Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

We are staying at swan for a last minute trip. How do I like it to MDE? IT IS 8 numbers and I have tried the zero in front? Also, we are 2 adults in a 2 queen bed room.. do they charge extra for a child that is 5? What time does the pool area close as of recent? Thank you!
I think pool closed at 11:00 last week. The child is free, but I didn't bother adding the kids; no need to since it's not necessary for their Magic Bands or anything else. When I called the onsite number to add them they said don't worry about it because their system is messed up and will charge me if I add them.

We stayed at the Swan last week. I got a survey and filled it out, commenting on their new bus situation (which was a surprise to us). I got an email from the GM and I thought what he said about transportation was interesting:

"Thank you for providing your feedback in regards to the challenges you faced with our transportation system during your stay with us. Unfortunately, this was a last-minute change due to our contract running out with Disney and the choice not to renew. We would have readily communicated prior to your stay had this been a planned decision and apologize for the distress this caused your family. We know that theme park transportation is of utmost importance to our guests staying to go to the Walt Disney World theme parks, and worked hard to ensure that we could continue that service, even if in a new capacity."

We stayed at the Swan last week. I got a survey and filled it out, commenting on their new bus situation (which was a surprise to us). I got an email from the GM and I thought what he said about transportation was interesting:

"Thank you for providing your feedback in regards to the challenges you faced with our transportation system during your stay with us. Unfortunately, this was a last-minute change due to our contract running out with Disney and the choice not to renew. We would have readily communicated prior to your stay had this been a planned decision and apologize for the distress this caused your family. We know that theme park transportation is of utmost importance to our guests staying to go to the Walt Disney World theme parks, and worked hard to ensure that we could continue that service, even if in a new capacity."
Thanks for sharing the message. This clears up the mystery regarding switching to Mears buses from Disney transport, and whether the change is temporary or permanent.

The message’s implication is that Disney pulled a surprise in the contract renewal negotiations. My guess is that the renewal cost was beyond what was expected and reasonable in the eyes of Swan/Dolphin management.

Had there not been other bus transportation offered, the two resorts would lose much of their leisure business, which is keeping them alive right now. Under the circumstances, I think they did the best they could.

I was checking the Dolphin Resort and the Swan Resort using the annual pass discount.

The Swan Resort was a little more expensive than the Dolphin Resort.

But what I found interesting is the Dolphin Resort had an option for a handicap wheelchair roll-in shower room, but the Swan Resort did not.

Can anyone confirm that the Swan Resort doesn't have any rooms with a handicap wheelchair roll-in shower room?

The Dolphin Resort has three handicap options.

1-Hearing impaired room.
2-Handicap wheelchair roll-in shower room.
3-Handicap bathtub room.

The Swan Resort has only one handicap option.

1-Hearing impaired room.

Thanks for sharing the message. This clears up the mystery regarding switching to Mears buses from Disney transport, and whether the change is temporary or permanent.

The message’s implication is that Disney pulled a surprise in the contract renewal negotiations. My guess is that the renewal cost was beyond what was expected and reasonable in the eyes of Swan/Dolphin management.

Had there not been other bus transportation offered, the two resorts would lose much of their leisure business, which is keeping them alive right now. Under the circumstances, I think they did the best they could.
That was my takeaway as well.

Unfortunately, this was a last-minute change due to our contract running out with Disney and the choice not to renew.
This is the part that is not clear since both parties knew when the contract would run out.

The key is who chose not to renew. Disney or Tishman Realty? We don't know from this vague response which party made the choice not to renew.

Dave

Interesting. Thank you.

I was checking the Dolphin Resort and the Swan Resort using the annual pass discount.

The Swan Resort was a little more expensive than the Dolphin Resort.

But what I found interesting is the Dolphin Resort had an option for a handicap wheelchair roll-in shower room, but the Swan Resort did not.

Can anyone confirm that the Swan Resort doesn't have any rooms with a handicap wheelchair roll-in shower room?

The Dolphin Resort has three handicap options.

1-Hearing impaired room.
2-Handicap wheelchair roll-in shower room.
3-Handicap bathtub room.

The Swan Resort has only one handicap option.

1-Hearing impaired room.
This is a good site:
https://wheelchairjimmy.com/listing/walt-disney-world-swan-hotel/
I would call in-house reservations for accurate info. They are very helpful
and are open daily, mostly daytime hours.

Reservations: 888.828.8850

I have a different view. I think it’s entirely possible that Disney didn’t raise rates but Swan/Dolphin chose not to renew regardless of the cost because they are trying to save money. Isn’t the Dolphin supposed to be shutting down again soon to save money? If so, they would have less need for transportation anyway and I’m sure it’s way cheaper to rent a few Mears buses with reduced service than paying Disney.

Regardless, the apology is half hearted at best. They explain why they didn’t give us advanced notice, which is understandable (if true that they waited until the contract expired to decide). But they didn’t bother to apologize for actually not telling us when they switched! There is no excuse for not telling those of us who were there when it happened. And has anybody with upcoming reservations been notified of the change or do you have to check the website to even know?

I have a different view. I think it’s entirely possible that Disney didn’t raise rates but Swan/Dolphin chose not to renew regardless of the cost because they are trying to save money. Isn’t the Dolphin supposed to be shutting down again soon to save money? If so, they would have less need for transportation anyway and I’m sure it’s way cheaper to rent a few Mears buses with reduced service than paying Disney.

Regardless, the apology is half hearted at best. They explain why they didn’t give us advanced notice, which is understandable (if true that they waited until the contract expired to decide). But they didn’t bother to apologize for actually not telling us when they switched! There is no excuse for not telling those of us who were there when it happened. And has anybody with upcoming reservations been notified of the change or do you have to check the website to even know?
When I read about it “not being a planned decision,” I can’t believe that management would just cut off Disney transit, unless pushed by Disney, one way or another, to do so. A large complex like the Swan/Dolphin does not make snap judgements, unless presented with an unexpected move by another party. Of course, that is assuming that the message is completely frank. The GM came on board earlier this year and is new to Orlando. He has an extensive background in the industry, mostly in NY.

I agree about poor communication with current and future guests, regarding the change. The website seemed to be updated fairly promptly. I do recall someone posting that the hotel staff did not have too much knowledge about the switch to Mears.

Just checked in to the Swan. Initial reaction is I don’t feel like I am at Disney. I feel like I am a very nice hotel outside. In fairness we got in to our room at 10:30 and didn’t get to experience anything of the hotel. I will say the bathtub is chipping. I am still hoping to have a wonderful stay.

Did you notice that the linked site states there are 7 guest rooms at the Swan that have roll-in showers?

No, I didn't.

Thank you.

I wish it had shown that info when I looked on their website when making an informational or dummy reservation.

Maybe it just wasn't available for my dates.

Just checked in to the Swan. Initial reaction is I don’t feel like I am at Disney. I feel like I am a very nice hotel outside.
Agreed, and well you're not at Disney. But I always felt that the price point and location it was like staying at a Deluxe at a Moderate (or less) price. With the busing and boat situation, and having some aspects closed off that's a bit harder to measure, but dang the prices I've seen make me wish I could go. Hope you have a good stay, thanks for the update so far.

The Swan didn't list a handicap wheelchair room with a handicap bathtub.
I think you're right may have been your dates. Calling does the number shoreward shared will connect you with the S/D reservation team.
When booking be sure you filter rooms with the accessibility options you need. I picked a couple dates, November 10 just to show you the options.
swan_filter.pngswan_rooms.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter