VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 14 June 2024

I ran across this article on the changes to MK bag check and it wasn't exactly what I was thinking so thought I'd share. I still find it interesting that they somehow separate and wonder what they'd do if you wanted if you saw the other side had a lull and you wanted to go over there? Anyhoo - what I didn't understand is that they've actually increased the number of checkers. With WDW seemingly cutting back in every possible area that didn't even cross my mind as being a possibility. :crazy:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...s-bag-check-capacity-at-the-main-entrance.htm

Of course I remember back to when this area was open - prior to the bag check process that we've all come to know and um, "love". :rolleyes1

Okay...NOW I get it!

I thought they were still just using the original bag check lines and just sending one group to one side and one to the other.

Seeing the pictures and reading the article I see that the bus & ferry arrivals will be using the previous exit lanes...the ones by guest services (to the far right as you stand looking at the railroad station from the outside). And the "old" baggage check lines will handle the boat & monorail arrivals.

So basically they have increased the quantity of baggage check lines to allow people to get into the parks sooner and start spending money!

My understanding is that they are also now doing the metal detectors on all guests (it was on 20% of the guests when we went in April according to two different detector operators). So hopefully they've dramatically increased those as well so we don't just move the congestion from one area to the other.

Thanks, Kathy! This makes much more sense now.

Okay...NOW I get it!

I thought they were still just using the original bag check lines and just sending one group to one side and one to the other.

Seeing the pictures and reading the article I see that the bus & ferry arrivals will be using the previous exit lanes...the ones by guest services (to the far right as you stand looking at the railroad station from the outside). And the "old" baggage check lines will handle the boat & monorail arrivals.

So basically they have increased the quantity of baggage check lines to allow people to get into the parks sooner and start spending money!

My understanding is that they are also now doing the metal detectors on all guests (it was on 20% of the guests when we went in April according to two different detector operators). So hopefully they've dramatically increased those as well so we don't just move the congestion from one area to the other.

Worth repeating the pertinent portions of the above.....

"bus & ferry arrivals will be using the previous exit lanes...the ones by guest services (to the far right).
"the "old" baggage check lines will handle the boat & monorail arrivals."

Take the WL boat, avoid the bus. AVOID the mass local arrivals on the ferry. All your choice. WE are getting on the boats. We've SEEN the Ferry unload mob scenes....

All personal opinion - I'm not right, no one else is wrong.

I'm just popping in to say hi to all of my fellow Lodgers and let you know that I was laughing at myself today as I played around with the points calculator, thinking longingly ahead to our next stay at VWL in 2017...you know, 17 months from now :p! I'm sure you can all appreciate that feeling.

Okay...NOW I get it!

That's exactly what I was originally picturing too Granny! That they had just divided what has been the bag check area so once I saw the pictures it all started to make a little more sense. Not 100% mind you because the drop offs of monorail and ferry may not be concurrent so one area is empty while the other is slammed but if they really are sending everyone thru metal detectors now they would have to increase the number of checkers or some AP's or repeat visitors might just turn around and not spend their money! The horror! :rotfl:

Thanks for the warm welcome y'all!

Regarding the security situation, I sincerely hope they work out a more efficient method of processing the crowds. Can y'all imagine how it will be during Christmas time?

Hi Everyone - I am not sure why I am not a "member" here other than plain old silliness on my part! We are VWL owners and we have a few days booked at Christmas! CAN. NOT. WAIT!!!!! Obviously we love love love VWL! Happy Weekend everyone! :cool1:
Welcome, gabriellyn!! Obviously, since you own at VWL you love the Lodge, and that's our lone requirement for entry to our happy band. As others have said, pull up a rocker and set a spell. We love to hear about trips and share our feelings about Disney. Most on here will tell you that we're one big "social" family, a place where you can come to share successes, experiences, happy times, and even to share in sorrow. We're glad you've finally "joined." ::yes:: If you're interested, I keep a list of members' trips on Page 1 (just PM me), and KAT4DISNEY keeps anniversaries and birthdays. Neither is required, of course, just a fun thing we do. I might add that there is BHGM (Big Honking Groupie Meet) in December. Just check Page 1 to see if you'll be there during the same time--I'm sure all the Groupies at the World then would love to meet you! (P.S., I've suspended the $50 initiation fee just 'cause I feel like it. See, Groupies? I'm not always grunchy! pirate:)

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm late AGAIN! Just coming out of a hard workin' weekend (that's what they're for, right?!?) But . . . .
party:Welcome gabriellyn !!party:

Welcome, gabriellyn!! Obviously, since you own at VWL you obviously love the Lodge, and that's our lone requirement for entry to our happy band. As others have said, pull up a rocker and set a spell. We love to hear about trips and share our feelings about Disney. Most on here will tell you that we're one big "social" family, a place where you can come to share successes, experiences, happy times, and even to share in sorrow. We're glad you've finally "joined." ::yes:: If you're interested, I keep a list of members' trips on Page 1 (just PM me), and KAT4DISNEY keeps anniversaries and birthdays. Neither is required, of course, just a fun thing we do. I might add that there is BHGM (Big Honking Groupie Meet) in December. Just check Page 1 to see if you'll be there during the same time--I'm sure all the Groupies at the World then would love to meet you! (P.S., I've suspended the $50 initiation fee just 'cause I feel like it. See, Groupies? I'm not always grunchy! pirate:)

Hahahahaha! Thanks! So glad to be on board here now! Happy Monday Y'all!

Sorry, I'm late AGAIN! Just coming out of a hard workin' weekend (that's what they're for, right?!?) But . . . .
party:Welcome gabriellyn !!party:

Thanks so much!
:mickeyjum

Gabrielle so very nice to have you here! Welcome to the Groupies!

Has Julie left yet? Enjoy your adventure!

Has Julie left yet? Enjoy your adventure!

Hello Di! :)

I think Julie's departure date is today. So she may very well already be started on her trip to New Zealand.

This is me being green with envy but happy for Julie! > :thumbsup2

Been pretty quiet around here. Hopefully horselover made it safely to New Zealand by now. Looking forward to more pictures of that beautiful country! :)

I've been getting the itch for WDW lately...usually my countdown calendar is pretty low at this time of year as we have been going in September and October. But with our December trip being the next one, the countdown calendar is still in 3 digit territory. :sad2: But I am looking forward to the Big Honkin' Groupie Meet in December to meet new friends and catch up with some old ones! :grouphug:

Been pretty quiet around here. Hopefully horselover made it safely to New Zealand by now. Looking forward to more pictures of that beautiful country! :)

I've been getting the itch for WDW lately...usually my countdown calendar is pretty low at this time of year as we have been going in September and October. But with our December trip being the next one, the countdown calendar is still in 3 digit territory. :sad2: But I am looking forward to the Big Honkin' Groupie Meet in December to meet new friends and catch up with some old ones! :grouphug:

When is the Big Honkin' Groupie Meet? Before or after Christmas day. We arrive on the 27th of December. Will that be too late? We are going to stay at the lodge. We have decided that regardless of the mess it is still our preferred location.

We don't have a trip back to the world planned any time soon (THE HORROR), but my BF and I are definitely starting get the itch. Here's something funny. So, I'm the vacation planner. And out of the blue this week, BF says we should go back, let's book a trip for later this year.

LOL!! Silly man! Does he think I plan our vacations 11 months in advance because I like it?? :rotfl: Wait. I do like it, but the reason I even started doing that was because of DVC. lol. *sigh* I was able to cobble 3 nights together in December for our anniversary and could move our cruise to make something work, but not sure it's going to happen.

Back to the drawing board. :)

When is the Big Honkin' Groupie Meet? Before or after Christmas day. We arrive on the 27th of December. Will that be too late? We are going to stay at the lodge. We have decided that regardless of the mess it is still our preferred location.

The BHGM (as named by corinne) is scheduled for December 12...sorry! But I'm sure you are going to have a great time at the lodge!

We don't have a trip back to the world planned any time soon (THE HORROR), but my BF and I are definitely starting get the itch. Here's something funny. So, I'm the vacation planner. And out of the blue this week, BF says we should go back, let's book a trip for later this year.

LOL!! Silly man! Does he think I plan our vacations 11 months in advance because I like it?? :rotfl: Wait. I do like it, but the reason I even started doing that was because of DVC. lol. *sigh* I was able to cobble 3 nights together in December for our anniversary and could move our cruise to make something work, but not sure it's going to happen.

Back to the drawing board. :)

Well, the good news is your BF is excited about returning to WDW. So that's half the battle already won! Now you just have to work on his 11 month planning skills! :)

Good luck in getting everything to work out for your anniversary trip!

Me too Granny! The last time I was there was in march, stayed 2 nights at OKW, no park visit, but prepping for the cruise. It seems like eons ago!! Dec. can't get here soon enough. We do have an Aulani trip in Sept too look forward too so not complaining, but WDW is (in the words of Willie Nelson)Always On My Mind:D

Anyone planning to call for 2017's MC? DH said he'll come, and I'm excited for the ports, St Thomas, Tortola a CC, and then 3 days at sea to enjoy DVC things!

Bobbi:boat:

Anyone planning to call for 2017's MC? DH said he'll come, and I'm excited for the ports, St Thomas, Tortola a CC, and then 3 days at sea to enjoy DVC things!

Bobbi:boat:
We thought about it until realizing we'd need a second mortgage to pay for it. :crazy2: Seriously, we gave some thought to it, but we'd have to skip going to the World for a couple of cycles to do it. When we win the lottery, we'll pay for all the Groupies who want to go. :sail:

facebook twitter