Watch the early showing of MK fireworks on NYE from TTC?

rachel333

Earning My Ears
Hi! I'm new to DISboards. I'm wondering if you can tell me about your experience watching the early Magic Kingdom fireworks (i.e. I believe it was at 6:30PM in 2017) on December 31st from the Transportation and Ticket Center. If you didn't stay at a monorail resort, how did you get there and how bad was the traffic before/after the fireworks? I will be checking in at All-Star Sports on 12/31 at approximately 4:00PM and would possibly begin my commute by bus+monorail to TTC shortly thereafter. On a different note, do you have any other advice for places to view the early MK fireworks show for free (i.e. without an ADR) on NYE? Your thoughts are so appreciated!

do you have any other advice for places to view the early MK fireworks for free (i.e. without an ADR) on NYE? Your thoughts are so appreciated!

The Beach at the Polynesian Resort offers a great view
of the MK Fireworks spectaculars.
However, the area with an MK view is now much smaller than it used to be
due to the recent construction of the new DVC on-the-water rooms.

On NYE, the beach at the Poly will likely be very busy.

They do "pipe in" the audio of the shows, but most nights it is nearly inaudible on the Poly beach.

Poly-Beach-Fwx_011517_zpsbjfzg4af.jpg

Here's a photo I took from the Poly Beach-

MK Fireworks (MVMCP Christmas Finale)
Poly-Beach-Firewx-Cln.jpg

-----------------------------

More Viewing Spots-

You can see the MK fireworks shows very well from the TTC
(and they pipe-in clear, crisp audio from the show.)
Note: you are not allowed to stand directly in the actual Ferry loading area.

TTC-Fwx-CU_011517_zpskraqffi4.jpg

You can see the MK fireworks from the boat-dock and an outside
observation deck near Narcoossee's restaurant at the Grand Floridian.
There is rumored to be an upcoming paid "Wishes Dessert Party" that will be held on that boat dock.
The Narcoossee's Deck shown is now reserved only for guests of the restaurant.

Good viewing from the Gasparilla Grill Patio overlooking the Marina.
The sound of the show is piped into these areas too.

GF-FW-Narcoo-BE_072708.jpg

----------------------------
At the Contemporary, there is viewing on an outdoor
observation area on the 4th floor.
The California Grill observation areas are reserved for patrons that day of the Grill or Bar.
(The audio of the fireworks show is also piped in to these locations.)

MK-CR-BE-Deck-S_090308.gif

MK-CR-Sat-Fwx-Deck_112312.gif

(Fireworks shown above are simulated.)

At Wilderness Lodge, the "secret place" to watch the MK fireworks is from the northern area of the Cast Member (CM) Parking Lot.

WL-N_CM-Lot_091809.gif

At the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds Marina (angle shown on the map below,) some of the view (especially of the "Fantasyland" pyro)
is blocked by the now unused Discovery Island in Bay Lake and by the high-rise buildings of the Contemporary Resort.
But, the view from the Ft. Wilderness' sand beach (farther north) is more open.
Still the tree-level can block the views of the lower-firing pyro.

Here are the angles of the views in the Bay Lake area.

MK-Bay-Fwx-Views_012913_zps8f10ed57.jpg

Below are the angles of the views in the Seven Seas Lagoon area.

MK-7Seas-Resorts-Fwx_012913_zps84390ca0.jpg

----------------------------------

As for viewing the MK fireworks from INSIDE the dining area of restaurants (you need ADRs, and most are usually busy during the shows)...
you can see (and hear) them at California Grill at Contemporary,
'Ohana at the Poly, at Trader Sam's and Trader Sam's outdoor patio at the Poly, Narcoossee's at the Grand Floridian,
and (if you have access there) the Top of the World at Bay Lake Tower.

Hi! I'm new to DISboards. I'm wondering if you can tell me about your experience watching the early Magic Kingdom fireworks (i.e. I believe it was at 6:30PM in 2017) on December 31st from the Transportation and Ticket Center. If you didn't stay at a monorail resort, how did you get there and how bad was the traffic before/after the fireworks? I will be checking in at All-Star Sports on 12/31 at approximately 4:00PM and would possibly begin my commute by bus+monorail to TTC shortly thereafter.

The most direct route using Disney transportation would be bus to MK, Express Monorail to TTC.
Fastest route would be hiring a Cab/Uber/Lyft directly to TTC.

Getting back to your resort using Disney transportation would be Express Monorail to MK, bus to your resort.

It will likely be far busier/more difficult to get back to your resort AFTER the fireworks,
as thousands of other guests will be trying to do the same thing.

The Beach at the Polynesian Resort offers a great view
of the MK Fireworks spectaculars.
However, the area with an MK view is now much smaller than it used to be
due to the recent construction of the new DVC on-the-water rooms.

On NYE, the beach at the Poly will likely be very busy.

They do "pipe in" the audio of the shows, but most nights it is nearly inaudible on the Poly beach.

Poly-Beach-Fwx_011517_zpsbjfzg4af.jpg

Here's a photo I took from the Poly Beach-

MK Fireworks (MVMCP Christmas Finale)
Poly-Beach-Firewx-Cln.jpg

-----------------------------

More Viewing Spots-

You can see the MK fireworks shows very well from the TTC
(and they pipe-in clear, crisp audio from the show.)
Note: you are not allowed to stand directly in the actual Ferry loading area.

TTC-Fwx-CU_011517_zpskraqffi4.jpg

You can see the MK fireworks from the boat-dock and an outside
observation deck near Narcoossee's restaurant at the Grand Floridian.
There is rumored to be an upcoming paid "Wishes Dessert Party" that will be held on that boat dock.
The Narcoossee's Deck shown is now reserved only for guests of the restaurant.

Good viewing from the Gasparilla Grill Patio overlooking the Marina.
The sound of the show is piped into these areas too.

GF-FW-Narcoo-BE_072708.jpg

At the Contemporary, there is viewing on an outdoor
observation area on the 4th floor.
The California Grill observation areas are reserved for patrons that day of the Grill or Bar.
(The audio of the fireworks show is also piped in to these locations.)

MK-CR-BE-Deck-S_090308.gif

MK-CR-Sat-Fwx-Deck_112312.gif

(Fireworks shown above are simulated.)

At Wilderness Lodge, the "secret place" to watch the MK fireworks is from the northern area of the Cast Member (CM) Parking Lot.

WL-N_CM-Lot_091809.gif

At the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds Marina (angle shown on the map below,) some of the view (especially of the "Fantasyland" pyro)
is blocked by the now unused Discovery Island in Bay Lake and by the high-rise buildings of the Contemporary Resort.
But, the view from the Ft. Wilderness' sand beach (farther north) is more open.
Still the tree-level can block the views of the lower-firing pyro.

Here are the angles of the views in the Bay Lake area.

MK-Bay-Fwx-Views_012913_zps8f10ed57.jpg

Below are the angles of the views in the Seven Seas Lagoon area.

MK-7Seas-Resorts-Fwx_012913_zps84390ca0.jpg

----------------------------------

As for viewing the MK fireworks from INSIDE the dining area of restaurants (you need ADRs, and most are usually busy during the shows)...
you can see (and hear) them at California Grill at Contemporary,
'Ohana at the Poly, at Trader Sam's and Trader Sam's outdoor patio at the Poly, Narcoossee's at the Grand Floridian,
and (if you have access there) the Top of the World at Bay Lake Tower.

Hi Robo! Thank you so much for your response!!! I have seen many of your responses to others' questions and I'm always amazed by the detail you provide and the beautiful maps that supplement your posts.

I'm very, very excited by your tip about Wilderness Lodge. This may be my new main plan.

Also, I've previously read that the Polynesian beach is reserved for resort guests and those with ADRs on NYE. I think that only the TTC is accessible to the general public on NYE. Perhaps I'm wrong, though. Have you heard or experienced otherwise?

Thanks again for your response!

Hi Robo! Thank you so much for your response!!! I have seen many of your responses to others' questions and I'm always amazed by the detail you provide and the beautiful maps that supplement your posts.

I'm very, very excited by your tip about Wilderness Lodge. This may be my new main plan.

Also, I've previously read that the Polynesian beach is reserved for resort guests and those with ADRs on NYE. I think that only the TTC is accessible to the general public on NYE. Perhaps I'm wrong, though. Have you heard or experienced otherwise?

Thanks again for your response!

Every year (for many, many, many years) for Christmas, New Years, July 3rd & 4th...
there is the "announcement" that the Poly Beach will be off limits to non-guests.
-It has never come to fruition.

Note:
There is NO SOUND at the Wilderness Lodge.
You WANT sound.

Every year (for many, many years) for Christmas, New Years, July 3rd & 4th...
there is the "announcement" that the Poly Beach will be off limits to non-guests.

It has never come to fruition.

That is so interesting! I didn't know that. Thank you so much!

We stayed at Poly for NYE this year. The main beach area (the “prime” viewing location between the boat dock and the first bungalow) was reserved on 12/31 for Poly resort and ADR guests... with quite active enforcement. There was also a smaller roped off section for Poly Club Level guest viewing next to this area.

Some pics:

IMG_2528.jpg

Here’s a daytime view of the area. Note the metal fences - it’s that beach area that is the reserved portion for Poly and ADR guests.
IMG_2541.jpg

As far as I witnessed, other parts of the Poly grounds (Sunset Pointe, the beach between Poly and GF, etc) were not reserved.

Also OP, as to your traffic question... and please forgive the hyperbole here... but I witnessed traffic on 12/31 that I had no idea was even possible at WDW. Depending on where you are going, getting anywhere via car or Disney bus can be a challenge.

We left Epcot at 2pm (via monorail). At the time, traffic on World Drive heading to MK was backed up well past Epcot Center Drive (and possibly much further, I couldn’t see the end of the cars from the monorail vantage point).

I’m assuming at some point in the afternoon/evening that traffic starts to calm down, but I’m not sure what things will be like at 4pm. I would over-allocate your time expectations just in case you run into trouble - as generally speaking the buses are going to be in a lot of the same traffic.

We stayed at Poly for NYE this year. The main beach area (the “prime” viewing location the boat dock and the first bungalow) was reserved on 12/31 only for Poly resort and ADR guests... with quite active enforcement. There was also a smaller roped off section for Poly Club Level guest viewing next to this area.

Some pics:

View attachment 332121

Here’s a daytime view of the area. Note the metal fences - it’s that beach area that is the reserved portion.
View attachment 332123

As far as I witnessed, other parts of the Poly grounds (Sunset Pointe, the beach between Poly and GF, etc) were not reserved.

Thank you so much for the information and pictures! I really appreciate your help! Do you remember how busy the non-reserved areas that you mentioned were (i.e. Sunset Pointe, beach between Poly and GF)? Was it shoulder-to-shoulder? Thanks again!

Thank you so much for the information and pictures! I really appreciate your help! Do you remember how busy the non-reserved areas that you mentioned were (i.e. Sunset Pointe, beach between Poly and GF)? Was it shoulder-to-shoulder? Thanks again!

Unfortunately, I’m not really sure. We spent some time walking around the grounds that evening, but we weren’t in those areas around fireworks time so I don’t have quality experience as to the crowd level.

My general comment about the way things “felt” overall was that the 6:30 viewers were a somewhat late arriving crowd. Most folks are more focused on the 11:50 show.

One last comment, the way resorts handle nights like NYE can vary year to year. We were also at Poly 7/4 and how they handled the two nights was quite different. Point being, you can sometimes run into different situations on the ground than you read about on the DIS. Past performance with Disney doesn’t always indicate future results! :-)

Unfortunately, I’m not really sure. We spent some time walking around the grounds that evening, but we weren’t in those areas around fireworks time so I don’t have quality experience as to the crowd level.

My general comment about the way things “felt” overall was that the 6:30 viewers were a somewhat late arriving crowd. Most folks are more focused on the 11:50 show.

One last comment, the way resorts handle nights like NYE can vary year to year. We were also at Poly 7/4 and how they handled the two nights was quite different. Point being, you can sometimes run into different situations on the ground than you read about on the DIS. Past performance with Disney doesn’t always indicate future results! :-)

Thank you again for your amazing guidance. I truly appreciate your time and help! All the best to you!

Thank you again for your amazing guidance. I truly appreciate your time and help! All the best to you!

Have fun OP. Like I said, we had a great time around WDW for NYE. If you can make your way to the TTC, I'm a fan of that viewing location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter