Virgin Trains announces Port Miami stop operational in 2020

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
Virgin Trains is expanding their stations along the existing West Palm Beach to Miami portion -- with new stations coming soon in Boca Raton, Aventura in NE Miami-Dade County, and at Port Miami.

The Port MIami stop will presumably use existing rail tracks and will allow cruisers to shop for better airfares between MIA, FLL, and PBI. That should be especially helpful to cruisers who prefer Southwest or Jet Blue, both of which fly into FLL.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/virgin...oca-raton-expected-to-be-operational-in-2020/

The Master Plan for the Fort Lauderdale International Airport (FLL) has a multimodal transportation building going in right next to the track used by Virgin. (You can see it on the right side of the screen if you fast forward to around 4:30 in the video.)

In the meantime, however, getting from FLL to the Virgin train station in Fort Lauderdale would be a pain.

Thanks for posting this item. It will be interesting to see how they get to Port Miami. The massive new train station in Downtown Miami is quite unique in that it's elevated 3 or 4 stories above the ground. Seems like they'll either need to skip the Downtown Miami station on trains going to Port Miami or back track somehow.

Thanks for posting this item. It will be interesting to see how they get to Port Miami. The massive new train station in Downtown Miami is quite unique in that it's elevated 3 or 4 stories above the ground. Seems like they'll either need to skip the Downtown Miami station on trains going to Port Miami or back track somehow.
There are existing tracks already from just north of the Brightline station to Port Miami, but I'm not sure what the gymnastics would be to send a train over there. They currently have shuttle service to the port, and that may actually be the most expeditious way to move folks. The bridge to the Port is literally only about 6 blocks from the station.

I don't recall the station being 3-4 stories. I'll have to look next time I go there.

The Miami-Dade County building is just next to the Brightline and that has Metrorail and MetroMover tracks 2-3 stories up, but I've never noticed the Brightline being elevated. Could be, but I've never noticed

Part of the appeal of Brightline is that it's an interurban express. If they load it up with local stops, the travel time will increase and it will become less attractive.

Part of the appeal of Brightline is that it's an interurban express. If they load it up with local stops, the travel time will increase and it will become less attractive.
I agree, but I'm sure they have some business purpose for adding the stops. The port stop is obvious -- really not much expense involved because the rail line is already there and it will improve service to a market they already have in partnership with the cruise lines.

On the Boca stop, we already have a regional train service (Tri-Rail) which services Boca Raton but it terminates at MIA, not downtown. A Virgin stop in Boca would provide a connection between southern Palm Beach County and downtown Miami. I think it's also likely that Virgin will run some trains which make local stops like Boca and Aventura and others which are express trains between the main stations.

I don't recall the station being 3-4 stories. I'll have to look next time I go there.

The Miami-Dade County building is just next to the Brightline and that has Metrorail and MetroMover tracks 2-3 stories up, but I've never noticed the Brightline being elevated. Could be, but I've never noticed

The station has a small street-level lobby. You go up a long escalator to the second level where the waiting rooms, retail, and food is located. When the train arrives, you go up another long escalator to the platform to board. The ceilings are expansive, which is why I was thinking it was the 4th floor. But, the trains are located on the 3rd floor.

Here's a construction photo. The three Brightline/Virgin track are closest to the bottom of the image. The tracks in the middle are Tri-Rail. (See below.) The track coming in off the curve at the upper right are Metrorail.

Photo Courtesy: https://www.thenextmiami.com/tri-rails-aggressive-schedule-get-service-downtown-2q-2018/

There are existing tracks already from just north of the Brightline station to Port Miami, but I'm not sure what the gymnastics would be to send a train over there. They currently have shuttle service to the port, and that may actually be the most expeditious way to move folks. The bridge to the Port is literally only about 6 blocks from the station.

In order to get up to the station, there's a long incline that starts right after the I-395 underpass. In order to get from the Miami Central Station to the new Port Miami station, a train would have to go all the way past I-395 and stop before reversing to change onto those existing tracks into the port.

If I have my geography correct, the track that curves down and exits the bottom of the above image goes to the port.

Definitively some train gymnastics there. Because of that, I'm guessing any trains bound for the port will skip the Miami Central station entirely. But, who knows at this point.

On the Boca stop, we already have a regional train service (Tri-Rail) which services Boca Raton but it terminates at MIA, not downtown.

I'm not sure when it is scheduled to be completed, but Tri-Rail is expanding to Downtown Miami.

http://tri-raildowntownmiamilink.com/
In this image taken from the above linked site, you can see the relationship of Tri-Rail to Virgin trains. Obviously it's an old image because has the original "All Aboard Florida" name. But, I'm guessing it's still fairly accurate. This image does not show Metrorail, which would be to the left side of all of this.

In order to get up to the station, there's a long incline that starts right after the I-395 underpass. In order to get from the Miami Central Station to the new Port Miami station, a train would have to go all the way past I-395 and stop before reversing to change onto those existing tracks into the port.

If I have my geography correct, the track that curves down and exits the bottom of the above image goes to the port.
Your geography is correct; that rail line curving at the lower right IS the one that goes to the port. That line is also the old FECRR line which all of the WPB-Miami Virgin train system runs on.

I'm not sure how Virgin will get trains to the port, and I'm sure that's still in the planning stages.

Looking forward to reading more on this. We need to fly into West Palm to catch a international flight a few times a year, and jiving flight schedules into PBI from the Northeast that coincide with departing flight out of PBI can sometimes we difficult. Being able to fly into MIA or FLL and train down to PBI could possibly be a real helpful option.

Looking forward to reading more on this. We need to fly into West Palm to catch a international flight a few times a year, and jiving flight schedules into PBI from the Northeast that coincide with departing flight out of PBI can sometimes we difficult. Being able to fly into MIA or FLL and train down to PBI could possibly be a real helpful option.
That capability is here now. The West Palm Beach to Miami section of the train has been open for several months. Here's a link to the Brightline (Virgin) website: https://www.gobrightline.com/

You should also check out Tri-Rail, which also runs between MIA airport and West Palm Beach. https://www.tri-rail.com/

You will probably have an Uber ride on one end or the other (maybe both ends) so check to see where the trains will pick you up and drop you off.

Tri-Rail leaves directly from the airport in Miami, and there is a free people-mover train from the terminal to the "Intermodal Center." At MIA, the ride from the airport to the Brightline station should be about $15 for UberX, or maybe $30 for XL.

You should also check out Tri-Rail, which also runs between MIA airport and West Palm Beach. https://www.tri-rail.com/

There is also a free shuttle from the from Tri-Rail to the Fort Lauderdale International Airport (FLL). In fact, the Dania Beach Station where the shuttle stops is listed as the "Fort Lauderdale Airport" station on the Tri-Rail website.

Tri-Rail baggage policy:
Baggage
Passengers may carry bags onboard, but please do not block seats or aisles. Luggage racks are available on all northernmost cars. Tri-Rail is not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Train personnel are not required to provide baggage assistance. Customers must limit baggage to no more than three (3) pieces of standard size luggage which they can carry onboard in one trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter