Water park?

Typhoon Lagoon will be open as it has H2O Glow After Hours parties scheduled through Sep 2.

Only 1 water park has been open at a time since 2019 and no information has been announced of Blizzard Beach reopening so I would anticipate only Typhoon Lagoon being open.

There is a shortage of lifeguards available in many locations so it is not anticipated at this time that Disney can operate more than one WP at a time. It could change but only 1 wp being open at a time has been Disney's history for almost 4 years.

Does anyone happen to know approximately how far out historically the announcement for the switch from BB to TL and vice versa occur? I'm assuming it will be BB for Nov/Dec.

Best to check the schedule online it changes based on maintance etc ( should all be open in Aug)
Best to check the schedule online it changes based on maintance etc ( should all be open in Aug)

Not sure if you’re saying both water parks should be open by August? This is most likely not correct as Disney is unable (as are many other places to staff enough life guards to operate both water parks. There has been a shortage of life guards since the pandemic.

Since the fall of 2019 Disney has only operated one water park at a time and the vast majority if that time it has been Typhoon Lagoon. There has been zero indication that Disney plans to operate 2 water parks at the same time any time in the near future.

Not sure if you’re saying both water parks should be open by August? This is most likely not correct as Disney is unable (as are many other places to staff enough life guards to operate both water parks. There has been a shortage of life guards since the pandemic.

Since the fall of 2019 Disney has only operated one water park at a time and the vast majority if that time it has been Typhoon Lagoon. There has been zero indication that Disney plans to operate 2 water parks at the same time any time in the near future.

Correct. There aren't enough lifeguards. What they need to do is direct more of these Cps and international Cps into lifeguarding because there are other places like merchandise where they have hired too many CPS and ICPs and there are now part timers who get scheduled zero hours per week. So it's kind of ridiculous that they're overstaffed in some areas and understaffed in another one.

Correct. There aren't enough lifeguards. What they need to do is direct more of these Cps and international Cps into lifeguarding because there are other places like merchandise where they have hired too many CPS and ICPs and there are now part timers who get scheduled zero hours per week. So it's kind of ridiculous that they're overstaffed in some areas and understaffed in another one.
Becoming a qualified lifeguard is a highly skilled position that not all can do. The amount of physical strength and endurance required to pass a lifeguard test for the swimming portion alone is not something many can do. It's not a weekend course to become qualified but more so a lot of endurance training plus gaining the specialized skills required to literally save lives. Disney takes their life guard training extremely seriously (thankfully!) so it's not a quick flip to change a CM in to a life guard CM.

I have been at pools where there is not a person in the pool and I'm the only one on the deck (crazy Canadian catching some rays in January) and the guards never take their eyes off the water and continuously sweep their gaze across the pool as if the pool was full of guests! In this video a couple of guests hopped into the pool part way through filming but originally we were the only ones even in the pool enclosure.

Last edited:
Becoming a qualified lifeguard is a highly skilled position that not all can do. The amount of physical strength and endurance required to pass a lifeguard test for the swimming portion alone is not something many can do. It's not a weekend course to become qualified but more so a lot of endurance training plus gaining the specialized skills required to literally save lives. Disney takes their life guard training extremely seriously (thankfully!) so it's not a quick flip to change a CM in to a life guard CM.

I have been at pools where there is not a person in the pool and I'm the only one on the deck (crazy Canadian catching some rays in January) and the guards never take their eyes off the water and continuously sweep their gaze across the pool as if the pool was full of guests! In this video a couple of guests hopped into the pool part way through filming but originally we were the only ones even in the pool enclosure.

I'm not saying that Disney does not take it seriously. If Disney focused on CPS and ICPS who are strong swimmers who have the ability to lifeguard, that would make sense to try to recruit more vs recruiting in areas where they don't actually need more people. Because they're not finding enough people locally. They should focus on CPs. I really think this might be the only way they're going to get back to the place where they can open up both waterparks.

If Disney wanted to find the lifeguards, they could. They are in a much better position to pay a few extra bucks than the thousands of public pools around the state and country. The simple fact is they are getting by with the one water park at a time strategy and they are choosing to continue in that manner.

Not sure where you got your info, but it is NOT difficult to pass the Disney lifeguard test or class. It's very easy for anyone who is even a casual lap swimmer.

They cast CP into lifeguard roles ALL the time who have had no prior experience. They must pass the CPR and first aid class and a pretty simple swim test.

Deep water lifeguards have to:

-Swim 150m continuously (that's 6 lengths of a 25m pool).

-Tread water without their hands for 2 minutes

-Dive into 8 feet of water and retrieve a 10lb brick.

Shallow water lifeguards have to:

-Swim 50 yards continuously (2 lengths of the pool)

-Jump into 5 feet of water and retrieve a 10lb brick. No treading water required.

Most people who swam on a recreational or school swim team, at any point in their lives, can do this easily. I am almost 45 and could pass this test without trying. I swam on the high school swim team and swim laps for exercise. It's not hard. But being a lifeguard is a tough job that requires a lot of stamina to be outdoors in the heat and constantly paying attention.

The problem Disney is having with lifeguards is that they are not offering a high enough salary, end of story. There are no lifeguard shortages. There is a shortage of young people willing to do the job for the pay Disney is offering. It's a job that comes with a lot of personal risks (skin cancer, injury or death while attempting a rescue, etc) and IMO, Disney doesn't compensate accordingly.

Newport Beach, CA lifeguards get paid close to $100,000 a year. No shortage there. They have hundreds of people competing for the few open slots every year.

Not sure where you got your info, but it is NOT difficult to pass the Disney lifeguard test or class. It's very easy for anyone who is even a casual lap swimmer.

They cast CP into lifeguard roles ALL the time who have had no prior experience. They must pass the CPR and first aid class and a pretty simple swim test.

-Jump into 5 feet of water and retrieve a 10lb brick. No treading water required.

Most people who swam on a recreational or school swim team, at any point in their lives, can do this easily. I am almost 45 and could pass this test without trying. I swam on the high school swim team and swim laps for exercise. It's not hard. But being a lifeguard is a tough job that requires a lot of stamina to be outdoors in the heat and constantly paying attention.

The problem Disney is having with lifeguards is that they are not offering a high enough salary, end of story. There are no lifeguard shortages. There is a shortage of young people willing to do the job for the pay Disney is offering. It's a job that comes with a lot of personal risks (skin cancer, injury or death while attempting a rescue, etc) and IMO, Disney doesn't compensate accordingly.

Newport Beach, CA lifeguards get paid close to $100,000 a year. No shortage there. They have hundreds of people competing for the few open slots every year.
You're correct. My information was based on local requirements for lifeguards which appear to be far more stringent than Disney.

do you think they would inevitably close 1 of these WPs? they've not operated both in a long while and I could easily see them using the BB land to extend hollywood studios

If Disney wanted to find the lifeguards, they could. They are in a much better position to pay a few extra bucks than the thousands of public pools around the state and country. The simple fact is they are getting by with the one water park at a time strategy and they are choosing to continue in that manner.
This is what I thought, too. TBH I can't blame them - we went to TL a few weeks ago, and it wasn't all that crowded. Doesn't seem too urgent to spend all the money to have a second water park open.

Maybe it would be cool if they could alternate days? E.g. TL open M, W, F, and BB open Tu, Th, Sat, Sun. That would save on the labor but of course maintenance costs would be higher than the status quo.

This is what I thought, too. TBH I can't blame them - we went to TL a few weeks ago, and it wasn't all that crowded. Doesn't seem too urgent to spend all the money to have a second water park open.

Maybe it would be cool if they could alternate days? E.g. TL open M, W, F, and BB open Tu, Th, Sat, Sun. That would save on the labor but of course maintenance costs would be higher than the status quo.
We went on Sunday and it was packed. We got there at 10:10 am right after they opened and had to park at the back of the first parking lot. The lazy river was completely full and no one could get tubes. We went this same time last year and it wasn’t nearly as busy. Maybe we just got unlucky this time

All of this. I didn't want to be the one to go down this rabbit hole, but since you started it... yes, I agree. It is not difficult at all to become a lifeguard for Disney. I also know of people who had ZERO experience lifeguarding and they now work at Disney as a lifeguard. I also know someone who used to work a lifeguard and said it was terrible and not worth the whopping 25 cent premium over working in a store, so they transferred to merchandise. The pay isn't great for what they endure and Disney has cut hours (a whole other subject) so who wants to go get a job at a stressful place and not get enough hours, when they could work somewhere else and actually pay their bills. If Disney wanted to open both waterparks, they know exactly how to make it happen. And I just don't see both parks being opened in 2023 at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter