Ways to combat low mood/depression

Drasticq

Mouseketeer
The obvious two treatments are counselling/therapy and medication.

However, there are other treatments, some of which you may not have coined in.

Massage and acupuncture, including aromatherapy and reflexology can improve mood and are lovely little perks to have any which way!

Now, dark chocolate. Not in huge quantities! But a little every now and then can act as a great antidepressant.

Leafy salads such as lettuce and cabbage aid in sleep. In fact, herbal sleeping tablets often are no more than crushed leaves. And good sleep means better mood.

Light boxes can simulate sunshine which combats seasonal low mood, known as SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder.

eTNS - can reduce symptoms of depression in week by as much as 50%. Touted as having no side effects, a very, very low current passed across the head can make patients feel "alert yet relaxed".

rTMS is being championed as the new electroshock. A magnetic pulse or trains of quick pulses are passed through the head for about half an hour and patients generally report an improvement in their mood very comprehensibly.

ECT, aka. electroshock. I know, it sounds barbaric, but it really works and is quite sophisticated nowadays. If nothing else works for you this last resort treatment will perk you up big time - hopefully! You are sedated, paralysed and treated quickly. Sadly memory functions can be affected and anaesthesia carries risks. But if you need it, you need it.

I hope this post helps someone.

Last edited:
The electric and magnetic shocks are not something I'd personally mess with, but I absolutely have a light box and chocolate!

Exercise.

I understand that depression can make someone not feel up to it, but practicing self-care activities...time with friends, etc. often helps.

Exercise certainly can help! Whether it's a quick dip in a pool or a good run, neurotransmitters associated with good mood pool in the brain and your gray matter soaks in them longer, an action mirrored by antidepressants.

Suicide rates are way up these days. Take care of yourself.

Couldn't agree with you more. I don't actually think that enough weight is put on mental health these days, not by a long shot. People say things like, "snap out of it". Well, I see mental illnesses like a broken arm. Can you just snap out of a broken arm?

The obvious two treatments are counselling/therapy and medication.

However, there are other treatments, some of which you may not have coined in.

Massage and acupuncture, including aromatherapy and reflexology can improve mood and are lovely little perks to have any which way!

Now, dark chocolate. Not in huge quantities! But a little every now and then can act as a great antidepressant.

Leafy salads such as lettuce and cabbage aid in sleep. In fact, herbal sleeping tablets often are no more than crushed leaves. And good sleep means better mood.

Light boxes can simulate sunshine which combats seasonal low mood, known as SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder.

eTNS - can reduce symptoms of depression in week by as much as 50%. Touted as having no side effects, a very, very low current passed across the head can make patients feel "alert yet relaxed".

rTMS is being championed as the new electroshock. A magnetic pulse or trains of quick pulses are passed through the head for about half an hour and patients generally report an improvement in their mood very comprehensibly.

ECT, aka. electroshock. I know, it sounds barbaric, but it really works and is quite sophisticated nowadays. If nothing else works for you this last resort treatment will perk you up big time - hopefully! You are sedated, paralysed and treated quickly. Sadly memory functions can be affected and anaesthesia carries risks. But if you need it, you need it.

I hope this post helps someone.
Couldn't agree with you more. I don't actually think that enough weight is put on mental health these days, not by a long shot. People say things like, "snap out of it". Well, I see mental illnesses like a broken arm. Can you just snap out of a broken arm?

Mental health will continue to be stigmatized until the end of time.

OP, would you start a thread saying hey, if you have liver cancer, or MS, have a bar of chocolate or go for a walk. That should help too?

:sad2: :sad2:

But it SHOULDN'T be. I didn't cause/ask for my depression, any more than I caused/asked for a tumor to grow in my breast. Both should be treated like the medical conditions they are.

OP, would you start a thread saying hey, if you have liver cancer, or MS, have a bar of chocolate or go for a walk. That should help too?

:sad2: :sad2:

Was just trying to help :(

Besides, whilst I will stick my hand up and say that I have experienced mental health problems - and I'm not ashamed to admit that - I have never been afflicted with cancer or MS. If you have, maybe it would be a good thing to post a coping with thread?

I do believe that exercise and healthier living does help in many cases. It's a positive step no matter what really and at the very least should be combined with additional treatment.

Most people don’t even do the recommended exercise requirements for heart health. And medical insurance deductibles are through the roof. It’s becoming to expensive to take care of yourself in the US.

Vitamin D also affects low energy and mood.

Interesting. Will look into that.

Good diet and fish oils are meant to be good for sound mental health, and there are a range of natural supplements that can help. A very small amount of red wine has sometimes been suggested (not, read NOT an excuse to go out and get wasted!)

But it SHOULDN'T be. I didn't cause/ask for my depression, any more than I caused/asked for a tumor to grow in my breast. Both should be treated like the medical conditions they are.

I absolutely agree with you. This thread just seems to treat it as something that can be cured by just doing more to be happy. We know that’s not the case.

Was just trying to help :(

Besides, whilst I will stick my hand up and say that I have experienced mental health problems - and I'm not ashamed to admit that - I have never been afflicted with cancer or MS. If you have, maybe it would be a good thing to post a coping with thread?

I know you’re trying to help. Your intentions are good but it just comes off as saying, hey, just try harder and you won’t be sad.
I hope you find what works for your mental health issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter