• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Watch Your Wallet…Chapek is Coming For it with His Surgical Knife

Tokyo Disney tickets were actually already less expensive anyway. It s absolutley AMAZING what they do over there - charge less and provide more! The only barrier for fans that don't live in Japan is getting there, but honestly, with the way costs are going up here, you might be able to factor in that overseas plane ticket and come out pretty close. And for anyone who has even thought about going over to the Tokyo parks - DO IT! It will be well worth it.
With every change that is made to WDW and DL, I feel some relief knowing that TDL isn't owned by the Walt Disney Company. I have heard they have their own set of issues (growing pains with paid Fastpass, no nighttime entertainment at Disneysea, etc.) but I'll take that over what's going on domestically. Plus they have that expansion opening soon that looks AWESOME!

However I still love the US parks and wish they would go back to how they were before. I'm a pretty big Disney fan and even I can't excuse the nickle and diming happening right now. I would definitely be going less often if I didn't have an AP like I said before. I know it's hypocritical to complain when I still choose to go but with some of these decisions I need to vent a little.

I have no problem affording WDW even if they continue to raise the prices. But with that said, I am done with the parks and have been for some time. I have to feel that it is worth it for me to pay a premium to experience what is being offered. Don't blow smoke up my back end and call it pixie dust and magic like Chapek and Disney have been doing lately. With all the changes to the park experience and the cutbacks, I don't see myself going again. As I said, I don't mind paying if I feel It's worth my expense. At this time I still enjoy DCL, but I'm beginning to see the Chapek, Disney-led influence on DCL as well, Palo is just an example IMO. I was going to do a DCL trip in March but decided to go with Regent Seven Seas instead. A premium indeed, but from what I have read, well worth it.

That's where I'm at too. Our upcoming trip, which I only agreed to because it is a Really. Big. Deal. to my middle child (she's been wanting Food & Wine Festival for her 21st birthday since she was about 13), will be our most expensive ever. And that's saying something, when you figure we're staying at Pop and only doing four park days. It'll cost more than our 2018 stay of the same length at the Poly, and just as much as our 12-day stay at Wilderness Lodge in '08. And we're not getting more for it. We'll actually be doing fewer nice meals because those past trips were with the deluxe dining plan, we're likely to get on far fewer rides with no FP, and we're getting nickeled and dimed to death on parking and airport transportation and all the little things that didn't used to cost extra.

I could afford to go back multiple times a year like I used to, but I don't feel like the product is worth that kind of spend any more. I'm glad the "glory days" of WDW, at least those in relatively recent memory, coincided with my kids being young, because we had some great times. But now my travel money is better spent elsewhere.

One thing I miss at Disney is being able to sit in the front of the monorail for free. I hate that the monorail accident took that nice thing away. If it still happened today, I can only imagine what Disney would charge for it. I’m honestly surprised they haven’t charged for individual monorail rides like a subway system yet.

One thing I miss at Disney is being able to sit in the front of the monorail for free. I hate that the monorail accident took that nice thing away. If it still happened today, I can only imagine what Disney would charge for it. I’m honestly surprised they haven’t charged for individual monorail rides like a subway system yet.
Tokyo Disney charges for the monorail but that's due to local laws concerning transportation rather than a nickle and diming thing. A plus ride for the monorail costing money is that they're WAY nicer than the ones in Florida and don't have the sweat smell.

Growing up we did not visit Disney World (or Disneyland) and I didn't know any one who did. There is no way my family could have traveled that far. In my mind, unless you lived nearby, Disney has always been a luxury vacation. No children will be harmed by not going.

Cedar Point was close by, so that is where we went.
I agree except for 1 moment because when we were deciding what to do for our first family vacation, I thought there was no way to go to Disney until I looked it up. Bingo, about the same cost as going to the beach and we did 6 nights at Pop Century for under $2200.

I haven't been able to afford it since then as that has almost tripled since then.

Disney is an expensive luxury.

Tokyo Disney charges for the monorail but that's due to local laws concerning transportation rather than a nickle and diming thing. A plus ride for the monorail costing money is that they're WAY nicer than the ones in Florida and don't have the sweat smell.
Now your giving the top Disney executives ideas on how they can justify doing the same thing in WDW. :rotfl:

They also don't charge very much and the Monorail stops at the neighboring non-Disney hotels and the Ikspiari shopping area. It's a pittance to get tickets for it though. You are right that is is super-nice too!

And just for those who haven't been, here is the interior of one:

1660325796603.png

Yeah, I mean, come on!

According to Chapek demand means raise prices. Not sure it’s something he should have said out loud though.
See, the problem is, that's the definition of business, everywhere, all the time.

Business IS supply and demand.

If people keep paying higher prices and demand is high, that is what makes a successful business.

There's a lot of posts here saying things like, the prices are too high, but, "We HAVE to go on our 2 already scheduled trips", "These prices are ridiculous, so, we'll eat less table service next trip."

If demand remains high, I hate to tell you, but, prices are going up. If you think the experience has been degraded, here's a secret, demand says the experience is worth it.

We were able to ride with the crew once - I'm guessing in the mid 1990's with our young son. It was amazing!

We're done with WDW. We had two great stays in 2014 at BWI. Now we go to Universal and stay Club level with Express Pass included for about $330 per night. No day-to-day planning necessary.
Our last two theme park trips (10/2021 and last month) were to Universal. Club level at the premier hotels with express pass is amazing. Not having to plan a thing is awesome too. Our kids are older and are into Harry Potter and coasters and we got annual passes for cheap so it was a no-brainer. Hoping to get back to Disney before the 50th ends, but doubtful it will happen.

And when they get to $500 per day park tickets and look around and wonder why there are only 100 people in the park . . . .
I suspect when the ticket prices hit $500 per day the parks will still be crowded. People will complain. But people will fill the parks.

See, the problem is, that's the definition of business, everywhere, all the time.

Business IS supply and demand.

If people keep paying higher prices and demand is high, that is what makes a successful business.

There's a lot of posts here saying things like, the prices are too high, but, "We HAVE to go on our 2 already scheduled trips", "These prices are ridiculous, so, we'll eat less table service next trip."

If demand remains high, I hate to tell you, but, prices are going up. If you think the experience has been degraded, here's a secret, demand says the experience is worth it.

Absolutely correct, however a successful business also needs to reinvest in itself and keep the customer service levels commensurate with expectations, else they will eventually lose that business. That's where I see some cracks right now. They are reinvesting some, but there are areas where they could absolutely do more. Plus if demand is to remain this high, they've gotta have the bandwidth to handle it - shows, street performers, etc. It's inexcusable that HS has no Nighttime Spectacular - either fireworks or Fantasmic! F! just eats people every night - it is sorely needed, esepcially in a park that is straining the few attractions it has.

Last edited:
Absolutely correct, however a successful business also needs to reinvest in itself and keep the customer service levels commensurate with expectations, else they will eventually lose that business. That's where I see some cracks right now. They are reinvesting some, but there are areas where they could absolutely do more. Plus if demad is to remain this high, they've gotta have the bandwidth to handle it - shows, street performers, etc. It's inexcusable that HS has no Nighttime Spectacular - either fireworks or Fantasmic! F! just eats people every night - it is sorely needed, esepcially in a park that is straining the few attractions it has.
It's funny how some people see cracks and others see the opposite.

My last trip last June I saw a couple rides I had never seen before.

I found a completely refurbished room at Coronado Springs with tons of upgrades and looked brand new.

I rode a completely new transportation system, the Skyliner, that wasn't operating on my previous trip.

I fully realize there are a few things missing for some people. I would contend that no matter how much Disney spends, how much they add, how much they take away, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I think it's gotten to the point, maybe, where people expect too much. When Disney listens to it's customers and it appears the removal of a 20 year old billboard is far more important than the removal of a parade or nighttime show, well, if everything is a disaster, maybe nothing really is a disaster.

If prices keep going up and people keep going, many of the 'deteriorating Disney' arguments are a tad moot.

It's funny how some people see cracks and others see the opposite.

My last trip last June I saw a couple rides I had never seen before.

I found a completely refurbished room at Coronado Springs with tons of upgrades and looked brand new.

I rode a completely new transportation system, the Skyliner, that wasn't operating on my previous trip.

I fully realize there are a few things missing for some people. I would contend that no matter how much Disney spends, how much they add, how much they take away, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I think it's gotten to the point, maybe, where people expect too much. When Disney listens to it's customers and it appears the removal of a 20 year old billboard is far more important than the removal of a parade or nighttime show, well, if everything is a disaster, maybe nothing really is a disaster.

If prices keep going up and people keep going, many of the 'deteriorating Disney' arguments are a tad moot.

Well, I generally agree with you that the experience is still really good - but are they keeping pace with the prices? The new rides are great, but there are definitely some maintenance issue with older rides. Mostly though it's staffing - they need to just understand that more staff will improve guest experience. They are wanting to get by with the absolutely minimum in that regard. It's not just performers either, but any staff. They need to run at full capacity if they are going to seell at full capacity - saving money on a few CMs because they can run just one half of Big Thunder is something that absolutely erodes the guest experience.

Hey, that billboard was no big deal to me. It was dated and unnecessary. Nighttime parades though need to come back.

Last edited:
It's boils down to debt. As long as people are willing to take on debt to go on vacation, prices will continue to rise. The middle class should be renamed the debt class.

They also don't charge very much and the Monorail stops at the neighboring non-Disney hotels and the Ikspiari shopping area. It's a pittance to get tickets for it though. You are right that is is super-nice too!

And just for those who haven't been, here is the interior of one:

View attachment 693108

Yeah, I mean, come on!
Yup, I remember it being a nightmare to buy tickets for the monorail around rope drop. Probably one of the only bad parts of the trip if I'm being honest (minus the 40-ish minute wait in line for lunch at a quick service).

Knowing how Bob Chapek operates, he would begin to charge people for the monorail but it stays exactly the same. Sweat + urine smell and all LOL /joking by the way

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter