• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Good morning all! I hope I'm not intruding. Years ago I lurked on your thread, just wanting to know more about our favorite DVC resort. We've loved The Lodge since we purchased our first contract but had no idea, naive as we were, that you could actually purchase sold out resorts. We bought HHI and we loved it's similar decorating style to The Lodge.

We finally, 15 years later, closed last week on our dream of points at VWL...Disney can call it what they want but in our house it will always be referred to as WL. We've stayed there several times on cash or trade in with another timeshare before DVC sent to RCI. We can't wait to hear that first 'Welcome Home' for our first stay as owners.

Do you mind if I pour a cuppa and join you from time to time?
Congrats and Welcome Home!!! So happy for you.. it really is such a beautiful resort and if they had a sleeper chair in the 1 bedroom we would stay more often. This group as I’m sure you know is the best there is. Everyone is so kind and so very helpful. Congratulations again and we all welcome you!!

Good morning all! I hope I'm not intruding. Years ago I lurked on your thread, just wanting to know more about our favorite DVC resort. We've loved The Lodge since we purchased our first contract but had no idea, naive as we were, that you could actually purchase sold out resorts. We bought HHI and we loved it's similar decorating style to The Lodge.

We finally, 15 years later, closed last week on our dream of points at VWL...Disney can call it what they want but in our house it will always be referred to as WL. We've stayed there several times on cash or trade in with another timeshare before DVC sent to RCI. We can't wait to hear that first 'Welcome Home' for our first stay as owners.

Suzabella...welcome to our little corner of the internet! Pull up a rocker and sit with us here on the front porch of VWL, listening to the crickets and the faint strains of Aaron Copland music.

You are more than welcome to stick around, make comments, and start up conversations. We are joined by a common love of Wilderness Lodge and VWL, and all are welcome to join in. We may get a little off track now and then, but we are always available to answer any questions or provide opinions about any topic regarding WL and VWL.

It's so great that you were able to get a VWL contract. Once you book dates, you can send a message to @sleepydog25 who will post it on the first page of this thread. When vacations overlap, Groupies often get together at WDW. We have fun together, but it's not a requirement for "membership" in this thread! :)

As for your new DVC contract at our beloved VWL....

1.9 Welcome to our home.jpg

I have been away a bit as I don’t like to post negative things or be negative in anyway, I feel it does no good. Our trip is just 58 days away and we are really getting excited. My negativity is towards the MM at AK during our stay. The sign up was a complete disaster. I’m sure you all read how it went with others, I was even at the point of putting all our info in and checking off the disclosures only to be then told “sorry it is sold out”. So very frustrating. It really put a damper on my mood. There it’s done!!! No more negativity from me.
I am still very happy about our upcoming stay. We are doing OKW and then Poly and supposed to switch to Caribbean beach out last night as we will be going offsite most of the day to visit my uncle who lives in Florida. So I feel it’s a waste of money to pay cash at Poly but not sure how I will like the second move.
Have a Magical Day everybody!!

Congratulations on your purchase Suzabella and Welcome Home!!!

I have been away a bit as I don’t like to post negative things or be negative in anyway, I feel it does no good. Our trip is just 58 days away and we are really getting excited. My negativity is towards the MM at AK during our stay. The sign up was a complete disaster. I’m sure you all read how it went with others, I was even at the point of putting all our info in and checking off the disclosures only to be then told “sorry it is sold out”. So very frustrating. It really put a damper on my mood. There it’s done!!! No more negativity from me.
I am still very happy about our upcoming stay. We are doing OKW and then Poly and supposed to switch to Caribbean beach out last night as we will be going offsite most of the day to visit my uncle who lives in Florida. So I feel it’s a waste of money to pay cash at Poly but not sure how I will like the second move.

Wishing you a great trip that more than makes up on missing the Moonlight Magic at AK. It's crazy how varied the sign ups for those go and what a mess they are at times and how there's little issues others. OKW and Poly stay sounds lovely! CB is a location I've never had the pleasure. I so understand the thought of the Poly cash rates being a choker but sometimes the trade off in lost vacation time is worse so I'd be choking a bit but "justify" by the otherwise good deal had with the DVC stay. Just me though! It's Disney World and it'll be great whichever way you go!

Suzabella congratulations!

I was also a former lurker on this thread and bought my VWL points last year about this time. Isn’t it great to finally own there?

As to other news- Country Bear Jamboree is NOT closing. That’s the official WDW announcement. I notice some people seem to get a perverse enjoyment in spreading that rumor every few years. The Country Bears are my favorite attraction in all of WDW. I don’t “do rides” for all intents and purposes. I get motion sickness from the smallest spins and turns and I hate roller coasters, so all these new and exciting rides do nothing for me. I’m glad that someone at Disney appreciates the finer things in life :rotfl2:

It’s happened to me, too.
Enjoy your upcoming trip!

Hey Folks!
Been MIA on the Dis for a few days, though I have been looking in time to time to see what's going on with y'all
Its been crazy busy at work since early spring, and no slow up in sight for awhile. Sells at the local retirement community we do renovations have been sky rocketing! So, other than Sunday, Captain D and I have been going wide open, 6 days, early AM til late PM. Today, we have things to do, but going to take it easy just to catch our breath.

Just know, though Im not here as often as I would like, I still think of you folks often, and long for the days to be back as a regular
I'm sorry. Who are you? :rotfl:

We don't do intruders here--only people who are Groupies or soon will be. ;) So, to that end,:welcome: We're so glad you opted to join in. As others have mentioned, the only requirement to join is a love of the Lodge, and you obviously had/have that. Now that you own points, the emotion is even stronger, I'll bet. Love the fact you call it VWL--it will always be that way to us, as well. None of us hold it against anyone who decides to call it. . .well. . .that other name. However, I bought VWL years ago and so it shall remain, just as it will always be MGM to my wife. I do keep a running log of those who are visiting Disney (not just the Lodge) on Page 1, and if you'd like to be included just shoot me a note here or you can message me. Grab a drink, pull up a rocker (and a spittoon if you need), and join in anytime you like. We're glad you're "home."

On a tangential note, we're headed to HHI in a few days. We love it there, though this will be the first time Luv has stayed there. We travel every other summer to HHI, and we've not been able to secure a room until this year; however, we still visit each time we're there. Love the CMs as we feel they're the best anywhere, and to be that close to fresh seafood. . .oh my. . .what a rush. Anyway, I understand what you mean about feeling similarly about HHI that you do VWL--the theming is prevalent there, and the service is wonderful, so we also get that second home feeling when we visit HHI. Again, welcome!

Thanks Granny for remembering me(apparently Sleepy forgot me:rotfl2:)
I do look forward to seeing what's going on in your worlds and hearing all the latest

Suzabella, you are more than welcome to join in here. We dont require folks to own at VWL, just have a love for it. And its obvious you do:goodvibes

A friend of ours just dropped an interesting "Tip" on parking at a resort in which you are not currently staying . . . . . As we all know, the new standard is that if you are not staying at the resort, or do not have a reservation to eat at the resort, you will not be allowed to park. Our friend likes to eat lunch at different resorts which do not require a reservations and discussed this with the concierge at his resort. He was told "the guards are to first inform you that you can not park at the resort, but will not enforce this if you insist and tell them you will be staying less than 4 hours. Better yet, let the concierge at any current stay resort of your plans and they will call the other resort and make arrangements for parking for you."

Nice tip for those that do not want to visit the other resorts by bus or Monorail.

I was MIA last week. I spent last week at church camp as a counselor in middle of nowhere Alabama. Pretty much no cell phone service. I did see the price hikes in tickets before I left. They are huge in my opinion. I'm not sure we will buy AP's for awhile, unless DVC comes through with a deal of some sort (which I think is highly unlikely). My oldest daughter and I were talking last night about a DVC purchase. Obviously her focus right now is finishing her masters and then paying back all her loans from getting said masters. With the current price of tickets and points, I don't think my kids will likely get to enjoy Disney as much as we were able while they were growing up. It's kind of sad for them, since they have been accustomed to going about once a year. At the cost of those points now, I don't think DH and I could have afforded them in our early adulthood like we did. I really thought we would purchase more points later in life, but I don't see that happening now either. Our next trip will be February for the 1/2 marathon and I'm thinking we won't even buy park tickets for our 5 day stay. Thinking seriously about some Universal tickets or maybe even a day at Seaworld. DD16 will be with us, and she's my least excited about the world anymore (crazy kid). I can't see spending $400ish for a few days of passes, so we probably won't.

I’m really hoping for a new DVC offer next year too! I’m good for 2019 but even the renewal for gold going up $90 stings (and stinks)

I’m really hoping for a new DVC offer next year too! I’m good for 2019 but even the renewal for gold going up $90 stings (and stinks)
Yeah, the problem with Gold is that it has black out dates for many of the school holidays, and that is when we end up going. My youngest is starting her junior year of high school this year, so in two years, it may not be such an issue for us.

Our VWL contract showed in our membership account yesterday! I know you guys understand how much that means to us. So excited. I'm trying to research every angle I can find to save money on Disney gift cards for our kids to be able to join us. We used to buy their tickets but now that we are a group of 6 with the addition of our daughters and I'm currently retired, (in-law) we can only help. Only one time did we use APs in the last 13 years. We ended up going 3 times in 12 months...a rarity for us. We keep wondering, with all the price increases lately, at what point will attendance will start to decline. There's a tipping point for everything so I'd think it would happen at some point. As it is, we have started doing fewer park days per trip. (I'm going to blame price increases rather than our age!) We usually find our way to AKV to grab a bite or VWL to just chill and read a book instead.

Suzy (we abbreviate everyone's names here :) )...congratulations on seeing your points on line! It is an exciting feeling, isn't it? We joined 18 years ago and I can still remember the excitement of having the points and making reservations with them.

I'm trying to research every angle I can find to save money on Disney gift cards for our kids to be able to join us.

One money saving trip is to buy Disney gift cards at Target with the Red Card and save 5% on the purchase. You can then use them to pay off dues or resort charges, and you've trimmed $50 off your costs. You can also buy $500 Disney gift cards at Sam's Club but the discount is more like 3%.

We keep wondering, with all the price increases lately, at what point will attendance will start to decline.

I don't think it will be anytime soon. Disney is taking some huge price increases, but they are also investing heavily in the parks to meet the next generation of park guests. While my generation (baby boomers) have fond, nostalgic memories of Walt Disney and the early years of WDW... we are declining in numbers. And the newer guests are used to these kinds of prices. If you live near a city with professional sports, it typically costs over $100 per person for tickets, parking, etc. to watch one game. And sports attendance does not seem to be declining.

Several friends of mine have paid $6,000 - $10,000 per person to go on European river boat cruises. So there is lots of discretionary income out there, and I think Disney will continue to thrive as long as they keep the park experience high quality. I've often wondered about the tipping point for Disney prices but I see no downward trend in attendance. And with Star Wars opening and the 50th anniversary looming, I expect crowds to get even more insane.

It is probably the crowd factor that will drive me away more than the prices.

Suzy (we abbreviate everyone's names here :) )...congratulations on seeing your points on line! It is an exciting feeling, isn't it? We joined 18 years ago and I can still remember the excitement of having the points and making reservations with them.

That's just fine! My family calls me Suzy. ;-)

One money saving trip is to buy Disney gift cards at Target with the Red Card and save 5% on the purchase. You can then use them to pay off dues or resort charges, and you've trimmed $50 off your costs. You can also buy $500 Disney gift cards at Sam's Club but the discount is more like 3%.

You're on my brain wave!! Ironically, I just applied for a Target card and joined Sam's yesterday for that very reason.

I don't think it will be anytime soon. Disney is taking some huge price increases, but they are also investing heavily in the parks to meet the next generation of park guests. While my generation (baby boomers) have fond, nostalgic memories of Walt Disney and the early years of WDW... we are declining in numbers. And the newer guests are used to these kinds of prices. If you live near a city with professional sports, it typically costs over $100 per person for tickets, parking, etc. to watch one game. And sports attendance does not seem to be declining.

Several friends of mine have paid $6,000 - $10,000 per person to go on European river boat cruises. So there is lots of discretionary income out there, and I think Disney will continue to thrive as long as they keep the park experience high quality. I've often wondered about the tipping point for Disney prices but I see no downward trend in attendance. And with Star Wars opening and the 50th anniversary looming, I expect crowds to get even more insane.

It is probably the crowd factor that will drive me away more than the prices.

I do have friends who won't go to WDW due to cost. One was able to go to Ireland for the same money. We are probably done with Disney cruises. We were able to travel to the UK for 12 days for less than the 2 of us on a 7 day Disney cruise. I just can't justify the expense any longer when there's so much world to explore for less. We are going to more special events like MNSSHP and MVMCP. One to cut cost and because crowds thin out later in the evening.

Crowds...which is why we've been traveling outside of school breaks when it's just us. But with the addition of daughters, we have 2 who are now limited to that school schedule. They both work in schools, one as a teacher and the other as a counselor. That will likely only be in play every couple of years.

I do have friends who won't go to WDW due to cost. One was able to go to Ireland for the same money. We are probably done with Disney cruises. We were able to travel to the UK for 12 days for less than the 2 of us on a 7 day Disney cruise. I just can't justify the expense any longer when there's so much world to explore for less. We are going to more special events like MNSSHP and MVMCP. One to cut cost and because crowds thin out later in the evening.

Crowds...which is why we've been traveling outside of school breaks when it's just us. But with the addition of daughters, we have 2 who are now limited to that school schedule. They both work in schools, one as a teacher and the other as a counselor. That will likely only be in play every couple of years.
We, too, remember the excitement of getting our contracts. Congrats, again! As for the tipping point, unless (I should say until) the next recession, Disney is likely safe. They've added so many events and new builds that it will keep attendance up and crowds heavy which was/is their intent. At some point, because it always does, the economy will slacken, and then Disney may have to dream up some new ways to entice visitors since I don't know that at the current (and future) price points they'll be able to drive in new patrons. But, that's not my worry. Like you, we'll continue to go but we are done with APs unless we get FL resident ones some day, and our park days now consists of a few hours vice all day. We have DVC, so we'll continue to stay onsite, but we've already begun to spend our discretionary funds elsewhere.

Welcome and congrats, Suzabella!
The price of AP's is the reason Kati and I only go every 2 or more years and try to either do a really long trip or a couple in the AP time frame.

Prices soaring in everything these days it seems. As Granny said, sporting events, movies, concerts, it all is getting out of hand. IMO, we (DISers and Groupies) are so close to the cusp of Disney/WDW that we are affected by it on a weekly, maybe even daily in some instances, when rumors swirl (recently CBJ and ETR rumors for ex.) ticket prices soar, etc.

I remember in 99 when we 1st started going to WDW, daily tickets were around $34. I thought back then, are they crazy! Look at it today though, $105 maybe? $70 increase in 20 yrs.

Same is true of Panthers games. T and I went to several games a few years ago, then Cam Newton came along and the tickets soared. Sitting in the upper deck was $50 range, now $150 or more. Braves games, decent seats in $20 range, now $70. Concerts, I saw Van Halen for $11 in 81, now, way in to the 100s.

I will continue going to WDW, I will continue buying AP's but will be more selective about how often we will buy. I find myself being more content to not be in the parks, it almost secondary now.

I do remind myself to be glad I am a DVCer because it still affords me some really nice accommodations that I would be spending a small fortune on if paying cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter