WDW vacation followed by Cruise departing from FLL? transportation options?

disneyberry

Dreaming of adventure
DVC Premium
has anyone ever done a WDW vacation, and then gone directly from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale to board a Cruise?
if so, what transportation did you use?

i think it's like 3 or 4 hours away from Orlando, is that correct?

would it be ridiculous priced to get a towncar?
has anyone taken the bus or train?

we probably don't want to go through the airport hassle for that short hop, so flying is out.

what about the drive there (if we did a one-way car rental)? how is the drive?

TIA for your help.

I have done it before. It isn't bad at all, about 3-4 hours and when you drop off your car in Ft.Lauderdale, they will drive you down to the port (free, but you need to tip them). I think, personally, that it would be so much easier to rent a car and I am sure cheaper than any other alternatives.

You could do what we did and rent a car from Thrifty (very convenient to hotel and port), leave the day before your cruise, drive down, stay at the Westin Diplomat in Fort Lauderdale, ($75 on priceline, www.biddingfortravel.com) which is an absolutely awesome hotel, drop of the car at Thrifty in Ft. Lauderdale, which is just around the corner from the hotel and they will drive you right to the port, to right where they take your luggage.

You could probably leave Orlando the morning of your cruise, but you would have to leave early and allow a lot of extra time, "just in case". I would be worried about missing the cruise though for a flat tire, fender bender, etc.

Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter