Vistana Villages-good option for Universal?

lynnfitz

DIS Veteran
HI, never stayed here before-wondering how the commute is from there to Universal? We've stayed at Grande Vista and Cypress Harbour-would you say the Villages are as nice as the Marriott properties? Any advice, much appreciated!
We're then staying at Bay Lake over at Disney, for our Disney part of our vacation, we were going to stay on sight at Universal, but for less than half the price, we can get a 2 bedroom here. thanks!

It is further away than the 2 Marriott you have stayed at. it is closer to Orlando Vineland premium outlet mall.

ok, thanks. So torn of what to do-waiting to see if the king suites at Royal Pacific get discounted for the end of August with the annual pass, if not it's $1600 for the 4 nights. I know there are a lot of perks of staying on property (and we do love RP), but I am having a hard time with the $1600 price tag!

My answer for Universal is to ALWAYS stay at one of the 3 main hotels for 1 night. That gives you 2 days of the front of line pass and entry in an hour early on both days.

To answer the commute part of the question, SVV is actually pretty well situated for the "back road sneak", and not too bad to Universal by the usual I-4 access. For the back roads, SVV is almost directly across from Daryl Carter Pkwy (maybe a half block South), take that across I-4 to Palm Parkway, and then follow that due North (becomes Turkey Lake Road) . A bit past Sand Lake Road, take a right on Hollywood Way and proceed straight to the parking garage. There are maybe 3 lights along Turkey Lake, low traffic, and it moves fairly fast. If I-4 is showing red on Google Maps, I'll always take this bypass.

From a quality POV, I would put Sheraton and Marriott on the same level. I like the Sheraton properties better than the couple of Marriotts I have stayed at, but I haven't stayed at the specific Marriotts you mention. But I am also biased, because I liked Sheraton enough to buy there (Resort, not Villas, but have stayed at both).

But otherwise I agree with the PP's - there are some really good benefits to staying onsite, and that should probably remain your first choice.

ok thanks everyone! I think we've done this other years, then we end up staying on sight for the perks!

What is the difference in the 2 Sheraton Vistanas? 1 is the Fountains and I cant recall the other.TIA

Sheraton Vistana Resort is the original Vistana resort in Orlando located on 535 between the I-4 and World Center Drive. It started in the 70's as a tennis club (now the Courts section), and was probably about 1/3 developed when Sheraton came on board. As that property was nearing completion, Sheraton started development on a second Vistana called Sheraton Vistana Villages about 4 miles away on I-Drive near Daryl Carter Pkwy. Fountains is the name of one of seven sections in the Sheraton Vistana Resort - it is also the name of a totally unrelated resort by Bluegreen (not Sheraton) across the street from SVV (confused yet?).

SV Resort (SVR) is the older and larger of the two Sheratons. It is closer to WDW by 5-10 min, has a few more amenities, and is a bit more spread out. The resort underwent an extensive and expensive (we owners paid a ton) refurbishment a few years ago, so it is very well polished now. SV Villages (SVV) is closer to SeaWorld and Universal and is newer overall build and more compact (higher density) than SVR.

People tend to gravitate toward one or the other. Many people prefer the higher rise buildings with elevators and more apartment like villas at SVV and a couple of sections at SVR. Others (like me) prefer the more spread out villas in the older sections at SVR. Our own Courts unit is more like a 2-storey townhome than an apartment, with parking at the front door.

If you are booking an exchange in RCI or II, there are two listings in both systems for SVR. This is really more related to the type of ownership than to the section of the resort, and with program changes the distinction is pretty much meaningless now.

Can't go wrong with either resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter