• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

I am booked at the Dolphin in June with an amazing rate, but I am concerned over the multitude of negative reviews I am seeing. I absolutely love this area and Beach Club is nearly 4x the price. Should I ignore the negative reviews and take a chance or search for Disney owned accommodations at a potentially less ideal location?
I’m staying again at the Dolphin in June. I am a huge fan of the Dolphin in terms of value and would probably still consider it as a good option if the prices were closer to Disney prices. It was fully renovated in 2016 or 2017 so it’s in good shape. The only reason I would spend more money to stay at the BCR would be the pools. Dolphins pools are solid and hold their own but not to BCR nothing does on property. But usually it’s 200+ more a night to stay at BCR and for me that’s probably not worth it particularly given we end up spending too much time at the parks. If I planned a half park / half resort stay I’d consider it. But obviously it’s a personal choice.

Where have you stayed before on property for perspective?

I’m staying again at the Dolphin in June. I am a huge fan of the Dolphin in terms of value and would probably still consider it as a good option if the prices were closer to Disney prices. It was fully renovated in 2016 or 2017 so it’s in good shape. The only reason I would spend more money to stay at the BCR would be the pools. Dolphins pools are solid and hold their own but not to BCR nothing does on property. But usually it’s 200+ more a night to stay at BCR and for me that’s probably not worth it particularly given we end up spending too much time at the parks. If I planned a half park / half resort stay I’d consider it. But obviously it’s a personal choice.

Where have you stayed before on property for perspective?
Thanks for responding. I have stayed at Beach Club, Grand Floridian, Poly, Boardwalk, SSR, Wilderness, and all the moderates. (My daughter was a cast member for years so we got amazing rates) I did stay at the Dolphin once, but it was many year’s ago. I realize that these are extraordinary times and even Disney owned properties are not operating at the standards everyone expects. I am probably way overthinking this and should just stay at the Dolphin and focus on how lucky I am to be in my favorite location. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thanks for responding. I have stayed at Beach Club, Grand Floridian, Poly, Boardwalk, SSR, Wilderness, and all the moderates. (My daughter was a cast member for years so we got amazing rates) I did stay at the Dolphin once, but it was many year’s ago. I realize that these are extraordinary times and even Disney owned properties are not operating at the standards everyone expects. I am probably way overthinking this and should just stay at the Dolphin and focus on how lucky I am to be in my favorite location. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

For some context I have stayed at the Contemporary, Poly, Beach Club, and various moderate and value resorts. And Am beyond thrilled to be staying at the Dolphin again this fall (after a 2 night splurge in the Contemporary tower over Oct 1!). The Dolphin has a great location for a price the Disney boardwalk resorts can't begin to match. You have multiple restaurants and bars at your disposal, without having to go outside your resort. I also think the boats to Epcot and the Disney Studios are a much nicer way of getting around than the buses.

Go stay at the Dolphin and have a great time!!!

For some context I have stayed at the Contemporary, Poly, Beach Club, and various moderate and value resorts. And Am beyond thrilled to be staying at the Dolphin again this fall (after a 2 night splurge in the Contemporary tower over Oct 1!). The Dolphin has a great location for a price the Disney boardwalk resorts can't begin to match. You have multiple restaurants and bars at your disposal, without having to go outside your resort. I also think the boats to Epcot and the Disney Studios are a much nicer way of getting around than the buses.

Go stay at the Dolphin and have a great time!!!

I second all of this. I see paying a chunk more for Poly/GF/CR b/c of the walk to MK / monorail / etc but for me Swolphin is my go-to for Boardwalk hotel.

Have fun!!!

@susieb16 see if my guess is right, you were reading tripadvisor? We'd taken a break from Disney World since Disneyland was closer, when we were planning one of our first trips back I read TA and was concerned with what I read. But some of the comments were pretty bizarre and over the top, the more I read the more I figured some of these people must have been on business trips and just generally unhappy people.

Like any hotel, S/D isn't perfect and you'll find the people on this thread will admit it. We joke about some of the poor views people have had (thankfully its not a lot) and talk about housekeeping issues. But with all that many of us keep coming back, since those issues are the rarity not the norm. Heck 1st night of our stay the toilet get running, but they were on it the next day. But overall it's a very good place to stay, location & price is hard to beat. On our last trip S/D prices were higher then staying at POFQ, so we stayed there. Kept trying to get S/D but didn't happen, but we would have happily moved if we could have. All that is to say I wouldn't hesitate to stay at S/D, even during Covid.

@susieb16 see if my guess is right, you were reading tripadvisor? We'd taken a break from Disney World since Disneyland was closer, when we were planning one of our first trips back I read TA and was concerned with what I read. But some of the comments were pretty bizarre and over the top, the more I read the more I figured some of these people must have been on business trips and just generally unhappy people.

Like any hotel, S/D isn't perfect and you'll find the people on this thread will admit it. We joke about some of the poor views people have had (thankfully its not a lot) and talk about housekeeping issues. But with all that many of us keep coming back, since those issues are the rarity not the norm. Heck 1st night of our stay the toilet get running, but they were on it the next day. But overall it's a very good place to stay, location & price is hard to beat. On our last trip S/D prices were higher then staying at POFQ, so we stayed there. Kept trying to get S/D but didn't happen, but we would have happily moved if we could have. All that is to say I wouldn't hesitate to stay at S/D, even during Covid.
I have stayed multiple times at the Swalphin during COVID and I enjoyed my stays. I return in 12 days and I can't wait!

Sometimes people post a review because they have strong feelings, and someone who is unhappy might be someone who has strong feelings. People who had a perfectly good experience often will not take the time and energy to post.
RIght. People are moved to post reviews because they LOVED something or HATED it. unless you ask someone to review, very few people want to post a review that something was "nice" or "adequate".

Yes it is for a Family Plan. A King bed room connecting to a 2 Queen bed room. It is best to call directly. The discount is often 50% on the second room.

Local: 407-934-4000
Reservations: 1-888-828-8850

Dave
I think I can guess this answer, but hoping I’m wrong. Would the 50% off the second room work if booking one (or both) room with points by any chance?

Another thing I've noticed with Swalphin reviews is that many post negative reviews simply because they expected the rooms to be themed, and were disappointed because they are not.

Sooo I’m here now and a tiny bit disappointed in the room! Mainly, the bathroom. No fan. Toilet paper is like tissue paper. And BOTH sinks are behind one door. It makes zero sense! I mean luckily I’m with my husband but what if I was traveling with my mom. Or my son. They wouldn’t be able to get ready while I showered or vice versa. I really thought that was going to be different.

@stephnerninnie1984 you must be at the Dolphin? That is one of the pluses of the Swan two sinks; in on the shower/toilet and the other by the closet. I will say many hotels like S/D have a constant draw fan in the bathroom, but not something you need to switch on/off but also doesn't cover up bathroom sounds either. Have a great trip!

Sooo I’m here now and a tiny bit disappointed in the room! Mainly, the bathroom. No fan. Toilet paper is like tissue paper. And BOTH sinks are behind one door.
What room type do you have with that configuration an Alcove room by chance?

Normal rooms at the Dolphin only have 1 sink and at the Swan there are 2 sinks. 1 with the shower/tub and toilet. The other since is outside the bathroom door and has a large mirror and has the closest behind it with mirrored door.

The bathrooms have a vent with positive flow but no switch for a fan in the room. Toilet paper is the same as is used in the Disney parks.

Dave

Sooo I’m here now and a tiny bit disappointed in the room! Mainly, the bathroom. No fan. Toilet paper is like tissue paper. And BOTH sinks are behind one door. It makes zero sense! I mean luckily I’m with my husband but what if I was traveling with my mom. Or my son. They wouldn’t be able to get ready while I showered or vice versa. I really thought that was going to be different.

Are you at Swan or Dolphin? I was at the Dolphin in April in a room with two beds and the sink was in a room outside of the toilet/tub. The TP is like that at the WDW resorts as well, it's like that in almost every hotel I've ever stayed in except maybe the Four Seasons in Atlanta. I don't understand it since people tend to use more because it's thin so it really can't be that cost effective. We travel with our own now. I do remember there was no fan in the room with the toilet/tub and I thought it was weird but it didn't really bother me.

@stephnerninnie1984 you must be at the Dolphin? That is one of the pluses of the Swan two sinks; in on the shower/toilet and the other by the closet. I will say many hotels like S/D have a constant draw fan in the bathroom, but not something you need to switch on/off but also doesn't cover up bathroom sounds either. Have a great trip!

You can't depend on getting the above set up. We have had a room at the Swan with both sinks inside with the shower and toilet. It had a sliding door too, which was different.

Actually it is a commercial supplier issue. That's what the commercial service providers offer to their customers. Unless the Swan & Dolphin want to run to Costco to pickup the good stuff.

Dave

Toilet paper is like tissue paper.

For comparison purposes, the toilet paper has been like that at the Disney-owned hotels for years. In 2017 it was KimberlyClark Professional Scott Brand EcoLogo Certified Bathroom Tissue, mix paper from responsible sources. I took a picture because it had been a source of discussion on here.

Hi all,

My family and I are going to be staying at Swan for the first time next week. I just have a couple of transportation questions from there to MK & AK since they're apparently using their own buses with COVID still affecting things. We're planning on walking to Epcot & Studios.

1. How early are the buses from the Swan to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom starting in the mornings before the parks open? We like to be at the parks 30-60 minutes before they open.
2. Where does the bus from the Swan drop you off at the Magic Kingdom?
3. Would it be better/faster to get an uber/lyft/taxi in the mornings or possibly walk to the Beach Club Resort and catch a Disney bus from there?
4. Are the boats currently running to Epcot and Studios from the Swan in case we decide to go that route one day?
5. Best way to get to Disney Springs?

Just anxious about transportation to the parks since this is the first time we have stayed at the Swan/Dolphin, and the first time we have gone since COVID.

Any help/answers are appreciated. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter