Water Parks in the winter - too cold?

Do you do water parks in the winter ?

• for sure

• maybe

• never brrrrr

Results are only viewable after voting.

momandseandodisney

DIS Veteran
Going for 8 nights starting Jan 31st, I am wondering if people do water parks in the winter is it too cold?

Thoughts please . . .

I would never do a waterpark from November- March, but I am from the south. Once it is less than 80, it is too cold to swim.

The waterparks are open all year round, so they must have enough guests that go to make it worth their while. The water is heated, so brave people won't freeze.

62-72 degrees is awesome for park hopping. It's not so great for going from slide to slide out of the water with a cool breeze hitting a wet body.

We went on your dates in 2005 and it was in the 60's. Some people from Canada found it quite balmy since it was -30F back home for them. I saw them in the pools at POP.

The problem in the winter is even if it gets to 78 degrees, the sun is at a very low angle. It just never feels that warm and it only stays warm for a couple hours. We went to Aquatica and DC last November and it wasn't very comfortable for us.

We did a waterpark the week before Christmas once. We happened to have a day where it got up in the 70s and was sunny so it was doable. The water felt warm and you really didn't want to get out and run up to any of the slides as the air felt chilly.

I was in WDW in mid-January this year and it was only partly sunny one day of our trip, the rest of the time it was threatening rain. We did put on our suits and try to get some sun by our resort pool, but there was no way we would have gotten in the water, it wasn't nearly warm enough.

I would not plan on buying tickets beforehand for it. If you get a really nice day during your trip, then go, but don't make it a solid plan before you go.

ya maybe we will just stick to the pools at the resort - they are open too then yes?

They normally choose a winter month to do any maintenance, refurbishment, etc. They can be closed for weeks at a time for this. I would check with the resort before the trip to see if the feature pool is scheduled for anything like this. But if the resort pool is open, the water is heated, and it's nice to not have to get out so often as at a water park.

It does not happen often but it can get below freezing in Orlando. I went to DTD on XMAS night back in the 80s and it was freezing. It was the night that killed all of the citrus groves around Orlando. :sad1:

At the end of our last AKV trip a tropical depression came assure and rained for a couple of days. My youngest and I spent most of two days in the pool and we were often the only people in the pool area. There was no lightning just rain and we would go down the slide a few times then hop in the hot tub to warm up and repeat. Great Fun! :thumbsup2:cool1:

But it was not THAT cold even though the lifeguards were bundled up in long pants and hooded jackets. They were cold. :lmao: I would guess the temp was in the 60-70. I would not go swimming at home with those air temperatures but the hot tub made swimming possible. I doubt we would go to a water park with those air temperatures.

Later,
Dan

Couple of years ago, it was 24 degrees for 4 days. We did NOT go to the waterparks. (Barely survived the theme parks!) We have done water parks in the winter, but do not find them as pleasant as the hotter months. As someone from the south mentioned, we swim in the heat of the summer. Being from Kansas, unless it is in the 90s doesn't seem right.:rotfl:

I would have answered "other" if there was such a choice.

I work at the Disney Water Parks, although due to disabilities and other reasons I do not "do" water parks.

We keep the water in all the slides and pools around 80F (27C) except for Shark Reef which does not have heaters. What you want is a day that will be bright and sunny and preferably not windy.

If you go on a day that is heavily overcast you will not be able to take advantage of any radiant heating (from the sun) or on a windy day (especially with a dry wind from the North) you will get hit by wind chill.

But a day with the highs in the mid-50s or above which is sunny and calm most people (at least from Northern climates) should be comfortable.

We have been twice in January and done the waterparks both times. It's too cool for me, but my boys and husband were in heaven. Waits are minimal. Plus you have a lifeguard for each kid. Lol. The water is heated so that helps immensely. Enjoy it. I sat and read a book in a sunny spot and let them play.

Totally depends on the weather. We went in Jan 2012 and brought mostly lightweight long sleeves etc...
yeah... it was 89 - 91 degrees the whole week. I had to make a walmart run for shorts and tshirts.
It was definitely cool in the evenings, but 90 is hot. I don't care who you are. I would have really enjoyed a waterpark day that week for sure!

On the flip side, mother nature doesn't care what our plans are. It could be in the 60's.

Going for 8 nights starting Jan 31st, I am wondering if people do water parks in the winter is it too cold?

Thoughts please . . .

We usually go to WDW around that time of year and it seems as if Typhoon Lagoon is always closed for refurbishment. So count on Blizzard Beach being your only choice. The odds are that you are not going to get weather in the 80's, although it has been known to happen. You are more likely to get weather in the 70's. If the wind is blowing it can be very cold on top of those slides.

I would wait until the very last minute to add the waterpark option if possible, so you can check the weather forecasts. :) When were were there on that date in 2009 it was in the 30's at night and maybe reached the 60's during the day. When we were there this past February, we had weather in the mid 70's. We went swimming at the resort, but it was a little chilly getting out of the water.

We went in December 2010 and it was so cold we could hardly stand to stay outside sometimes let alone get in the water. Steam was coming off the pool at our resort. But that was the year they had a record cold spell. I mean it was bone chilling wind blowing cold :rotfl: We had long under wear, extra shirts, winter coats, gloves and hats and were still cold. We are from Ohio and I think the weather in Florida was no different then Ohio's at that time.
You just never know what the weather will be it could be in the 70's :confused3

We went the first two weeks of January this year and it was 80 almost the whole time. (We are from New England so that's more than warm enough for us to swim.) We used the hotel pools several times. You never know.

It just really depends on the weather and where you're from and used to. We went Jan 2013 and it was fine when you were in the water but a little chilly out. But we had a great time and the place was so empty the day we went.

We are arriving on the. 31st Jan as well. BB is closed for the duration of our stay but TL is open and being from chilly England I'm sure we will get at least 1 day in 14 when it is warm enough :-)

Hey Cheshire we will be at the water parks next week starting Saturday (26th) and was wondering if the water heaters are always on. It will be sunny and high around 80 so we will be okay as long as the water isn't 65 degrees. We prepurchased the WP and not the Hoppers option so we are basically stuck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter