VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 14 June 2024

WHAT!? No comments since Monday? Okay, first let me take care of a Disney PSA.

Glitter.

Going on six weeks after the end of the Christmas season, and I still find glitter in rooms that I inspect. It ain't from kids' art projects, folks. So, next season, consider not having anything associated with glitter including wrapping paper, cards, gifts, and tree decorations. Thank you.
pirate: pirate: Just a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor above...though it is true that glitter is no friend to Mousekeeping, just sayin'.

Second, I'm starting an informal poll...
What would each of you Groupies prefer, the current winter storm of the week dumping anywhere from 4-12" of snow depending on location, or a massive storm that dumped 12-36" of snow (again location dependent) and being socked in at home for well over a week?

Hope all the Groupies are staying warm, safe, and dry this weekend!
Living in SE Michigan I’m used to occasional snowfalls of 8-10 inches and more frequent 2-6 inch snow events. Anything less than 8-10 in is a nuisance snowfall. I have never experienced a snowfall greater than 19 inches. That was back in 1974, and everything was shut down for days.

So, my vote is for the frequent smaller snowfalls.

That is strange because we have had more than 19" here at the Jersey shore a few times in the last 7-8 years. Not often of course. Last week we got 16-19" in my town, it varied.

I like the 6-8" snowfall ones, it's enough to stop things but fairly easy to shovel. Some years we only get a 6" and a couple of 2-4" though, or nothing over 5" at all.

Overall I like snow, if it has to be cold, let it snow too. Ice storms are another story, NO thanks.

Well, I prevented a fall, but the impact with my cane caused a shoulder injury, not broken, went to ER last night, but we have cancelled the WDW part of our vacation. I would prefer to see an orthopedic doctor at home.

So, no Groupies meeting for me. :guilty:

Bobbi! Nooo. :oops:

What happened? Is your arm functional?

I'm so very sorry about this all. The sooner you have it looked at and treated the better. Heal up... those Disney waterslides will wait for you 🤣

WHAT!? No comments since Monday? Okay, first let me take care of a Disney PSA.

Glitter.

Going on six weeks after the end of the Christmas season, and I still find glitter in rooms that I inspect. It ain't from kids' art projects, folks. So, next season, consider not having anything associated with glitter including wrapping paper, cards, gifts, and tree decorations. Thank you.
pirate: pirate: Just a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor above...though it is true that glitter is no friend to Mousekeeping, just sayin'.

Second, I'm starting an informal poll...
What would each of you Groupies prefer, the current winter storm of the week dumping anywhere from 4-12" of snow depending on location, or a massive storm that dumped 12-36" of snow (again location dependent) and being socked in at home for well over a week?

Hope all the Groupies are staying warm, safe, and dry this weekend!
You forgot the option where the snow falls only on the places where kids want to play and areas that look nice, but won't impact driving or cause tree limbs to fall. That's my favorite type.

Last edited:
That is strange because we have had more than 19" here at the Jersey shore a few times in the last 7-8 years. Not often of course. Last week we got 16-19" in my town, it varied.

I like the 6-8" snowfall ones, it's enough to stop things but fairly easy to shovel. Some years we only get a 6" and a couple of 2-4" though, or nothing over 5" at all.

Overall I like snow, if it has to be cold, let it snow too. Ice storms are another story, NO thanks.
Never had a hurricane here either :joker:

Bobbi! Nooo. :oops:

What happened? Is your arm functional?

I'm so very sorry about this all. The sooner you have it looked at and treated the better. Heal up... those Disney waterslides will wait for you 🤣
Nothing is broken, and now we are home. A heating pad was suggested. I have a bit more movement every day.

Thank you for:thumbsup2 your suggestion about holding off water slides! Suggestion taken.

It's a balmy 40 out today near Cape Cod. Sunshine bliss.

Dan, We'll be praying for you as you trek to the Sunshine State's 60s. Bring the Arctic gear if you have it!

If you can, post a few pics of the grounds for us. Forgetting if the trees are starting to re-grown their leaves around now (I think so).

Last edited:
It's a balmy 40 out today near the Cape of the Cod Fishies. Sunshine bliss.

Dan, We'll be praying for you as you trek to the Sunshine State's 60s. Bring the Arctic gear if you have it!

If you can, post a few pics of the grounds for us. Forgetting if the trees are starting to re-grown their leaves around now (I think so).
Photos of here or there? LOL

Hi All,
I was just reading a few facts from the Q1 earnings. I find I am only able to read reports in small doses. Rather than go into a full on rant, which I don’t want to subject myself or my fellow Groupies to, suffice to say, I’m really sad. We’ve always experienced change in terms of Disney, but I fear they have really priced most people out, and I am pretty confident that our frequent visits will be a thing of the past. I hope I am wrong, only time will tell.

Hi all. I've been awol for a bit. Just lurking. Husband and I both came down with Covid around NYE. We're back to normal with no major issues.

Sad to say, we were planning a year of Disney to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. Read - several trips staying in resorts we've never stayed in. The pause on AP's put a halt on that. Our next trip the VWL was to be in September with friends who have never been. We've decided to move our reservation from VWL when the 7 month window opens up. We're going to use as many points as possible with no intention of planning another trip next year. The lack of renovation and the current situation at WDW has left a bad taste in our mouth. If we do go again next year, we won't be doing parks but will enjoy a resort stay and some time at Universal. It makes me sad but....

Hope you're feeling better Bobbi!!

We got the ice storm part of the last event. We've been above freezing since Sunday and there are still piles of ice. We got 2 inches of freezing rain and sleet with 2 inches of snow on top of that. I'll take the snow. Do. Not. Like. Ice storms.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I was just reading a few facts from the Q1 earnings. I find I am only able to read reports in small doses. Rather than go into a full on rant, which I don’t want to subject myself or my fellow Groupies to, suffice to say, I’m really sad. We’ve always experienced change in terms of Disney, but I fear they have really priced most people out, and I am pretty confident that our frequent visits will be a thing of the past. I hope I am wrong, only time will tell.
Agreed.
It's an argument that's been held over decades though, Disney's too expensive... yet people still find ways to afford it.
Whatever is a priority will find a way to be had. When I bought into DVC I was newly divorced, single mom with 2 kids still in elementary and middle school. No support from their dad. It was tough to make ends meet some months, but I did it. Disney was our once a year escape and owning DVC saved money and my sanity.

I don't want to upset you, but what in particular are you finding to be the issue? Is it the cost of DVC itself? Keep in mind the starting salaries for kids out of school (STEM degrees this is as it's what I'm familiar with) is now double what it was when I was fresh out.

facebook twitter