waiting, waiting, waiting for my membership mumber

I agree. Thought that the maintenance went to care for the properties. In the end, Disney is a business just like anything else. They technically have the right to have different processes for direct purchases and resale.

One of the reasons people who buy direct pay more. One of the reasons I went direct was because I wanted what I wanted- when I wanted it. ;)

This is the #1 reason why someone should buy direct. Thank you for this breath of fresh air and honesty.

Maybe I am just the type that tries to see things from a positive intention but I am thinking that this is the reason the policy was put in place-way too many people calling and wanting the information and it prevented those working to get done what needed to get done vs. just a way to stick it to resale buyers.

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that office has only a few CM's working in it that handle the entering of the new information so multiple calls a day to stop and check may have been actually delaying things getting done.

I agree. I do think there is a little disincentive built into the decision as well, but I would not go so far as to say that DVD executives are meeting behind closed doors to figure out ways to stick it to resale buyers. I tried to put myself in the place of the unfriendly cast member when this topic came up last year. Although there is no real reason to be rude, I did sympathize with her over the frustration she must have experienced fielding multiple phone calls per day from the same people.

I agree. I do think there is a little disincentive built into the decision as well, but I would not go so far as to say that DVD executives are meeting behind closed doors to figure out ways to stick it to resale buyers. I tried to put myself in the place of the unfriendly cast member when this topic came up last year. Although there is no real reason to be rude, I did sympathize with her over the frustration she must have experienced fielding multiple phone calls per day from the same people.

I respectfully disagree. You don't think that they had a meeting when they took away the ability for resale buyers to book outside of DVC and RCI? That act was obviously intentional and premeditated. You don't think that if they did it once they won't do it again?

Their goal is to increase direct sales and if resale buyers are hurt in the process, that is apparently acceptable to them.

:earsboy: Bill

I think the reason they started limiting resale buyers was the difficulty they are having filling cash rooms as the result of the trades. They cut down on the cruise room availability at the same time. Cutting the resale buyers options will mean less trades, so it accomplished a couple of things at the same time (also encouraging direct sales).

If it is your expectation that you can book for early April, a peak time, so close to arrival, you might want to pause and research your purchase.
I'm not saying that to be Debbie downer. Just don't want to read another "disappointed with my DVC" post.

Honestly, mid March through most of April is high demand times and typically booked out once the 7 month window has passed, with possible exception of Saratoga and maybe Old Key West.
As of five days ago, your date was open to people with holding points.

Which resort(s) were you looking to book?

No worries at all about any disappointment! We bought for many future trips which are always planned 11 months in advance. :) Our contract just happens to come with some points that we will need to rent out this year, as we are already booked for VGC in December.
With some very cheap airfare, I booked a resort only trip for me and DD6 for April. We have a Royal Room reserved at POR just in case, but would totally snag a studio at SSR with our points if it all works in time.
Either way, I will be happy to be at WDW! :goodvibes

Statements like this make me cringe. Our maintenance fees go to pay the expenses of the DVC resorts (including the costs of DVC cast member salaries). That being said, I do not think that this entitles us to special privileges, the right to make demands, or the right to treat cast members as if they work for us directly.

:)

Agreed

disneynutz said:
I see it from a business stand point. Disney made it clear that they have no problem hurting resale buyers when they took away the ability to book outside of DVC and RCI. They make the broker wait for the Estoppel info and the ROFR status. Now they don't want phone calls and instead mail the info apparently using security as the excuse.

The buyer by the way, pays Disney's $50 Estoppel fee which is basically verifying in the computer the sellers account status. They could charge $100 to cover the added expense of expediting the resale process if they wanted to, but it appears that they don't.

Meanwhile direct buyers get an account, points assigned, and reservations made the same day in many cases and they don't have the same security issues?

If they can set direct buyers up in one day, they could do the same for resale buyers if they wanted to.

But don't you think the constant rise in direct prices has had an impact on sending buyers to resale as well? We bought BLT in 2009 at $96 a point...in just 4 years its up to $165..even with incentives, the $150's. And yes, I do agree that they may be able to get new buyers set up and paperwork mailed faster, but I can't see how anyone would think adding a two week delay--because at most that is all it is now with the refusal to give info on the phone-- would make a difference.

It just seems that there are certainly lots of ways to make the resale process a lot less attractive to drive direct sales--IMO, this just doesn't seem like it would be all that effective of a measure..

ELMC said:
This is the #1 reason why someone should buy direct. Thank you for this breath of fresh air and honesty.

Thanks! I agree with your point about the DVC execs meeting behind closed doors thinking of ways to stick it to resale buyers. Not likely. It is likely that as market conditions improve and management changes happen at DVC, policies will slowly roll out.... Just like the changes that were made with resale buyers only using points at DVC properties.

disneynutz said:
I respectfully disagree. You don't think that they had a meeting when they took away the ability for resale buyers to book outside of DVC and RCI? That act was obviously intentional and premeditated. You don't think that if they did it once they won't do it again?

Their goal is to increase direct sales and if resale buyers are hurt in the process, that is apparently acceptable to them.

Absolutely!

BLTisforME said:
. Just like the changes that were made with resale buyers only using points at DVC properties.

You do know that resale CAN trade out through RCI if they want to, right?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

DannysMom said:
You do know that resale CAN trade out through RCI if they want to, right?

I thought that any resale contracts that were purchased within the past year-18 months were unable to be used for anything but the DVC sites. The people who own older resale contracts don't have that restriction. Am I wrong??

Looking for a resale contract for BCV so this is good to know.

BLTisforME said:
I thought that any resale contracts that were purchased within the past year-18 months were unable to be used for anything but the DVC sites. The people who own older resale contracts don't have that restriction. Am I wrong??

Looking for a resale contract for BCV so this is good to know.

The limitations on resale contracts are the Disney Collection, the Concierge collection, and the Adventurer collection. So the functional limitation are some expensive high end hotels, the non-DVC Disney hotels, AbD, and DCL. Currently ALL MEMBERS both retail & resale can utilize the trades through RCI. (aka World Passport collection.). It seems like many people have the same misconception. Often enough I have heard retail buyers have been blatantly lied to on the restrictions by their "guides."

DannysMom said:
The limitations on resale contracts are the Disney Collection, the Concierge collection, and the Adventurer collection. So the functional limitation are some expensive high end hotels, the non-DVC Disney hotels, AbD, and DCL. Currently ALL MEMBERS both retail & resale can utilize the trades through RCI. (aka World Passport collection.). It seems like many people have the same misconception. Often enough I have heard retail buyers have been blatantly lied to on the restrictions by their "guides."

Wow! Thanks for the information. Honestly, resale wasn't something we considered when we bought last year at BLT. Not because I was worried about the ability to trade/exchange.

At this point our son is only 3 and I think WDW is on the agenda for a long time to come. I just didn't want to wait out the process for ROFR. I also got 3 contracts so I wanted to ensure the use years were the same. I spent more $$$ indeed but was willing to do so to have it "just so".

Now I am looking for a smallish BCV contract (100-150) pts. So I will wait out the ROFR when and if I ever find it.

Our salesperson at DVC was "fine". He didn't say what exactly the limitations were. So I don't feel mislead. I must have just forgotten. I have had a few small "beefs" with DVC but they were related to other issues (fast passes promised and mouse keeping). I just remind myself how happy I am to own DVC and focus on the family magic- while forgetting about the mouse being in the business of making money off of all of us.

Currently resale buyers today can use their points for RCI but that could change at any time. My guess is that the RCI contract with Disney kept them from excluding RCI trades.

We closed on our 250 point AKV purchase last Thursday (we bought resale, for which I am very thankful). I would like to make a reservation, and yesterday I called membership administration to see if I could get my membership number and make my reservation. Tammy told me I am not in the system yet.

Today I spoke with Kevin who told me I am still not in the system AND (contrary to what has been posted on this board) he told me they do not give out membership numbers over the phone anymore, that I will have to wait for my packet in the mail, and it might be another two to three weeks (including time for the mail deliver). He also told me this is a new policy. Has anyone else heard of this? Or is it a situation where you speak with three different people and you get three different answers? Thanks.

We started this process in early-December. Yes, I knew going in it could take two months, but two more weeks would put us at around ten to eleven weeks. AAARRRGGGHHHH!

Curious- did you receive your membership number yet? How long did it take after closing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter