Wasted aft balcony space on Fantasy/Dream?

mab2012

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
I've been looking at exterior photos of the Fantasy, and I'm puzzled by the layout at the aft corners of decks 5 and 6. It looks like there are balcony cabins to the rear (6688/6188 and 5688/5188) with adjacent oceanview cabins (eg. 6686, etc). Beyond that to the side there appears to be regular balcony cabins.

What happens to the balcony space in between the aft and side balcony cabins, in front of the oceanview rooms? Is it just wasted space? From the pictures I've seen it doesn't look like the balconies of the aft/side rooms extend in front of the oceanview rooms (and really, I wouldn't think the occupants of the oceanview rooms would be very happy if they did). But it seems a shame for all that deck space to go to waste, and I'm surprised that DCL would pass up on an opportunity to charge more for rooms! It looks like the balconies of the side cabins in particular could easily be extended without interfering with the view from the oceanview cabins. Is there something I'm missing?

We stayed in cabin 6184 on the Dream, it was a Veranda cabin. The cabin next to us (in the corner) was a very large handicapped accessible cabin.

We stayed in cabin 6184 on the Dream, it was a Veranda cabin. The cabin next to us (in the corner) was a very large handicapped accessible cabin.

Right, that would be 6186. But that's an oceanview only cabin; there's no access to the balcony. It's the balcony space in front of that cabin (and the others like it) that I'm wondering about.

I guess it really is just wasted deck space - I can't see any other likely explanation. Good to know though, for anyone thinking of booking one of those oceanview cabins or the cabins to either side.

Actually, looking at pictures of the balcony of 5188 it looks like it tapers off to basically nothing on the edge adjacent to 5186... so maybe there *isn't* any balcony space in front of those corner oceanviews at all? :confused3 That would make more sense. Can anyone confirm?

Not that it really matters, for some reason it's just caught my curiosity. Can't stand things that don't make sense!

But I agree, to me, as far as the passengers are concerned, it's wasted. Would have made for great corner wrap-around balconies like some of the other lines have. LOVE those rooms!

That's a great thread, but very, very long! I'd found the labelled aft photo posted in another thread (that's actually what raised the question for me), but couldn't find an explanation of that lower deck area anywhere, despite pretty extensive searching.

Thanks so much for the link and the explanation!

I just found this thread. We have 6686 (HA oceanview) and 6688 (veranda) next month. Any chance of being able to access the "veranda" space in front of 6686 via 6688's veranda?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter