Wave phone

ACJT

DIS Veteran
Can someone explain how the wave phones work. I keep reading people mention them. I'm curious.

Every stateroom comes with 2 wave phones. They are free to use, but if you damage or lose yours you have to pay to replace them.

They are satellite phones that will let you call or text any other wave phone on the ship. So you can use them to get in touch with other members in your travel party.

The phones are numbered by stateroom. So for example we were in room 5688, so our phones were 56881 and 56882. So if I had phone 1 and my husband had phone 2, I could either dial number 56882 from my wave phone to call him, or send a text message to number 56882.

The phones do not ring, they just vibrate.

Anyone know how much it is to "rent" another phone?

You will love love love having the wave phone!! It is such a wonderful convenience!! Just be careful, you will be charged if they get lost or broken!!

The wave phone is also how the kids clubs will contact you if your children want to be picked up or if they have a message to send out. We got a couple of messages saying that our child was participating in a show if we wanted to attend.

How do they work? Not well mostly. Maybe it's just because my husband and I are spoiled by our smart phones but we had the hardest time getting those wave phones to work. Half the time we would call each other we couldn't hear each other. We found the texting confusing as well. My poor husband didn't realize that the phone was asking him if it should "show?" my messages to him and he thought I was constantly asking him to go to a show. :rolleyes: I think the phones are a great idea and I love that they offer them but I don't feel like they work all that well.

You can buy a fabric holder with a clip on etsy specifically for them. Might do that for September.

DS (nearly 14) will be using the phones in the Edge, in the corridors etc. to call us and let us know of his plans. I trust him to do this, but I do not trust him to not put the phone down somewhere, loose it and incur a $250.00 bill for me!!!!

I bought a dark blue lanyard in the shop for pretty inexpensive. It had a clear pouch on the front that I suppose was meant for the room key but I found the phone slipped right into it. It worked well and since it was right in front of me all the time I was always able to see when I call a call or confused text.

How do they work? Not well mostly. Maybe it's just because my husband and I are spoiled by our smart phones but we had the hardest time getting those wave phones to work. Half the time we would call each other we couldn't hear each other. We found the texting confusing as well. My poor husband didn't realize that the phone was asking him if it should "show?" my messages to him and he thought I was constantly asking him to go to a show. :rolleyes: I think the phones are a great idea and I love that they offer them but I don't feel like they work all that well.

They are not satellite phones. They are more like cell phones but operate in a private network. They work on the ship and on Castaway Cay.

Rent is $3.50 per day but you have to put a deposit which will get refunded. And you need to make sure you get the receipt showing it was refunded. This past Feb, they charged me the deposit and when I went back, they said, "oh it's ok - nothing else to do". Yeah right - I insisted the CM to credit back and show me the updated folio. She was just going just 'take the wavephone back'.

I bought a dark blue lanyard in the shop for pretty inexpensive. It had a clear pouch on the front that I suppose was meant for the room key but I found the phone slipped right into it. It worked well and since it was right in front of me all the time I was always able to see when I call a call or confused text.

could you tell me more about this? I have never bothered with the phones because I figured it would be more of a bother to carry them than to do without but if there is a way to carry them......hmmmmmm.
you bought the lanyard on the ship? was the pouch the same size as the ones on the freebee lanyards? are the phones that small?
sorry for so many questions but I would use the phones if I could trust dh not to lose it. he doesn't carry a cell at home so this would not be second nature to him.

How big are the phones? Thinking I could probably make myself a holder for it.:cool1:

fxulbq.jpg

247bcdba-11e2-403d-976e-5e7fed9e95bc_zps334e55ed.jpg

Here is a picture of my lanyard with the wave phone in it. You can sort of see how the phone fits into the front pocket. It sticks out over the top but it's a pretty snug fit so it never fell out. (Sorry the pic is so big. I can't figure out how to change it.)

247bcdba-11e2-403d-976e-5e7fed9e95bc_zps334e55ed.jpg

Here is a picture of my lanyard with the wave phone in it. You can sort of see how the phone fits into the front pocket. It sticks out over the top but it's a pretty snug fit so it never fell out. (Sorry the pic is so big. I can't figure out how to change it.)

thanks for the pick, it all makes more sense to me now. I was trying to picture the other kind of plastic holders. it kind of looks like the ones, maybe, from the Disney store. does it have a wallet flold out thingy? would this be it http://www.disneystore.com/disney-cruise-line-lanyard-wallet/mp/1288967/1000285/
did you purchase that on the ship recently? I would be very interested in picking one up as it seems to be just the right thing. hope they still have them.
again, thanks for posting that picture so I could get an idea of how it would work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter