• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

waiting till 5/2 to book even though I have the Disney Visa...I wil tell you why.

I am still not following your math. To get $1200 worth of free gas, with only 20 cents off per gallon means you would have to buy 6000 gallons of gas. (6000 gallons X .20 = $1200) If it takes roughly 30 gallons to fill up your car, you would have to fill up 200 times in 90 days. Something about that calculation seems off to me.

The way the program works is you get $0.20 off per gallon pf gas for every $50 in gift cards you buy (it is normally $0.10 but sometimes they run a promo). If you buy $10,000 worth of gift cards you will have a credit of $40.00 per gallon. For simplity let's say gas is $4 a gallon. You go to Giant Eagle's gas station (Getgo) and scan your Giant Eagle card. It will say you have $40 off per gallon, would you like to use your gas perks. You say yes and fill up your car. Since your credit is higher than the price of the gas, the price of a gallon of gas will be deducted from your total. On your next fillup it will say you have a credit of $36.00 per gallon. Then it will go to 32, 28, etc until you reach zero. You are allowed to use the discount on up to 30 gallons. If you fill up with 30 gallons, you are getting $120 of gas for free. With a $40.00 credit you can fill up 10 tiimes. In essence, you are getting $1,200 worth of free gas.

Here is Giant Eagle's website on the fuelperks:

http://www.gianteagle.com/fuelperks/rules-regulations

It is a nice program but I think you pay for it on your groceries. Giant Eagle came into Ohio in the late 90s. They bought out a local chain and made them Giant Eagle. I noticed the prices went up soon after they took over. I use them mostly for sales and gift cards

I'm so glad you posted this, lisaisanurse!

We just moved to Pittsburgh from the west coast. We shop at Giant Eagle and use the fuel perks but I've never thought about buying gift cards there.

We'll be going down to Marketplace this afternoon and checking out their gift card selection FOR SURE!

Thanks again for the awesome tip!

I'm all about fuel perks too! I've never used the Disney gift cards to pay for my trip but I always do a rough estimate of what we'll need to cover tips on the DP and buy enough for that. That way the DP is truly paid for in advance. Are the CMs patient with you while you give them several gift card numbers over the phone? I'm definitely going to pay for the trip this way.

I'm all about fuel perks too! I've never used the Disney gift cards to pay for my trip but I always do a rough estimate of what we'll need to cover tips on the DP and buy enough for that. That way the DP is truly paid for in advance. Are the CMs patient with you while you give them several gift card numbers over the phone? I'm definitely going to pay for the trip this way.

According to GE's website you can buy Disney Giftcards in $25, $45, $50, $100 and $500 denomoinations. The $500 ones would help reduce the number of cards you need.

great math!:teacher:

I shop @ Super Walmart a lot, Giant Eagle for their sales.............and of course for :cool1:all their Gift Cards. I am SO glad my post is helping people with saving money for their trips!!:grouphug:

I will be in Pgh next week!! :) Going to stock up on my Disney gift cards!! :) we are doing the cruise this fall.... but Dreams Unlimited required 100.00 or more gift cards for payment.

Lisa; normally when I buy that much in gift cards, I have to do it in multiple trips! alot of times the managers have to sign off on it....and another hint.. just go straight to the service desk!! and pick up a candy bar along the way, the one store couldnt do 2 1000 transactions in a row.. and dont go late at night. :)

also.. keep the gift cards in case you would need a refund!!

also I actually use my Amex... I get 5% back at a grocery store. double winning!!

I hope they go back to .20 soon! I know sometimes different Giant Eagle stores have the promo going on while others do not.

Now this one one grocery store that works with one gas station for the discount. Their's is for every $50 you get .$.05 off per gallon (cheesy compared to yours) but on the sign it said that all money on the card toward gas would be used at the time of fillup and they expire the end of the next month. So based on that if you had $21 off and gas was $4 then it would wipe out all $21 which sucks.

Sounds like yours is a much better program :)

Price Chopper/QT?

Does their program stack like that? Where you can end up getting completely free gas? I had no idea...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter