VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I saw .38 Special at last year's festival. Loved them! This year I'm getting no one good. :sad2: I really would love to see Jeffrey Osbourne, but every year he never is there on my dates. :sad1: Have a great trip!

I'm looking forward to them! We have groups I know and others I had to look up but all of them this year are ones I've never seen. We'll make an effort to see American Authors and Christopher Cross too and the others will just happen if we're there. The one on my list that I keep missing is Dennis DeYoung - he's there just after we leave this year!

I'm not going to bore any Groupies with my continuing point transfer saga. Let's just say that I had no idea how challenging it was to not only make a transfer of points but also to use them. Didn't know you can't use them for online reservations. :headache:

And that's why I stopped bothering with transfers and just link. Of course see where that got me this time! Usually though it's been fine though. I was curious because I was getting the impression you had the points visible online and I didn't think that could happen between UY's. Sorry it's not working out as well as hoped. :(

And that's why I stopped bothering with transfers and just link. Of course see where that got me this time! Usually though it's been fine though. I was curious because I was getting the impression you had the points visible online and I didn't think that could happen between UY's. Sorry it's not working out as well as hoped. :(

Hey, it's all good. It's just that I'm going for a VGC studio so my guess is that it will be gone by the time MS opens tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. EDT. My fallback is one of the hotels near DL...I just have been wanting to stay at VGC since it reminds me so much of the Lodge. We'll see what happens tomorrow. :)

Hey, it's all good. It's just that I'm going for a VGC studio so my guess is that it will be gone by the time MS opens tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. EDT. My fallback is one of the hotels near DL...I just have been wanting to stay at VGC since it reminds me so much of the Lodge. We'll see what happens tomorrow. :)

Do you have enough points to book at least the first day online? If so then book online what you can at 8am and then call in when MS opens at 9am and add the nights you'll use the transferred points for.

Hello all! I've been very MIA on the boards though I sneak in occasionally to catch up on trip reports. Praying for the health of all those in need and all affected by the recent hurricanes. We, in GA, were somewhat effected, and school was closed for 3 days. But all in all, we are okay!

Some of you may remember we are in the process of purchasing a resale contract at BRV and we seemed to have a hold up a few weeks ago so I had to email to check on it and discovered a step I needed to complete but no one had told me I needed to do. So I wonder how fast the process could have been completed had I known. No matter now, all closing docs were sent in on Wednesday 9/6 and received the next day. I was told that closing would be scheduled shortly and we would be notified once complete. I have not heard a word but with Irma, I'm assuming that caused a delay. Our closing by date is 9/19 so I'm hoping it's in the next few days!

Do you have enough points to book at least the first day online? If so then book online what you can at 8am and then call in when MS opens at 9am and add the nights you'll use the transferred points for.

Great idea, Kathy. Thanks!

Hello all! I've been very MIA on the boards though I sneak in occasionally to catch up on trip reports. Praying for the health of all those in need and all affected by the recent hurricanes. We, in GA, were somewhat effected, and school was closed for 3 days. But all in all, we are okay!

Some of you may remember we are in the process of purchasing a resale contract at BRV and we seemed to have a hold up a few weeks ago so I had to email to check on it and discovered a step I needed to complete but no one had told me I needed to do. So I wonder how fast the process could have been completed had I known. No matter now, all closing docs were sent in on Wednesday 9/6 and received the next day. I was told that closing would be scheduled shortly and we would be notified once complete. I have not heard a word but with Irma, I'm assuming that caused a delay. Our closing by date is 9/19 so I'm hoping it's in the next few days!

Good luck to a speedy conclusion to your purchase! We'll toss some Moose Dust (our version of pixie dust) your way for good luck!

I'm looking forward to them! We have groups I know and others I had to look up but all of them this year are ones I've never seen. We'll make an effort to see American Authors and Christopher Cross too and the others will just happen if we're there. The one on my list that I keep missing is Dennis DeYoung - he's there just after we leave this year!

We are leaving 2 days early to catch Dennis DeYoung. He puts on a full Styx show, you just have to see all 3 sets! I over heard one of his band members after a show at the BelleVue Lounge taking about how its a bit confusing for Dennis as its like having to take an intermission twice in a show. He has so much material he can cover that you truly need to see all 3 sets. He is still as good as in his heydays.

Would love to catch 38 Special but like you say about Dennis, we keep missing 38 Special. Saw them a couple times many yrs ago. Would love Tammy and Casey to see them though.

Our other acts we see this year are Taylor Dayne, Jeffrey Osbourne, Postmodern Jukebox(don't know much about them, but seems interesting)and 10,000 Maniacs

I love this time of year at WDW, Halloween in full bloom, F&W Fest wide open and musical acts I typically wouldn't see otherwise

We are leaving 2 days early to catch Dennis DeYoung. He puts on a full Styx show, you just have to see all 3 sets! I over heard one of his band members after a show at the BelleVue Lounge taking about how its a bit confusing for Dennis as its like having to take an intermission twice in a show. He has so much material he can cover that you truly need to see all 3 sets. He is still as good as in his heydays.

Would love to catch 38 Special but like you say about Dennis, we keep missing 38 Special. Saw them a couple times many yrs ago. Would love Tammy and Casey to see them though.

Our other acts we see this year are Taylor Dayne, Jeffrey Osbourne, Postmodern Jukebox(don't know much about them, but seems interesting)and 10,000 Maniacs

I love this time of year at WDW, Halloween in full bloom, F&W Fest wide open and musical acts I typically wouldn't see otherwise

Oh - nice Jimmy!!! I was sooooooo tempted to stay longer but it's already a nice long trip so I decided on some other time. The rest of Styx were in Reno this summer but I'm really a fan of many of the songs Dennis DeYoung spearheaded and from what I've heard many are not performed by Styx. So when the timing wasn't the best we decided to skip them although if it had worked out better we would have gone. When I finally see DeYoung (and it has crossed my mind to change any plans to fit it in) I'll plan on all the shows! :cutie:

@Granny - crossing fingers you got the VGC reservation!

Oh - nice Jimmy!!! I was sooooooo tempted to stay longer but it's already a nice long trip so I decided on some other time. The rest of Styx were in Reno this summer but I'm really a fan of many of the songs Dennis DeYoung spearheaded and from what I've heard many are not performed by Styx. So when the timing wasn't the best we decided to skip them although if it had worked out better we would have gone. When I finally see DeYoung (and it has crossed my mind to change any plans to fit it in) I'll plan on all the shows! :cutie:

I agree, that would be a nice one to attend. Jimmy...I'm sure you'll enjoy it completely! :)

@Granny - crossing fingers you got the VGC reservation!

I struck out. Had the browser set and kept getting the "not yet" message. Then it went through and asked me to accept it. I did and got an error screen. By the time I reloaded the screen (about 12 seconds later), the studios were all gone. Not a big deal, we'll just stay off site. And I'll use those transferred points somehow, though now it turns out that I had no purpose in transferring them in the first place. This has been a good learning opportunity for me, and Kathy I appreciate your tips along the way. Thank you.

I struck out. Had the browser set and kept getting the "not yet" message. Then it went through and asked me to accept it. I did and got an error screen. By the time I reloaded the screen (about 12 seconds later), the studios were all gone. Not a big deal, we'll just stay off site. And I'll use those transferred points somehow, though now it turns out that I had no purpose in transferring them in the first place. This has been a good learning opportunity for me, and Kathy I appreciate your tips along the way. Thank you.

:( Bummer Granny!

I'd set up a waitlist for the stay and for the next couple of days just check back and see if someone is walking their reservation. More than once I've gotten reservations as the walkers move on and VGC has been surprisingly good for waitlists filling over time too. I've even had waitlists fill within a couple of hours of getting shut out at 8am. Just book something you can cancel for offsite if the waitlist matches. Last bits of advice and good luck! :teeth: I love VGC and think it's always worth trying for. :)

KAT
Dennis DeYoung was definitely the heart and soul of the original band. I have seen Styx part 2 and though they are good, its not the same without Dennis. In his band now, his DW sings backup(she is the lady behind the song Babe)and his band does a great job of mimicking the voices of Tommy Shaw and James Young

Would love to see Christopher Cross. I am more into the 70s and 80s bands with a few 60s thrown into the mix. This new stuff does absolutely nothing for me. Country even stinks IMO. Nothing but a bunch of pretty boys singing about girls, trucks, drinking, etc. Where are the George Jones' and Merle Haggard's of the world when you need them? Now those guys sang with some feeling

So much catching up to do! The school teacher life has been crazy busy and I was several pages behind!

Glad that everyone seems to be okay after the storm. Having been raised in Florida, and now living in coastal Alabama, these storms have always been a concern for us. But Irma was a big concern. That was one huge storm!

Ariel, so happy to hear that your resale is moving along. Hopefully it will close on time.

Granny, sorry about your VGC reservation, maybe something will come available if you waitlist.

I somehow missed the 7th month window for spring break. Not sure what I was thinking??? We have our one bedroom reserved at BRV and have had since our 11month window opened. But part of me really wants to try the Polynesian villas. DH will probably not be thrilled to change from a 1 bed to a studio, but those spring break points are killer, and I'd really like to conserve points so that I can plan the Aulani trip for next December for our 25th wedding anniversary. I went ahead and waitlisted the whole week because 3 days weren't available. Not really sure I want to give up the lodge though.... difficult decisions. While I was checking availability the member website wasn't working worth a hoot. Every time I would preform a search, it would keep redirecting me to the page about discount tickets. Very frustrating!

Lucky you! You're getting Jeffrey Osbourne who I'd love to see more than anyone. If I had kept my original reservations I would have caught Dennis DeYoung. I get Toad the Wet Sprocket. No clue. Kenny G. Meh. Not a huge fan but if I'm in the area I'll stop. Billy Ocean. Meh.

I agree, that would be a nice one to attend. Jimmy...I'm sure you'll enjoy it completely! :)

Sorry Granny. I too am looking for a studio for 2 nights at VGC in March. Just started looking 2 weeks ago so I'm way behind the ball. I'm not optimistic especially since it's the week preceeding Easter. I've got a cash reservation booked at DL resort just in case. Hate paying cash though. I'm only doing a 2 night stay so I want to be on site to take advantage of the early entrance benefit.

Lucky you! You're getting Jeffrey Osbourne who I'd love to see more than anyone. If I had kept my original reservations I would have caught Dennis DeYoung. I get Toad the Wet Sprocket. No clue. Kenny G. Meh. Not a huge fan but if I'm in the area I'll stop. Billy Ocean. Meh.
Of all the new ones I have never seen, J. Osbourne is who I am looking forward to seeing the most. I am sorry you are going to miss him. I know how you feel about missing an act you like by a day or two. We seem to miss 38 Special every time. BTW, go see Kenny G. He is really good in concert. Tammy is sad she is missing this one by a few days. We saw him so long ago, Whitney Houston opened for him!! That was her 1st tour.

Speaking of music, we saw Boz Scaggs last night. I put on my 70s cap and got down and boogied(what that means is I sat in my seat and wiggled my behind a bit:D). I have wanted to see him since 1976 when Silk Degrees came out. I helped my DB wear out his 8 track tape of the album while driving his truck(I was 11 BTW, but our road in those days saw one car pass by daily so not much chance of getting stopped, plus had been driving a tractor since being a wee kid. Boz put on a good show as he is a master musician. I have thought he would be a great one to see at WDW doing one of their festivals.

Sending prayers out for all those in the path of Maria.
I don't think (hope) we have any groupies down around the islands, what a year: Fires, floods, hurricanes. I'm hoping mother nature settles down soon.

Last edited:
Sending prayers going out for all those in the path of Maria.
I don't think (hope) we don't have any groupies down around the islands, what a year: Fires, floods, hurricanes. I'm hoping mother nature settles down soon.

I've got some clients on St. Lucia right now. They arrived on Sun. Figures. :sad2: I haven't heard from them so I'm going to have to assume they're doing ok & dealing with the rain & wind. I hope it clears up for them by tomorrow. I hope Puerto Rico makes it out of this ok. :worried:

Hello, Everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself to the page. We are new DVC owners, just closed on our BRV resale package in July, and added some more direct points yesterday in what was potentially the easiest transaction ever (10 minutes total). We are a family of four with my DH, DD (8yo), and DS (5yo). We stayed at Wilderness Lodge on our first major Disney trip as a family last October and simply fell in love with The Lodge and Disney World. It suits us down to the ground. The children beg to go back there as soon as we can manage. After much discussion and research we decided to join the DVC family. Now we are excited to embark on our full fledged journey! We are headed down to Florida for Christmas this year (in-laws have a vacation house in Estero) and we decided to tack on a few days in Disney at either the beginning or the end. Looks like it will be Dec 21-24 as we have a gaping hole in the reservation from Jan 2-5 (just no rooms anywhere for Jan 3-4). I prefer the December one anyway, so if the January wait list doesn't come through, it's all good. We aren't planning on doing the parks, we are just desperate to be able to enjoy some Disney time to tide us over until our next big trip, which will be November 2018. We are staying at Saratoga Springs for this go around since we want to check out Disney Springs. But we plan to see the resorts decked out in all their holiday finery on one of the days. We can't wait to see how beautiful the Lodge looks at Christmas and see all the new additions. I've heard it's gorgeous, and I am a Christmas NUT!

I'm sure I will be full of questions as I learn to navigate everything in this process. Disney sure doesn't make it easy. So thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Hello, Everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself to the page. We are new DVC owners, just closed on our BRV resale package in July, and added some more direct points yesterday in what was potentially the easiest transaction ever (10 minutes total). We are a family of four with my DH, DD (8yo), and DS (5yo). We stayed at Wilderness Lodge on our first major Disney trip as a family last October and simply fell in love with The Lodge and Disney World. It suits us down to the ground. The children beg to go back there as soon as we can manage. After much discussion and research we decided to join the DVC family. Now we are excited to embark on our full fledged journey! We are headed down to Florida for Christmas this year (in-laws have a vacation house in Estero) and we decided to tack on a few days in Disney at either the beginning or the end. Looks like it will be Dec 21-24 as we have a gaping hole in the reservation from Jan 2-5 (just no rooms anywhere for Jan 3-4). I prefer the December one anyway, so if the January wait list doesn't come through, it's all good. We aren't planning on doing the parks, we are just desperate to be able to enjoy some Disney time to tide us over until our next big trip, which will be November 2018. We are staying at Saratoga Springs for this go around since we want to check out Disney Springs. But we plan to see the resorts decked out in all their holiday finery on one of the days. We can't wait to see how beautiful the Lodge looks at Christmas and see all the new additions. I've heard it's gorgeous, and I am a Christmas NUT!

I'm sure I will be full of questions as I learn to navigate everything in this process. Disney sure doesn't make it easy. So thanks in advance for any help you can give!
:welcome: HOME! Congratulations on your DVC purchase, and special congrats on making said purchase at VWL (I know it changed to BRV but I just can't call it that). I think you summed it best when you said, "It suits us down to the ground." Perfectly said!

We're glad you found us, as well. If you haven't done so already, take some time to read over Page 1 for some fun information and to learn a little more about this wonderful band of brothers and sisters. We love having new Groupies join us (since the only criteria to join is a love of the Lodge, you obviously qualify), and we look forward to hearing more from you. We do keep a list of visits on Page 1, along with a Birthdays & Annivesaries list, so if you feel as though you want to add to those, simply PM me for the former and KAT4DISNEY with the latter. Don't feel obligated to do so; it's strictly on a "if you want to" basis.

Again, welcome! I see you already grabbed yourself a Groupie Moose pic, so all that's left is to pull up a rocker, grab a libation, and get to know your new neighbors!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter