• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Virginia Beach?

mbw12

<font color=blue>DVC member<br><font color=red>Has
I thought someone posted here recently that they went to Virginia Beach on a trade....either to Turtle Cay or the Boardwalk???

If so, could you please post o review of the resort for us? Thanks.....I am interested!!!

Bobbi

We stayed across the street from Turtle Cay last year (at the Ramada on the Beach), and went over and visited it (actually, almost daily, LOL, as they have Blimpies Subs & Haagen-Dazs). It looked like a great resort, wonderful pool area and spacious units. The only downside is it isn't oceanfront, but it is a quick walk across the street (Atlantic Ave).

We did not go into the Boardwalk, but it looks very, very nice from the outside. And, it's oceanfront.

I've also stayed at the Ramada Oceanfront right across the street from it and wished I was staying at Turtle Cay instead. It's by far the best looking resort in Va Beach.

Just back from Turtle Cay Resort @ VA Beach! I had read mixed reviews about this place online and was scared about what I would find.... So prior to the vacation I started pumping into everyones head "Don't expect Disney Standards".

Well let me tell you this place is gorgeous! Our 2 bedroom unit was clean, well equipped, very comfortable!

Nice balconies overlooking the pool area. Pool area is very nice but seats are limited as they share pools with the Clarion across the street so you need to get down there early.

The hotel employees aren't like the CM's in Disney (except for a few of the housekeepers). But hey I didn't care. I think the only way they could improve this place would be

1) to stop allowing pool hopping with the Clarion. I know this could work against them because the Clarion has an indoor pool that TC guests are allowed to use but the pool is so small it isn't really worth the trade off.

2) they need more luggage carts for check in/ check out (people take them into their rooms) on Saturday night so that they have them in the morning (which leaves the rest of us to do it ourselves).

Again these things are minor improvements! The place is great and I would stay there again anytime. Oh yeah if you trade out to TC you will be asked to attend a Members meeting (translation sales pitch for II) in return you will get 30.00 (sand dollars) which can be used in many places along the beach.

We did it, it was a little over an hour but bought us our surrey bikes.

That's all I can remember right now. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Lisa

thanks for the review!!!

a few questions:

Did they have (and did you participate) in any activities at the resort? Was there alot to do at the resort itself?

What is there in the general area to do?

Did you travel to Busch Gardens at all.....if so, how far of a drive???

Sorry....I might have more questions later.

Bobbi

We went to Busch Gardens one day. It takes about an hour; however, the day we went, there was a lot of traffic, and we sat stopped on the Hampton Roads Bridge/Tunnel for 45 minutes - never did see any reason for the delay.

Hi Bobbi,

Don't worry about the questions. I'm glad I can help someone else not worry about the resort the way I did.

CD is correct it is about an hour drive to BG. But worth every minute! Especially if you are coaster nuts! The resort does offer activities have a schedule that I can scan for you if you are interested. I also have a brochure that has a picture of the pool area too (nothing different han you can find online though).

They are offered at the Clarion across the street though. We didn't take part in any of them though. Mostly we just slept in and enjoyed the pool or the ocean. It was truely a relaxing vacation.

In the general area there was a mini golf place, and a little carnival type ride place. We went to Hooter's restaurant one day and past Ocean Breeze water park (not too far away) looked like fun.

We also pasted The Marine Aquarium (the real name escapes me right now) but I'm sure some one can chime in to help. The is also parasailing and jet ski rentals.

They also offer whale watches & fishing excursions. There are so many things I want to do when I go back. There was a nice woman from the Dis that told me to do a Lighthouse tour (you'd have to use the search function to find the post.

Anything else I can help, don't hesitate!

Edited to add,

There is nightly (free) entertainment by local bands on the 7th street stage right across the street from 7-10 . It was great! One night they even had kareoke (sp)?

The rest of the time we played games..we are big board game players.

If you don't mind scanning the list of activities, I would really appreciate it. Our kids are aged 4 and 6 and I would be curious to see what the resort offers for them to do. We probably would look to go next summer....

Bobbi

Originally posted by ffindis
How many points did you use for the trade?

Sorry I can't help you with this part. Last summer while in WDW during member days, we filled out a questionaire and they had raffles for free accomodations and we won it.

So sorry, I can't answer that!

Bobbi,

I will scan it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter