Volume of scrims/walls up in the parks fall 2018

AuntieKels

Mouseketeer
I've been watching a vlog that follows construction happening at DLR (Fresh Baked) and it seems to me like Disney has more scrims/walls up than usual at this time of year. I totally understand the known large projects but do they usually do their refreshing projects at this time of year? I thought it was more of a post Christmas thing. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Do you think this is just the push before opening Star Wars land?

From what I have read about them online most of the scrims/walls are up to allow for wider walkways in prep for Star Wars opening next year. It does seem like a lot though, and I worry about how it will feel being there in October with all the walls up and lagoons drained, etc.

I've been watching a vlog that follows construction happening at DLR (Fresh Baked) and it seems to me like Disney has more scrims/walls up than usual at this time of year. I totally understand the known large projects but do they usually do their refreshing projects at this time of year? I thought it was more of a post Christmas thing. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Do you think this is just the push before opening Star Wars land?
It is an unusual amount of repairs going on for this time of year. This would be expected typically Late Jan-March.
It is presumed this is to prep everything for SWGE as they will likely have a lot of other stuff down Jan-March they are trying to spread out the work over more time.

I will arrive in DL on Monday. I, too, and saddened by all the construction and closures. I'm taking my family for the first time, and of course, I want everything to be perfect. But I know we will have an amazing time no matter what! And I should probably cut Disney some slack on World of Color, as that was a freak accident. And although I will miss the Matterhorn, I would rather have access to Space Mountain and BTMR any day.

Anybody know what's up with the walled off river in DL?

It seems like the parks will be in constant construction until Star Wars opens next summer. Much like before the 60th anniversary but probably worse. I can't imagine how bad it will be come February. It will make for a great opening of Galaxies Edge but a lesser experience for those who come before.

Let’s make a list!

Walls around the Matterhorn
Walls around the Adventureland Hub Path
Walls around the Frontierland Hub Path
Walls around the Left of Sleeping Beauty’s Castle
Walls around the Tiki Room
Walls around the “Tropical Hideaway”
Walls around the left side of Main Street
Walls around Bug’s Life
Walls around Pixar Pier’s Carousel
Walls around "Inside Out" Spinner
World of Color floating dead in the water
Walls around Animation Academy

Are the Walls covering the Tangaroa Terrace yet? How about the Grand Californian Pool for that new bar?

How about the Whitewater Snacks?

How are the dead buildings and walled up buildings of Downtown Disney?

Why are are any of us bothering going to this defunct place right now???

I regret booking my flight and hotel for late October. Completely regretting giving them my money... but hey, I had to book more than 30 days out.... conveniently before they post their closures!!!!

Last edited:

... How are the dead buildings and walled up buildings of Disney Springs?..

If you mean DTD, the western end has brightly colored tables and chairs and food trucks, sometimes live bands, too. The new restaurants are well underway. The new ice cream shop is also well underway and has a fall 2018 opening date. The new Naples bar and patio looks great. Hope the remodeled inside looks just as good when it is finished.
For those who choose to focus on the positive, the magic is still there (albeit under a lot more wrapping than usual right now) and will look even better when all the tarps/walls come down.

I heard there are working on the facade of the Animation Building in DCA.

Added to the list!

If you mean DTD, the western end has brightly colored tables and chairs and food trucks, sometimes live bands, too. The new restaurants are well underway. The new ice cream shop is also well underway and has a fall 2018 opening date. The new Naples bar and patio looks great. Hope the remodeled inside looks just as good when it is finished.
For those who choose to focus on the positive, the magic is still there (albeit under a lot more wrapping than usual right now) and will look even better when all the tarps/walls come down.

All I want is transparency. Theres no reason these projects couldn't have been announced beforehand. But if they were transparent, maybe people wouldn't come. I'm stuck going, and absolutely wouldn't have spent money if I knew the extent of the construction, not just at Disneyland, but across the ENTIRE resort. Tacky business practice. Very very tacky.

I agree. Our recent 3 day trip was a lot of fun, and I was more than happy to be at DL. Of course it would have been nice to not have so much construction, but it just leaves something to look forward to on the next trip! Where else would I rather have been? At work?! :rotfl2:

... All I want is transparency. Theres no reason these projects couldn't have been announced beforehand. But if they were transparent, maybe people wouldn't come. I'm stuck going, and absolutely wouldn't have spent money if I knew the extent of the construction, not just at Disneyland, but across the ENTIRE resort. Tacky business practice. Very very tacky.

Have you sent in a comment to Disney about this? (Use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the DLR website.) It's one thing to complain here (and it can be helpful to get it off your chest with fellow Disney fans), but DLR management should know how you feel. Tell them how this is affecting your trip and how it makes you feel. They should be reminded that their decisions do affect real people.
But remember that you can still have a great trip -- unless you were planning on spending your entire trip at some of these places that are being refurbed, there is still plenty of magic going around the parks!

We were undecided on a trip this fall and then the hotel discount came out and that sealed the deal. I’m definitely considering the great price we got as compensation for the massive amount of renovations going on.

I do have a little soft spot for first time folks who read historic reviews of fall at DLR that will be surprised by the state of things for a first trip.

Maybe I also wish they would spread the wealth into summertime too. Everyone can get over 2 or 3 walls but 12 hurts a little.

I’m still very happy to visit the park anyway. A day at Scrim Disney is better than no day at all!

Yea, i'm starting to get a but anxious for my first trip in October. Coming from the UK so not something I can easily repeat. I'm sure it will still be wonderful though.

I'm also watching Fresh Baked so at least I'll have an idea of what to expect before we get there and enough of the park looks lovely really. At least the castle's not boarded up anyway!!

Still hoping some of the scrim walls will be down shortly particularly in the Main st/ hub area.

There should be no more than one wall/scrim up on Main Street at any time. I think that's a no brainer. That said, at least they make their temporary facades look as pleasant as possible. But it's still obvious and noticeable.

I'm here right now and the walls really aren't that big of a deal.
The ones up during our trip in February were much more noticeable and inconvenient. And even then, we had the most perfectly magical trip. Maybe it really does depend on how you look at it/prepare for it. I had warned my family about the walls that were all the way up and down Main Street and were so high you couldn't see the other side side. When we got there, my family said "it's not so bad at all!"
So I just asked my family if they've noticed or been bothered by the walls this time. It is the fourth day of our trip. We've been in Disneyland 2 days and California Adventure one day. My husband said he noticed the walls and landscaping tarps on the left side of the castle and it bothered him a tiny bit. My girls said they really hadn't even noticed any walls. My husband said he was actually impressed with the way they dealt with the walls that they had to put up. We've been having a great time! We've done a ton of rides, met fabulously entertaining characters, and enjoyed our time together.
Now we're off to rope drop!

Let’s make a list!

Walls around the Matterhorn
Walls around the Adventureland Hub Path
Walls around the Frontierland Hub Path
Walls around the Left of Sleeping Beauty’s Castle
Walls around the Tiki Room
Walls around the “Tropical Hideaway”
Walls around the left side of Main Street
Walls around Bug’s Life
Walls around Pixar Pier’s Carousel
Walls around "Inside Out" Spinner
World of Color floating dead in the water
Walls around Animation Academy

Are the Walls covering the Tangaroa Terrace yet? How about the Grand Californian Pool for that new bar?

How about the Whitewater Snacks?

How are the dead buildings and walled up buildings of Downtown Disney?

I regret booking my flight and hotel for late October. Completely regretting giving them my money... but hey, I had to book more than 30 days out.... conveniently before they post their closures!!!!
All of those were announce more than 30 days prior to their closure. Tangaroa Terrace will be closed, but Enchanted Tiki Bar will be open. And unless you are walking to Whitewater, no one ever passes it to notice it is closed. WOC was a massive break, costing about a million dollars, could not be foreseen. For me, DTD only appears dead where Black Tap and Ballest are going in, walk the other side, it is fine. On the Disneyland Hotel end, I like what they have done. Walls around Animation and Main ST, nothing is closed, and since they don't close the park anymore, there has to be some way to do the repairs. This is the best solution.

All I want is transparency. Theres no reason these projects couldn't have been announced beforehand. But if they were transparent, maybe people wouldn't come. I'm stuck going, and absolutely wouldn't have spent money if I knew the extent of the construction, not just at Disneyland, but across the ENTIRE resort. Tacky business practice. Very very tacky.
Did you pay for your trip already? If you have booked rooms, as long as you cancel 5 days out, you are fine. Tickets? Save and use later. I'm sorry for your family trip, because I know attitude makes or breaks a trip.
I'm here right now and the walls really aren't that big of a deal.
The ones up during our trip in February were much more noticeable and inconvenient. And even then, we had the most perfectly magical trip. Maybe it really does depend on how you look at it/prepare for it. I had warned my family about the walls that were all the way up and down Main Street and were so high you couldn't see the other side side. When we got there, my family said "it's not so bad at all!"
So I just asked my family if they've noticed or been bothered by the walls this time. It is the fourth day of our trip. We've been in Disneyland 2 days and California Adventure one day. My husband said he noticed the walls and landscaping tarps on the left side of the castle and it bothered him a tiny bit. My girls said they really hadn't even noticed any walls. My husband said he was actually impressed with the way they dealt with the walls that they had to put up. We've been having a great time! We've done a ton of rides, met fabulously entertaining characters, and enjoyed our time together.
Now we're off to rope drop!
This is how we usually are. I understand the walls around the Tiki area. They are fixing the HA ramp. It takes time. They haven't closed the ride, and the wall looks fine. They look so fine, I don't even remember walls on the left side of castle or in frontierland, and the the Adventureland Hub walls are the tiki room walls. The walls around Bugsland, wasn't that announced in May?

Some people only look for the negative. I prefer to find the positive.

The new queue for Matterhorn will relieve a lot of the congestion around the Tomorrowland side.
The Tiki room's new ramp will make it much easier for those using wheelchairs to access the attraction.
The new dining at Whitewater and Tangaroa will be good, and am looking forward to the new pool bar at the Grand.
While I am saddened at the loss of Bugsland, I am glad they are moving Flik's Flyers to the new spot.

I remember all the complaints in 2011/2012. Now THOSE were walls....

... because I know attitude makes or breaks a trip...
Some people only look for the negative. I prefer to find the positive...

Ain't it the truth? Disney can make all the magic, but they cannot force me to see it. If I choose to turn a blind eye in every direction, it won't be Disney's fault if/when I complain that my trip wasn't magical. Personally, I'd rather look for all the good things that actually are there and enjoy my visit!

Are any of the scrims/walls set to come down soon or can we expect them to stay up for a while? Visiting Oct 6-13 and just want to know what to expect.

Last edited:
I've been to DL and WDW a number of times now and there are most certainly always scrims up and rides down. How are they expected to update anything if they can't do that? We're there next week and I'm sure it'll be just fine! By all means delay your trip, but you'll never find a time without any disruption.

@Malcon10t we were also there in 2012 and DCA was a mess, but we still had a great time!

We were there a couple of weeks ago and yes, LOTS of scrim and walls. Does it take away from the experience, absolutley.
It didn't "ruin" our trip but you wont find any pics of Main St. in our photo album either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter