WDW vet, DL Newbie

noladave

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
ok, we just got back from our 3rd trip in 32 months to WDW, and are looking to go to DL next February (Mardi Gras 2007).

I know that DL is smaller, and doesn't have 4 parks like WDW.

What are the key differences in the places you stay, and how long do you need to see everything at DL?

Any WDW vets out there, that also go to DL?

Thanks in advance.

I think that it is wonderful that you are going to give Disneyland a go, it is a wonderful place and has special charms about it none of the other Disney parks have! :teeth: Can you tell I am biased?

First off, yes DL is smaller, but for me, I find it much more convenient. Everything in the 2 parks are much more manageable and quicker to get to. There is just a big courtyard or espalande separating the two.

I am usually different than most people, because I love taking a long time at Disneyland. We usually go about 5 days, but we love to see all the shows and fireworks, and have plenty of time to just stop and enjoy the atmosphere when we want, and take breaks during the middle of the day. I have a friend that goes for 7, but during the busy time of summer...
Most people prefer 2 to 3 days, and say that it can be done, but would be some pretty packed touring days. I think it would depend on how many days you prefer at WDW, and if you like breaks during the day or not. Go with whatever is best for your family. :teeth:

And a key difference in the places that you can stay, is at DL everything (especially offsite hotels) are so much CLOSER. It is so refreshing to me to be able to stay close enough to walk to the parks every day. At WDW, you may be close to one park, but have to take transportation to the other parks. Disneyland has 3 onsite hotels: The Disneyland Hotel, the Paradise Pier Hotel, and the Grand Californian.
Best Western Park Place Inn and the Best Western Parkvue Inn are the closest hotels offsite, and are right across the street and offer great rates. Alot of people prefer to save money and stay offsite because it is so convenient to the parks (unlike WDW). I mostly stay onsite, but have stayed offsite a time or two. I would suggest to get a hotel within walking distance, and not one with a shuttle...much more flexible that way.
HTH! :wizard:

Hotels.

First the bad news. There are no Disney Mods or Disney Value resorts on site or off site.
Now the good news. They do have what they call "Good Neighbor" Hotels they offer packages with.
More Bad News. You don't get that seclusion in the world that you do at WDW.
Now the good news. Some of the outside hotels are right across the street. And "near the main gate" does not mean 20 miles away from the nearest theme park like it does at WDW.
More good news. There is a trolly that goes around to the hotels. You have to pay extra for it but unlike some of the so-called hotel shuttles from Kissimmee, it runs most of the day. It doesn't force you to stay at the parks all day.
More bad News. You won't find quite the same deals in these hotels as you might in Kissimmee.
Now the Good news. THEY AREN'T FLEABAGS!!!!
You can also find hotels nearby and not so nearby that aren't on the good neighbor list. Treat em just as you would kissimmee. There are good deals and bad deals and if you go this route, you need to do diligent research.

The Parks.
Someone mentioned DL was smaller. It is, but the Acreage mentioned for MK includes areas in the back not even being used. These arent' the permanant set asides either. At DL, that acreage isn't there. It's all used. Also the castle and hub at WDW take up more space and have less around them.
Also TL and AL are scrunched more toward mainstreat than they are at MK so there's less green space there.
All in all, the park doesn't feel any smaller and probably isn't truly that much smaller once the greenway areas are taken into account.
There are mre rides to do in DL than there are in MK. If you have to do everyting, show's and all, I'd take 4-5 days to cover the two parks at a liesurely pace and do things 2 or 3 times if you want. It is worth it to stop and smell the flowers here and look at some of the buildings in No square and see Walt's touch. You won't notice it unless you make a point to take your time though. It can be done in 2-3 if you're a commando touring plan type of family and you skip all the kiddie rides.

thanks for the replies, and this might sound stupid, but do they have anything special for staying on site, such as EMH?

I'm not sure what EMH (I'm guessing its what they call their early entry?) At Disneyland they have "early entry", known as EE. It is offered 4 days a week- Mon, Tues, Thur, and Sat. If you have a 3 day or more park hopper you can get in one hour earlier then normal park opening. You may use it one day only. However, if you are staying onsite you can use it each day it is offered. That program is on a trial run right now, and they dont know when it will end. It's been offered more then 6 months, and I havent heard any rumors of it ending soon. You also get priority boarding at the monorail. Not a big deal in the morning, but nice on the last run of the night! Purchases anywhere in the park can be taken to your hotel for you. They will be there at 7 am the day after your purchase. Purchases in the park can also be charged to your hotel room if you wish.

We stayed on site in Oct. It was our first time doing so. While it was nice, we probably wont spend the money to do it again. I would rather spend less and go more often or have more spending money while I'm there!

On tip when looking for an offsite hotel- "One block" isnt always what it sounds. Some times a block or two in the are can really be a mile or two from the gate. Be sure to watch the map!

The Travel sites. Travelocity, expedia, etc are good to go to. Not to book the hotel because I've always gotten better deals by calling or going through AAA. But it's a great place to look at hotels. It will show you the locations of everything. You can also look in the comments section and there will be found in the comments how far it really is away and whether it's a fleabag.

Don't forget about the "Soarin Over California Tour" which is only offered to guests staying at GC. You enter CA through GC's entrance before the park even opens. A CM checks everyones card to make sure you are a guest at GC, then you are lead to "Soarin" to ride before hours. Also, the CM talks about the ride and answers questions! Most people do not know about this!!

Take a look at this photo and you can see how compact Disneyland Resort is. http://www.beachcalifornia.com/dlmp.html

While it is still much mor fun to stay at one of the Disney Resorts it is not nealry as bad as staying off site at WDW. In fact some of those motels on Harbo Blvd are closer than two of the three Disney hotels. It is a compact area and you can park your car, or have nor car at all and walk everywhere. If you intend on doing other things in Southern California a car is good.

thanks so much for the info. Yes, EMH (or extra magic hours) is an early entry program, but also a stay later program (1 hour in the morning, and 3 hours extra at night) used at WDW.

Good to know that DL is working on something similar. I really like the GC program of Soarin. My DW went on Soarin for the 1st time last week, and loved it. If it's not outrageously priced, we will probably try to stay there (we usually stay at Deluxe resorts at WDW). Oh, what am I saying - Disney - outrageous prices - Say it isn't so!!!!! :rotfl2:

If you stay on site and book with AAA you get the unlimited fastpass meaning you can hold a fastpass for every ride in both parks at the same time. A nice benefit on the weekends and during busy time.

as WDW veterans (over 40 visits) we finally got ourselves to DL/DCA about 4 years ago (i'd been there as a teenager in the late 60's, but my husband and kids had never been)..

I actually like DL better than the MK....it's a prettier park overall, and there are some nice little rides in Fantasyland that aren't at the MK..

the one downside for me were the CMs....they didn't seem at all on par with the CMs in WDW.....and the guests are also different from what i'm used to in WDW...
WDW has a high number of guests from the south, whereas DL/DCA is mostly from the west....for me it made a difference......i know it's a terrible generalization, but southerners (at least the ones who go to WDW) are very open and friendly....so when you're waiting in line it can be a really interesting pleasant experience just chit chatting with all the people around you.....we didn't have that experience at DL/DCA.....at first i couldn't figure it out and then i decided it must be the difference between southerners and californians....

it might not be true, but it's something that was very true for us during the 4 days we were there...

AspiringCindy said:
Don't forget about the "Soarin Over California Tour" which is only offered to guests staying at GC. You enter CA through GC's entrance before the park even opens. A CM checks everyones card to make sure you are a guest at GC, then you are lead to "Soarin" to ride before hours. Also, the CM talks about the ride and answers questions! Most people do not know about this!!

....sounds like you REALLY know what you are talking about.... :teeth: !

Thanks to everyone, and especially for the AAA tip, we just joined last month, so we will definitely take advantage of that.

We're planning a trip for Jan or March of 2008. Love to go in 2007, but not sure if it's possible. Anyway, thanks for all of this info , it's always great to get all of this "insider" knowledge!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter