WDW Dining Plan - Counter Service Meals - Adults and Childs ARE Interchangeable....

Oz-kateer

DIS Veteran
Last year when I was at WDW I had a few occasions when my son just plain didn't like anything (usually only a couple of options) offered on the childrens counter service menu. Hot dogs, nuggets, hot dogs, nuggets, macaroni, hot dogs, nuggets.... I guess he just got bored.

And he became especially incenced when I was offered something like chocolate cake as a dessert while he was offered grapes :rolleyes1 Yeah, like that will wash with any kid. "Here son, enjoy your sliced apple while I eat my cheesecake".

It created the odd difficulty and a few times I ended up eating a child meal while my son had something from the adult menu. Just to keep the peace.

After I got back heard that on the DDP the system understands the difference between an adult TS credit and a child's TS credit alright but for QS it just registers a "Quick service credit". Not a QS adult credit or QS child's credit. Therefore, when you front up for a QS meal you can order whatever you like, child or adult.

I thought it was an urban myth but I had it cofirmed for me by several people including Disney themselves - you can call the dining area on 0011 1 407 939 3463.

Am I just the slow duck in the race or did other people know about this as well?

I did know about this when we went but didn't actually order from the adults menu for my DS as yes you can, but you are not supposed to ;) I didn't feel comfortable doing it (taking an adult meal when I had only paid for a child meal :goodvibes ) as it is quite clearly stated in the dining plan policy that they are to order from the child's menu when there is one :thumbsup2

Lucky you have bought this up on the Aussie board if you had bought it up on the dining plan board :rolleyes1 you would have had some heated replies, we would be breaking out the popcorn:: :rotfl2:

Disney dining plan policy for children aged 3 to 9 for quick service states
Guests ages 3-9 must order from a children’s menu where available.
Their policy is written here
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/me...alog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2010Dining.pdf

So yes you can order an adults meal at a quick service using a child credit (even though they are not seperated like the TS credits) but it is against Disney dining policy to do so. I don't think anybody will stop you (not you personally, anybody :rotfl: ) if you went up and order and leave the child at the table and nobody but you will know that you have done it. It's a grey area and if somebody feels comfortable ordering an adult meal when they have paid for a child meal then that's fine, the only person who will know will be the person ordering :thumbsup2

We got the DDP for free, as we will be doing this time around - and next time too. So I don't feel like I'm cheating a system that I paid specifically for.

If my son is happy to eat from the kids menu, no big deal, but when he is fussing over yet again still more nuggets when something else looks better, I'll just order him what he wants.

I figure that I'll pay for it eventually, at some point in the trip, as the profit on another item I actually do pay for specifically.

I just wish I'd known it last time!

We got the DDP for free, as we will be doing this time around - and next time too. So I don't feel like I'm cheating a system that I paid specifically for.

If my son is happy to eat from the kids menu, no big deal, but when he is fussing over yet again still more nuggets when something else looks better, I'll just order him what he wants.

I figure that I'll pay for it eventually, at some point in the trip, as the profit on another item I actually do pay for specifically.

I'm not bagging you or anybody else who wants to order an adults meal instead of the childs meal that has been paid for (or given to you). I really don't concern myself with what others do an do not do, we are all old enough to make our own decisions :rotfl2: Truely I am not bothered by what you do :goodvibes But you have started a thread that does actually inform people on how to "cheat the system" as you said and get something more than they have paid for or been given :rolleyes1

But again, the disney policy for the dining plan is quite clear about what is included for children between the age of 3 to 9 and if you are comfortable ordering a larger meal than what you have been offered for free then that is your choice, only you will know ;) so wether you got the dining plan for free or not, you were only given a free child meal, not a free adults meal! You have not specifically paid for or been given an adult menu for your child between the age of 3 and 9.

You know what I mean. Free dining or not, if you have a child between the age of 3 and 9 in your party on the dining plan they have not been given the large serve, they have been given the small serve.

It must not bother Disney or they would change the set up. They may end up doing that who knows.

Sorry :flower3: It's just my feelings and again I am not bothered by what anybody else does (I don't have a Disney child anymore, unfortunately :sad1:) , but for myself, I wouldn't do it :goodvibes

There is a way to do it so that your child does not have to order off the kids menu :thumbsup2

When you make your resort reservations, you register your child as age 10. You then do have to buy adult theme park tickets for that child, but they are then entitled to the adult meals :thumbsup2

Just an idea, then your DS can order off the adults menu when without any worries :goodvibes :thumbsup2

Yes, I did know and have used it according to what your were advised by the CM. However, threads of this nature are usually closed by moderators. If you are entitled to order of the adult menu, then you would have to pay the adult price on the dining plan, which is much higher than the childs rate. We did find that many of the table service places were flexible to. We were permitted to order child portions of adult menu a couple of times, also, where there was a a choice of say a fixed childs meal that included appetiser, entree (main) and dessert, my daughter was permitted to change the dessert for another from the childs menu.

There is a way to do it so that your child does not have to order off the kids menu :thumbsup2

When you make your resort reservations, you register your child as age 10. You then do have to buy adult theme park tickets for that child, but they are then entitled to the adult meals :thumbsup2

Just an idea, then your DS can order off the adults menu when without any worries :goodvibes :thumbsup2

So I wouldn't have the issues I had last time, I actually did try and do this but the travel agent wouldn't allow it - said it's against Disney policy or somesuch - if I tried to use an adult ticket to get a child who was obviously not the right age to get into the parks there would be questions raised about people using one ticket for multiple guests etc, and ID questions.

My son didn't want to order an adult meal every time, it was just on two occasions out of the eleven days we were there where he got sick of the same old, same old they were offering on the kids menu.

However as I did say, I called Disney Dining and asked about it (number quoted above) and thay advised that it is permitted, and the woman I spoke to stressed it was for QS and not TS - but I was aware of that difference. I even asked her if there way a way to pay the difference, but she said it's too complicated, so they don't bother.

It's not as though I have an eleven year old I'm trying to pass off as a 9 year old to save money and then end up ordering them adult meals every time.

I think that if Disney say it's ok then, I would have no issue with doing it. I mean if they are on the phone advising people that it is an option, then clearly they don't have a problem with it. I guess that if it really was an issue then Disney would be putting a system into place where they could distinguish between the two. :confused3

xxx

I think that if Disney say it's ok then, I would have no issue with doing it. I mean if they are on the phone advising people that it is an option, then clearly they don't have a problem with it. I guess that if it really was an issue then Disney would be putting a system into place where they could distinguish between the two. :confused3

xxx

I totally agree with this, I would imagine if they thought it was a problem they would most definitely not have online dining CM's advising this is ok. I doubt whether kids under 9 would want to eat off the adult CS's menus all that often anyway. Like Oz-kateer mentioned, it was only once or twice and I agree the children's menu's are very very monotonous and limited.

xxx

I totally agree with this, I would imagine if they thought it was a problem they would most definitely not have online dining CM's advising this is ok. I doubt whether kids under 9 would want to eat off the adult CS's menus all that often anyway. Like Oz-kateer mentioned, it was only once or twice and I agree the children's menu's are very very monotonous and limited.

Unfortunately many CM's over the phone give the incorrect information all the time, there are threads on Disboards about it all the time. Most don't work on WDW property, they are at call centers around the USA.

I don't know why this is bothering me so much :lmao: I don't even have an under 9 anymore :sad1: But maybe its just because I don't want somebody reading the information here, that "adult and child CS credits are interchangable" then assuming that it's ok and that it's correct when that statement is not correct Disney policy :upsidedow. You CAN do it, but you are not supposed to, that's all I'm saying! :lmao: If every child ordered from the adults menu instead of the child's menu, the prices will go up to counteract this and everybody will pay, Disney does not like giving things away :rotfl2:

Again here is the link to the official WDW dining plan information, policy etc. It is in black and white (well it's in multi colours actually but you know what I mean :rotfl: ), the policy of children 3 to 9 and what they can order whilst on the dining plan (OOP is another story, you can order from whereever you want)
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/me...alog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2011Dining.pdf
On page one it says
Guest age 3-9:
(must order from a children’s menu where available)
On page three under "Quick Service Dining" it says
The Disney Dining Plan is unavailable for Guests under the age of 3, but they may share from an adult plate at no charge, or a meal may be purchased from the menu. The price of the meal will be added to your bill. Guests ages 3-9 must order from a children’s menu where available.
Then on the last page there is a FAQ page. On that page it says
Q. Can Guests ages 3-9 order anything off the menu?
A. No, Guests ages 3-9 must order from a children’s menu, where available. Many children’s menus offer healthy options in addition to kid favorites. The Disney Dining Plan is unavailable for Guests under the age of 3, but they may share from an adult plate at no charge, or a meal may be purchased from the menu. The price of the meal will be added to your bill.

Their policy is quite clear. Adhere to it, don't adhere to it, but that is the truth. I totally understand the child getting sick of nuggets, believe me, we were at WDW for 22 nights on the DDP when my DS was 8, there are only so many nuggets one can consume :lmao: One day he actually asked for the chicken caesar salad at Mara (and my DS hates salad :rotfl:) and it wasn't on the children's menu, so we paid for it.

OK, I'm going to say no more :rotfl2: I must get off my tangent. Queenie, I'm just trying to fill your place :lmao: :goodvibes

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Queenie would be proud of you. It's fine that you feel strongly about this subject. Thank you for giving all of us so much information regarding this subject.

I'm sure people will use their discretion and do what they feel okay about doing.:)

THANK YOU oz kateer, I was concerened about my two youngest having to live off a diet of nuggets and chips for two weeks. I mean if they get sick of eatting bad food and want a salad or sandwich etc then why not? At the end of the day we are paying for it like you have said and if disney was losing money then they would be onto it in a snap. I have no problems with it. Thank you so much for letting us all know. xx

The last time I posted something like this, the entire thread got deleted by the moderators. But then it was on the dining section; not the Aussie.

Disney policy is quite clear - Child and Adult meals on QS are NOT interchangeable. And the Cast Member at the check-outs are able to check how many adults and children you have associated with your plan when they swipe your KTTW. But they are all not diligent about checking.

My then 9 yo son only ate about 3 children's meals out of 10 CS meals that he was allocated when we were there in May. We did seriously debate whether we register him as an adult and pay the difference in ticket and dining plan; but then thought we might be able to share meals with him - given how big meal sizes were in the US.
We didn't push the boundary at all in the parks (much); but at the resort, the CM were even less inclined to check. We were asked about it once by one CM at our resort - but we told them to charge it out of the adult meals. He give me that 'look' and let it go.

It also helped that we didn't buy meals for all 3 of us in one go i.e., I would go and get a meal for the son and myself whilst hubby guarded the table; and when we returned hubby would go get a meal for himself.

The one park that I thought policed the matter the best was Animal Kingdom. We had about 2 meals there and the CM seem to be trained to check if we had a child on QS on the KTTW so we definitely didn't push it. I don't know why they were different - perhaps we struck 2 very diligent workers at the same park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter