Waitlist questions

Jen and Ashwin

DIS Veteran
We are planning to go in October. Home resort is Polynesian and I booked there at 11 months minus our last night because we need to buy one time use points to book the last night as we are short a few. I was hoping to switch to Grand Floridian at the 7 month mark, which was a few days ago. When I went on to book, there were only two nights available at GF and the last night we need wasn't available at Poly either.

I put in a waitlist request for the entire 7 night stay for GF. My husband doesn't really want to do a split stay, so if we can't get GF then we will stay at Poly. Technically I only need a single night at Polynesian, so for that waitlist request, should I do a request for all 7 nights or just the single night that I need? If that single night opens up, will they add it on to our current reservation if I call in so we don't have multiple reservations? Do I have to buy the single use points ahead of time in order to get the waitlist request to go through or can I call in and buy them once the night is available? Thanks!

I am sure someone who has better knowledge will come on and tell you better but this is what I think can/needs to be done:
First, you can only buy the one time use points when you are ready to make your reservation, not a waitlist (I THINK, so really not 100%).
I would maybe cancel one of your nights and book it with the one-time-use points and that would free up your points for your WL for Poly.
But, I am not sure if you are "allowed" to purchase one-time-use points if you still have points.
If you can do above, without loosing your day, I would then put in the WL for the one night for Poly.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

You would waitlist the single night at Poly. But you can only buy OTU points when booking. To swap in points from OTU to your existing reservation, the unit must be available to any comers at that instant with the points. You can't swap in OTU to an 11-month/home resort booking at 7 months if the room isn't available.

You would waitlist the single night at Poly. But you can only buy OTU points when booking. To swap in points from OTU to your existing reservation, the unit must be available to any comers at that instant with the points. You can't swap in OTU to an 11-month/home resort booking at 7 months if the room isn't available.

So would you suggest that I book that single night room at another resort, buying the OTU points and the waitlisting the night that I need?

ETA: That way I would have the points available by replacing the other reservation.

Last edited:

So would you suggest that I book that single night room at another resort, buying the OTU points and the waitlisting the night that I need?

ETA: That way I would have the points available by replacing the other reservation.

That is perfect!
Good luck and also stalk, stalk and stalk. You have 7 months for one day to open and if you keep watching and don't just rely on the WL, there is hope.

Let us know how it works out.

That is perfect!
Good luck and also stalk, stalk and stalk. You have 7 months for one day to open and if you keep watching and don't just rely on the WL, there is hope.

Let us know how it works out.

I called to book a different date that is the same number of OTU points that I need for my Poly night but they said they are having problems processing OTU points right now and would have to call me back. No idea how long this is going to take. Ugh. Once I have the points available I do plan to check back frequently for availability though, so hopefully we will get what we need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter