Walking Pneumonia?

perla75

DIS Veteran
Have you (or anyone you know) ever had this?

What were the symptoms and what did you feel like? How long did it last and did you get any antibiotics?

Thanks!

I had walking pneumonia last year. The only symptoms I ever had were a never ending cough, constant exhaustion, and shortness of breath. I ended up getting it after seasonal allergies turned to bronchitis and then to pneumonia. I was never actually sick first.
Some people have fever and flu like symptoms as well (from what I have read).

It took a lot to get rid of it. I was on almost total rest (wasn't even allowed to do dishes and was supposed to spend as much time as possible in bed- REALLY easy with a 1.5 yr old...not). It took 4 months to be totally cured. I was on 6 different antibiotics, 4 inhalers, 4 steroids, and lots of super heavy cough medicine. Oh, and a couple of in-office breathing treatments.

What I did find, though, is that my lungs never seemed to go back to being 100%. I notice it the most when I go hiking and do a slightly more strenuous part. It takes me a little longer to recover than it used to. Otehrwise, no other long term effects.

I had it a couple years ago, wasn't a huge deal for me. I had a cough, but no phlegm or anything, some low grade fevers. I went to my school's clinic, and they had a suspicion it might be it, since a lot of people were getting sick. They did a chest x-ray, gave me some antibiotics for a week or 2, and it was fine. I had no lingering effects from it.

My son had this a few years back, after bronchitis. He had a terrible cough that just wouldn't go away, and kept us all up at night. He also was very lethargic - I don't remember if he had a fever or not. He was put on a nebulizer & something oral - for the life of me I can't remember if it was an antibiotic, steroids or just something for the awful cough. He was down & out on the couch for 3 days which wasn't like him at all.

I had walking pneumonia last year. The only symptoms I ever had were a never ending cough, constant exhaustion, and shortness of breath. I ended up getting it after seasonal allergies turned to bronchitis and then to pneumonia. I was never actually sick first.

It took a lot to get rid of it. I was on almost total rest (wasn't even allowed to do dishes and was supposed to spend as much time as possible in bed- REALLY easy with a 1.5 yr old...not). It took 4 months to be totally cured. I was on 6 different antibiotics, 4 inhalers, 4 steroids, and lots of super heavy cough medicine. Oh, and a couple of in-office breathing treatments.

What I did find, though, is that my lungs never seemed to go back to being 100%. I notice it the most when I go hiking and do a slightly more strenuous part. It takes me a little longer to recover than it used to. Otehrwise, no other long term effects.

Sounds a lot like me. Last Fall, I had a terrible cough that just would not go away. I hadn't slept for days -- cough kept me awake. I was so tired I couldn't even stand at the sink for 2 minutes to brush my teeth. I'd sit on the edge of the tub and get up to spit and rinse my mouth. Finally, the day before Thanksgiving I went to the doc. Mostly i just wanted some cough medicine, so I could sleep. My oxygen levels were so low the doc wanted to send me to the hospital. I had to promise him that I would go home and stay on the couch for a week and go to the ER if I started feeling any worse. I was given a shot and and prescription and sent home. DH made Thanksgiving dinner, but I barely remember it because I slept for several days.

Like Syrreal, it took a long time to recover, and also like her, I still don't feel like I'm back to 100%. I didn't have to take as many meds though, but it knocked me off my feet for months.

I never had a fever or felt sick though -- just that nasty cough and tired beyong belief.

My DD11 had it this summer. She had a bad cough that wouldn't go away and that was really her only symptom. We were leaving for vacation and figured I'd better get it checked out and she had pneumonia :scared1:. Call me a bad mom for not checking sooner! Just an antibiotic and take it easy for a few days and she was fine.

Heather

I had it many years ago. I had a bad cough for days and thought I just had a bad cold. When I didn't get better I went to the doctor who diagnosed me. I was on antibiotics for what seemed forever. I remember it took about six months for me to get back to normal, but just like Syyreal, I feel that my lungs have never been the same since. Smoke bothers me a great deal and when I get a cold it seems to last longer than it should. I would go to the doctor if you are not feeling better.

This is exactly how I feel :( My lungs almost feel like I smoked too many cigarettes or something....but I quit smoking two months ago.

2 weeks ago I had a classic flu-fever, stuffed nose, congestion, coughing, etc...it went away but now I have this dry wheezy cough (mostly at night), phlegm, and I'm nauseaus, dizzy, and tired all week. I don't have a stuffy nose anymore and no fever so I've just been dealing with it all week but today I just felt awful at work. I'm staying home tomorrow and calling my doctor. A friend suggested walking pneumonia so I wanted to learn more about it.

I came home from WDW with walking pneumonia 3 years ago. I had been getting over a bad case of bronchitis when I went down. I had a cough worse than the bronchitis and a slight fever. My dr. put me on a heavy duty antibiotic and told me to get some rest. I was fine in a week or two. I never had any long lasting effects from it. The bronchitis I get every year.

I had walking pneumonia last year. The only symptoms I ever had were a never ending cough, constant exhaustion, and shortness of breath.

It took a lot to get rid of it. I was on almost total rest .

I had it a couple years ago and then had it twice in two years. The first time, I went in because I lost my voice. Come to find out I had walking pneumonia too. Was off work for a week - I agree - constant exhaustion and shortness of breath. I got it the week after my dance rectial. It took me awhile to get back into the summer classes for dance. In fact ended up not doing classes until October (recital was in June).

The second time, again I was off for a week, no loss of voice that time.

For both I was on an antibiotic for a couple weeks. Actually two antibiotics, which in turn brought on a yeast infection. :headache:

(Off topic - this was my 1313th post - LOL)

This is exactly how I feel :( My lungs almost feel like I smoked too many cigarettes or something....but I quit smoking two months ago.

2 weeks ago I had a classic flu-fever, stuffed nose, congestion, coughing, etc...it went away but now I have this dry wheezy cough (mostly at night), phlegm, and I'm nauseaus, dizzy, and tired all week. I don't have a stuffy nose anymore and no fever so I've just been dealing with it all week but today I just felt awful at work. I'm staying home tomorrow and calling my doctor. A friend suggested walking pneumonia so I wanted to learn more about it.

Hopefully you were able to get into the doctor and check yourself out.

Hopefully you were able to get into the doctor and check yourself out.

I'm heading there tomorrow-took the day off to rest today and was without a car. I'm praying it's nothing more than this walking pneumonia...

Walking pneumonia is very harsh desease...

When pneumonia builds up, indicators frequently include:
  • Excessive vomiting
  • Chills
  • Shortness connected with breath
  • Greater breathing fee

Have you (or anyone you know) ever had this?

What were the symptoms and what did you feel like? How long did it last and did you get any antibiotics?

Thanks!
Pneumonia is an inflammatory lung disease characterized by swelling of the air sacs of lungs, may be one or both, due to infection caused by bacterial, viral, fungal or any breathing foreign particle. According to American Lung Association, viruses are the most common cause of pneumonia in the United States and accounts for more than one-third of the total cases. Air sacs are more commonly affected in pneumonia, they become inflamed and fill up with fluid which results in breathing difficulties associated with the risk that this infection might travels to whole body.

Types of pneumonia
The types of pneumonia depend upon its causative agents. The four known causative agents of pneumonia are bacteria, virus, fungus and foreign breathing particles. Similarly, the signs and symptoms of pneumonia also vary with their causative agents.

Symptoms
Symptoms of pneumonia depends upon its causative agents; bacterial pneumonia show variable symptoms to pneumonia caused by viruses. The symptoms of pneumonia ranges from mild to severe depending upon its causative agents. Symptoms range from more than 7 to 10 days and then decline steadily. Most commonly seen symptoms of pneumonia includes: • Cough with phlegm or without sputum
• Fever and chills
• Loss of appetite
• Chest pain and tightness
• Trouble breathing
• Headache
• Fatigue and malaise
• Nausea and vomiting
• Confusion
• Clammy skin and swelling
In older adults, the symptoms are less intense with mild coughing fever and chest pain. However, the progression rate is comparatively high in older adults. In children, the symptoms of pneumonia include: • Fast breathing
• Indrawing of chest inhalation
• Wheezing
• Appetite loss
• Loss of consciousness
• Cold body temperature
• Convulsions in severe disease

Causes
There are 4 main known causative agents that causes pneumonia which are bacteria, virus, fungus and other foreign breathing object. The bacteria that causes bacterial pneumonia are Streptococcus pneumonia and Haemophilus influenza; these are the most common causes of bacterial pneumonia, however, Staphylococcus aureus is the common cause of pneumonia in drug abusers as well as adults with chronic conditions.
Haemophilus influenza considered to be the second most cause of pneumonia, this germ resides in the upper respiratory tract and cause problems with weak immunity holders. Other strains that causes pneumonia includes: Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA), Klebsiella Pneumonia, Legionella, Chlamydia pneumonia, Pseudomonas Aeruginosa.
Below given are the bacterial strains which do not account for common cases of bacterial pneumonia,
• Streptococcus Pyogenes
• Streptococcus Agalactiae
• Neisseria Meningitides
• Moraxella Catarrhalis
• Escherichia coli
The causative agents of viral pneumonia include Influenza virus, Human Parainfluenza Viruses (HPIVs),
Respiratory Syncytial Virus Pneumonia, Adenovirus. The fungal pneumonia is rarely contagious normally affect with weak immunity system. Pneumocystis jiroveciis is one of the common fungal pathogens that causes serious infections. Another type of pneumonia which is atypical pneumonia is also known as walking pneumonia mycoplasma pneumonia being the cause of most common type of walking pneumonia.
Treatment

Pneumonia is treated according to its etiology, however the general guidelines according to the America Lung Association for treatment are: • Take plenty of rest
• Take plenty of fluids
• Mechanical ventilation
• Maintain a proper and good diet
• In case of fever take NSAIDs such as aspirin or Ibuprofen
• Avoid or quit smoking
• Make sure you are not on any cough suppressants
• Maintain a close observation
Below given are the specific treatments for pneumonia: Bacterial pneumonia, once diagnosed, should be treated through antibiotic therapy. These antibiotics include first line drugs for Streptococcal Pneumonia and second-generation Cephalosporin with or without Macrolides. These Macrolides include: Azithromycin or erythromycin. In some cases, when the patient is in critical condition, Quinolones are also being advised. Additionally, chest physiotherapy, intravenous fluid, analgesia, oxygen supplements respiratory therapy, ventilation with low tidal volumes, proper hydration and mobilization are some other measures that should be taken care of.
Viral pneumonia does not need antibiotic therapy.in this case, antiviral therapies may be prescribed to treat the patient. Specifically, in the case of influenza pneumonia, rimantadine hydrochloride and amantadine hydrochloride are recommended. For PIV pneumonia, oral and aerosol form of ribavirin is recommended.
Other than this patient might need supplemental oxygen in case of breathing difficulty.
Prevention

Preventive measures to avoid the spread of pneumonia include:
• Vaccination
These vaccinations are mainly available for influenza virus, Haemophilus influenza and pneumococcal bacteria. People who are pneumonia vaccinated are less likely to get infected and even if they are, they show milder form of symptoms which stays for a very small period of time. people over 65 years and children below 5 years are certainly benefited from the early vaccination similarly, people who smoke, drink, suffers from any heart or lung condition along with chronic liver conditions can also prevent theirselve from the infection if they get vaccinations on time.
• Hygiene measures such as use of antibacterial soap, sanitizers to kill the infected germs.
• Keeping your immunity system strong not just protect you from pneumonia but many other deadly diseases as well.
Home remedies for pneumonia
Along with medicinal treatment if a person opts for any home remedy from the list of many given below an immediate cure can be expected. These home remedies include: • Make use of herbal tea as much as you can
• In order to ease breathing and coughing, gargle with warm water
http://bit.ly/2kuV35i

Wow, I'm loving the two new posters who felt posting medical excerpts was a great way to start out on a Disney vacation website!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter