Visitors in rooms?

polymerpig

Mouseketeer
Our next visit to WDW will be our first time staying on property (we're thinking Pop Century). I've been reading that everyone gets their own key/id. Is this used to swipe into the actual hotel (like you'd do on a cruise ship?)...some of the posts seemed to indicate this. What if we want to have a visitor come to the room for a while - would they not have access? Maybe I'm just mis-reading the information, but I'm just not sure since we haven't done this before.
Thanks

The room key is just that - a room key. The only thing it does at the resort, other than be a room key, is allow you to access resort entrances after hours, allow you to use the automated security gate entrances when driving into the resort, and give you permission to be at the pool. (Of course, there are other things you can add to the room key, like tickets and charging capabilities, but we're just talking about resort use here). It could be the after hours resort access that you are thinking of as far as swiping the ID card. Most of the resorts restrict their building access from about 11pm to around 5am to resort guests only, and if you don't have a key card, you can't get in (other than through the main public entrance, where they can keep an eye on who's going in and out).

You can have visitors at your resort. Keep in mind that there may be a time limit on how long they can park their car at your resort, depending on how busy the resort is. Your visitors will not be allowed to use the resort pool. I have often had visitors drop in on my solo trips, and never had a problem. I've taken visitors out on boats at the marina, we've dined and shopped at the resort, and sometimes they even kick back and relax in the room for a while before heading back home.

As a resort guest you can get a parking pass. If you do not have a car you can get one for your visiting guest with your room key card. That way the car can be parked for more than 3 hrs so it won't get towed. I did this for my DB when we stayed at OKW. Anyone can use Disney transportation.

Your room key is just like what you would get at a Holiday Inn. It lets you into your room. So a visitor would not have one to get into your room. Disney's room keys also allow you easy access to the parking areas at the resort (and only at your resort, not any one on property). You can just swipe it at the security gate and the arm goes up and lets you in. Your visitor will have to stop and check in with the security guard when entering the grounds.

So, if you have a visitor, they can come to your resort whenever they want to. They will have to check in at the security gate (separate from the lobby). They should have their driver's license readily available for ID. It also helps if they have your room number. They will not be able to get into your room at all.

As mentioned, you can get your visitor a parking pass if they are going to be there for any length of time. Just ask at the front desk.

One of our funniest stories to come back with us was about this VERY subject so I wanted to share it :lmao:

My brother's family lives in Titusville (not far from Disney)
We stayed the at GF and flew in so we didn't have a car.
We had made ressies one night for 1900 park fare for all of us one of the nights we were there...
Brother had an AP that includes free parking so this was the only time we tried to do this as usually we just took the monorail together..

Anyway... he has 2 little kids with the usual baby/toddler baggage so we gave him our parking pass so he could park closer to the resort.... I knew it was legal and had given the front desk a heads up he would be using our parking pass but my brother didn't know this...

This is the conversation that went on when he pulled up to the gate:

CM: Your name sir?
Brother: pretends to be my DH so gives him my DH's name
CM: How do you spell that sir? (my married name is very long and difficult to spell)
Brother: uhhhhh... do you have a piece of paper so I can write it down?:rotfl:
CM: what room are you staying at sir?
brother: uhhhhh the one facing the lagoon?
CM: Are you sure your staying at this resort sir?
brother: oh yes, we are staying here... I just get easily confused...
CM: Would you like to charge the valet parking to the room?
Brother: <huge grin on his face> ABSOLUTELY :rotfl:

So we tease him about charging the parking to OUR ROOM... we were tempted to call the front desk to tell them we thought our parking pass was stolen :rotfl: :rotfl: (anyone with a "little brother" would understand this temptation hehe)

Well brother was feeling a tad bit guilty for charging the parking to our room after we teased him soooo he handed me a $20 to cover the expense... we laughed about this as getting my brother to pay me back is not an EASY accomplishment... not that he is a deadbeat by any means but its "fun" in our family to owe the other a small amount of cash and never deliver on paying it back :rotfl: ... nothing major but maybe $5 for popcorn and never paying it back...you get the idea...

Anyway... back to the story, my brother is leaving and the gate CM tells him that the machine was broken at the time so he can't charge the parking to the room :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Now my deadbeat brother who tried to charge it to our room... paid us 20 bucks for the parking had to STILL pay for the valet parking with cashe :rotfl: :rotfl: HE called me on his cell demanding his $20 back :lmao: :lmao: I told him not to hold his breath:rolleyes1

Thanks everyone - makes sense that a key is just a key...but somewhere someone mentioned everyone in the room "swiping in" so I started to question it. Our visitors wouldn't be using the pool or parking - just popping in for a while. Thanks

One of our funniest stories to come back with us was about this VERY subject so I wanted to share it :lmao:

My brother's family lives in Titusville (not far from Disney)
We stayed the at GF and flew in so we didn't have a car.
We had made ressies one night for 1900 park fare for all of us one of the nights we were there...
Brother had an AP that includes free parking so this was the only time we tried to do this as usually we just took the monorail together..

Anyway... he has 2 little kids with the usual baby/toddler baggage so we gave him our parking pass so he could park closer to the resort.... I knew it was legal and had given the front desk a heads up he would be using our parking pass but my brother didn't know this...

This is the conversation that went on when he pulled up to the gate:

CM: Your name sir?
Brother: pretends to be my DH so gives him my DH's name
CM: How do you spell that sir? (my married name is very long and difficult to spell)
Brother: uhhhhh... do you have a piece of paper so I can write it down?:rotfl:
CM: what room are you staying at sir?
brother: uhhhhh the one facing the lagoon?
CM: Are you sure your staying at this resort sir?
brother: oh yes, we are staying here... I just get easily confused...
CM: Would you like to charge the valet parking to the room?
Brother: <huge grin on his face> ABSOLUTELY :rotfl:

So we tease him about charging the parking to OUR ROOM... we were tempted to call the front desk to tell them we thought our parking pass was stolen :rotfl: :rotfl: (anyone with a "little brother" would understand this temptation hehe)

Well brother was feeling a tad bit guilty for charging the parking to our room after we teased him soooo he handed me a $20 to cover the expense... we laughed about this as getting my brother to pay me back is not an EASY accomplishment... not that he is a deadbeat by any means but its "fun" in our family to owe the other a small amount of cash and never deliver on paying it back :rotfl: ... nothing major but maybe $5 for popcorn and never paying it back...you get the idea...

Anyway... back to the story, my brother is leaving and the gate CM tells him that the machine was broken at the time so he can't charge the parking to the room :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Now my deadbeat brother who tried to charge it to our room... paid us 20 bucks for the parking had to STILL pay for the valet parking with cashe :rotfl: :rotfl: HE called me on his cell demanding his $20 back :lmao: :lmao: I told him not to hold his breath:rolleyes1

LOL!! That's a cute story :-)

Not to start a controversy here BUT...We stayed at the Poly one year. I organized a luau. We had family coming from 1 hr west of Orlando and 1 hr east of Orlando just for the luau. I asked the CMs at the Poly front desk for permission for our younger guests to swim in the Volanco pool and it was granted.
We had a wonderful family luau!:)

TC:cool1:

Thanks everyone - makes sense that a key is just a key...but somewhere someone mentioned everyone in the room "swiping in"...

They may have been staying Club Level (CL, concierge). At the Poly, for example, you can not get into the concierge building (Hawaii long house) without a card key. They obviously don't want non club level guests sneaking in to eat/drink for free at the concierge lounge--that priviledge is restricted to those who have paid for it. popcorn::

They may have been staying Club Level (CL, concierge). At the Poly, for example, you can not get into the concierge building (Hawaii long house) without a card key. They obviously don't want non club level guests sneaking in to eat/drink for free at the concierge lounge--that priviledge is restricted to those who have paid for it. popcorn::

Well mostly true in that they don't want people walking off the street to come in but if you ask they do allow you to have visitors.

Liz

Well mostly true in that they don't want people walking off the street to come in but if you ask they do allow you to have visitors.

Liz

Sorry if my post was misunderstood. I was merely attempting to explain one possible reason that the OP may have read reports regarding how guests used their key cards to gain access to their resort building.

I was NOT implying that CL guests would not be permitted to have visitors. Since the OP is leaning towards staying at Pop Century, club level access would not be an issue any way. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter