water parks with ASD teen and ADHD preteen

Ctsplaysinrain

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of checking out one of the waterparks this trip... BUT, my 13 yr old son with Asperger's is suddenly HUGE ( 5'10" and about 150 lbs).. He doesnt like any of the large slides, crowded lines or harsh wave pool.. Our only experience with waterparks so far has been Water Country USA in Williamsburg. This has been somewhat sucessful but the last time we went was 2 yrs ago and he was still able to play in the kiddie water park etc.. His favorite there was the lazy river.. . On the other hand, I have a daredevil ADHD 12 yr old who is on the small side and can be dangerously impulsive at times so I do not like him out of my sight... ( I will not do big slides either) We have some hoppers w/ wps included so I am really okay with just spending a few hours to check the water parks out but do not want it to turn into a HUGE meltdown for children or myself ( I'm alobne with them)... Thoughts, tips, ideas etc

I'm afraid I can't really help as we have never been able to visit the water parks due to DS14 who is ASD. I would love for the other two kids to go and next trip I think I'll take them and DH can take DS14 to play golf. My suggestion would be to see if you can look at pictures or park maps on the web and show them to your son to see if he can find a couple of areas around the pool that he would like to sit. The two of you would just be stationed there and you would have to roam to watch the 12 yr and keep an eye on the 13 yr old. But as we all know, if your Asperger's child does not like the plan, you will probably have some problems so get him involved.

We are thinking of checking out one of the waterparks this trip... BUT, my 13 yr old son with Asperger's is suddenly HUGE ( 5'10" and about 150 lbs).. He doesnt like any of the large slides, crowded lines or harsh wave pool.. Our only experience with waterparks so far has been Water Country USA in Williamsburg. This has been somewhat sucessful but the last time we went was 2 yrs ago and he was still able to play in the kiddie water park etc.. His favorite there was the lazy river.. . On the other hand, I have a daredevil ADHD 12 yr old who is on the small side and can be dangerously impulsive at times so I do not like him out of my sight... ( I will not do big slides either) We have some hoppers w/ wps included so I am really okay with just spending a few hours to check the water parks out but do not want it to turn into a HUGE meltdown for children or myself ( I'm alobne with them)... Thoughts, tips, ideas etc

We get there right at opening time as it is less crowded then. We pick a spot right in front of the wave pool. The wave pool is my ASD son's favorite.

Like we have to do in all the parks, he is only good for 1 to 2 hours tops until he wants to get back to the hotel. But he really does enjoy those 2 hours, I just wish we did not have to pay full price to only enjoy a park for 2 hours, but that is another topic. It is still worth it to us!

Since the waterparks are now offering the Cabana's, we will have to check that out. It may be a good place for my son to get away from the crowds and re-group alone. Thus, we may get to stay a bit longer for my other son who enjoys all the waterslides!

Also, I would never take my 2 son's without another adult, if possible. If you
need to make a quick exit, 1 adult can still stay with the other son. I also
suggest driving a car to the Water Parks. If you have ever had a meltdown, and a bus that did not arrive for 30 minutes, you'd understand. The wait time for the buses there is always soooo long! We now always make sure we have a rental car there!

I hope you have a great visit there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter