VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

We check in on the 11/30 until 12/7 so would love to come along to the meet :)
We have CP on the 5th with NPH also & MVMCP on the 3rd, brunch at Cali Grill on our first day also. Super excited, I’ve never been to WDW or even the US during Christmas time so just buzzing to see it all decorated:)
Jo & Steve - probably the only Brits at the meet!
Jo, I am so happy to hear you will be at the meet! You will most likely love the Lodge at Christmas. I may be biased, but, WL is a beautiful resort within itself. But you throw in Christmas decorations, its stunning. It has the most Christmas feel of all the resorts, IMO.
Tammy, our DS Casey and I have been to England so we love talking with folks from there. Her brother and family were stationed at Lackenheath for 5 years and absolutely loved it there. We will be Brits in Spirit :)

We check in on the 11/30 until 12/7 so would love to come along to the meet :)
We have CP on the 5th with NPH also & MVMCP on the 3rd, brunch at Cali Grill on our first day also. Super excited, I’ve never been to WDW or even the US during Christmas time so just buzzing to see it all decorated:)
Jo & Steve - probably the only Brits at the meet!

Sounds like you have a great Christmas holiday trip planned! CP & MVMCP will both get you very much into the spirit of the season! You will love the decorations in the parks and resorts. And Jimmy is right, Wilderness Lodge is a perfectly cozy and beautiful place during the holiday season.

And I'm sure you will enjoy meeting up with some Groupies. Enjoy your trip planning! :santa:

Tammy was finally able to get us connected, albeit temporarily, for a month, until they can get the issues resolved about the D23 3 year plans. She was on live chat at 3am yesterday. All this to share, the first thing we watched, Ep 1 of "The Imagineering Story"

Granny, you, me and history, it all welds together:tilt:. I found it very interesting and entertaining. I saw a ton of footage I had never seen before. I think I am going to be a big fan of Disney Plus.

Jimmy...somehow I had a feeling you would enjoy it! I see that Episode 2 is also posted now, and deals with the Imagineers picking up the creative baton after Walt's passing. I'm looking forward to it!

Jo, I am so happy to hear you will be at the meet! You will most likely love the Lodge at Christmas. I may be biased, but, WL is a beautiful resort within itself. But you throw in Christmas decorations, its stunning. It has the most Christmas feel of all the resorts, IMO.
Tammy, our DS Casey and I have been to England so we love talking with folks from there. Her brother and family were stationed at Lackenheath for 5 years and absolutely loved it there. We will be Brits in Spirit :)
I would go even further and drop the "IMO" bit about the Lodge around the holidays--it IS the best-decorated and most holiday feeling resort, bar none. While other resorts are very nice--and I suggest visiting as many as you can--none can quite compare to our beloved Lodge. Any reasonably worded poll would support that claim. pirate:

Well, I've submitted my resignation, and so I'm off to ... uncertainty. Some people call it retirement. My last official day is Dec 31, but my last work day is Dec 18. I can't wait to meet the groupies on Dec 4. We have dinner at 50's at 4:55, but we'll be back right after that.

Wow...that's some big news! Congratulations!!!...and your upcoming Groupie meet will certainly include some toasts to your impending retirement. I'm very excited to hear that...we've followed your path the past few years from your move to Florida, to a new job, to your retirement announcement. It is well deserved, and I look forward to saying congratulations in person some day. :woohoo:

Sounds like you have a great Christmas holiday trip planned! CP & MVMCP will both get you very much into the spirit of the season! You will love the decorations in the parks and resorts. And Jimmy is right, Wilderness Lodge is a perfectly cozy and beautiful place during the holiday season.

And I'm sure you will enjoy meeting up with some Groupies. Enjoy your trip planning! :santa:
I would go even further and drop the "IMO" bit about the Lodge around the holidays--it IS the best-decorated and most holiday feeling resort, bar none. While other resorts are very nice--and I suggest visiting as many as you can--none can quite compare to our beloved Lodge. Any reasonably worded poll would support that claim. pirate:

Thank you all! Getting SO excited over here in a very cold Blighty!

We’ve mainly come out for 3 weeks at the end of August over the 17 years of DVC ownership to tie in with our long school holidays. Now the kids have grown, it’s back to studios & more frequent 1 week trips during term times, which has opened up the opportunity to come & see Christmas :)

We did the lodge tour in April after recommendations from this thread & just loved it, completely fell in love with our new home, stunning resort ❤️

Looking forward to meeting you all

Thank you all! Getting SO excited over here in a very cold Blighty!

We’ve mainly come out for 3 weeks at the end of August over the 17 years of DVC ownership to tie in with our long school holidays. Now the kids have grown, it’s back to studios & more frequent 1 week trips during term times, which has opened up the opportunity to come & see Christmas :)

We did the lodge tour in April after recommendations from this thread & just loved it, completely fell in love with our new home, stunning resort ❤

Looking forward to meeting you all
Love your signature icons! Prepare to the love of Lodge even more!!

Well, I've submitted my resignation, and so I'm off to ... uncertainty. Some people call it retirement. My last official day is Dec 31, but my last work day is Dec 18. I can't wait to meet the groupies on Dec 4. We have dinner at 50's at 4:55, but we'll be back right after that.
Congratulation!! Such exciting news. The beginning of the next stage.. wishing you the best of everything. Make sure you keep us updated on all the fun stuff you do.

Someday. . .though I don't know if I will ever stop working in some capacity. . .congrats!

Hey groupies! I'm sorry I haven't taken time to check in, I have been reading though. I'm sure I still owe you all some pics. Hmm... maybe I have some in the cloud.

@wildernessDad Congratulations on your retirement! That means it's time to crank up the fun a notch. No more commute alone is huge!

I just booked a quick trip the second week of December. My boys already had rooms I booked for them, I'm going to crash on the sofa in one and in exchange he gets a kitchenette filled with goodies. I procrastinated on attending this trip as I have many worries at home with my parents and geriatric furbabies. Finally decided I need to see my oldest kiddo (it's been over a year). Even though I'll be at Jambo again I'll be touring VWL/WL for sure... the images of the lobby are killing me.

Last edited:
Oh Groupies, its been way too long since I've been to the thread!

DDad and I just returned from a wonderful trip with the family. We had a Grand Villa at SSR in the Grandstand section - it was looking a little ... mmm ... tired. No, we did not get our requested location - a disappointment for sure. But, the family enjoyed it.

Magic happened - literally overnight - at Wilderness Lodge! DDad and I transferred there once the family had returned to Ohio. The 'elves' were out in full force as the entire resort - and villas - were transformed for Christmas. Absolutely wonderful!

Sorry we won't be able to join in any of the Groupie meets this December. I'll miss seeing and meeting all of you! Enjoy the World and all that is has to offer!

DDad and I just returned from a wonderful trip with the family. We had a Grand Villa at SSR in the Grandstand section - it was looking a little ... mmm ... tired. No, we did not get our requested location - a disappointment for sure. But, the family enjoyed it.

Magic happened - literally overnight - at Wilderness Lodge! DDad and I transferred there once the family had returned to Ohio. The 'elves' were out in full force as the entire resort - and villas - were transformed for Christmas. Absolutely wonderful!

Sorry we won't be able to join in any of the Groupie meets this December. I'll miss seeing and meeting all of you! Enjoy the World and all that is has to offer!

Grandstand is our (Kati & me) favorite. We had that area the first time we stayed there and our room overlooked the golf course.

We join you in not being able to join any groupie meets. Kati has said several times that she is sorry we won't be there again this year. She misses it.

Hello groupies. It's been ages since I have been on the DISboards. All it took was some research on an upcoming trip to send me down memory lane. It's been 2 years since we last stayed at VWL. Can't get used to BRV just yet. Brought good friends with us on that one to share our Wilderness Lodge love with. They really loved it too. Hope I have found everyone well. We have a single night stay at home on Feb 8th post cruise. Just needed to have a little taste of it. The 3 nights before our cruise weren't available so we are venturing over to SSR for our 1st time. Loved trying out some of the other resorts and some don't appeal to us at all. But if you were ever to ask my daughter where she wants to stay, she's disappointed if its not VWL. Now to go skim through and see some pictures. Need a little VWL time.....:-)

Hey Folks!!
So Corinne and I have been working back and forth to get a time for a Dec. Groupie Meet together
Here is the plan:

Wednesday Dec. 4 at 8pm at Territory Lounge, Wilderness Lodge. My family will be there by 7:30 to secure some seating. If you get there early, no problem, if later than 8, no problem.

I will reach out to you folks who have trips listed on 1st page for that time but if others are here who aren’t listed please let me know you will be attending so we can make sure to get enough tables to sit.

Afterwards we plan to meet by the new gingerbread houseboat the Lobby for a photo op to share our meet with all our groupie friends here.

Look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones too!

We are hoping to be able to join the Groupie meet ! We're staying at AKL for that part of our trip, so it will be a bit of a haul up. CCV is later in our stay ;-)

SW

Congratulations !

Hopefully we get to see you on the 4th and congratulate you in person.

SW

Quite a busy night for the Groupies last night...great to see so many checking into the thread! :)

Hey groupies! I'm sorry I haven't taken time to check in, I have been reading though. I'm sure I still owe you all some pics. Hmm... maybe I have some in the cloud.

I just booked a quick trip the second week of December. My boys already had rooms I booked for them, I'm going to crash on the sofa in one and in exchange he gets a kitchenette filled with goodies. I procrastinated on attending this trip as I have many worries at home with my parents and geriatric furbabies. Finally decided I need to see my oldest kiddo (it's been over a year). Even though I'll be at Jambo again I'll be touring VWL/WL for sure... the images of the lobby are killing me.

Cindy...great that you were able to grab a quick trip for December...and it will be so nice to see your son again. Best wishes for your parents, pets and yourself as caregiver. :)

Di...so glad to hear that your trip went well with the entire family. And that you were able to view the Lodge in all its resplendent Christmas season glory! 🎅

We join you in not being able to join any groupie meets. Kati has said several times that she is sorry we won't be there again this year. She misses it.

Kathy...nice to hear from the Texas contingent! I know what you mean about missing out on the December fun. We'll both have to remedy that next year so we can meet up again. All the best to you and Princess Kati! princess:

Hello groupies. It's been ages since I have been on the DISboards. All it took was some research on an upcoming trip to send me down memory lane. It's been 2 years since we last stayed at VWL. Can't get used to BRV just yet. Brought good friends with us on that one to share our Wilderness Lodge love with. They really loved it too. Hope I have found everyone well. We have a single night stay at home on Feb 8th post cruise. Just needed to have a little taste of it. The 3 nights before our cruise weren't available so we are venturing over to SSR for our 1st time. Loved trying out some of the other resorts and some don't appeal to us at all. But if you were ever to ask my daughter where she wants to stay, she's disappointed if its not VWL. Now to go skim through and see some pictures. Need a little VWL time.....:-)

Mickeymorse...Thanks for dropping in! And your daughter is one smart lady...sounds like she inherited your VWL Lover gene! :)

We are hoping to be able to join the Groupie meet ! We're staying at AKL for that part of our trip, so it will be a bit of a haul up. CCV is later in our stay ;-)

Starwind...great to hear from you, and nice that you might be able to meet up with the Groupies. It sounds like you have a great trip lined up with AKL and CCV. Enjoy!

Popping in to say hi! Sounds like there are a lot of Groupie trips coming up soon. We're trying for our 1st New Years trip. :eek:

Want do an early Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Kathy...from what I've read, New Years Eve is a crazy time at WDW. I think it is still the single most demanded night for DVC booking, and I'm sure that there is a ton of stuff going on at the parks, the resorts and Disney Springs. Where do you plan to be when the ball drops? party:🎉

Welcome back! And a big welcome to a few others I see who haven't posted a lot lately, either. Life just gets in the way, doesn't it? Anyway, mickeymorse, you will not get an argument from anyone on here whom I know relating to saying VWL vice that other designation. In particular, I almost always call it VWL unless it's someone new who might not know of what I speak. Even then, I usually type "VWL (now known as BRV)" to show my affection for the clearly superior name. At least they didn't rename it, Reflections. pirate:

Only two days of teaching this week, though it's not like the students will pay much attention what with Thanksgiving around the corner. A little colder than normal this time of year, as it has been the past month, truly, so perhaps that will mean a little warmer trend later in winter. One can hope, right?

Speaking of Thanksgiving, and seeing whereas we haven't played any games on here in some time (trivia or otherwise), here's one that struck me.
Name one (or two or three) food that absolutely, positively has to be on your Thanksgiving menu every year (beyond turkey). I'm thinking the items that have been or been made part of your family tradition over the years.
For me, it's two items. First, my wife grew up with bread stuffing. I grew up with cornbread dressing. For our first Thanksgiving, I made her cornbread dressing, and it's been on the menu ever since. Meanwhile, she always made fresh cranberry relish--my family always had the canned stuff. You know, you open the can, slide it onto the plate, and you have a wrinkled log of cranberry, well, jam. Luv always makes hers with fresh cranberries, and ever since she did it the first time, I've wanted them each year since. There are others, but these two stick out to me as we each brought something from our previous lives to our union. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter