WDW sounds scary to me, hehe

Ms. Shuttergirl

DIS Veteran
Since being back from DL and our trip, I've been a little bored. I'm used to spending my spare moments researching for Disneyland and the rest of our trip.

So, I decided I might start learning a bit about WDW, not that I have a plan to go there, but you never know right :rotfl2:

I thought a great place to start would be Hydroguys thread "WDW tips for DL vets".

Well after reading that thread, I think I would seriously be too scared to go to WDW :rotfl: The place sounds ridiculously huge and getting around from place to place sounds tiring, frustrating and a big waste of time.

Please convince me that WDW is so worth going to.....at the moment I'd prefer to stay with DL and feel less overwhelmed.

I would love your thoughts.

Hi there!

I have been to WDW 3 times and I am planning my 4th! I have been to DL once.

I absolutely love WDW - mainly because of the variety. I also stay offsite and hire a car which makes getting around easier. It also means we are able to go elsewhere in the Orlando area (yes, there are things beyond WDW! :eek:)

Although I am by no means an "expert" I am happy to answer any questions you may have! Although I'm sure you would be fine being a Disney expert anyway.

You know I really think the worst part about going to WDW is the actual flights!! 12 hours to LA, and then another 5-6hrs to Orlando! Although I do break it up in LA or Las Vegas usually.

The place sounds ridiculously huge and getting around from place to place sounds tiring, frustrating and a big waste of time.

Please convince me that WDW is so worth going to.....at the moment I'd prefer to stay with DL and feel less overwhelmed.

I would love your thoughts.
Well the part I put in bold is downright wrong:sad2:

It is simply magical, amazing and very very special to me.:cloud9:
I do enjoy Disneyland and ESPECIALLY DCA but I could happily skip Anaheim on any trip to the US but not so easily WDW.

Just the variety if fantastic. The number of Resorts - which are attractions in themselves - is wonderful and when Christmas time comes NOTHING beats WDW.
The Osbourne Lights:worship:
The HUGE Gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian.popcorn::
the Candlelight Processional.:love:

The key is to plan and know what you are doing and then once you know that you can always change that if something crops up...but it really puts you in a position of some control.
The UNOFFICIAL GUIDE IS A MUST READ!!!

We have always stayed offsite and moved with a car. Even now we are staying at DVC we are moving with a car. Leaving yourself at the whim of the buses is a bit painful it seems. But the boats are great. If you are staying on site what is REALLY great is if you are walking distance to somewhere. Especially Epcot [so Boardwalk, Beachclub] as going to World Showcase at night is just wonderful.

Hi,

I am a bit of a Disney nut, and luckily my work gets me to the US a lot so I have been to Disneyland probably about 15 times and WDW about 8.

For the Magic Kingdom, I prefer the Disneyland version, but the rest of WDW is fantastic.

THe other big advantage for Florida is that UNniversal over there is far better than in California, particularly with Islands of Adventure.

Anyone who asks me I tell to go in October, particularly if you have kids, as it matches up with our school holidays, the weather is pretty good and crowds are pretty low. The other thing for October is Universal has Halloween Horror nights and this is just brilliant. Some of the best fun I have ever had in a theme park.

Don't be scared of trying WDW, just don't do it in their summer or holidays. It is truly fantastic. I've been there in their spring break season as well and while the crowds were big they weren't too bad. You have to remember there are 4 parks + 2 water parks just in WDW so there are ways to minimise crowds, just a little planning goes a long way.

PM me if you would like any more detailed info, I love talking about it and have just started planning our family trip next October.

Hi All !

I am also planning my trip to Disney World after visiting Disneyland in 2007.

It definatley takes a lot more planning and days than Disneyland. We will be away for 26 nights!

I am up for the challenge and can hardly wait to visit Orlando. We also plan to visit Seaworld, Busch Gardens, Kennedy Space Centre and spend time at the Universal Parks and Resort.

I am looking forward to September 2010:cool1:

We are starting to swing around to WDW for our next trip (2011) as well.

The place sounds huge !:cool1:

To the vets how long do you need there to see everything ? Would 14 days be suffiicent to WDW Universal , Epcot , space centre and anything else ?

Any good outlets nearby too ? Are they as good and cheap as Cabazon ?

Ta

Thanks for jumping in with your thoughts everyone. I do like the idea of visiting the Kennedy Centre, and the Harry Potter World thing opening in Spring 2010 has me completely intrigued. IF we were to do the trip we would also include New York (cause we just loved it), Washington, Boston, maybe even Philly, then WDW. I think I could only get DH to do 6-8 days, probably could push him to the 8, 1 at Harry Potter, 1 at the Kennedy Centre, 4 in New York, 3-4 in Washington, how much does that add up to??? 18 days, yikes and then there is also Canada. We would love to do maybe 5 days there. Don't know whether it would be best to fly straight to Canada, then down to New York, then keep travelling downwards. Something to think about.

We would definitely stay onsite. The Wildnerness Lodge is making me drool and smile, but I would love to hear other recommendations. We definitely wouldn't hire a car, I think we would either use the transport available but I would be more than happy to fork out for taxis between parks and hotels. A few hundred dollars spent on my sanity for a taxis is money well spent, hehe

What am I talking about, there is no holiday, this is just me dreaming, but as I said, I am very determined, my dreams usually become reality, :lmao::lmao:

Queenie - you have taken my words out of context I am afraid. I didn't mean that WDW was a big waste of time, I meant that all of the long travel times travelling backwards and forwards between hotels and the different parks seemed like alot of time wasted.

Hi! :wave2: I'm from the UK but I can tell you that WDW is worth visiting, despite the super-long flights if you live in Australia. I haven't visited Anaheim but I'm a frequent visitor of Disneyland Paris, which I heard is comparable, and yes, WDW is far bigger than these two resorts. Saying that, the internal transport system is excellent and you never feel like you're wasting time, as such. Actually, it can be nice to have a bit of a rest waiting for the bus/monorail/boat!

Thanks for jumping in with your thoughts everyone. I do like the idea of visiting the Kennedy Centre, and the Harry Potter World thing opening in Spring 2010 has me completely intrigued. IF we were to do the trip we would also include New York (cause we just loved it), Washington, Boston, maybe even Philly, then WDW. I think I could only get DH to do 6-8 days, probably could push him to the 8, 1 at Harry Potter, 1 at the Kennedy Centre, 4 in New York, 3-4 in Washington, how much does that add up to??? 18 days, yikes and then there is also Canada. We would love to do maybe 5 days there. Don't know whether it would be best to fly straight to Canada, then down to New York, then keep travelling downwards. Something to think about.

Your plans sound fantastic but what I will say is that you have to be careful not to cram too much in, especially before you even reach WDW. As we all know, Disney holidays can be very tiring. While I realise you'll want to do as much as possible because you're travelling so far, I'd maybe consider cutting your places to visit down by one or two.

We would definitely stay onsite. The Wildnerness Lodge is making me drool and smile, but I would love to hear other recommendations. We definitely wouldn't hire a car, I think we would either use the transport available but I would be more than happy to fork out for taxis between parks and hotels. A few hundred dollars spent on my sanity for a taxis is money well spent, hehe

The buses are so reliable that you probably won't need to do this. We use taxis to go off-site (for shopping mainly :lovestruc) and they're quite reasonably priced.

The travel times between the parks and resorts isn't all that long - the longest I think we had from the Pop was about 15 mins to the Magic Kingdom, but I wouldn't really class that as a long time when I've spent the better part of 24 hours in the air getting there!

WDW and the Orlando area just has so MUCH to see and do, it boggles the mind. We spent 10 days there last month and are going back for 2 weeks in Sept/Oct 2010 - people keep asking me why on earth we're going to "do it all again" and it's difficult to explain that we honestly still have A LOT we didn't cover. Yes, there will be things we do again because we liked them but there's so much we didn't get to, we certainly don't feel like we're going to "do it all again"!

It's a fabulous place, I love it. :cool1:

WDW and the Orlando area just has so MUCH to see and do, it boggles the mind. We spent 10 days there last month and are going back for 2 weeks in Sept/Oct 2010 - people keep asking me why on earth we're going to "do it all again" and it's difficult to explain that we honestly still have A LOT we didn't cover. Yes, there will be things we do again because we liked them but there's so much we didn't get to, we certainly don't feel like we're going to "do it all again"!

Exactly, there is so much stuff to do. I have been twice in the past 18 months (totalling 30 days) and there's still loads left to do. I have been to Disneyland Paris six times and I still have little bits to cover there!

Queenie - you have taken my words out of context I am afraid. I didn't mean that WDW was a big waste of time, I meant that all of the long travel times travelling backwards and forwards between hotels and the different parks seemed like alot of time wasted.
:) ...it seems it until you finally sit down and you think....oh boy...it's nice to be off the feet:goodvibes
I agree though conceptually it seems it and the place is HUGE...but it isn't so much the travel time but rather the waiting time. Hence my dislike of the busses...but as I say I love the boats.

All those destinations are great. I think to do WDW properly then at least 8 is needed. We always do the 10 day WP and more (great water parks) although the last day is usually a wrap up hopping around etc. Universal needs no more than 1. Kennedy is GREAT.
We stay in the area for at least 2 weeks.
3-4 in Washington sounds about right. You have all the monuments (Lincoln is just so beautiful) and the museums.
There is logic in moving down...but we tend to move up? We usually do Orlando at the beginning and then LA at the end.
I'm not sure I would start with Canada....unless it was a skiing holiday. But as I say there is much logic in your thinking.

We did a 2 month US Canada driving holiday [I'm sure you are thinking how on earth did you get the time off!!! Negotiate and use the force:thumbsup2] and have done all those places. I too ADORE New York. The train from New York to Washington is actually not bad. It was on a different trip we did that but I really enjoyed it.

But we mostly did it fly and drive. [please excuse any incorrect ordering...I'm a bit sleepy]
We flew to Orlando - did that. Flew to NY did that, drove to Washington, Vermont (ben and jerry's factory:woohoo:), Boston:worship:, Philly, Gettysburg, etc. It was fantastic.

We drove up into Canada to Niagara Falls (A zillion times better from the Canadian side although the "town" over there is rather tacky. Sorta like the Gold Coast cavill mall.)
We went up to Quebec and Montreal [-30degrees windchill...nice huh] and Toronto.
We flew across to the west coast of Canada and did Vancouver and surrounds. Lake Louise, Banff, Sunshine [skiing one day each] and Jasper a few days skiing. Then to LA, Vegas and SFO.

I know it is a LOT of planning. This took AGES to organise. But if you take the time you can get a lot done and it really does work and I completely agree with wanting to do LOTS of stuff while you are there anyway. [noone enjoys that 12+hr flight:rolleyes:]

What am I talking about, there is no holiday, this is just me dreaming, but as I said, I am very determined, my dreams usually become reality, :lmao::lmao:
We drive everywhere we go as it is so much easier and you have control. I love taxis in NY but it would drive me nuts having to use them to get around Orlando. Orlando is a city built around cars. [Once you see the size of the WDW parking lots you will understand:rotfl:]

Kennedy, Universal, Any other destinations...you really need a car for that. A taxi all the way out to Kennedy would be pricy :confused: and a tour you can be forced to leave early as it is when they are leaving.
I dunno...I just love the control you have by having your own car. The only bad part is that it dongs all the time.
[Does ANYONE know why american cars go dong dong dong dong dong until you close all the doors :mad: and don't say safety...because donging me to death makes me an angry driver.]

For accommodations we are trying heaps out soon so I'll get back to you:lmao:

I had a workmate go to WDW for the first time (to any Disney park) with family who had been before and loved it. He did some research but very little detailed planning. [he did have the advantage of those who had been before but they were still not disboard planners:rotfl2:]
They didn't even book the rental car - just asked at the desk on arrival. He stayed offsite and drove around. Had a wonderful time.
Planning helps you heaps and you can enjoy it and appreciate it in much greater depth (and find all the really cool stuff you might miss) if you take the time.:thumbsup2 But it isn't something to worry about excessively.

Just sit back and take it in slowly. Starting now is great....even if it is a dream at this stage.:thumbsup2

Thanks for all of the info Queenie. I like the idea of driving from New York, to Washington and on to Canada. That is definitely something to consider.

As for driving around Orlando, hmmm I wouldn't want to drive between parks and accommodation to be honest. But I guess until I was there I couldn't rule anything out. I would catch a guided bus tour to Kennedy Space Centre, whilst I agree that it's a bit frustrating to leave if you haven't finished looking around, I feel you get soooo much more information from an experienced tour guide, much more than if we were to drive ourselves there. I must admit to being quite a guided tour fan, :lmao: even my DH was converted on this trip to the US we just had. We just learned so much, cool stuff, informative stuff, funny stuff, it was a joy to just sit back and soak it all in.

We wouldn't ski in Canada probably, as we aren't a family of skiers, but we would enjoy a toboggan and to throw a snowball or two, hehehe.

I met some aussies when we were in New York and they had just been to Gettysburg and done that whole thing and they couldn't stop raving about it so I think I would enjoy seeing that.

Off to keep dreaming and researching.

Hi again!

I have absolutely no problem driving around Orlando at all. In fact I would rather drive there than Sydney (and I learnt to drive in Sydney - long time ago of course!) The drivers over there I found to be most courteous - in fact I never heard a car horn in over 2 weeks.
In regard to Kennedy Space Centre - I haven't done a tour there (yes, I drove!), but once you are inside, there are guides there who go around with you (at least there were in 2002 - perhaps someone can confirm that). I didn't feel I missed out on anything while I was at Kennedy - I found it so interesting, I'm going back again next year.
Sounds like I am pushing the car option - it works for me, but I know it doesn't work for everyone. But, by having the car we were able to go to so many places - International Drive (for shopping and sightseeing), outlet malls of which there are quite a few, Celebration, which is a quaint residential/restaurant/small shopping area near WDW. If you stay onsite the transport options are good, but they are only around WDW - taxis to other places off site could be quite pricey.
Anyway, hope this is helps - it is daunting, but I thank goodness for the internet every day when I am planning my holidays! And I find that each time I go I go for longer (first time 2 days, then 12 days, 15 days and next year 20 days!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter