VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 14 June 2024

We were able to secure a runaway train FP for our march-april trip. Tammy was on the computer and just happened upon it. As luck would have it we were able to switch Mill Falcon out for it at the exact same time. Mill Falcon is a good ride, worth a FP, not worth standing in line for longer than 20 mins IMO. With single rider available, we will go that route. I am looking forward to trying out rise of resistance but again, not standing longer than 20 minutes for it. The new can wear off, then I will be happy to ride it, with a FP

I’m really hoping to get a FP for MMRR when we go in May - the 2 Star Wars rides are out for us because of sensitivity to motion sickness but I think we’ll be ok with the new Train ride! And love that TSMM is now tier 2!!!

I’m really hoping to get a FP for MMRR when we go in May - the 2 Star Wars rides are out for us because of sensitivity to motion sickness but I think we’ll be ok with the new Train ride! And love that TSMM is now tier 2!!!

Smugglers Run does have the possibility to be an issue for those prone to motion sickness because it is a virtual chase but it didn't even cross my mind for RoTR unless some spinning is an issue? I don't do great with virtual although can tolerate a single ride in most cases but I am ok with coasters and spinning. ToT and Star Tours are a one ride limit only too but RoTR doesn't fit any of my don'ts for motion sickness.

Wow. I'm starting to have "head Spin" from keeping up with all of the new (and old) acronyms. :faint:

DDad...I know what you mean...RotR still makes me think of Rock n Roller Coaster when I see it. Either that or I get it confused with ROFR. 🤷‍♂️

Smugglers Run does have the possibility to be an issue for those prone to motion sickness because it is a virtual chase but it didn't even cross my mind for RoTR unless some spinning is an issue? I don't do great with virtual although can tolerate a single ride in most cases but I am ok with coasters and spinning. ToT and Star Tours are a one ride limit only too but RoTR doesn't fit any of my don'ts for motion sickness.

Kathy...thanks for the information. I really haven't read up on the new Star Wars rides but DW is susceptible to motion sickness and can't do things like Star Tours or Flight of Passage...she can't even do Soarin'. Sounds like Smuggler's Run is a no go for her. And if Rise of the Resistance has spinning, that will knock it out for her too. To give you an example, she can barely handle the little bit of spin in Toy Story Mania. Is Rise of the Resistance a virtual chase or spinning kind of attraction? It must do something pretty cool to be such a hyped attraction.

I'm not trying to get any spoilers for the group here...just a sense of what DW can do.

I can do Star Tours, TeaCups, Alien Saucers 7 Dwarfs, etc but Jerry can’t - He can do Soaring and coasters that don’t spin but I can’t - we’re pathetic!

Kathy...thanks for the information. I really haven't read up on the new Star Wars rides but DW is susceptible to motion sickness and can't do things like Star Tours or Flight of Passage...she can't even do Soarin'. Sounds like Smuggler's Run is a no go for her. And if Rise of the Resistance has spinning, that will knock it out for her too. To give you an example, she can barely handle the little bit of spin in Toy Story Mania. Is Rise of the Resistance a virtual chase or spinning kind of attraction? It must do something pretty cool to be such a hyped attraction.

I'm not trying to get any spoilers for the group here...just a sense of what DW can do.

A difference might be that it's not spinning just for the sake of spinning so maybe that would help?. More like gliding turns that can be up to 180 degrees. There are quite a few of them though. I've read a several reports from people who say they do have issues with motion sickness and have been ok on RotR. It's also not 3D which I think helps. I'm trying to think of a good comparison for it but can't hit on anything that compares real well. If Soarin and the TSMM spinning is an issue I'd probably be a bit hesitant about it though. Maybe you'll have to do a morning reconnaissance on her behalf! There's quite a bit of the attraction to go thru and then I believe you can exit before getting on the ride vehicles so that's a thought too.

I tend to only ride the attractions that offer sick sacks beside the seat once. Mission Space was one of those rides. I noticed the inside of the crew cab was basically a wash down construction. And the benches along the exit hallway for those that couldn't walk or felt a little ill were also telltale signs. That was long ago when it first opened. I loved the experience, but once was enough.

A difference might be that it's not spinning just for the sake of spinning so maybe that would help?. More like gliding turns that can be up to 180 degrees. There are quite a few of them though. I've read a several reports from people who say they do have issues with motion sickness and have been ok on RotR. It's also not 3D which I think helps. I'm trying to think of a good comparison for it but can't hit on anything that compares real well. If Soarin and the TSMM spinning is an issue I'd probably be a bit hesitant about it though. Maybe you'll have to do a morning reconnaissance on her behalf! There's quite a bit of the attraction to go thru and then I believe you can exit before getting on the ride vehicles so that's a thought too.

Thank you Kathy. I like your idea of me going through first. I think I read that it has a single rider line? In any event, it sounds like a lot of fun and I hate to have DW miss out. The funny thing is that Tower of Terror is her favorite "ride". So it seems to be specific kinds of motion that bother her. I appreciate the feedback on RofR. :thanks:

I tend to only ride the attractions that offer sick sacks beside the seat once. Mission Space was one of those rides. I noticed the inside of the crew cab was basically a wash down construction. And the benches along the exit hallway for those that couldn't walk or felt a little ill were also telltale signs. That was long ago when it first opened. I loved the experience, but once was enough.

DDad...did the "one and done" with Mission Space too. It's the only "thrill ride" at WDW that I consistently see short lines for. Must have sounded like a good idea when the execs were sitting around the planning table. :crazy2:

Mission Space is a fascinating experience using centrifugal forces. That and using the body position was a wonderful "weightless" effect and I enjoyed the engineering aspects of mind and body direction to make a very credible launch experience, along with the moon gravity effects. Great Imagineering! And yes, I know, they offer a less intense version, but what guy wants to be seen in that line? :confused3

Thank you Kathy. I like your idea of me going through first. I think I read that it has a single rider line? In any event, it sounds like a lot of fun and I hate to have DW miss out. The funny thing is that Tower of Terror is her favorite "ride". So it seems to be specific kinds of motion that bother her. I appreciate the feedback on RofR. :thanks:

Smugglers Run has the single rider line but RotR uses the virtual queue boarding pass and it's all one line for entry once your time is called. You do have to be there by park opening to get the boarding pass or you can't get on. ToT is her favorite? That usually falls into the once a day or even once a trip category for me!

Smugglers Run is a mix. Kind of a smaller version of Star Tours but with interaction like Mission Space (not the intensity!) If you were an engineer you could get by with never looking at the screen if it made you queasy. The rest is a lot of bouncing around depending on how good the pilots are - ala Star Tours.

:laughing: Not a bad rule to follow! No sick sacks on any other ride that I can think of though. That's an every 2-3 year attraction for me. We have done the green side once or twice too. The reputation of the ride makes it ok I'd say. Or rather that's what I kept telling myself. ;)

And if Rise of the Resistance has spinning, that will knock it out for her too. To give you an example, she can barely handle the little bit of spin in Toy Story Mania. Is Rise of the Resistance a virtual chase or spinning kind of attraction? It must do something pretty cool to be such a hyped attraction.

Kathy's idea of going first is a solid one. Another idea is to find a high-quality POV on YouTube and either watch it on your TV or a computer, preferably sitting as close as you can. While you won't get the sway, you would get an idea of the movement. Personally, we found the spin of the ride vehicles on RotR to be at a noticeably slower rate than in TSMM vehicles--we didn't feel jerked around, so more of a gentle sweeping motion. Still, it would be a good idea to test it first in some manner.

Any retirees here with a bit of spare time on their hands, a love of Disney classic films as well as patience for jigsaw puzzles? Was just checking out some new Fantasia items on ShopDisney and saw this. Not sure why, but it reminded me of this group. :rotfl2:

Disney Memories Gigantic Puzzle by Ravensburger

• 40,320-pieces
  • Largest puzzle ever commercially produced
  • 6ft 2'' H x 22ft 3'' W

Any retirees here with a bit of spare time on their hands, a love of Disney classic films as well as patience for jigsaw puzzles? Was just checking out some new Fantasia items on ShopDisney and saw this. Not sure why, but it reminded me of this group. :rotfl2:

Disney Memories Gigantic Puzzle by Ravensburger

• 40,320-pieces
  • Largest puzzle ever commercially produced
  • 6ft 2'' H x 22ft 3'' W

Holy smokes! I don't know where I would find 6' x 22' space, much less the much larger space to lay out all the pieces! They must color code the backs of the pieces so people can assemble one of the 10 scenes at a time? Even so, each of those 10 puzzles would have over 4,000 pieces! That would have to something passed down through generations to solve! :crazy2:

. . . . . . . . I don't know where I would find 6' x 22' space, much less the much larger space to lay out all the pieces! They must color code the backs of the pieces so people can assemble one of the 10 scenes at a time? . . . . . . . .

Close inspection reveals vertical and horizontal separation lines of each scene. Wow; still a huge challenge!

Ravensburger Disney Puzzle 1.jpg

Happy Weekend, Groupies! It's butt cold here in the mountains of southwest VA (14F) but at least it's sunny for the first time in what seems like weeks. We've had a very wet winter--not much frozen precipitation, thankfully, but lots and lots of rain (I think JT has been in the same boat). Anyway, we were headed toward the dreaded Fold so I thought this a good time to announce the following:

Yep. That's our number! pirate: :flower1:

Mission Space is a fascinating experience using centrifugal forces. That and using the body position was a wonderful "weightless" effect and I enjoyed the engineering aspects of mind and body direction to make a very credible launch experience, along with the moon gravity effects. Great Imagineering! And yes, I know, they offer a less intense version, but what guy wants to be seen in that line? :confused3
Well, I’ll man up and admit that all the warning signs were enough to discourage me . I’ve done the less intense version twice, but never the full experience.

facebook twitter