Want to buy but when and thru who?

barefootMom

Mouseketeer
I have been wanting to buy into DVC for a year or two but havent done it as it is not all that fiscally responsible right now (I say that and yet in 2 weeks I'll be spending a bunch of $$ to spend 8 nights at the WL-not the villas). My sister/brother in-law just purchased a resale at BCV and I now am jealous so fave a few questions I am hoping you will help with:

I understand that there is some promotion that ends on the 20th of Jan? If we are at Disney from 1/26 on, I assume that is too late to get in on the promo.?

Also, is there any benefit to actually going on the "tour" with DVC while we are there? Do they give incentives in person or is it just a waste of time while I am there (I have two little girls that I am not sure would be cooperative while listening to a "sales" talk) since I can get all that info. from you all on-line and over the phone?

Finally, I know my sister-in-law went thru resale because she really wanted Beach Club. Is it silly to go direct thru Disney instead of going resale if I don't think Saratoga Springs is where I will want to stay? I once saw a post here talking about the going resale vs going direct thru Disney and now I cannot find it. Can anyone explain pros/cons?

THANK YOU!!

I have been wanting to buy into DVC for a year or two but havent done it as it is not all that fiscally responsible right now (I say that and yet in 2 weeks I'll be spending a bunch of $$ to spend 8 nights at the WL-not the villas). My sister/brother in-law just purchased a resale at BCV and I now am jealous so fave a few questions I am hoping you will help with:

I understand that there is some promotion that ends on the 20th of Jan? If we are at Disney from 1/26 on, I assume that is too late to get in on the promo.?

Also, is there any benefit to actually going on the "tour" with DVC while we are there? Do they give incentives in person or is it just a waste of time while I am there (I have two little girls that I am not sure would be cooperative while listening to a "sales" talk) since I can get all that info. from you all on-line and over the phone?

Finally, I know my sister-in-law went thru resale because she really wanted Beach Club. Is it silly to go direct thru Disney instead of going resale if I don't think Saratoga Springs is where I will want to stay? I once saw a post here talking about the going resale vs going direct thru Disney and now I cannot find it. Can anyone explain pros/cons?

THANK YOU!!

First and foremost, yes the promotion ends on the 20th. IMHO unless you want to see the resort there is no difference in doing the tour verses just getting all the info from a guide.

We bought at SSR under the same promotion last year. We bought sight unseen. We knew we would like any resort so that was not an issue for us plus we liked having the extra 12 years SSR offers.

Another reason we went through Disney was to take advantage of their finaning which we couldn't do (as quickly and easily) as Disneys. Plus Disney doesn' report to credit agencies so that helps in your CTI ratio.

I sent you a pm with some more info and my guides name and number if you want more info.

Let me know if I can help with any more questions. Good luck!

The BC and BW through Disney are $95. per pt. Resellers for the BC are about the same price and BW is about $85-90.

What no one tells you and you dont see is the "hidden costs" from resellers for closing fees which range anywhere from $500-$1,000. This NEEDS to be added to the per pt. price to see what you are "really" paying.
As a 1st time buyer from Disney you will pay around $125. closing.

SSR is the current selling incentive resort and a good deal!! Sent you more info in a pm..:thumbsup2

I can tell you that we bought two contracts thru The Timeshare store, and the discounted prices (and by discounted, I mean around $10K less than buying a resale thru Disney) that we got the contacts for more than made up for the closings cost. All the closing cost were explained to us up front, and when signed on the dotted line with a smile on our face. Our agent, Jerry Sydow, made the transaction easy and seamless. (Jerry if you are reading this, would you come up to Atlanta and help us find a new house!!!!)

The possible saving in buying a resale is worth a call to The Timeshare Store IMHO.

DVC is made up of some of the best people on the face of the earth, and you will be very happy as a member of our little club, no matter how you join.

I've PMed you my DW's phone number if you would like to talk with her about this. She's the brains of the operation!! I just lift heavy objects.

Good Luck!!

We just purchased at SSR directly from DVC using the F&F incentive. Considering closing costs, the direct buy approach was lower cost and quicker to get points. However, for add-ons, I will probably go resale.

I first looked at buying two years, but was not really sold on it until I took the tour last May. Don't count SSR out. It is a scenic, quiet, spacious resort. I haven't stayed there yet, but I love already.

Is it silly to go direct thru Disney instead of going resale if I don't think Saratoga Springs is where I will want to stay? I once saw a post here talking about the going resale vs going direct thru Disney and now I cannot find it. Can anyone explain pros/cons?

I believe that thread is at this link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=778634&page=1&pp=15

I wouldn't say that it's "silly" going direct through Disney...there are a lot of benefits to doing that especially if financing is an issue for you. Read the linked thread...lots of advice there to help you.

I can say that if you would be disappointed if you "had" to stay at SSR for some of your trips, I wouldn't buy there. If you are fine with it but want to explore other DVC resorts, it would work.

We just bought SSR through DVC using the F&F promo. It's really fast, especially if you pay cash. Just got my 2007 dues statement and we actually closed on 12/27 instead of the estimated 1/20. For us it was the right way to go as we bought 400 points(we stay in 2 br villas) got the discount price with they UY we wanted and the closing costs were alot less than going resale.

Already have 2 trips booked and have banked the remainer of my 06 points. If anything we might look at resales to add a HH or VB contract.

I will admit I checked out the 360 room view of OKW's 2br and WOW is it bigger than SSR!

When it comes down to it, you have to make the decision what is right for you and your family. I would not have bought SSR even with the discount if I wasn't planning on staying there. If you have to wait for a resale for your fave, go for it, you will appreciate that 11 month booking window and not have to fret about day by day and waitlists at 7 months.

I think the biggest factor that may tip the scales towards buying from DVC direct is not the difference in closing costs, but the difference in the initial point allocation you may get.

If you buy from DVC, you get the points from the current UY when you buy, even if your new UY will start within the next month or 2. We bought an Aug UY in April '05 and got all the 04 points and then the 05 points in Aug 05. We were able able to bank the 04 points as a new member even thou we were past our 100% banking deadline. So, depending on the time of year and the UY you choose, its like getting a full year's banked points when you buy from DVC.

While you can certainly find resales that include that many points, they are often snapped up quickly. If you value those extra points at $10 each, you can see why it is not "silly" to buy directly thru DVC.

Best of luck -- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter