Walking question

Anyone willing to share the tips regarding the "right at 8:00a" secret to booking? I've tried to start a walk three times in the past week, only to lose out. Twice I saw the room when I was booking and apparently someone clicked just slightly ahead of me. Once I guess I hit the book button just a fraction of a second too early and when it refreshed it was gone.

My previous technique was to hit the search exactly when the click hit 8:00a. That would seemed to work alright, though not always. I learned that you can actually complete your search before 8:00a, have your search result all ready showing it's available, then hit "Continue" button to book. Twice I've done this in the past week, the clock hit 8:00a according to time.gov to the second, and the system has still told me I was early. Is Disney or at least the DVC site a second behind? Does anyone else notice that? My phone and computer are usually less than tenths of a second ahead of time.gov (which is what I understood Disney's systems are set to), but I get that message that I am too soon occasionally. Also get it from time to time on Genie+, even though the time has arrived.

Other than hesitating a split second, any suggestions? I definitely am not clicking it early as I visually wait for the time change, I do not anticipate it. Still the DVC system seems to think I'm early. I'm tempted to go back to the search at 8:00a instead of continue/book at 8:00a, but I suspect that puts me at a time disadvantage.

This is the same problem I've had for the past few days as well...I think there are just too many people walking right now. What I am going to probably do is once we get to the dates I actually want, I'm going to waitlist it. Hopefully as the walkers walk on by, my waitlist will come through.

May I ask what kinds of rooms you were walking? We are relatively new and I’m a bit shocked at the idea of walking a reservation 4 months ahead of an 11mo window! 😵‍💫

Also, for those of us who can’t plan 12m+ in advance, do any of you experts have advice on time of day to pick up walked rooms? Does DVC reload the released dates immediately or every morning, evening at a set time? 🤔

May I ask what kinds of rooms you were walking? We are relatively new and I’m a bit shocked at the idea of walking a reservation 4 months ahead of an 11mo window! 😵‍💫

Also, for those of us who can’t plan 12m+ in advance, do any of you experts have advice on time of day to pick up walked rooms? Does DVC reload the released dates immediately or every morning, evening at a set time? 🤔
I believe they said they were walking AKV-club level. All Jambo and Kidani owners can book them at 11 months and there are 5 of them. They are always gone at 8AM sharp every day of the year. Most days they are not even available to try to book (due to walkers). The 5 LO 2BR are the only club level rooms in the DVC system. The next toughest rooms to get are the value rooms at AKV followed by the std rooms at BWV, AUL, and then BLT. The club rooms are a rare exception to the DVC owners love low point cost rooms and those are the first to go. We also like the "special rooms" and there are usually a limited number of those, which drives the limited availability. Park view, BW view....

Reservations (rooms become available) can be made 11 months ahead of check in at your home resort, every day year round at 8AM ET online.

I believe they said they were walking AKV-club level. All Jambo and Kidani owners can book them at 11 months and there are 5 of them. They are always gone at 8AM sharp every day of the year. Most days they are not even available to try to book (due to walkers). The 5 LO 2BR are the only club level rooms in the DVC system. The next toughest rooms to get are the value rooms at AKV followed by the std rooms at BWV, AUL, and then BLT. The club rooms are a rare exception to the DVC owners love low point cost rooms and those are the first to go. We also like the "special rooms" and there are usually a limited number of those, which drives the limited availability. Park view, BW view....

Reservations (rooms become available) can be made 11 months ahead of check in at your home resort, every day year round at 8AM ET online.
Thanks DaveNan. I should have been clearer— I’m familiar with standard availability—my question is, if a “walker” drops 2 nights at 1AM, does it become available at 1AM? 1:01-1:05AM? 6AM? 9AM? Etc.

Thanks DaveNan. I should have been clearer— I’m familiar with standard availability—my question is, if a “walker” drops 2 nights at 1AM, does it become available at 1AM? 1:01-1:05AM? 6AM? 9AM? Etc.
Depends. But usually, the dropped night is within the booking window so it becomes available as soon as it is dropped (although some think it takes 20 minutes or so for the system to "catch up" and return it to inventory).

If a walker drops a night that is not within the booking window, that night will not be available to book until the window opens for the dropped night. This is rare & generally means the walker changed his/her mind about walking the reservation.

Depends. But usually, the dropped night is within the booking window so it becomes available as soon as it is dropped (although some think it takes 20 minutes or so for the system to "catch up" and return it to inventory).

If a walker drops a night that is not within the booking window, that night will not be available to book until the window opens for the dropped night. This is rare & generally means the walker changed his/her mind about walking the reservation.
Thank you Carol. I often end up trying to visit DL resort with days to weeks in advance and regularly peruse VGC listings, but I realized if they only update returned inventory them once or twice a day I’m wasting a lot of time—sounds like they can show up anytime with a short lag after cancellations.

I often end up trying to visit DL resort with days to weeks in advance and regularly peruse VGC listings, but I realized if they only update returned inventory them once or twice a day I’m wasting a lot of time—sounds like they can show up anytime with a short lag after cancellations.
With the holding rules, members are very hesitant to cancel within 30 days of the reservation. If they have concerns or doubts about the stay, they may drop it as they near the 30 day window. It is never easy at VGC, but if you had 31+ days notice instead of days to weeks, stalking the inventory right before the holding window might improve your odds.

So, you're saying there's a chance......

I believe they said they were walking AKV-club level. All Jambo and Kidani owners can book them at 11 months and there are 5 of them. They are always gone at 8AM sharp every day of the year. Most days they are not even available to try to book (due to walkers).
This has definitely been the case whenever I've considered booking. I've never seen club level available when booking, even during covid.

So how do people end up even starting a walk for AKL club?
AKL club level studios (and 2BRs since a studio reservation also eliminates a 2BR lock-off) disappear instantly at 8 a.m. eastern, 11 months out year round (or for some start dates are gone even a little before 11-months out due to multiple-day reservations done before any given 11-month out date). Walking is difficult simply because it is difficult to even get any start date year round to begin a walk. The winners are simply those whose computers communicate with Disney's at 8 a.m. nano-seconds faster than everyone else trying to do the same. In other words, you just need to be luckier than others.

You can add to your daily attempt at 8 a.m. checking the site often during the day to see if anything opens up due to cancellation or a walker passing-by. Some have posted having success doing that. Of course, it can potentially mean spending much of your awake life trying to start a reservation.

Another possible alternative is to get a 1BR and start a walk for it. Those also have an 11-month issue, but there are times when they are open at 8 a.m. and even beyond 8 a.m. Possible times to begin a walk for one of those is to attempt, at 11-months out, to reserve time during the three lowest DVC demand times of the year at WDW -- Feb 1 to the Thurs before Presidents' Day, last week of April, and July 7-31.

Also, be aware that the same year-round 11-month reservation problem as AKV club level exists for AKV value rooms, and standard studios (and 2BRs) at BWV.

Last edited:
So how do people end up even starting a walk for AKL club?
That's kinda the whole point of walking; you get a head start on trying to secure that first night. People try again and again until they can get a foothold on a single day and build from there.

It's also why walking makes more people walk. If you could get the date you wanted on the day you wanted it, you wouldn't have to walk. So, now, you're tying up a lot of extra days that someone else might want, so they feel the need to walk, too. It just makes everyone's life more difficult.

Depends on what you are booking. I've planned both of my upcoming trip way less than 7 months out. DVC has rooms that are constantly booked, and rooms that are easier to get.

Depends on what you are booking. I've planned both of my upcoming trip way less than 7 months out. DVC has rooms that are constantly booked, and rooms that are easier to get.
Yes, we’ve actually only booked 7+m out once (at aulani over thanksgiving), and had success getting within 4m at Poly and even got one night at VGC by pure luck (though it’s an incredibly expensive night!)— so I know it’s possible if you’re flexible and/or lucky. I’m not too worried about it but would like to know which resorts/rooms I really need to stress about.

I am wondering with VGC points becoming so expensive is they are going to have more and more rooms that must be walked from 1 year plus— because who is buying there now except people who are determined to stay there almost all of the time?

If you walk a reservation and book all 7 nights, but ultimately only use the last 5 nights, you get refunded points for 2 nights. May the points associated with the 2 nights be banked…or must they be used in the current use year?

If you walk a reservation and book all 7 nights, but ultimately only use the last 5 nights, you get refunded points for 2 nights. May the points associated with the 2 nights be banked…or must they be used in the current use year?
If the points used for the reservation are bankable, then you can bank them. If you borrowed points to make the reservation, they'll stay in the UY you borrowed them into. If you have not yet passed your banking deadline, you can bank. A 'walking' reservation is no different from a 'regular' reservation.

Walking does not change the usual rules applicable to a modification of a reservation for which points are removed. If you modify a reservation by dropping some days more than 31 days out from designated arrival date, any points that come out of the reservation will have the same status they had when they went into the reservation: (a) banked or borrowed points remain banked or borrow and must be used by the end of the use in which the reservation existed; (b) "current" use year points (meaning points from the same use year in which the reservation occurs) go back into your account as current use year points and can banked if you are not yet beyond the eighth month of your use year; otherwise, like the banked or borrowed points, they must be used by the end of their use year.

If you modify the reservation 30 days or fewer from date of arrival, all points that come out of the reservation go into holding and must be used by the end of the use year in which the reservation existed, and can be used only by reserving 60 days or fewer from date of arrival.

Walking does not change the usual rules applicable to a modification of a reservation for which points are removed. If you modify a reservation by dropping some days more than 31 days out from designated arrival date, any points that come out of the reservation will have the same status they had when they went into the reservation: (a) banked or borrowed points remain banked or borrow and must be used by the end of the use in which the reservation existed; (b) "current" use year points (meaning points from the same use year in which the reservation occurs) go back into your account as current use year points and can banked if you are not yet beyond the eighth month of your use year; otherwise, like the banked or borrowed points, they must be used by the end of their use year.

If you modify the reservation 30 days or fewer from date of arrival, all points that come out of the reservation go into holding and must be used by the end of the use year in which the reservation existed, and can be used only by reserving 60 days or fewer from date of arrival.
Makes complete sense. I had a reservation last year that included some banked points. At the end of the walk, those got returned. I recall now that I was able to ‘rebook’ the reservation and it pulled the banked points, so my actual CY points were still available to bank into next year. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

facebook twitter