Warning about bags being delivered to your room while you are not there

arielsleepingbeauty

I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.
HI,
we stayed at POP in August. We booked 2 rooms and requested connecting rooms.We know there is no guarantee on that My niece has special needs so it would be more convenient to have connecting rooms.
Upon arrival, the Cm said that there were no connecting rooms. My mom is very persistent and asked for them to look a litle harder. They ended up finding us connecting rooms. So we got all our room keys and went to the room and there was about 7 pieces of luggage and backpacks in the room. We assummed that bell service brought it up.It was in a corner and had not been touched. We called the front desk and they sent bell service to pick them up. It was an uneasy feeling to know that they could assign someone a room, move all the bags to the room and then reassign it to someone else. I mean we are good people and didn't touch the bags, but maybe someone else could have gone through our bags if it was us in that same situation.
In my defense, i did not think it was right to be in that room, but was outvoted by my mom and sister.

I guess the moral of the story is, make sure you check in before you go to the parks or they may give your assigned room to someone else.:scared1:

MY thought was what if they were using a dining plan and it was denied? They did say that they did not need the connecting room and put their bags into another room and transferred all the information to the new room. That would really be something if I came back and tried to get into my room and it would not let me. I didn't hear anything during the night.

I guess the moral of the story is, make sure you check in before you go to the parks or they may give your assigned room to someone else.:scared1:

:eek: Glad to know that! Would be scary if someone went searching through your things and took what they wanted. It would leave me feeling violated:sick:

:eek: Glad to know that! Would be scary if someone went searching through your things and took what they wanted. It would leave me feeling violated:sick:

I felt that I was doing something wrong just being in the room with their luggage.

We once came back from the parks (in the middle of our stay) and found that two bags had been delivered to our room while we were out. We called bell services and they were promptly picked up. I still wonder how long the owners of those bags waited...

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Most people who go to Disney are not the sort to steal from others suitcases and would never do anything that would ruin another family's vacation. :)

Mix ups do happen at all hotels. I've checked into a room (not at WDW) and settled in only to have another guest open the door with a key. I had the security bar hooked so it caught and the door didn't open, but the guy was just as surprised as I was.

In the OP's case I assume that the room had been assigned to another family, but was reassigned to the OP to accommodate the connecting room request. My guess is that the family that belonged to the bags never knew it was their room and were none the wiser when they did get to their room and found their bags there. It still does highlight the fact that there are security issues inherent in staying at hotels.

on my last solo trip I came back to my room one night and found someone elses' luggage in it. I thought "oh maybe I had been upgraded to the Poly." Wishful thinking, I just called and had them come pick up the luggage, no biggie.

It sounds like that another family had already been assigned to the room but they had not yet checked into it. When the bags were delivered the bellman (or bag delivery person) had put the bags into the room that the computer was showing for the other family so the bags would be waiting on the family when they returned from the parks (or where ever they went while waiting on their room).

However, since your mother "insisted" about the connecting rooms the front desk took that room away from the family who did not yet know their room number and instead gave their room to you.

It is a simple mix up that could have happened anywhere and frankly occurred because of your insistence to have connecting rooms which caused them to have to rearrange the room assignments after some bags had already been delivered. No biggie.

HI,
we stayed at POP in August. We booked 2 rooms and requested connecting rooms.We know there is no guarantee on that My niece has special needs so it would be more convenient to have connecting rooms.
Upon arrival, the Cm said that there were no connecting rooms. My mom is very persistent and asked for them to look a litle harder. They ended up finding us connecting rooms. So we got all our room keys and went to the room and there was about 7 pieces of luggage and backpacks in the room. We assummed that bell service brought it up.It was in a corner and had not been touched. We called the front desk and they sent bell service to pick them up. It was an uneasy feeling to know that they could assign someone a room, move all the bags to the room and then reassign it to someone else. I mean we are good people and didn't touch the bags, but maybe someone else could have gone through our bags if it was us in that same situation.
In my defense, i did not think it was right to be in that room, but was outvoted by my mom and sister.

It's probably because those rooms were assigned to someone else and their DME luggage had arrived and delivered to the room already... but because your mother was "persistent", they unassigned those rooms from someone else to give to you because she couldn't take no for an answer.

Moral of the story, don't be "that guy".

It's probably because those rooms were assigned to someone else and their DME luggage had arrived and delivered to the room already... but because your mother was "persistent", they unassigned those rooms from someone else to give to you because she couldn't take no for an answer.

Moral of the story, don't be "that guy".

I have to agree; those rooms had been assigned to someone else. Your mother wouldn't take no for an answer and the people who gotten connecting rooms, didn't.

Unfortunately, they were never aware they did get connecting rooms, because their luggage was removed before they got to their rooms.

I agree the moral of the story is check-in; as in the OTHER family. Had they done so, they would have kept their connecting rooms and the later family would have had to take what they were given.

I feel sad for the other family.:sad1:

Now granted, the OP's family probably made the request and stated specifically that they had a child with special needs (at least I hope they did) and the Resort would have put priority on their reservation for connectors. If the special needs mention was there, then the Resort should have put priority on them over someone who just stated that they were requesting connectors.

However, I would also not be surprised if there was no mention of special needs at all and just a request for connectors... I've personally seen it go both ways.

This same situation happened to me in July at a NON Disney hotel. I check into my room and found someone elses luggage and belongings. They made a mistake and assigned me a room that was already taken. Luckly for them, I am an honest person as there were keys and a few other personal items in the room.

This same situation happened to me in July at a NON Disney hotel. I check into my room and found someone elses luggage and belongings. They made a mistake and assigned me a room that was already taken. Luckly for them, I am an honest person as there were keys and a few other personal items in the room.

Yeah this does happen in many hotels all over the place.

I have been in the room when people have tried to come in who were assigned my room.
I have also tried to go into rooms where people were already in them.
Good reason to ALWAYS throw the security latch at a minimum when you are in the room.
Better yet lock the door so no one can come in.

I have also gone into rooms where people were obviously staying and even their laptop was on the desk.
I doubt those people ever knew I had been in the room.
I have heard even worse storries from others, some things you don't want to see.

These were all non Disney and all 3 and 4 star hotels.

I would not worry too much, if this happened to you and one of your bags was missing they would know who had gone into the room and it would not be hard to find them for questioning.

They did say that they did not need the connecting room and put their bags into another room and transferred all the information to the new room.
I don't think anyone who wanted connecting rooms was denied them in this case. My question is what if OP's family had not gone to the room but had gone straight to the parks and not returned until late - how long would the 'bags' family have waited for their luggage?
Either the bags were accidentally delivered to the wrong room and the bags family were waiting for them somewhere.
Or the bags family had arrived early and been told to come back later and while they were gone the room had been assigned to them, the bags delivered and then the check in cm saw that the room was still available when OP's family checked in w/ their special needs and switched the unsuspecting bags family to a new room. I've never checked in before official check in time - do they tell you your room number or do you not get it until after you return to the resort?
I knew a guy who insisted on putting little luggage locks on his bags when he traveled.
One time my mom arrived @ a destination, opened 'her' suitcase and found it full of a man's stuff, forget how she managed to locate the owner (think she had called the airline as had he,) who of course had her suitcase w/ him.

I've never stayed anywhere before where someone brought your bags to the room for you! We've always stayed at less expensive motels (not super cheap but like Days Inn, Baymont etc) and always driven our car, and just hauled our own bags into our room. And DH plans to do this at Disney too! I told him if we got there before the room was ready (staying at POR), we could leave the bags and they'd hang onto them til we checked in. He said "WHAT? No way, where would we leave them? Someone might go through them! Someone might steal them!" So, we'll just be hauling that luggage around til our room frees up, I guess! Don't plan on arriving til around 12 or 1 our first day anyway, hopefully the room is ready by then

It sounds like that another family had already been assigned to the room but they had not yet checked into it. When the bags were delivered the bellman (or bag delivery person) had put the bags into the room that the computer was showing for the other family so the bags would be waiting on the family when they returned from the parks (or where ever they went while waiting on their room).

However, since your mother "insisted" about the connecting rooms the front desk took that room away from the family who did not yet know their room number and instead gave their room to you.

It is a simple mix up that could have happened anywhere and frankly occurred because of your insistence to have connecting rooms which caused them to have to rearrange the room assignments after some bags had already been delivered. No biggie.

I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED. The quests probably were never in the room. Probably had ME and the bags were placed there while they were off in the parks.:woohoo:

I've never stayed anywhere before where someone brought your bags to the room for you! We've always stayed at less expensive motels (not super cheap but like Days Inn, Baymont etc) and always driven our car, and just hauled our own bags into our room. And DH plans to do this at Disney too! I told him if we got there before the room was ready (staying at POR), we could leave the bags and they'd hang onto them til we checked in. He said "WHAT? No way, where would we leave them? Someone might go through them! Someone might steal them!" So, we'll just be hauling that luggage around til our room frees up, I guess! Don't plan on arriving til around 12 or 1 our first day anyway, hopefully the room is ready by then

Hopefully you will get lucky and your room will be ready.
Do not count on it though, I would plan for between 2 and 3.

If he will not leave the bags maybe you should make him stay with the bags and you go off and enjoy yourself...

Hopefully you will get lucky and your room will be ready.
Do not count on it though, I would plan for between 2 and 3.

If he will not leave the bags maybe you should make him stay with the bags and you go off and enjoy yourself...

:laughing::laughing:
If it's not ready, we'll just leave the stuff in the car and leave our number so they can contact us when it's ready (I read that they will do that, hope that's correct!) then go to MK. Our first day is just a "bonus" day anyway, planning on hitting MK for a while to check it out and then let DS relax by the pool and recoup from 2 1/2 days of riding in a car!

:laughing::laughing:
If it's not ready, we'll just leave the stuff in the car and leave our number so they can contact us when it's ready (I read that they will do that, hope that's correct!) then go to MK. Our first day is just a "bonus" day anyway, planning on hitting MK for a while to check it out and then let DS relax by the pool and recoup from 2 1/2 days of riding in a car!

Yeah they can call. I think they can even text you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter