WDW without visiting the parks

Karl66

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
DW and and I are going to WDW over MLK birthday weekend. This is an adults only trip. We are leaving our 10yo DD with MIL. We have a one bedroom booked at BWV. Our plan is to forgo the parks this visit and spend our time enjoying the other things WDW has to offer. We are having dinner on Saturday night at Boma. Afterwards perhaps a cocktail or two at one of the lounges at AKL. Sunday we will head to Disney Springs for lunch and window shopping. Dinner is up in the air and we may even make dinner in our room then check out the Boardwalk or go see the firework from the Top of the World Lounge.. Have any of you had a vacation like this without park time? Any suggestions as to things we could do or see that we haven't thought of? Thank you for your help.

I've seen many post about it and the closest I've come was friends visiting the area that couldn't afford to visit the theme parks (or were brainwashed it's not worth it and refused to pay for them). I took them around everywhere you don't need to pay and it was some amazing times. We hit boardwalk for some dinner and drinks as well as watching the high altitude fireworks from epcot and hollywood while enjoying some ice cream. We did a monorail crawl plus boat rides to/from WL (holiday decorations). Dole whips and fireworks from poly. They loved springs a lot more than I expected anyone too.

they left saying, "I think I get it now. People come here a lot because of everything, not a couple theme parks".. they knew we only scratched the surface.

As a local, it's not uncommon to jump in just for an afternoon and maybe a meal somewhere that isn't in a park. There is so much you can do without ever thinking of the theme parks.

edited to add: make sure you check the swan and dolphin. They often do their own weekends or events that you never hear about. Many of them are better than the larger disney versions and some are completely different and just as great.

We've never done it, but we definitely could quite easily.

We enjoy visiting the various resorts, so you can easily spend a lot of time doing that. Are there any Disney resorts you've never been to? If so, I'd suggest starting by visiting one or more of those. Explore the design and theming, the shops, the dining locations, etc.

You mentioned cocktails. Have you been to Trader Sam's at the Poly? How about the Abracadabar at Boardwalk? They are both very popular locations.

Make sure to get to AKL well before your Boma reservation (and while it is still light out) so that you can go out back and view the animals.

If you don't do fireworks from the Contemporary, the beach at Poly or Grand Floridian are also good viewing spots.

Any interest in renting boats? The little water sprites are a lot of fun. Or you could go horseback riding at Fort Wilderness. Or mini golf.

There are endless things to do on property outside of the parks. It just depends what you're into.

There's definitely plenty to do outside the parks! While I haven't done a park-free trip in a while, here are some suggestions I have that may make a long weekend outside the parks more enjoyable.

Renting watercraft and Surrey bikes are fun ways to spend some time, especially if you're staying at BWV. Bike rentals are available right on the BW and can be a lot of fun as well as a decent workout (that bridge by the S&D is surprisingly steep...), while you can rent a pontoon boat or SeaRaycers over at the YC. You can take them around the lake and down the waterway towards DHS. They're so much fun! You can also rent watercraft at the MK area resorts if you want more space to use them.

I'd also recommend heading over to FW if you're interested in other outdoor recreation. You can go horseback riding there in addition to going on a fun run or nature walk down some of the resort's pathways. If you do head over there, I'd also recommend the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue. That's a great dinner show, but if that's not really your style, you could also head over to the Polynesian between Tuesday and Saturday for the SoA Luau. While it's definitely an acquired taste, it's still a good time. There's also Trader Sam's at the Polynesian, which is a fun (very Disney) place to grab a drink at night (I believe it's adults-only after like 8pm) or there's a nice patio to eat at that faces out on to the lagoon.

In fact, in the MK resort area, you could eat at one of the resort restaurants (like Narcoossee's, CG, or even Kona) and then watch Wishes from the beach or a viewing area at the resort (this would be the beach at the Polynesian, the boat dock or marina at the GF, or CG or the fourth floor observation deck at the Contemporary). You can even catch the Electrical Water Pageant, something that most WDW guests miss. If you're looking to grab dinner somewhere else, you could always just go monorail resort hopping and grab drinks at their different lounges.

Also near both MK and Disney Springs are the WDW golf courses. Most of those I talk to who golf say that the best is the Palm, though if you're not an experienced golfer (much like me!), the Oak Trail course is great for beginners. I'd add that, near the S&D, you'll find Fantasia Gardens, a personal favorite spot of mine. This mini-golf course has two sides: a fun, more traditional mini-golf course and then another really challenging side that basically resembles a miniaturized actual golf course. I've only walked by it, but everyone tells me that it is a real challenge, even for actual golfers.

Over at Disney Springs, you could alway go bowling at Splittsville and catch a movie at the AMC. Honestly, the new additions at DS have really grown on me and I could easily see spending an entire afternoon/evening there shopping and eating at all the food trucks and kiosks. You could even top if off with a showing of La Nouba. I know they've been offering lots of discounts lately, so you might want to keep your eyes out for a general public for Disney Resort Hotel guest special offer.

You could also book a treatment at one of the WDW spas. I've heard good things about the one at the GF, but there's also one at SSR. The one closest to your resort would be the Mandara Spa at the Dolphin. I've not spoken to anyone who's ever gotten a treatment there, though I think the prices are a little less overpriced than Disney's (While I haven't gotten a treatment there, I did just walk through part of it a few days ago and it looked really nice).

Finally, back at the BW, Jellyrolls is a dueling piano bar that I just got to experience for the first time a few days ago and it's wonderful! I really enjoyed it, but I also enjoy the whole vibe of the BW just after sunset. There's three acts scattered around the BW performing throughout the nice as well. If you want to catch a game, the ESPN Club is another fun spot to go, especially if it's a later game, but be prepared to wait if you're getting a table around gametime. For dinner, Flying Fish was just recently renovated and I could not recommend it more! Another fun place across the water is Beaches & Cream at the BC. Make sure to make reservations for both!

These are just a few things you could do. You could also book a fishing charter, fireworks cruise, visit Sammy Duval's at the Contemporary for water sports, do the nighttime animal viewing at AKL, book one of the tours that doesn't require park admission (like Backstage Magic), etc... Bottom line: there's lots to do outside of the parks at WDW!

I have done park free long weekends a few times. As a local, I prefer WL, since it feels very un-Florida. I would take my bike and ride through FW, rent a boat at the marina, and just hang out and enjoy the resort. I even do it when I have an AP. Just because I can go in the parks doesn't mean I have to. With what a deluxe resort costs, it's nice to be able to really spend time enjoying it.

I haven't done WDW without the parks. I'm impressed with @andyman8's detailed response.

A few other ideas:

Yehaa Bob show at Port Orleans Riverside (occurs Wednesday through Saturday).

There is also the Winter Summerland mini-golf near Blizzard Beach, although that's farther for you than the aforementioned Fantasia Gardens.

At Disney Springs, the amphicars -- while expensive -- are really fun as a one-time splurge.

Some of the resorts offer free walking tours. There is one at AKL, one at WL, and another that starts in the Boardwalk Inn but also includes other areas of the Boardwalk. Check with each resort to find out the days and times these tours are offered.

Not sure if you're open to doing anything off-property, but for something different (if transportation is not a problem) you could visit nearby Celebration City and maybe try one of its restaurants.

I agree that the atmosphere of the Boardwalk area (especially at night) is an attraction in itself. It's a great area to walk around, and if you're not inclined to rent a boat, you can ride the free water taxi that goes between the Epcot area resorts, Epcot, and DHS. You can stay on the water taxi (boat) for a round trip from the Boardwalk.

I also second the Jellyrolls idea, as you'll be nearby and it makes for a fun evening.

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas and suggestions. I'm sure we will have no problems occupying our time. Thanks for taking the time to help us.

Some of the resorts offer free walking tours. There is one at AKL,

Can anybody give more details about the free walking tour at AKL? I've found culinary but no walking tours. Are these guided or it's just pathways where I can go on my own?

Can anybody give more details about the free walking tour at AKL? I've found culinary but no walking tours. Are these guided or it's just pathways where I can go on my own?
It's been a while since I did that one, but I recall indoor walking to the restaurants, so it's probably the same tour.

I have done up to two weeks vacation without ever setting foot in a park.
Some of the thing you can do outside the parks depending upon what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As
There are many other options and I still have not done everything there is to do.

Last edited:
I've done this type a trip a few times. One of the things I enjoyed doing was visiting all the deluxe resort lobbies which is especially nice when they have holiday decorations. On one of my non-park visits I was staying at AKV and they had a wonderful free presentation in the lobby about Africa which I enjoyed. I also enjoyed having breakfast, lunch and dinner at different resorts and even a few cocktails later in the evening. Enjoy your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter