Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

In the past when we have used starwood points for our room we often got a complimentary upgrade to a balcony upon request. Is it true from what I am reading that they are not allowed to do this anymore? Is it true I can't use starwood points for a room with a balcony even if I pay for the difference of a standard?

They can give anyone a complimentary upgrade that they want so I'm not sure where you got that idea. You can book standard rooms on Starpoints. By using more Starpoints you can book upgraded rooms. The exact room type you want isn't always available for you dates. I think that's why the PP was unable to book the Epcot view. It doesn't mean it's never available. It just depends on the dates. Plus I think Epcot view is Dolphin while Swan is Boardwalk view.

I've found that if you don't specifically call guest services and request early housekeeping you're lucky if the have your room clean by 4. I get it. They want to make rooms checking out a priority. Last time on the first day DH called guest services and asked for early housekeeping every day and we didn't have to call again.

That's good info, thanks! We'll be there next month and will be headed back to the room each day after lunch for naps. I wouldn't have thought to ask for early housekeeping. We usually decline housekeeping in favor of 500 SPG points each day, but this will be a 5 night stay so I'm sure we'll get it at least one night.

I'm not sure I'd say that, since the S/D share transportation with three WDW resorts. :) I think that's just one of the worst things about staying in an Epcot area resort, all the resorts on one bus line.

When I was there in Sept 2012, S/D only shared with BWI. Has that changed?

In the past when we have used starwood points for our room we often got a complimentary upgrade to a balcony upon request. Is it true from what I am reading that they are not allowed to do this anymore? Is it true I can't use starwood points for a room with a balcony even if I pay for the difference of a standard?

This will all depend on availability when you check in, just like any other starwood property. If something better is available, the hotel has the option to give you a complementary upgrade. If you have status with a hotel program and the employee checking you in is in a good enough mood, you're pretty likely to get something.

I think the discussion you're referring to was about booking upgraded rooms with points. Starwood properties are only required to make standard rooms available for point redemption, but have the option of making upgraded rooms available as well. For the S/D, you'll almost never see these upgrade options online, you'll need to call to see what's available. It sounds like a pp was told that the S/D wasn't going to make Epcot rooms available for point redemptions anymore. I don't know where that came from or how authoritative the source is, but that wouldn't have any effect on upgrades at check-in.

If a balcony is important to you, you could always book your standard room with points and then call the hotel directly to see if you can upgrade your room with cash. I don't know for sure that the S/D does this, but I've done it at other Starwood properties.

I could be mistaken a bit, maybe that's not true for all bus routes. When we were there in 2013 our DTD bus stopped at BWI, Swan, Dolphin, YC, and BC in that order before taking us downtown. We got on at the Swan and got the last seats on the bus, though admittedly some of those people were waiting to get off at Dolphin, YC and BC. The people we sat next to got on at BWI, and were complaining about all the extra stops the buses from there made.

This was also middle of the afternoon, which probably makes a difference.

That night about 9pm it appeared to be the same route coming back, just without the stop at TL.

That's good info, thanks! We'll be there next month and will be headed back to the room each day after lunch for naps. I wouldn't have thought to ask for early housekeeping. We usually decline housekeeping in favor of 500 SPG points each day, but this will be a 5 night stay so I'm sure we'll get it at least one night.
If you select this option, you will automatically get housekeeping every fourth day. Or more frequently, if requested.

On my recent stays, bus pick up and drop off has been BWI, Swan, then Dolphin.

On mu recent stays, bus pick up and drop off has been BWI, Swan, then Dolphin.

Wow, that's good to hear, because on my previous stays (which have been awhile), the buses all stopped at all 5 resorts as Klepton indicated.

Wow, that's good to hear, because on my previous stays (which have been awhile), the buses all stopped at all 5 resorts as Klepton indicated.
I have been on buses that also stopped at Y&BC, but also have been on buses that only stopped at the Swan. Neither situations though, for quite a few years. YMMV.

So tried to book but swan is booked solid April 18-25..why?

Try looking at individual days, every booking I've made has had one night of my desired date range completely sold out. In all 4 cases I've needed to shift my dates by one day forward or backwards. Hopefully that's the case for you and you have the flexibility to move dates a bit.

Could also call the hotel directly and ask to book a cash room, they could at least tell you what is going on around that time so you could plan accordingly. I've also had success converting a cash reservation to points redemption before when a hotel was sold out (not Swan or Dolphin, but it was SPG who did it for me).

Can some one tell me how many Starwood points you need for a free standard room at the dolphin? Tia! :goodvibes

I've found that if you don't specifically call guest services and request early housekeeping you're lucky if the have your room clean by 4. I get it. They want to make rooms checking out a priority. Last time on the first day DH called guest services and asked for early housekeeping every day and we didn't have to call again.

I always call housekeeping when we leave the room and let them know the room was ready for cleaning. That way, they can do our room early instead of waiting for rooms to be vacated.

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Just returned from 7 nights at the Dolphin and had a fabulous time!!! We just love this resort :)

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived but we were early (2pm), got a phone call at 3pm that room was ready but we had already headed over to Epcot. Bell service held our bags until we got back from Epcot. They were very fast to deliver bags and come pick up the bags on checkout day, I was pretty impressed.

The location can't be beat and I love the boats. The buses are a whole different story. The busses at S&D are HORRIBLE. We tried to ride buses 2 days and both times took 20 minutes to arrive and were PACKED when they stopped at the Dolphin. It seems like it takes forever to get there and get back. The first day it took us 50 minutes between waiting for the bus and transportion time to get to Magic Kingdom. I ended up just driving over and parking (for free) the other days and that took 25 minutes door to door. Much more convenient.

They seemed to be getting more strict on the towels, you had to show your room key. My husband walked over to get towels one day without a key and they wouldn't budge and give him any so he had to come back and get a key.

Never had a problem getting a chair at the pool, although, it seemed like there were fewer umbrellas than in the past. We only saw 2 umbrellas out during the day and it was HOT.

I brought tons of gym clothes and never stepped foot in the gym!!! haha :)

Just returned from 7 nights at the Dolphin and had a fabulous time!!! We just love this resort :)

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived but we were early (2pm), got a phone call at 3pm that room was ready but we had already headed over to Epcot. Bell service held our bags until we got back from Epcot. They were very fast to deliver bags and come pick up the bags on checkout day, I was pretty impressed.

The location can't be beat and I love the boats. The buses are a whole different story. The busses at S&D are HORRIBLE. We tried to ride buses 2 days and both times took 20 minutes to arrive and were PACKED when they stopped at the Dolphin. It seems like it takes forever to get there and get back. The first day it took us 50 minutes between waiting for the bus and transportion time to get to Magic Kingdom. I ended up just driving over and parking (for free) the other days and that took 25 minutes door to door. Much more convenient.

They seemed to be getting more strict on the towels, you had to show your room key. My husband walked over to get towels one day without a key and they wouldn't budge and give him any so he had to come back and get a key.

Never had a problem getting a chair at the pool, although, it seemed like there were fewer umbrellas than in the past. We only saw 2 umbrellas out during the day and it was HOT.

I brought tons of gym clothes and never stepped foot in the gym!!! haha :)

Glad you had a great time! Thanks for the info on towels.

Since we won't have a car there next month I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for the buses. I wonder if the buses won't be as packed in the morning at the Swan because that's an earlier stop. We'll have one day where we do EMH at MK in the morning, I wouldn't be above walking over to BWI if I had a better chance of catching a bus there. :-)

Glad you had a great time! Thanks for the info on towels.

Since we won't have a car there next month I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for the buses. I wonder if the buses won't be as packed in the morning at the Swan because that's an earlier stop. We'll have one day where we do EMH at MK in the morning, I wouldn't be above walking over to BWI if I had a better chance of catching a bus there. :-)
I've never been a full bus pick up at the Swan going anywhere. May be just the times I've left the resort or time of the year. I have been on full buses going back to the Swan at the end of the day.

I'm packing as we speak and I'm wondering about the hair dryers in the Swan. Should I pack my own or have people found them to be ok? I hate a weak hair dryer!

The Dolphin is the last stop for pick up before MK, so getting on early at the swan may be better for you. We came back in the afternoon and the bus had plenty of room. It just takes forever because of drop offs at boardwalk, then swan, then dolphin.

I haven't tried the bus late at night after park closes, I imagine it is packed.

The boats are fantastic, especially the one to HS, takes 5 minutes no stops either way... Boats are packed at Epcot close but we love to stroll back walking through the boardwalk to check out the street performers. It's not a bad walk when it's not so hot! Never had a full boat for HS and we were there the night of the big cheerleading summit convention at HS.

Welcome to the dis, Schmitty.

We think they are fine.

I thought the hair dryer was fine too and I have thick hair.

And I don't really get the whole bus thing, we just didn't really experience the problems others are reporting. We only had that one full MK bus in the morning but waited 5 min and another arrived, we still made it in time to see the opening ceremony show.

Only the DTD/TL bus was shared with YC/BC, otherwise it was just with BWI and Swan of course.

We walked home one night from Epcot because DD wanted to get her hair wrapped on the BW and the performers were out so it was fun and an easy walk. After late emh we did take the boat and it wasn't an issue.

On a funny note we were waiting for the MK bus Thurs. afternoon around 5pm to go over for the evening. There was a noisy group of conventioneer women talking about how they just got in today and had never heard of FP+ and were trying to download the app and book them. First the DTD bus came by and they didn't get on it, then the AK bus came by and again they didn't get on it. The MK bus came and everyone else got on except those women, DD was stunned when she heard them complaining about how long it was taking for the Epcot bus to come!:lmao: omg if I had heard that earlier I would have helped them out but I was already on the bus. We wondered how long they sat there waiting. :rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter