WDW Thrills Compared To Universal Thrills

disneyguy87

Mouseketeer
Hi all, I want to take my wife to Universal mainly because she's a huge Harry Potter fan around the late summer/early Fall. The thing is, my wife is scared of any kind of roller coaster at Disney (7 Dwarves and Space Mountain were nightmares for her). Avatar Flight of Passage was also scary for her. She enjoyed it, but also doesn't necessarily want to do it again (though I think she will enjoy it on her 2nd go because she did think it was beautiful and cool) She DOES LIKE most other non-roller coaster rides. She took to Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids, Soarin', Star Tours and even Mission Space perfectly fine. She loved Toy Story Mania!

So without a doubt, Roller Coasters are out at Universal. I also personally can't do inversions (No RnR at Hollywood for me!)

I know Jurassic Park has a big drop so that's out for us. But if anyone could help compare some of the Universal Rides to Disney Rides I'd appreciate it.

I'm interested in the rides The Mummy, Transformers, Spider-Man, Fast & Furious, Simpsons and the Wizarding World Rides...though I imagine Hagrid's Motorbike is out of the question. Comparing them to WDW rides will help me determine if she may be able to handle them or not. Thanks!

The Mummy = Rock N Roller coaster without the inversions, but with cool effects and stops and starts, including backwards
Transformers and Spider Man are the same ride system. Can't think of a WDW equivalent. Lots of screens and 3D while riding through in a vehicle sort of like Dinosaur.
Fast & Furious and Kong are sort of the same = Kilimanjaro Safari ride vehicles driving inside, but surrounded by 3D screens.
Simpsons = sort of Star Tours, but in smaller vehicles with a giant dome screen
Fantastic Journey = Soaring/Flight of Passage, but the vehicles move on a track and flip you forwards, sideways, and back, feet dangling
Gringotts = the new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster (not yet built). A moderate intensity coaster with lots of screens and physical sets
Hippogriff coaster = Goofy's Sky School

You may just have to try them. I don't see how she can do Mission Space, but not 7 Dwarfs. She may be terrified or love the Universal rides.

NashSmartGuy has a great comparison list there. I would start with Gringotts, even though it is technically a coaster. It is very mild as coasters go and with the stops for the story, it doesn't really feel like one (except for a couple small parts). Since it is HP, you wife might still enjoy it if it is too much coaster for her. FJ is another must.

While Hagrids is a great ride, it is a fast coaster w/o loops. So that may be too much for her. You should definitely try it via single rider to see what you think.

Do JP the drop isn't bad at all because you are in a very large ride vehicle and it's smooth and controlled. if you are nervous have a couple drinks before you ride it the first time.

This is great everyone thank you! She hates the takeoff of Mission Space but overall enjoyed the ride. Drops is what scares her the most. The Mummy is probably out but I think she'll be able to handle most of these. I think Gringotts will scare her but I think she'll tough it out since she's a HP fan. I had to convince her to try Flight of Passage again this year. These comparisons have been really helpful though and I appreciate it a lot!

I'm scared of big roller coasters too but love mummy...its a little scary the first time but is probably the best ride there! Just close your eyes if you need to.

I am a bit of a ride wimp. Space Mountain is my absolute limit. (I've only been on 2 rides more intense than that in my lifetime about 20 years ago, and I still regret being pressured into them LOL) Thunder Mtn and 7DMT are more my speed.
If she doesn't like 7DMT, I would skip Hippogriff. I was thinking it was more like Goofy, but it was a little more intense than I anticipated. Anyhow, I didn't find it to be anything special. The more average size people in my family liked it but I am larger and my younger son is small, and neither of us enjoyed it.

I found Gringott's less intimidating. Mummy is an easier ride for me than say Space Mountain BUT I hadn't watched a ride video before so I was more scared than I needed to be.

I found Gringott's less intimidating.

I always tell people if they cannot handle roller coasters and say "no" roller coasters I always recommend they at least do Gringott's, especially if they're huge Harry Potter fans. Both roller coaster parts only last 6-7 seconds (timed them myself out of curiosity) and those who have ridden know that when the track changes in the beginning it's more for intimidation more than anything, as there are no dramatic, long drops on the ride. If you get the front row even better as you'll practically feel nothing when it takes off other than going really fast.

My 10 year old is the same... any rides with huge drops or anywhere near roller-coaster like are out. He rode and LOVED all below-

Skull Island, Superman, Forbidden Journey, Fast & Furious, Cat in the Hat, the Simpsons ride, Minion Mayhem, Jimmy Fallon thru NY, ET, Men in Black

All great feedback!

@Disxuni my wife may end up hating Gringotts but she seems willing to try it though with much apprehension. Seems Flight of the Hippogriff is somewhere between Barnstormer and 7DMT (which my wife does not like) but I'm hoping she'll give it a shot. I hate riding coasters alone so I just skip them if I must.

My absolute max was Expedition Everest at WDW and I only do it if someone else really wants to go, otherwise it's a happy skip for me so I'm OK skipping Hagrid's ride.

@Laura353741 thanks so much that clarity is really helpful as these will likely be great for my wife. I was a little nervous about Forbidden Journey but I had a feeling she could handle it (She hates Flight of Passage at WDW, though appreciates it aesthetically) How did your son handle Transformers?

I'm really enjoying this thread it's the most comprehensive comparisons I've ever seen and I couldn't find something like this on the web thanks again all!

This is great everyone thank you! She hates the takeoff of Mission Space but overall enjoyed the ride. Drops is what scares her the most. The Mummy is probably out but I think she'll be able to handle most of these. I think Gringotts will scare her but I think she'll tough it out since she's a HP fan. I had to convince her to try Flight of Passage again this year. These comparisons have been really helpful though and I appreciate it a lot!
fyi, Gringotts starts with a significant drop. the cars stop, the track tilts and you plumet down at about a 60 degree angle for a few seconds. I love coasters, I would describe it as a nothing, but seeing how you describe your wife not liking seven D, I would think that will likely scare the crap out of her.

fyi, Gringotts starts with a significant drop. the cars stop, the track tilts and you plumet down at about a 60 degree angle for a few seconds.

It looks like a significant drop. I want to reiterate it's for intimidation reasons more than anything. The only time you technically "drop" is the moment of going downward into the hole of darkness (which is where the roller coaster part takes place). Technically you'll go downward if you're anywhere other than the front row. A few seconds which you mention. That being said, if you're in the front row you won't really "drop" at all (at most dips perhaps a foot), because once you disappear into the hole of darkness the track goes forward, not drop.

I feel the need to stress this as I feel it's important to be clear for people who are anxious to ride this attraction due to the fact that it's a roller coaster and/or has "drops". The beginning portion of the ride is to build up fear and anticipation for the guest, but come to find out, it's all for nothing.

It looks like a significant drop. I want to reiterate it's for intimidation reasons more than anything. The only time you technically "drop" is the moment of going downward into the hole of darkness (which is where the roller coaster part takes place). Technically you'll go downward if you're anywhere other than the front row. A few seconds which you mention. That being said, if you're in the front row you won't really "drop" at all (at most dips perhaps a foot), because once you disappear into the hole of darkness the track goes forward, not drop.

I feel the need to stress this as I feel it's important to be clear for people who are anxious to ride this attraction due to the fact that it's a roller coaster and/or has "drops". The beginning portion of the ride is to build up fear and anticipation for the guest, but come to find out, it's all for nothing.
I I have ridden the ride a tonne. Yes the front is much less, but I'm sorry, it still drops before leveling off. I want to make absolutely sure no one goes on there thinking there's nothing happening.

Thanks all for the concern! I did some research on Gringotts, and I read there's a 30 foot drop, either way my wife is aware there's a drop she will not enjoy at all, but I'm hoping the experience of the ride makes it up for her. She will probably never do it again, but since this is our first trip to Wizarding World and the last time before we have kids she will likely give it a go since I really would like to do it (I'm scared of the drop too!)

For someone who can't handle Mine Train, Mummy would be a hard no. My mom sounds like OP's wife when it comes to ride. We got my mom on Gringotts and Forbidden Journey because they aren't rollercoasters. She wasn't thrilled about the start of Gringotts, but the rest was fine and she enjoyed it and said she'd ride again. She hated Forbidden Journey and wouldn't re-ride. I think Forbidden Journey is a little "scarier" because your feet are dangling and there's a point where you're tipped nearly upside down backwards. Other than the initial brief drop on Gringotts, its mostly just a fast moving ride vehicle.

If you're really concerned, many of the rides at Universal have first person POV videos on YouTube where you both can watch it for yourselves and decide if you want to ride. It would spoil the ride for you, but might be for the best so your day isn't ruined by anyone falling ill or something like that.

We actually didn't ride Transformers but I have heard it was just like Spiderman so I am sure he would have loved it!

Thanks all for the concern! I did some research on Gringotts, and I read there's a 30 foot drop, either way my wife is aware there's a drop she will not enjoy at all, but I'm hoping the experience of the ride makes it up for her. She will probably never do it again, but since this is our first trip to Wizarding World and the last time before we have kids she will likely give it a go since I really would like to do it (I'm scared of the drop too!)

It doesn’t feel like 30 feet and this is coming from someone who doesn’t like drops either. I was terrified when the track moved for the “drop” for the first time, but it honestly feels like nothing compared to other drops I’ve ever experienced. However, it might be how the track is angled and if it’s 30 feet it’s from the very last row, because as I said previously, at the very end of the track (for this particular scene) there is a hole and it definitely doesn’t drop you (30ft) once you’re in the hole. If you plan to still go just let the TM know you’d like the front row and would be willing to wait for the next ride vehicle if possible, because that should definitely help with the fear and butterflies in the stomach. Might want to make it clear you want the very front row (which they might already understand, but who knows) as technically two vehicles take off together.

As a wife that doesn’t do roller coasters, OP, thank you for finding all this out for your wife.

Dh is a peach about not trying to convince me to ride when it’s just us but when we are in a group, everyone thinks I have to ride or I must not be enjoying myself. Nope, not the way it works or at least not for me.

I rode FJ. One and done. It’s not a roller coaster, I guess, but it’s intense for me. I rode Hagrid’s—it’s amazing and terrifying. I am glad I rode but again, one and done. Keep in mind, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley will be amazing to her as a HP fan with or without riding a thing. So if she chooses not to ride, she will still enjoy the lands.

I don’t like drops either. POC I can handle but that is about it.

Kong, Spider-Man and Transformers, I really enjoyed. I don’t remember anything like a drop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!