WDW buses realistic expectations with a wheelchair?

Staren

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

This is my first post here on the boards. I'm not a WDW first timer, but I'm planning my first trip as the organizer, and it will be my first time staying on property. I'm wondering what my expectations should be of the WDW bus transportation as a wheelchair user?

I know that they are accessible, but there is access in theory, and there is access in practice. My first instinct is to go for a monorail resort to minimize bus usage as much as possible, but I'm wondering if I'm worrying too much. Am I going to have to wait three busses before I will have room to get on? Will a cast member always be having to make a hole for me? A couple of the moderate resorts look interesting to me, but I'm worried that transportation will be too frustrating every day if I stay in a bus only resort.

Does anyone have experiences or thoughts?

It is very easy to use the busses, you go to the bus stop there was be a wheel chair ECV spot you wait there when the bus comes the driver will lower a ramp you will get on and park your wheel chair in a wheel chair spot ( the drive will lift up sets for you to park) and then all the other guest get on, then when you get to your park the poised happens ever other guest get off and you get off last.

The only time this is a little different is at the MK ( other parks might do this and it might just be a few of the value resorts ) but every one get in the same line and closer to the front they will pull out wheel chair user to get on first. But I would not worry about this or using busses at Disney

I go a lot and most times there is no ECV or wheel chair on the bus, my friend andI go a lot too and she uses an ECV there was one time there was one other ECV user with us and we asked the CM there what would happen if someone else showed up ands said they would get another bus. So is there a change you might wait yes there is, but there would be a change that other guest would have to wait for more then one buss yes, it happens every time I go and I do not use a mobility device.

As a wheelchair user/paraplegic with a fair amount of WDW trips here is my opinion.

If I have a car with me I drive to all parks except the MK. But if I fly down to WDW I don't bother renting a car. Overall the bus system is good. There have been a lot of times when I've arrived while the bus is already being loaded, when there are already 2 or more wheelchairs/ECVs waiting, or even when the ramp is broken. These things do bother me, which is why I drive if I can, but they don't ruin my day. There is always another bus coming soon.

I think when you travel is also going to affect your trip. Having to wait for another bus, sometimes 2 buses or more, occurs mostly because the bus doesn't have room for my wheelchair since the tie down spots are already occupied. So if you go during a really busy time it's more likely that this could happen.

Some moderates, especially the larger ones like Coronado Springs, have multiple bus stops. I never had a problem anywere with a wheelchair on the bus, but I suggest going to the first stop on the property, even if it is not near your building. This means that you will be less likely to encounter people already in the wheelchair spots.

You will likely end up waiting if you leave the parks right after fireworks or at opening or closing, but even if you were walking, it is not uncommon to wait for more than one bus at such a busy time.

Hi all,

This is my first post here on the boards. I'm not a WDW first timer, but I'm planning my first trip as the organizer, and it will be my first time staying on property. I'm wondering what my expectations should be of the WDW bus transportation as a wheelchair user?

I know that they are accessible, but there is access in theory, and there is access in practice. My first instinct is to go for a monorail resort to minimize bus usage as much as possible, but I'm wondering if I'm worrying too much. Am I going to have to wait three busses before I will have room to get on? Will a cast member always be having to make a hole for me? A couple of the moderate resorts look interesting to me, but I'm worried that transportation will be too frustrating every day if I stay in a bus only resort.

Does anyone have experiences or thoughts?

Just a couple of things to add that you may not have noticed on previous trips.

You will be boarded first, and you will disembark last. This is universally true for all Disney BUS transportation. The monorails, and the boats seem to (on average) simply take you as you appear in line; they all use the portable ramps anyway.

When waiting for the bus ramp to flip over and come down, be sure to stay back far enough (your driver will tell you if you need to move) and watch for the raised lip on either side of the ramp; don't try to come at the ramp from the bottom at an angle, and don't try to come down the ramp and then veer off before all four wheels are on the ground.

The boats from GF and Poly to MK cannot accommodate a wheelchair unless you can step down into the boat, and fold the chair for transport. (They are the smaller boats) The same goes for the smaller boats that are over at Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness - however, the bigger boats are no problem, and you can easily board those. The WL/FW boats tend to alternate - so if a smaller boat is at the dock now, wait about 20 minutes and a larger boat that can accommodate you will appear!

The boats at Disney Springs, as well as to/from the Port Orleans resorts and Old Key West, are all fine - portable ramps, and typically lots of space for wheelchair users.

The boats that run to/from Epcot - Hollywood Studios (and the Resorts in between) are all fine as well.

When waiting at the Resort bus stop, if a bus comes along that is NOT your destination, be sure to let the driver know you don't want to get on, especially if you are the only wheeled mobility device there. They will often automatically close the doors and "kneel" the bus after everyone has gotten off, unless you indicate by shaking your head (or having a member of your party go to the door) that you are not taking his/her bus.

Similarly, I always wave and smile at the driver of the bus I want to take, so that they know I am waiting for them.

On average, if you have to wait for another bus (because the first bus that arrived had no available tie downs) then plan on between 20 and 30 minutes. Having said that, I have seen on rare occasions the next bus show up within 10 minutes or so; on our trip last month, one of our drivers was in a "pool" of drivers that were being dispatched to locations as needed, and not on a fixed route of any kind, so...

The learning curve for Disney transportation with any kind of mobility device is actually pretty short - let your bus drivers know that this is your first time using a wheelchair on the bus at WDW, and they will be helpful!

Have a great trip!

granted I go usually in September, but I have NEVER had to wait for multiple buses coming or going. ( including rope drop and end of the night) in fact 90% of the time I am the only one waiting in an WC/ECV. I avoid the monorail however.. mostly because it seems to be breaking down a lot more than it used to.

I only suggest picking a resort that does NOT share buses with any other.

Thanks so much everyone. Sounds like WDW has wheelchair access on the buses down pretty well, and I shouldn't expect to wait any more than other passengers most of the time. Great to hear.

...My first instinct is to go for a monorail resort to minimize bus usage as much as possible...

One more thought about the monorail resorts. The hills leading up to the monorail at the MK and the ramps going up at the TTC are really steep. They are probably the steepest hills in all of WDW. So unless you're a real pro at these types of hills you will need someone strong to help you up and down the hills. I actually find it easier to walk over to the Contemporary than push up that hill to the monorail. If I'm going to the Poly I take the ferry over and walk from the TTC.

One more thought about the monorail resorts. The hills leading up to the monorail at the MK and the ramps going up at the TTC are really steep. They are probably the steepest hills in all of WDW. So unless you're a real pro at these types of hills you will need someone strong to help you up and down the hills. I actually find it easier to walk over to the Contemporary than push up that hill to the monorail. If I'm going to the Poly I take the ferry over and walk from the TTC.

oh dear gawd yes

Thanks so much everyone. Sounds like WDW has wheelchair access on the buses down pretty well, and I shouldn't expect to wait any more than other passengers most of the time. Great to hear.

They really do have an excellent system in place. Using a wheelchair is a non issue with buses, in my opinion.

As mentioned, the monorail ramps are quite steep and long. Additionally, you usually have to back off of them, which is a little scary at times. I would much prefer to use a bus.

I have found the bus drivers to be extremely kind in getting the chair and person on the bus. The people on line for the bus are usually quite understanding. I have not had any issues.

The bus will take 2 chairs. If you are the 3rd chair in line, the bus driver will call another bus for you. It will be there in 5 minutes.

Don't worry! You will be fine!

I just got back from Disney with a friend that uses an ECV we were going back to our hotel from the MK late one night and the only other people in line ahead of us was 2 family and each had an ECV so we were the 3 one the CM came up to use and said that he had just called for another bus to come the first buss pulled up and about a minute latter another bus pulled up behind it ( the first buss had not even gotten the ramp down) and my friend and I loaded on the second bus and we left at the same time as the first bus.

I know that this ma not happen but this is what happened when there was 3 people with mobility devices waiting on the same bus.

I'm getting more excited the more I plan this trip. Besides a couple of super short clips, I'm not finding much in the way of trip reports or vlogs by people who really used accessability features at WDW. I really want to find out what my experience is going to be getting out and going solo.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, please. I think a monorail can only take 4 ECVs or electric wheelchairs per train. The busses could be actually faster if they call another bus for you.

I just got back from my first trip to WDW. We had two ecv's and only a couple of times did we have to wait for a second bus. But they did call and it was there in a few minutes. We stayed at Art of Animation and in the mornings the Magic Kingdom buses came back to back because of the long lines. So we didn't have to wait. The bus drivers are experienced in getting you parked on the bus and I never met a grumpy driver. They are very helpful. Before we went I stressed about it and discovered that all the helpful information I received here on the boards was true. :ccat:

I've found the buses pretty easy in a wheelchair. Sometimes you may have to wait for the next bus, if the ramp's not working or the bus is already full, but they'll usually send another bus along fairly quickly. The tie-downs work well, the bus drivers are friendly and we find it a very reliable service. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks a lot @OneLittleSpark. Really helpful to know. Doesn't help with picking my resort though. ::sigh:: Now I have to put AKL on the list. Choices, choices.

Can someone advise about wc at a larger resort like CBR? Group of 14, one with very limited mobility, in wc...I am planning for whole group!?! And I want to make things as smooth as possible?

@Tmom5 how much do you know about the wheelchair users disability? Working around a large resort can mean anything from a preferred room to be closer to the amenities, to a fully accessible room. It really depends on their individual needs.

@Tmom5 how much do you know about the wheelchair users disability? Working around a large resort can mean anything from a preferred room to be closer to the amenities, to a fully accessible room. It really depends on their individual needs.

I've requested a ground floor accessible room with roll-in shower, she cannot do stairs. She has pretty advanced dementia. Can walk, but again, no stairs or stepping over tub. It will be the first time using a wc, but she definitely can't walk a week, or even a day of Disney!! 2 of us work in healthcare, but none of us have ever traveled with WC, so no very little about ramps, lifts, etc!?!

I think being close to transportation will be best for her/us...With OPR being closed, we don't plan to eat at the resort often. We can swim in the closest "quiet pool" and take our MNSSHP morning to go to the themed pool.

I worry that making too many special requests for the room will cause issues, and we won't get what we need. I am really wanting our rooms to be close, so we can all help, and her room on ground floor, hopefully close to transportation.

With a group of 14, are we going to have trouble all getting on a bus together. I read somewhere that they allow 5 on the bus with the WC?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter