Walking a reservation

Curiousporpoise

Mouseketeer
Can someone explain the purpose of walking a reservation? I would like to book my home resort for Thanksgiving on November 21-26, 2023. My thought is that I would login at 8am EST on December 21 and book one day at a time. I read a thread on walking, and still can’t understand how that helps you get the days you want? If I only have November 21-26 off, why would I book different days and then slowly walk it forward to get the correct dates?

Last edited:
Waking is when you book a reservation to start earlier than you really want to go so you get it earlier and than “walk” it forward so you eventually get what you want

For example, you could log in December 1st and book November 1st to November 5th. Then every few days you modify and move it forward until you get to the actual trip dates.

People do this for hard times get rooms so that when they see an open date, they can snag it and then have their room.

Before trying to do this my first recommendation would be to look into the history on the room type and view you want to book for that time and see how hard it is historically to get that room during the same holiday week in the past. Also, if you have some flexibility in the points/view/room size that could also make it easier for you to get something and not need to walk your reservation to get what you want. For example if you want a studio but have the points for a 1BR or even better a 2BR that gives you a lot more options. Can you get the better view rooms that cost more points but usually don’t book up as fast?

Based on all of that you might not have to bother with walking :)

Edit - forgot to add that I would recommend that you go to the DVC Resorts section of the board and find the Owners/Love (Etc.) Thread of the resort you own and think about asking them for some wisdom on how hard it is to book at that time. Some people might say that’s giving out some inside info and getting others to consider to also book at that time, but I would say that most people on here are super nice and friendly and will help you out. Good luck.

Last edited:
Waking is when you book a reservation to start earlier than you really want to go so you get it earlier and than “walk” it forward so you eventually get what you want

For example, you could log in December 1st and book November 1st to November 5th. Then every few days you modify and move it forward until you get to the actual trip dates.

People do this for hard times get rooms so that when they see an open date, they can snag it and then have their room.
I’m so glad I asked this question! So you can login December 1 and book November 1-5 as well? For some reason I thought it was like making Disneyland park reservations where every day you can book one day ie - on December 1 I can book November 1, on December 2 I can book November 2, etc. This is mind blowing!

Before trying to do this my first recommendation would be to look into the history on the room type and view you want to book for that time and see how hard it is historically to get that room during the same holiday week in the past. Also, if you have some flexibility in the points/view/room size that could also make it easier for you to get something and not need to walk your reservation to get what you want. For example if you want a studio but have the points for a 1BR or even better a 2BR that gives you a lot more options. Can you get the better view rooms that cost more points but usually don’t book up as fast?

Based on all of that you might not have to bother with walking :)

Edit - forgot to add that I would recommend that you go to the DVC Resorts section of the board and find the Owners/Love (Etc.) Thread of the resort you own and think about asking them for some wisdom on how hard it is to book at that time. Some people might say that’s giving out some inside info and getting others to consider to also book at that time, but I would say that most people on here are super nice and friendly and will help you out. Good luck.
This is great advice. I will hop over to the DVC Resorts section and do some additional research. I have the feeling that there is availability at the resort if we are open to spending more points for a 1 or 2 bedroom. I already want to purchase more points but I’m holding out until they announce the VDH pricing.

What resort is ” Home” and do you have enough points .
Every year, I have had to walk BLT standard studio for Holiday week including NYE …and it is brutal.
if ever going to buy again I would purchase a-fixed week .
I have decided this year No more walking . I was caught off balance walking because of the increase in points for actual holidays.
So I was walking regular days in December and discovered I was short points as my true dates got close.
That’s why I asked if you have enough points to move it forward .
Even the increase in points can throw your walking off for the more expensive Friday, Saturday.
Watch the point charts and you might discover just how soon members start walking.

Last edited:
Every year, I have had to walk BLT standard studio for Holiday week including NYE …and it is brutal.
I have decided this year No more walking . Banking for one year because those teens don’t fit into studio anymore . I was caught off balance walking because of the increase in points for actual holidays.
So I was walking regular days in December and discovered I was short points as my true dates got close.
Even the increase in points can throw your walking off for the more expensive Friday, Saturday.
Watch the point charts and you might discover just how soon members start walking.
For instance take a look at the months surrounding the Tower Studios for Riviera Resort . DVC does not sell fixed guaranteed weeks for this booking type. They are very popular.
I am going to assume the new DH Villas will not sell the new tower rooms as a fixed week.

As long as you still have enough points to get two nights booked, you can still walk over more expensive nights. It just means you move more often.

Say you want 5 nights that are 125 points and that is what you have. If you get to a weekend that is more, you just move forward and hold 4 nights instead and then get back up to 5 when you get to your dates.

As long as you still have enough points to get two nights booked, you can still walk over more expensive nights. It just means you move more often.

Say you want 5 nights that are 125 points and that is what you have. If you get to a weekend that is more, you just move forward and hold 4 nights instead and then get back up to 5 when you get to your dates.
Thank you for this info about 5 nights!

Why walking works:

Let's assume you want Nov 20, 2023 arrival to Nov 26 departure. Today, Nov 7, 2022, we are 11 months out from Oct 7, 2023. You could go online today and, if available, book the room you want for Oct 7 to Oct 13, 2023. That results in preventing anyone else from booking the room you have for the nights of Oct 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12, 2023. That also prevents anyone from booking the room you have for any dates after Oct 12, 2023, until Nov 13,2023. Why? Because at 11-months out from any given arrival date, you cannot book any room that is already full for that arrival date, e.g., if you went online today and saw that the rooms are booked full for Oct 7, 2023, but open for all days thereafter, you could not possibly book a room for any of those open days.

Thus, if today you were to book Oct 7-13, 2023, you effectively block out everyone else from booking the room you have, not just for Oct 7 through Oct 12, but all dates thereafter, until Nov 13, 2022. Thus on Nov 12, 2022, your room will still be open for all dates after Oct 12, 2022. On Nov 12, 2022, at any time of the day, you can go online and modify the reservation for the room you already have by changing the start date to Oct 12 and departure date to Oct 18, 2023, with the same result of blocking everyone else from reserving the room you have for Oct 12 through 17, 2023 and all days thereafter. You would then modify your reservation on Nov 17, 2022 to Oct 17-23, 2023, then again on on Nov 22 to Oct 22-28, 2023, and continue that process until you have the actual dates you want.

Some do more modifications in that process, such as modifying the reservation daily to move the arrival and departure dates up one day. To do a walk, you need enough points to make it through any higher point weekends that occur during the walk. Nevertheless, you actually need only enough points for two nights to do any walk, e.g., you could today book Oct 7-9, which results in preventing anyone else from reserving the room you have before Nov 9, and thus you could go online tomorrow, Nov 8, and modify the reservation to Oct 8-10, and continue that daily modification process until you can start actually adding the days you want to keep for the trip.

When Walking May be Needed

You have the dual question of whether walking is needed, and, if so, when do you start looking to begin a walk. For most rooms and times, walking is unnecessary because the kind of room you want is typically open in the early morning at 11 months out, e.g., no SSR rooms have ever completely filled at exactly 11 months out. Here are the rooms that currently have an 11-month issue, in that they can be already filled even when trying to get them early morning at 11-months out from date of arrival:

-- BWV standard view studios (and thus also 2BRs because all are lock-offs) essentially year round. Also, boardwalk view studios (and thus also 2BRs) during the high demand fall season that runs from late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan, but rarely ever have the issue other times of year. GVs also have the issue some but not many times during the fall season. Pool/garden studios (and 2BRs), and standard and boardwalk view 1BRs, rarely have the issue but have sometimes (and it does not happen every year) had a day or two disappear right at 8 a.m. at 11 months out during the the two highest demand times of the year -- first two weeks of Dec and Christmas week (particularly time around NYE).

-- AKV value and club level studios (and 2BRs since all are lock-offs), which, like BWV standard, is essentially a year round problem. The value and club level 1BRs also usually disappear during the high demand fall season and some times at other times of year. No other rooms at AKV have ever had the issue.

-- BLT standard studios and 2BRs (including both lock-off and dedicated 2BRs). They have the issue throughout the fall season and often at other random times of the year. Standard 1BRs and theme park view studios (and 2BR lock-offs) can also sometimes have the issue during those two highest demand periods of the year mentioned above.

-- CCV studios (and 2BR lock-offs) at times during the high demand fall season, and once in a while during other times of the year.

-- OKW GVs in the near hospitality house booking category, a year round problem. No other rooms at OKW have the issue.

-- BRV and BCV studios (and lock-off 2BRs) on rare occasions during those two highest DVC demand times of the year.

-- VGF studios (and lock-off 2BRs) at times during the high demand fall season, although that appears to be an issue that is disappearing with the addition of all the new studios.

-- VB and HH three bedrooms but only randomly on rare occasions.

-- Aulani standard view GVs -- they seem to never be available at 8 a.m. at 11-months out. The hotel rooms also have the issue at various times of the year.

For any other DVC rooms, there has, in the last ten years, been only one event that has caused numerous rooms to disappear right around 8 a.m. at 11-months out. That was for Sep 30 to Oct 2, 2021 at Disney World -- the 50th anniversary celebration started October 1 -- for which huge numbers of rooms booked quickly at 11-months out. Example: all rooms at BLT were filled for Sep 30 to Oct 2, 2021 by 8:05 a..m. on Oct 30, 2020. All rooms at VGF did the same within an hour. Even the CCV cabins and Poly Bungalows, which are often open during the year even at 60 days out, were gone quickly at 11-months out. Whether that kind of skewed demand will ever happen again is doubtful (unless you plan to be around for the 100th anniversary), although I perceive it as a possibility if the summer olympics ever come to Orlando.

If your room is one of those that has the 11-month issue and you want to try walking, you need to decide when to try starting the walk. The problem you face, particularly with rooms that have the issue year-round, is even finding a time when you can start a walk. For the Disney World resorts, if it is a room that generally has the 11-month issue only during the first two weeks of Dec or Christmas week, then you may just wait to start shortly before the 11-month window opens for those times. If it is one of the rooms that generally has the issue only during the fall season, it is best to start looking for a start time in August. if it is a room that has the issue year round, then finding a start time can itself be quite difficult. For whatever time you are seeking for such rooms, you probably want to start looking at 11-months out from one of the lowest DVC demand times of the year which, for Disney World DVC resorts, in order starting with the lowest, have been: (a) Feb 1 to the Thursday before Presidents' Day; ); (b) July 7 to 31; (c) the Monday after the Princess half-marathon weekend in Feb to about March 10; (d) the last week of April.

Last edited:
I have decided this year No more walking . Banking for one year because those teens don’t fit into studio anymore . I was caught off balance walking because of the increase in points for actual holidays.
For instance take a look at the months surrounding the Tower Studios for Riviera Resort . DVC does not sell fixed guaranteed weeks for this booking type. They are very popular.
I am going to assume the new DH Villas will not sell the new tower rooms as a fixed week.
This is great advice. I do have enough points for this year to walk a reservation, and I should be able to lock things down soon.

I do wish that they would give out some information on the DH Villas soon! If they are restricted like RR, I might have to pass.

Why walking works:

Let's assume you want Nov 20, 2023 arrival to Nov 26 departure. Today, Nov 7, 2022, we are 11 months out from Oct 7, 2023. You could go online today and, if available, book the room you want for Oct 7 to Oct 13, 2023. That results in preventing anyone else from booking the room you have for the nights of Oct 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12, 2023. That also prevents anyone from booking the room you have for any dates after Oct 12, 2023, until Nov 13,2023. Why? Because at 11-months out from any given arrival date, you cannot book any room that is already full for that arrival date, e.g., if you went online today and saw that the rooms are booked full for Oct 7, 2023, but open for all days thereafter, you could not possibly book a room for any of those open days.

Thus, if today you were to book Oct 7-13, 2023, you effectively block out everyone else from booking the room you have, not just for Oct 7 through Oct 12, but all dates thereafter, until Nov 13, 2022. Thus on Nov 12, 2022, your room will still be open for all dates after Oct 12, 2022. On Nov 12, 2022, at any time of the day, you can go online and modify the reservation for the room you already have by changing the start date to Oct 12 and departure date to Oct 18, 2023, with the same result of blocking everyone else from reserving the room you have for Oct 12 through 17, 2023 and all days thereafter. You would then modify your reservation on Nov 17, 2022 to Oct 17-23, 2023, then again on on Nov 22 to Oct 22-28, 2023, and continue that process until you have the actual dates you want.

Some do more modifications in that process, such as modifying the reservation daily to move the arrival and departure dates up one day. To do a walk, you need enough points to make it through any higher point weekends that occur during the walk. Nevertheless, you actually need only enough points for two nights to do any walk, e.g., you could today book Oct 7-9, which results in preventing anyone else from reserving the room you have before Nov 9, and thus you could go online tomorrow, Nov 8, and modify the reservation to Oct 8-10, and continue that daily modification process until you can start actually adding the days you want to keep for the trip.

When Walking May be Needed

You have the dual question of whether walking is needed, and, if so, when do you start looking to begin a walk. For most rooms and times, walking is unnecessary because the kind of room you want is typically open in the early morning at 11 months out, e.g., no SSR rooms have ever completely filled at exactly 11 months out. Here are the rooms that currently have an 11-month issue, in that they can be already filled even when trying to get them early morning at 11-months out from date of arrival:

-- BWV standard view studios (and thus also 2BRs because all are lock-offs) essentially year round. Also, boardwalk view studios (and thus also 2BRs) during the high demand fall season that runs from late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan, but rarely ever have the issue other times of year. GVs also have the issue some but not many times during the fall season. Pool/garden studios (and 2BRs), and standard and boardwalk view 1BRs, rarely have the issue but have sometimes (and it does not happen every year) had a day or two disappear right at 8 a.m. at 11 months out during the the two highest demand times of the year -- first two weeks of Dec and Christmas week (particularly time around NYE).

-- AKV value and club level studios (and 2BRs since all are lock-offs), which, like BWV standard, is essentially a year round problem. The value and club level 1BRs also usually disappear during the high demand fall season and some times at other times of year. No other rooms at AKV have ever had the issue.

-- BLT standard studios and 2BRs (including both lock-off and dedicated 2BRs). They have the issue throughout the fall season and often at other random times of the year. Standard 1BRs and theme park view studios (and 2BR lock-offs) can also sometimes have the issue during those two highest demand periods of the year mentioned above.

-- CCV studios (and 2BR lock-offs) at times during the high demand fall season, and once in a while during other times of the year.

-- OKW GVs in the near hospitality house booking category, a year round problem. No other rooms at OKW have the issue.

-- BRV and BCV studios (and lock-off 2BRs) on rare occasions during those two highest DVC demand times of the year.

-- VGF studios (and lock-off 2BRs) at times during the high demand fall season, although that appears to be an issue that is disappearing with the addition of all the new studios.

-- VB and HH three bedrooms but only randomly on rare occasions.

-- Aulani standard view GVs -- they seem to never be available at 8 a.m. at 11-months out. The hotel rooms also have the issue at various times of the year.

For any other DVC rooms, there has, in the last ten years, been only one event that has caused numerous rooms to disappear right around 8 a.m. at 11-months out. That was for Sep 30 to Oct 2, 2021 at Disney World -- the 50th anniversary celebration started October 1 -- for which huge numbers of rooms booked quickly at 11-months out. Example: all rooms at BLT were filled for Sep 30 to Oct 2, 2021 by 8:05 a..m. on Oct 30, 2020. All rooms at VGF did the same within an hour. Even the CCV cabins and Poly Bungalows, which are often open during the year even at 60 days out, were gone quickly at 11-months out. Whether that kind of skewed demand will ever happen again is doubtful (unless you plan to be around for the 100th anniversary), although I perceive it as a possibility if the summer olympics ever come to Orlando.

If your room is one of those that has the 11-month issue and you want to try walking, you need to decide when to try starting the walk. The problem you face, particularly with rooms that have the issue year-round, is even finding a time when you can start a walk. For the Disney World resorts, if it is a room that generally has the 11-month issue only during the first two weeks of Dec or Christmas week, then you may just wait to start shortly before the 11-month window opens for those times. If it is one of the rooms that generally has the issue only during the fall season, it is best to start looking for a start time in August. if it is a room that has the issue year round, then finding a start time can itself be quite difficult. For whatever time you are seeking for such rooms, you probably want to start looking at 11-months out from one of the lowest DVC demand times of the year which, for Disney World DVC resorts, in order starting with the lowest, have been: (a) Feb 1 to the Thursday before Presidents' Day; ); (b) July 7 to 31; (c) the Monday after the Princess half-marathon weekend in Feb to about March 10; (d) the last week of April.
Wow, thanks for explaining things so clearly! I couldn't figure out how walking a reservation would work, and in my head I kept thinking you would start with the wrong vacation dates, so how does this help? Now this makes sense! How many days can you book ahead ie - if today is November 8 and I can book October 8 starting today, is there a limit in how many days I can book as long as I have the points?

How many days can you book ahead ie - if today is November 8 and I can book October 8 starting today, is there a limit in how many days I can book as long as I have the points?
At 11 months before checkin to your home resort, you can book up to 7 nights.

At 7 months before checkin to a non-home resort, you can book up to 7 nights.

Wow, thanks for explaining things so clearly! I couldn't figure out how walking a reservation would work, and in my head I kept thinking you would start with the wrong vacation dates, so how does this help? Now this makes sense! How many days can you book ahead ie - if today is November 8 and I can book October 8 starting today, is there a limit in how many days I can book as long as I have the points?

At the exact 11 and 7 month window you are limited to 7 days so you can hold no more than that at one time if your booking at those exact dates.

Can someone explain the purpose of walking a reservation? I would like to book my home resort for Thanksgiving on November 21-26, 2023. My thought is that I would login at 8am EST on December 21 and book one day at a time. I read a thread on walking, and still can’t understand how that helps you get the days you want? If I only have November 21-26 off, why would I book different days and then slowly walk it forward to get the correct dates?
So would it require you to modify and extend by one day every single day or just prior to the last day on the original day booked.

At the exact 11 and 7 month window you are limited to 7 days so you can hold no more than that at one time if your booking at those exact dates.
So would it require you to modify and extend by one day every single day or just prior to the last day on the original day booked.

I thought at 7 months, you can book more than 7 days no? When can you book for more than 7 days then?

Yes. You go in and add the days. The other option is to wait a few days and then you can book more.

But not a good strategy if you are booking hard to book rooms.

I thought at 7 months, you can book more than 7 days no? When can you book for more than 7 days then?

It’s the same as the 11 month. When you book exactly 7 months out, you can do 7 days and if you want more, you modify and add them or start a few days into the window.

Yes. You go in and add the days. The other option is to wait a few days and then you can book more.

But not a good strategy if you are booking hard to book rooms.
It would seem to make sense that if you held the last day of the initial reservation, no one would be able to book those consecutive nights eliminating the need to modify every day but only the day before the last day of the reservation..... thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter