• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Waterproof Cameras

Johnny_Cage

Earning My Ears
Can anyone recommend a waterproof digital camera?

I know Sony's are one of the the best for point and shoot, but their waterproof casings are not convenient for the pockets. Last time I brought my camera on DCA's Grizzly Rapids, it got soaked and only worked after drying and praying that it would work.

I bought a Fuji Z33 for $150 2 months ago. Still shots an video on GRR came out good and I've taken underwater shots in the pool with it. So far so good.

The only thing I don;t like about it is there is no mechanism to cover the lens, but I guess that is a part of it being waterproof.

DSCF1415.JPG

Have you checked out the Olympus Stylus? Walmart has them (online at least) from about $160-250 (give or take). We have heard great things about it from a couple people and are buying one this week.

I have the Olympus Stylus 1030SW, it is waterproof, crushproof, freezeproof, dustproof, and shatterproof... pretty darn great!

I'm on my 2nd waterproof Olympus, not because it stopped working or anything but I lost it at DL. Love my camera. I've used it in the pool, snorkeling in Hawaii, rafting in Colorado and just general picture taking.

I have an older model, 850 but would be happy with any of the waterproof models except the 1050. That one has a sliding closure that people have reported that it sticks. All the other models don't have this mechanism so no problems with opening and closing.

I've been looking at the Canon Powershot D10, anyone have any experience with this one?

I have the Olympus Stylus 1030SW, it is waterproof, crushproof, freezeproof, dustproof, and shatterproof... pretty darn great!

Oh Yeah? Let me borrow it for about 10mins. (I could mess up an anvil with a butter knife) ;)

We have the Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 We haven't had the chance yet to really test it's waterproof properties, but it says it's water proof to 3m, drop proof, etc blah blah.. It's 10MP. It takes a decent photo, and it fits nicely in your pocket. It's only our back up camera, mostly we use our SLR, but it's perfect for GRR etc.

My experience with a waterproof camera is mostly limited to a Pentax W60. The pictures were terrible, so terrible I had to return it. The only good photos I have seen are with a waterproof case on a Canon.

I've seen great photos from the Canon 10 and the Panasonic Ts1 (IIRC that's what it's called.) They are the first waterproof cameras from both manufacturers so anyone can google/find it. Their optics are far superior to the Oly's, Fuji, and Pentax. I tried them all in a store. I'm getting one on my next trip for when we're at the pool, and it'll be either a Canon or a Panasonic.

I've seen great photos from the Canon 10 and the Panasonic Ts1 (IIRC that's what it's called.) They are the first waterproof cameras from both manufacturers so anyone can google/find it. Their optics are far superior to the Oly's, Fuji, and Pentax. I tried them all in a store. I'm getting one on my next trip for when we're at the pool, and it'll be either a Canon or a Panasonic.

You have a discerning eye, DSF. That's pretty much what DP Review said in the link I posted above, though you have to get through to the conclusions on page 17 (!!) to see it. The Canon D10 and Panasonic DMC-TS1 got their "Highly Recommended" rating. Pentax W60 got "Recommended". The others weren't up to snuff in picture quality, according to them.

Thanks for the review link, I'm trying to get the Canon D10 before we take our Disney cruise in Nov and then we have a trip to Kauai in Feb for our 30th Anniversary.

You have a discerning eye, DSF. That's pretty much what DP Review said in the link I posted above, though you have to get through to the conclusions on page 17 (!!) to see it. The Canon D10 and Panasonic DMC-TS1 got their "Highly Recommended" rating. Pentax W60 got "Recommended". The others weren't up to snuff in picture quality, according to them.

Thanks GrandBob! That is a great link. I'm glad I didn't have to wade through 17 pages to find that info!:eek:

I'm on my 2nd waterproof Olympus, not because it stopped working or anything but I lost it at DL. Love my camera. I've used it in the pool, snorkeling in Hawaii, rafting in Colorado and just general picture taking.

I have an older model, 850 but would be happy with any of the waterproof models except the 1050. That one has a sliding closure that people have reported that it sticks. All the other models don't have this mechanism so no problems with opening and closing.

Actually, we bought the Olympus 1050SW about a month ago specifically for DL, and it worked beautifully, especially in the pool; we didn't have any problems with the sliding closure. So far, it's served its purpose well and takes very nice, crisp photos. The shockproof feature is comforting, especially considering how many times I've dropped the camera :blush:

Here's a link, if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylu...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251177649&sr=1-5

Best wishes!

I thought about getting a waterproof camera after getting thoroughly soaked on Splash Mountain but read how people just put their cameras in ziploc bags for those rides--sounds good to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter