WDW Veteran switching to USO - input needed!

JennyDrake

Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan
Without a long rant, WDW has finally underwhelmed and overpriced this 20+ year AP holder out...

SO I'm getting AP for USO, first trip will be end of April. Work takes me down 4x/year. BF will likely be joining me.

More info:
Ages 53 &56
Both of us are Hard Core Foodies; he will eat anything and everything that isn't a buffet. I refuse to eat burgers, hot dogs, chicken tenders.
I have serious allergy to hot (spicy foods)
He enjoys good bourbon, I seldom drink
I can handle and ENJOY every coaster WDW has. He's a BIG chicken and doesn't even like 7DMT.
I'm HUGE HP fan.
We will stay on property the whole time, 3-4 nights each stay.
We are not park commandos; we like to recognize there will be multiple trips so we aren't pressured to do/see it all at once.

Questions:
We plan to stay at a resort that will allow for front of line access. We don't spend much time in the room. Recommendations?
Do we NEED to stay at front of line hotel during off season? Our trips will be end of April, early August, late October, late January.
How do we get to/from MCO airport?
Restaurant recommendations?

What differences pros/cons of USO Vs. WDW??? I've been to WWoHP, once when it first opened and that's it. BF has never been to any aspect of USO.

I appreciate any and all input!

Once I tried Express Pass, there was no going back. I felt so strongly about this we hadn't been back since 2004. LOL. We went back this summer for the first time in 17 years. We had a great time.

I've said this before and I'll say it again here for you. A friend explained it this way. She doesn't LOVE Universal as much as Disney. But she has a lot more FUN there. Our visit was very much in line with that. And we're going back after Christmas.

Be sure to watch for AP discounts on Express Pass properties. We got one for our upcoming trip.

You don't need Express Passes. They are nice but not a necessity. As 2 adults, you can also use single rider lines.

I would suggest browsing the menus on Universal's website. There are many good options to enjoy.

Uber from MCO is easiest for 2 people.

Don't skip the shows. Bourne is really good, and the nighttime Hogwarts lights.

Also, note that you will be SOAKED on the Popeye raft ride & Dudley Do-right flume. They are great fun when you plan accordingly.

We just stayed 2 nights on Universal property for the first time at Portofino before Disney and loved it! We did no planning other than booking our hotel and tickets package it was great. Even though the holiday crowds had not come in yet and the ride wait times did not look too bad for the most part we really liked having the express passes. We did the park to park tickets so we could go both ways on the Hogwarts Express. We do not like roller coasters love the motion simulators at Disney but we heard they are more intense there so to be on the safe side wore the prescription patches and were fine on all of the rides we went on. Really enjoyed the shows we saw. My other family members have food allergies pretty much dairy and also can’t have black pepper or any spice that is hot. And no salt. We really enjoyed the Today Cafe and Finnegans. I know you don’t want burgers but we also enjoyed Mel’s and Richter’s.

Does your BF like screen rides or have any problems with motion sickness?
I think it’s important to point out especially for adults only, that are switching from Disney, if you are a ride chicken and prone to motion sickness, not liking screen rides, Universal is not for you.

If he doesn’t have problems with motion there are a lot of screen rides that are fine for ride chickens (i can be one and have my teen or DH ride first anf tell me if they think I will enjoy it).

Before switching from Disney and being disappointed I would watch some YouTube videos and make sure there are rides he will enjoy.

Late October will be VERY busy, more than Disney, plan ahead for that. Universals Horror Nights in September and October is very popular. If you love Halloween and scary houses it is a must. Its a separately ticketed evening event and very popular especially on the weekends so plan your hotel reservations accordingly.

We do both Disney and Universal. First Universal ticket (off peak times) we ubered from Disney to Universal and stood in line. One day was enough… that night, I booked a stay at RoyalPacific with the AP discount for maybe $150, we ”checked in” the next am for our Express Passes, took a look at the room, and enjoyed the park so much more... now, we always book a split stay. We enjoy Royal Pacific, we enjoy the food options around, the pool, etc. it’s different than Disney, but a great part of our trip (and, so much less work than the Disney part… I always plan it for the second half, because it’s so easy, it would make me even more frustratEd with Disney).

Halloween Horror Nights is amazing! Best way for DH and I to enjoy was with a group VIP tour. We will go again in next couple for years when we can work out schedules.

food… many good choices for either sit down or quick service that are “nicer” and without all the booking hassle of Disney. Many sit down can be booked like normal on opentable.

What differences pros/cons of USO Vs. WDW??? I've been to WWoHP, once when it first opened and that's it. BF has never been to any aspect of USO.I appreciate any and all input!
This may not make any sense but...I would not bother to compare the two resorts. Just accept them for what they are. If you spend your time trying to compare Disney with Universal you will drive yourself crazy seeing things you do/don't like about Universal. Read the boards...there is a lot of great information.

For the deluxe resorts (RPR, HRH, and PBH), I don't think there are any bad choices. But everyone has their favorites. Since you will be making multiple trips, I recommend trying them all and decide for yourself. Here are some thoughts on each:

RPR - Island theme that is very close to the parks (~8 minute walk). Small rooms at 335 sq ft. Close to SF in case you want to go to Strongwater Tavern for drinks
HRH - Rock theme that is even closer to the parks (~6 minute walk). Bigger rooms at 375 sq ft.
PBH - Italian theme that is a bit further away than the others (~15 minute walk). Largest rooms at 450 sq ft. IMO, the best theme of the UO resorts. It really feels remote and taking the boat back at night provides a spectacular view of the resort.

You mention your first trip at the end of April. Mardi Gras will be going on until April 24. We loved the international food and drink stands they had...

Without a long rant, WDW has finally underwhelmed and overpriced this 20+ year AP holder out...

SO I'm getting AP for USO, first trip will be end of April. Work takes me down 4x/year. BF will likely be joining me.

More info:
Ages 53 &56
Both of us are Hard Core Foodies; he will eat anything and everything that isn't a buffet. I refuse to eat burgers, hot dogs, chicken tenders.
I have serious allergy to hot (spicy foods)
He enjoys good bourbon, I seldom drink
I can handle and ENJOY every coaster WDW has. He's a BIG chicken and doesn't even like 7DMT.
I'm HUGE HP fan.
We will stay on property the whole time, 3-4 nights each stay.
We are not park commandos; we like to recognize there will be multiple trips so we aren't pressured to do/see it all at once.

Questions:
We plan to stay at a resort that will allow for front of line access. We don't spend much time in the room. Recommendations?
Do we NEED to stay at front of line hotel during off season? Our trips will be end of April, early August, late October, late January.
How do we get to/from MCO airport?
Restaurant recommendations?

What differences pros/cons of USO Vs. WDW??? I've been to WWoHP, once when it first opened and that's it. BF has never been to any aspect of USO.

I appreciate any and all input!

Hi Jennydrake: The first time we went to USO we paid for EP's. We wre only planning on ever going to US for one day so we paid that one time. Boy, were we wrong about only one and done for us!!!! we absolutely loved USO and prefer it to WDW any day:)
I really don't think you need EP if it really is a "slow " season. When we paid for them, it was a slow season , and we noticed the waits were not long at all in standby. The only one with a long wait was Minions, and later HP.

However, who knows if there is a slow season anymore with post covid travel, foreign travel opening up, etc? I think WDW and USO will be more crowded for a while. Alot of people are fed up with WDW and changing to USO, so that will increase the crowds also. At this point, I would stay at a deluxe and get the free EP's because I think they will be needed now.

We loved the pace at USO. You could just wander around and go on an attraction if you wanted. No genie, no ADR's, no pre planning at all, It's so relaxing and the way a park should be, IMO.

We just stayed 2 nights on Universal property for the first time at Portofino before Disney and loved it! We did no planning other than booking our hotel and tickets package it was great. Even though the holiday crowds had not come in yet and the ride wait times did not look too bad for the most part we really liked having the express passes. We did the park to park tickets so we could go both ways on the Hogwarts Express. We do not like roller coasters love the motion simulators at Disney but we heard they are more intense there so to be on the safe side wore the prescription patches and were fine on all of the rides we went on. Really enjoyed the shows we saw. My other family members have food allergies pretty much dairy and also can’t have black pepper or any spice that is hot. And no salt. We really enjoyed the Today Cafe and Finnegans. I know you don’t want burgers but we also enjoyed Mel’s and Richter’s.

VERY helpful and interesting that you have family with the same black pepper allergy as me! It's not very common!

Does your BF like screen rides or have any problems with motion sickness?

If he doesn’t have problems with motion there are a lot of screen rides that are fine for ride chickens (i can be one and have my teen or DH ride first anf tell me if they think I will enjoy it).

If you love Halloween and scary houses it is a must. Its a separately ticketed evening event and very popular especially on the weekends so plan your hotel reservations accordingly.

He is FINE with screens and simulators. No problem with motion sickness except when he lost his mind and rose the spinning side of Mission Space (I wasn't with him).

THanks for the heads up about Halloween; I don't do scary *anything*...

VERY helpful and interesting that you have family with the same black pepper allergy as me! It's not very common!

Do you have Crohn’s Disease? That is what my DH has and the black pepper or other hot spices sets it off.

Our family did WDW in 2009, 2013, and 2014 and decided we were done. Started going to UO instead. Have stayed at Royal Pacific, Cabana Bay, and Portofino (we are in our 50s and "momma" is in her 70s). Enjoyed RPR, but not super thrilled with our club level room on the floor below facing a dead palm tree. However, LOVED the folks working at the club lounge! Cabana Bay was great when I took my boys - low crowds that year and they loved the lazy river and proximity to Volcano Bay. But, stayed club level at Portofino twice now and ADORED the rooms as well as the staff. It is a further walk, but to us it was worth it - more steps to work off all of our indulgences :rolleyes1. Wherever you stay, it should be awesome. Look for an AP rate on a club level room at one of the deluxe properties, enjoy EP and the club offerings, and well.....Disney will be pretty much dunzo.

He is FINE with screens and simulators. No problem with motion sickness except when he lost his mind and rose the spinning side of Mission Space (I wasn't with him).

THanks for the heads up about Halloween; I don't do scary *anything*...

If he survived the orange side on Mission Space (even though “shaken” lol) he will be fine on the screen rides at Universal. Flying Journey has a lot of motion but is not the least bit scary for adults as in no “out of control” coaster feel.

I don’t think you will need Express Passes for your end of January trip, that might be a good time to save a little money and try out Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls resorts.

Your other dates I think you will want to have Express, if it’s in the budget, as they are busy times at Universal.

The beauty of the EP is it lets you be in full control of your day. You can put away your phone and not have to worry about grabbing stupid 1 hour windows on the other side of the park.

Now as an AP holder, you will probably still get that, as you won't need to do everything every time you go. It really just depends on your touring style.

For us, since we have younger kids, I would never not have it.

The next time we go, will probably be when our kids can handle HH nights. Both Hagrid's and Velocicoaster should be on EP and maybe the 3rd park will be open by then, which will make it even better. Hagrid's, IMO, is such a phenomenal coaster. Especially at night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter