zP1mSl.jpg

Everyone was trying for it, but A had a touch time being Grumpy when she was having so much fun. At 5:09 we were done our high priority FPs and ready to start our character waits. We were camping one adult each in the Moana and seven dwarfs lines, then the other two adults would take the kids to use the anytime FPs from the prior night’s cancelled Fantasmic. FH is not one to voluntarily participate in a 2 on 6 adult-to-child ratio when he can avoid it, so we gave him the air conditioned seven dwarfs line and everyone else walked down to the Tiki Room. I volunteered to plant myself in this line because Hubby clearly wanted the park time with the kids. Plus, he’s the king of Dad Jokes and it would have been wrong to do Jungle Cruise without him. We made sure they had the 8 MBs with the anytime FPs and, at 5:20pm, I was the crazy person alone in line with three strollers. I made the group Magic Carpets FPs in case they had time to use them before 6pm and made myself comfortable.

At 5:25 a CM came around to ask everyone to park their strollers across the way because the line was moving into the building. The by the time she was done making the announcement, the line was already moving and I was scrambling to get three strollers situated before I lost my spot. The group in line behind me were a mom and her adult daughters who were kind enough to help me do the stroller juggle. The inside queue was still hot, but at least it was shaded.

Kj5z59Ul.jpg

For my 5:20 line up time, this was my spot in the queue the line continued forward in the direction I was facing, turned at the end, and then came back to meet Moana. I was just about halfway in the second row waiting. In the five minutes after I got in line, this many people filled in behind me.

B6oaUGcl.jpg

By the time the meet started, the line filled the whole shaded area and wrapped into the park, so I was happy with my position. Meanwhile, FW, Hubby, and the kids were enjoying the backside of water.

b7yuM8Ol.jpg

They were back from their cruise at 5:45, which was also when Moana started meeting. As soon as the line was moving, it became much harder for my solo self to defend enough line space for nine people. Plus, while I didn’t want to force whiny kids to wait the whole time, I also didn’t want to be the family bringing everyone in at the last minute. Rather than taking a Magic Carpet ride, the group came to get into line with me. To kill time, we read through some of the character encyclopedia, opened the new SotMK cards, and talked about all of the cool costumes we saw in line. FD3 fell asleep for a bit, so FW and I took turns holding her.

While we were waiting, FH was getting nervous that his line had moved inside and we weren’t there yet. I reassured FW that they started meeting 30 minutes after Moana so we would have plenty of time to get over there, but he wasn’t convinced. At 6:18pm we were meeting our favorite wayfinder.

ujJb7tkl.jpg

After our dance with Moana, everyone was in desperate need of water. We refilled the bottles at a nearby fountain, loaded the kids into the strollers, and hoofed it to Fantasyland. There was some confusion with stroller parking: the CM at the entrance to the circus area said there’d be parking up the hill. However, when we got to the tent, the CMs there said we had to go back down the hill for stroller parking. I sent everyone else into to meet up with FH and doubled back to park the strollers myself.

When I made it into the tent at 6:37, I found everyone in the second row back from the front. Apparently, FH had gotten nervous enough about the line moving that he camped out in the 2nd turn from the front and let a handful of families ahead of him until we got there. I was… not thrilled, he knew we were on route when he let people ahead, but it was done. At least this line was air-conditioned.

U1kInf9l.jpg

6E76JG7l.jpg

FfcpXJVl.jpg

The girls practiced their character poses while we waited. In between groups, the dwarfs caught sight of us, too, and started waiving at the kids, which they loved. We were the next family in line at 7:03 when the dwarfs went on break. They returned quickly and we were meeting them at 7:03.

zLVf1JXl.jpg

FD3 refused to get anywhere near the dwarfs by herself, but we managed to convince her that Snow White would protect her. After the posed shot, the kids all wanted to chat with each dwarf but the adults were trying to be respectful of the line waiting behind us. The compromise ended up being assembly-line style hugs while we ushered them out the door.

W9KbSuJl.jpg

C7Q8FIBl.jpg

The party had officially begun as we exited into the gift shop. I needed to get a MNSSHP as a Tinkerbell gift without the kids seeing, so Hubby, FH, and I started moving the kids to the train station ToT station while FW bought the party merch. At 7:09 we got into a line that was comically long but moving steadily. It took us 12 minutes to get our first set of treats. Afterwards, the kids got their groove on while the adults decided on next steps.

dcLEwucl.jpg

We opted to go toward Under the Sea and the ToT station by Ariel’s M&G. The adults tried to convince the kids to ride, but they just wanted candy. At 7:30, we got into another silly-long candy line, but this one was going at a much faster clip. We had our second round of treats at 7:35 and I was ready to stop walking through lines and ride something. I proposed Winnie the Pooh, which my girls were happy to do but the friends’ kids all only wanted to get more candy. FW didn’t want to fight with them and they needed another water refill, so at 7:41 we got in line for the ride and they went to Pinocchio Village Haus to for water and more ToTing.

P7TL7X5l.jpg

After a 15 minute wait, we boarded our honeypot and got blown around on a blustery day. After the ride, we caught back up with our friends and headed for a classic: It’s A Small World. After shifting the strollers, we got in line at 8:11 and were on our boat just two minutes later. The kids and their small bottoms managed to jam together into the front row.

NS41RAHl.jpg

We all enjoyed our ride together, until the end where there was a backup unloading.

UsPlfRXl.jpg

We were stopped for a bit in the last room and that song turns from cute to grating pretty quickly. We were on the move soon enough; at 8:31 we headed for the bathroom while our friends went to find their stroller. When we got out of the restrooms, they were having a minor crisis in the form of a lost stroller. They had parked it in the approved area near the carousel but it was MIA. At the same time, FH was concerned that he may have inadvertently eaten gluten, which would have turned into a seriously bad night with his Celiac. He had a Peter Pan float, minus the candy, because he saw online that it was gluten free. Then, with further searching, he found another site that said it wasn’t safe. The discrepancy seemed to be related to the candy that he had skipped, but he wanted to get an official ingredient list from Disney to be safe. If he had inadvertently glutened himself, he wanted to be back in their room before he became symptomatic. Since the item wasn’t on the regular menu, this was harder than you would think. We waited for a few minutes with their kids while they handled their twin crises. FW managed to find their stroller and we took the kids ToTing through Philharmagic while FH pursued the allergy menu he needed.

fec79mHl.jpg

The ToT line was out the door but moved quickly until we got to the very end. One of the other guests had an allergy bag, but she didn’t want the allergy candy. She wanted the CM at the barrel to fish out the non-chocolate candy for that bag. Now, I understand that the allergy treats may not be your favorites, but there’s a reason Disney designed the system that way. If you don’t want the allergy candy, then just take the handful of regular treats and trade with your fellow vacationers back in the room. Don’t hold up a long line of other guests picking piece by piece through a barrel! Rant Over.

Next up, our family opted to hit up the teacups with the party overlay while the friends had a talk with their increasingly tired children. Their kids really wanted to do some SotMK cards which we clearly weren’t going to do during our limited party time. Come to think of it, I’m not sure if the game is active during parties or other hard ticket events, although that thought didn’t occur to me in the moment. We were in line at 9:07 and spinning at 9:15.

We officially split up from our friends at this point who were going to take FS7 to try out Space Mountain while the younger kids rested in the stroller. We saw them once more when they were crossing from Space to Pirates but they weren’t interested stopping for the fireworks or parade, so we weren’t able to synch back up.

After the teacups, the girls wanted to ToT at Cosmic Rays. We had finally hit the point in the night where these lines were dying down because we walked straight through and back outside. I asked the girls if they wanted to do that spot again and they thought it was hilarious that we could just go right back in. This time, they got bold and walked up to each of the barrels at the treat stop. I tried to usher them through, saying it was one barrel per stop, but the CMs just smiled and loaded them up with even more candy.

As we entered Tomorrowland, the girls immediately requested the Speedway. This had been under refurb during our winter trip, so they really wanted their chance to “drive the race cars.” At 9:31pm I obliged and got into the line but quickly regretted that decision. The line was backed up over the bridge and through several twists towards the entrance. I wasn’t sure what that wait time would look like, but I knew it was more than I wanted to spend. I broached the subject with the girls, letting them know that this would be a very long wait and suggested we try to stick to things that would be special for the Halloween party. After promising that we could ride on our “normal” MK day later in the week, the girls agreed to cut bait. Can I tell you how nice it is to have kids that can be reasoned with? I know plenty of five year olds who would not be willing to just walk away like that, especially when they were already two-hours-past-bedtime tired.

At 9:36, our next stop was for more candy and some laughs at the Monster’s Inc Laugh Floor. Once again, there was no wait to get our candy and take a seat.

20ZMSCTl.jpg

We sat, listened, and laughed for about five minutes until the set ended. Then, it was time to split up. I gave Hubby the option of getting a fireworks spot or staying in Tomorrowland with the girls and he opted to hang with them. I folded up the single stroller, loaded it onto the double, and made my way toward the hub. At 9:56pm I was able to get a great spot on the Liberty Square side of the partners status with a clear view of the castle.

YgMQ2szl.jpg

Meanwhile, Hubby and the girls got their applesauce pouches from the CoP ToT station and partied with some monsters.

Tdp9Ej4l.jpg

The group who filled in next to us was all young adults in very cool, homemade Peter Pan themed costumes. Tink was battling blisters with her new shoes, so I pulled out my first aid kit and gave her a few bandaids. Other than that brief interaction, I was happy to just sit and watch the space fill in around me. I texted Hubby my location and he and the girls came over around 10. They had to do some careful weaving to get to us but there was still enough space between groups for people to walk carefully.

The girls were happy to be able to break open their applesauce right away and have a snack while we waited for fireworks to start. That is, until 10:07am when A told me she absolutely had to go to the bathroom and couldn’t hold it. Seriously, these kids are lucky I love them! I put her on my back and made my way toward the Casey’s bathrooms as quickly as one can in a sea of people. I was able to break to a light jog once I got out of the hub, there was no line for the bathroom, and she was done in record time. After washing hands, I again tossed her on my back and tried to find our spot. The crowds were insanely tight, much more so than where our actual viewing spot was. I don’t know why those of us who got spots earlier were able to keep more room between us, maybe it was just dumb luck with the specific people around me, but the further back crowds were shoulder to shoulder. I had to settle for essentially shoving my way through while saying, "Sorry, emergency bathroom trip, my stroller is just ahead,” over and over. At one point, I was having so much trouble that I got turned around and couldn’t see our spot. Thank goodness for the group next to us- the tip of Peter Pan’s hat came into view and I followed that back to the rest of the family. I made it, panting and sweating, with two minutes to spare.

natq92Il.jpg

TElciLnl.jpg

All of the hassle was worth it because we had an amazing view of the show. We could clearly see all the projections and the Jack puppet. Even better, the next group standing in front of our stroller stayed far enough forward that they had good sightlines from their seats. I never saw Hallowishes for comparison, but I loved this show and was so happy we got to see it unobstructed.

I was JUST thinking about you all and this TR! Since you last posted we have found out we were having and HAD a baby girl! Already planning her first trip to the world. Having a baby in a pandemic has been so hard, but I cant imagine having triplets with home schooling! I am going to be fully vaccinated this coming Wednesday and we are waiting for the next group to open so we can sign my husband up. He is the last one in our families that has not been vaccinated!

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip and hope you can get back to the magical feelings!

Ooof, I can't imagine a newborn through all of this. I only got through the girls' first year with the help of grandparents! Glad to hear you're getting vaccine access, too. If supply matches what they're projecting, the next six weeks should be really great on that front.

Yeah, virtual school has been tough, but their teacher this year is really amazing. I haven't had to play mommy-teacher much at all, other than reminding them to join meets and photographing completed work to upload. We've gotten into something resembling a good routine, at least, and we only have a few months left to muscle through. Right now, I feel like I have extreme spring fever. I want the warm weather every year, but now it's also wishing for the vaccination program to have a real impact on what we can safely do out in the world. It's translated into me starting my pipe dreams back up for the summer, maybe a fall break somewhere, and definitely Disney in 2022.

I am so happy to see that you went back to your trip report! I just loved your first TR and your daughters are adorable!

Congrats on the vaccine 🎉 , it is a step towards more « normalcy » - and it’s good that your husband and relatives have had it too!
I have gotten my first shot (as a healthcare professional) but here in Quebec they have extended the period between the two doses since we have had a low supply of vaccines... fingers crossed things start to pick up quickly on the vaccine front so we can regain some normalcy... I can’t wait to see people other than my family and work!

Looks like an amazing Halloween party so far! I just love your way of touring - efficient and quick - and your girls are troopers! They are really reasonable, but I think they have learned to trust you, you know your stuff! - and it really looks like it paid off!
My kids were also disappointed not to get to meet Moana... I hope character meet and greets come back some day soon and I will remember to look if she still meets at Halloween parties!

By the way, I got a lot of tips and tricks from your previous TR and used them on my last trip, and it really made for a wonderful vacation - so thank you SO MUCH!!!

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip !

Last edited:
Does anyone remember in February 2020 when I apologized for a few month’s delay on updating this trip report? How it felt hard to write about August when we didn’t have a trip coming up? About that…
It's so good to have you back!!! I was wondering how you were fairing with 3 girls at home this whole time!

I’m not one to leave things incomplete, so I’m getting back to this trip report. I hesitated, as things like Halloween parties and Fast Pass drops feel so far behind us. However, I’ve decided to think of this as aspirational. I, for one, and hoping with every part of my being that the Disney our family enjoyed in 2019 will be back to its magical self sooner rather than later.
I know the feeling! But I am personally still loving reading folks trip pre-covid days. As I do hope some of this stuff will come back. Maybe just not the crazy crowds!!!

For one, we are not a family that lets the kids stay up late. We are more of a I-have-run-out-of-capacity-for-parenting-when-is-bedtime??? kind of family.
We aren't either, and I have to say even at the ages the girls are now, the parties are rough. If they come back, I don't think we will be doing one for awhile.

Love it!

Such a big group! I love it!

e. The discrepancy seemed to be related to the candy that he had skipped, but he wanted to get an official ingredient list from Disney to be safe. If he had inadvertently glutened himself, he wanted to be back in their room before he became symptomatic. Since the item wasn’t on the regular menu, this was harder than you would think. We waited for a few minutes with their kids while they handled their twin crises. FW managed to find their stroller and we took the kids ToTing through Philharmagic while FH pursued the allergy menu he needed.
Yikes! That must have been a stressfull time period.

After promising that we could ride on our “normal” MK day later in the week, the girls agreed to cut bait. Can I tell you how nice it is to have kids that can be reasoned with? I know plenty of five year olds who would not be willing to just walk away like that, especially when they were already two-hours-past-bedtime tired.
It is nice to have kids who understand those kinds of things! It really helps.

They look like they were hanging strong!

Yeah, virtual school has been tough, but their teacher this year is really amazing. I haven't had to play mommy-teacher much at all, other than reminding them to join meets and photographing completed work to upload
Glad to hear that the school year hasn't been too bad for you guys! We have done fairly well as well. Of course, it helps that Morgan is in 7th grade and pretty much a straight A student with no need for help. (Thank GOD, not sure I could handle 7th Grade honors math!) Gwen has taken some time to get her brain back to full on school mode. I like to say she had summer break brain times 4! But I won't complain. Gwen has an awsome teacher this year, so that has helps as well. What grade are the girls in this year? Kindergarden?

I have gotten my first shot (as a healthcare professional) but here in Quebec they have extended the period between the two doses since we have had a low supply of vaccines... fingers crossed things start to pick up quickly on the vaccine front so we can regain some normalcy... I can’t wait to see people other than my family and work!

Fingers crossed! The rollout here in the states has been all over the place. Efficiency comes down to state- and county-level procedures. In NJ, a lot of folks are registered at 4+ different websites to see where they can get booked first. That said, they've been very consistent about getting second doses in a timely manner: once you're in for the first, you're virtually guaranteed a spot for the second.

My kids were also disappointed not to get to meet Moana... I hope character meet and greets come back some day soon and I will remember to look if she still meets at Halloween parties!

I know our family, for one, won't be returning until their are proper character greets. With the kids' ages, they are arguably the best parts of our trips. Maybe they'll have Moana out by her experience in Epcot once things really open back up.

By the way, I got a lot of tips and tricks from your previous TR and used them on my last trip, and it really made for a wonderful vacation - so thank you SO MUCH!!!

That's awesome!!! I learned so much from TRs before our big trip, so I'm glad I could pay it forward.

It's so good to have you back!!! I was wondering how you were fairing with 3 girls at home this whole time!

We're chugging along. Honestly, this may be the one time that having triplets is easier than one-at-a-time. I only have to track one class schedule for all of them and they have each other for socialization. You take the wins where you can, right?

Glad to hear that the school year hasn't been too bad for you guys! We have done fairly well as well. Of course, it helps that Morgan is in 7th grade and pretty much a straight A student with no need for help. (Thank GOD, not sure I could handle 7th Grade honors math!) Gwen has taken some time to get her brain back to full on school mode. I like to say she had summer break brain times 4! But I won't complain. Gwen has an awsome teacher this year, so that has helps as well. What grade are the girls in this year? Kindergarden?

They're in first grade this year. They had essentially no computer skills before the shutdown, so it's crazy to think that, in only a year's time, they're totally navigating online meets, assignments, etc by themselves.

I'm glad to hear your girls are faring well, too!

August Day Three: Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party (conclusion)

After the show was over, the girls were miraculously still awake. We joined the slow march out of the hub towards Liberty Square. Hubby took the strollers to grab a spot for the parade while the kids and I cut through into the Adventureland Breezeway bathrooms. After our pre-fireworks ridiculousness, I was making sure every used the restroom now when we had time! When he got our spot at 10:36pm, Hubby had his choice with only a few people waiting for the parade. It filled in quickly, though. By 10:55, the seats up against the rope on both sides had been claimed. We found him in front of Frontier Trading Post at 10:43pm

wdWKjxyl.jpg

Hubby took his turn at the restrooms while we enjoyed a spooky serenade. Then, he stayed with our stuff while I took the girls through the ToT station at Country Bear Jamboree. It was empty in there, so we went right back around and did it a second time. After two trips through, it was 11:00 and we opted to go back to the strollers because I knew the headless horseman rode ahead of the parade but wasn’t sure exactly when he would step off.

At 11:05, my fears that the waiting would knock the kids out seemed to be coming true. They were getting droopy but they really wanted to stay awake. Tickling wasn’t doing the trick, so we had them hop out of the stroller for some light calisthenics. They rushed back to their seats when the announcement came on for the headless horseman.

CGHINfhl.jpg

B was literally woooo-ing when she heard the parade was going to start. Because we were so close to the front of the parade, we only had to wait a minute for the man of the moment.

9ePSxQOl.jpg

The parade made it to us at 11:20.

acPTCzul.jpg

A turned to me full of joy and said, “Mom! We’re still awake!” They were so gosh darn proud of themselves for making it. And what a great parade to stay up for! I didn’t take a lot of pictures because I was too busy enjoying myself, but I see why so many people say it’s the best parade in Disney.

XDzDR1ul.jpg

I did manage to snap a pic of Dopey checking out our costumes, which was cool. The music, floats, and choreography are incredible and I’m so happy we all managed to stay up to see it.

The parade was past us at 11:35 and the girls were somehow still going strong. In a thoroughly uncharacteristic move, I had no plans for what to do next. Not once in thinking this night out did I consider the possibility that the kids would be awake after the parade. I just assumed we’d park the strollers somewhere and take turns picking one ride each before the last stage show of the night. I knew we wouldn’t get anywhere fast if we went the way the parade was going, so we cut into Adventureland and I made a dash for the two character greets running back there. Unfortunately, Jafar wasn’t out and the Genie/Jasmine line had already been cut off. While I was explaining to the girls about the closed line, the woman who was next up yelled out to offer me her spot. When I asked if she was sure, she pointed to her kid conked out in an umbrella stroller and waved us over. It was her turn, so the girls hustled up, ducked under the rope, and had their visit. I’m not sure what the official policy should have been on trading out her spot at the last minute, but none of the CMs made any motion to stop it and I wasn’t going to look at gift horse in the mouth.

MUUHrpSl.jpg

SiQEv7Fl.jpg

It was a really nice interaction. While Genie signed his autograph, Jasmine told they girls they had gotten their three wishes for that night. We were done at 11:41 which left us about ten minutes before we wanted to get a spot for the midnight show. I decided we should see if we could find the hitchhiking ghosts magic shot, since I knew it was in Liberty Square and wouldn’t require us to go too far. On the way, we ToTed at Diamond Horseshoe which, while not a long line, also was by no means deserted.

AToYOgol.jpg

Crowd flow is a funny thing. To think we were going through other stations multiple times, earlier in the night, without encountering resistance. At 11:44, we walked up toward the Haunted Mansion in search of the hitchhiking ghosts. I saw the lines for the hatbox and HM lantern shot, both having been closed, but no one pretending to hitchhike. I found a CM, who told me the shot was actually down the hill by the Christmas shop. Between the fact that the other lines were closed and that we had wasted 5 minutes looking in the wrong place, I assumed we were on our way to another closed line. We went anyway, since there wasn’t anything more tempting to try in the last minutes of the party. I followed the CM’s directions, turned a corner, and at 11:52 found a PP photographer standing in front of a camera on a tripod in an otherwise deserted area. When she confirmed that she was doing the hitchhiking ghosts, I practically squealed with delight. While we hopped into the shot, I told her how surprised I was she didn’t have a line. She said that she’d had much fewer people since they moved the shot location for that year. All the better for us!

QaDXPf6l.jpg

euezvgkl.jpg

We did a full family set and then just the kids, all without seeing another person in that part of the park. The party was nearly over, so we went to the hub for our last stop of the night.

wItIQgjl.jpg

At 11:58, this is what the crowd looked like. There are plenty of people, but still room for other groups to fill in if they were so inclined. I opted to stay further back, nearly against the partner’s statue, because I wanted the full advantage of the sloped ground to help with the kids’ sightlines. When the show started at midnight, all three of them were still up, a testament to the power of Disney adrenaline.

EHOH9Oxl.jpg

Once she realized the show was all bad guys, B stopped trying to watch and passed out. A and C still wanted to see it, though, so they sat up on their knees in the stroller to watch. It was a fun show, but I’m glad we didn’t have to use official party time to see it. Getting in and out of the hub for the fireworks was hard enough; I wouldn’t want to try that twice in one party.

Before making our way out of the park, those of us who were awake stopped at the bathrooms by Casey’s.

VItcCdnl.jpg

Oddly fitting that Sleepy fell asleep first, huh?

I had one last must-do on my agenda as we exited the park: the headless horseman shot. At 12:33 the line was several families long but, with three PP photographers working it, we had our turn only three minutes later.

tH0zhszl.jpg

In the time it took for us to walk out of the park, A and C had also fallen asleep, so only 2/5 of this photo is staged. 😊

We made it to the bus stop at 12:41 to find one that was nearly full, with people already standing to ride. I was skeptical of whether five folks and two strollers would fit, but I knew there was no way the girls could stand for the ride, so we let this one go. Instead, we were first in line for the bus that came at 1:03 am. The CM at the bus stop warned us when it was coming so we could wake up the kids and fold up the strollers, which was nice but unnecessary. Hubby and I loaded the sleeping kids into seats, folded the strollers, and got ourselves on before everyone else finished loading. We finally made it back to our room at 1:25am and all of us immediately went to sleep, clothes and all.

What an incredible night we had at the party! I can completely understand why people complain about the crowds: I think it was far too many people for a hard ticket event, something that would have bothered me more if we were paying October prices. That said, we planned accordingly and got all of our big priorities done before the party officially started. Plus, I never in my wildest dreams thought the girls would make it all the way to the end. The last couple of hours had that same joyful, giddy energy that Hubby and I had after the rainstorm the prior evening because it was so special and unexpected. I’m bummed we couldn’t spend more time with our friends, but they were running at a different pace that night than we were. I will always cherish our family costume photos and the time we did spend together. Walking through MK with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was in and of itself a magical time. I don’t know how the girls would handle a late-night event as part of a longer trip, but it worked out perfectly to include in this shorter stint.

Looks like an amazing night! I can’t believe the girls stayed up so late! It is cute that they were proud of themselves like that! 🥰
You got some amazing pictures! And it’s so nice that you were able to enjoy the parade, special meet and greets and shows specific to the Halloween Party!
The girls will remember that night for a long time!

Visiting during Halloween is on my Disney Bucket list. Hopefully MNSSHP will return!!
Your costumes were awesome :)

Looks like you all had a really fun night! I love that the girls were so proud of themselves staying up late! Also proud of B for deciding for herself that the show was not worth watching and going to sleep in the stroller. I agree if this was at the end of a long trip they may not have fared as well. Did they all sleep in the next morning?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter