WDW & US with adhd?

mkymouse4ever

DIS Veteran
Aunt taking 9 yr old, nephew to wdw for 1st trip. We are going for 2 1/2 weeks so we plan to take it slow. (we know are way around). But considering taking 3 days at Universal (would stay onsite, for FOTL). For a 1st trip is this too much? Will we overload him? Would disney and the resort / pool etc. be just enough?

I am a pediatric Rn, and my other sis and I are close to him. He is medicated. He spends a lot of time with us, and know he would like some things at US, but wondering if we should save it for another trip, so as not to cause him a problem.

I already searched ADHD, and read all the pages here. :goodvibes Very helpful. And I already told him to bring gameboy for the lines. ;) Looking for a waist pack to fit him and the gameboy.

Thanks for any help / info, Mky princess:

for my dtr she was so excited it was really no difference, she took her meds and it was a typical day for her, people know kids are excited, they seem a bit ancy, it's just the excitment

bumping up for more replies.
I think you already have the most important thing - the attitude that you are going to take things slow and make changes (take breaks) if you need to.

We have been to WDW with people with ADHD and one of the most important variables we have found was how interested the person was in going on the attraction we were waiting for. If it was one they were interested in, they were much more able to wait (even a pleasant 45 minute wait). When they weren't, well, let's just say a 10 minute wait felt like 45 minutes.
So, my best suggestion would be to get information about the parks - there are some good guidebooks for both parks written for kids, by kids - and get him involved in the planning. If he can pick out several attractions at each park that he wants to go on, that will give some structure to your day and help him with anticipation. For the WDW parks, getting Fastpasses help a lot. Also, some people get so "tied into" looking at the Fastpass return time that they don't consider some attractions might be very short waits. We have frequently seen people involved in planning what they are going to do during their waiting time until the fastpass they just got can be used. They completely tune out the CM who might be (literally) begging people to come on the attraction because there is currently no wait.

Some other things people have used are things like trivia books or "Hidden Mickey" books that tell you where to look for hidden Mickeys. One of my nieces really liked the pressed pennies. They had machines that make them all over (and you can get books that are made to hold them). The pressed pennies are inexpensive souveniers and provided another thing to look for and look t in the lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter