Visit in 2018 - which would be our best option?

catfan98

DIS Veteran
We visited WDW during spring break in April this year (1st week of April). After a wonderful trip and upon returning home, we decided that our next trip would be April 2019, spring break again. My husband told me this afternoon that he has been thinking about going back sooner and asked about late next year, 2018, instead. After getting over the shock of hearing him say this, I decided I had better start researching fall/Thanksgiving/Christmas times to see if it would be doable. If we want to go later in the year, and we are restricted by a school schedule, what is our best bet between these 3 weeks for crowds, weather, price, etc. - 1st week of October, which is our fall break, the week of Thanksgiving, or the week before Christmas (coming back home on 22nd). The fall and holiday times interest me for the decorations but if these weeks look too crazy, I will probably tell him we need to wait for April 2019 as we previously planned...even though I really would like to go next year!

We visited WDW during spring break in April this year (1st week of April). After a wonderful trip and upon returning home, we decided that our next trip would be April 2019, spring break again. My husband told me this afternoon that he has been thinking about going back sooner and asked about late next year, 2018, instead. After getting over the shock of hearing him say this, I decided I had better start researching fall/Thanksgiving/Christmas times to see if it would be doable. If we want to go later in the year, and we are restricted by a school schedule, what is our best bet between these 3 weeks for crowds, weather, price, etc. - 1st week of October, which is our fall break, the week of Thanksgiving, or the week before Christmas (coming back home on 22nd). The fall and holiday times interest me for the decorations but if these weeks look too crazy, I will probably tell him we need to wait for April 2019 as we previously planned...even though I really would like to go next year!

If you plan on leaving Disney on the 22nd of December, I'd probably choose that week. The crowds will be arriving on the 22nd, so you'll have moderate crowds, cooler weather, and all the Christmas stuff going on. Just be aware that weather can be all over the place from very cold to hot; you'll need to pack an wear layers.

Second choice would be Oct. Low crowds and a bit warmer and more consistent weather than December.

Thanksgiving week will be the most crowded of these three.

I would say the week before christmas. October is busy because of food and wine, thanksgiving would be busy because of the holiday. Your December timeframe would be the calm before the christmas storm and to see the castle draped in the lights is amazing!! all the decorations are impressive.

I think I'm leaning towards the week before Christmas...I never dreamed that we would go during this time period, so I'm thinking I better take the chance while I can!

What about August? We went the last week in August last summer and it was great! Flights were cheap and crowds were low. To beat the heat, we got out early, went back to the resort after lunch to about 4-5pm and then went out for the evening. I would totally do it again!

What about August? We went the last week in August last summer and it was great! Flights were cheap and crowds were low. To beat the heat, we got out early, went back to the resort after lunch to about 4-5pm and then went out for the evening. I would totally do it again!

Our son's school starts early August, usually around the 9th or so. We have been in June once, and my husband said he didn't want to go in the summer again, lol. I would go in the summer and do as you said, but him, he says no thank you, lol. Thank you for the suggestion, though! I appreciate all input!

I would definitely say October, then. I don't think a lot of schools are off then so crowds shouldn't be as bad as Thanksgiving or Christmas weeks. Plus I bet Florida weather is great in October!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter