Viewing Wishes from the California Grill

John E.

October's trip can't come fast enough!
Tried to make ADR for LeCellier at the 90 day mark yesterday and its all booked :( so disappointed as it was to be a gift dinner for my brother's 20th anniversary. I've heard good things about California Grill, so I jumped on that to make a ressie before that was all booked up.

Unfortunately they only had slots for 5:55 and 9:05. We took the 9:05. I know you can't request a particular view until you arrive that night.

- What are the odds of getting a table to view Wishes?

- I have read they dim the lights and pipe in the music. Do they still do that?

- If you can't get a table to view Wishes can you get a good look at Illuminations at Epcot (both go off at 9PM).

- Are they even likely to seat us near 9:00 or will we likely have to wait? If so can we go to the observation balcony to watch Wishes?

I'd appreciate any input you can give me here. LeCellier was an annual tradition. I'm hoping this will be something very special too.

Good choice with Cali grill!!

You will love it. We never miss it while in WDW.

The 9:05 ressie is perfect.
Just get there for 8-8:15'ish to check in on the second floor.

From my experience, they have always sat us a little earlier.....ASk once you get there for the window seat.

If not, go out onto the balcony...it's just as beautiful

As far as Illuminations, I do not think you can view these from here, at least I never have.

And yes, t hey dim the lights and pipe in the music.

ENJOY!!!!:thumbsup2

:cloud9: thanks!!

breathing easier . . .

Where do they put you between the time you arrive and the time they can actually seat you?

Do people get up from their table during dinner to view Wishes outside? If everyone goes out won't they think we skipped out on the check?? :thumbsup2

If there's room, they'll put you in the lounge; otherwise, you may be required to wait on the second floor until some Guests leave.

Yes, many people get up and go out on the balcony to watch Wishes. Just tell your server that's what you're planning to do. As for skipping out on the check, well, think about it. While this wasn't the purpose of instituting a credit card hold, Disney does have your credit card number and contact information ;)

Interestingly, if you're seated on the opposite side of the restaurant from MK, you can see the Illuminations fireworks. There's a deck on that side too, but I don't know if anyone uses it.

If Wishes goes off at 9 and you have a 9:05 reservation, I would not count on being seated at any table, let alone a window table, prior to Wishes going off. I don't mean to be a negative person but I've dined at CG many times and you just don't see people getting up from their tables 15-20 minutes before Wishes to leave. Even here on the dis you see many people discussing dragging their meals out so that they can keep those tables. The closer it gets to Wishes, the more crowded it gets up there as it backs up waiting for tables.

The good news is that the food is very good here and once Wishes is over, the restaurant clears pretty quickly so you may find yourselves with a quieter dinner than usual (CG is pretty loud).

Do people get up from their table during dinner to view Wishes outside? If everyone goes out won't they think we skipped out on the check??

Yes and no.

The server knows where you're going. They'll even hold the next course until after the show.

I think Pakey's right - no one is going to be giving up a table, much less a window table, that close to fireworks time. You might plan on watching it from the deck which is a better view anyway. Yes, you get the music out there.

You can see Illuminations from the opposite side but it's a LONG way off and looks like a bunch of little sparks.

Okay, so if nobody gives up a table before the show, will they let us up to the balcony to wait for our table? I won't mind that. I just don't want to be stuck in some lobby on the 2nd floor waiting for a table and miss Wishes altogether.

I would think they would let you out to see Wishes from the balcony. We watched Illuminations (in the distance) from the side of CG that faces away from MK and also the Electrical Water Pageant. i didn't go out to watch Wishes as I am terrified of heights, was fine inside but outside was just too much!

You are in for a great meal wherever you sit - CG is our mustdo every trip!

Okay, so if nobody gives up a table before the show, will they let us up to the balcony to wait for our table? I won't mind that. I just don't want to be stuck in some lobby on the 2nd floor waiting for a table and miss Wishes altogether.

They will let you up if there is room. Each restaurant has occupancy limits and if they are backed up on seating and the lounge is overflowing (we have had to stand against a wall for 30 minutes up there before because there were so many people waiting to be seated), they will not let up more people than they are allowed to have for firecode laws. There is no way of knowing ahead of time how the crowds are going to be/move through CG on the night you are there.

I would go into this hoping to be able to get up there in time to get out on the balcony and get a good spot (the balcony does get pretty crowded) but I would not expect it so that if it doesn't happen, it doesn't ruin your experience there.

You could take the 5:55 reservation, and with your receipt return closer to Wishes time. You WILL be allowed back upstairs, and can go out on the deck to watch (or if you're really lucky, find a seat in the lounge?)

I do appreciate all the help on this :thumbsup2

Is this "lounge" upstairs? Adjacent to the balcony?

My plan is to get there closer to 8 for my 9 pm ressie. I figure that might get us a better shot at getting upstairs to one area or the other before 9PM.

Unfortunately they only had slots for 5:55 and 9:05. We took the 9:05. I know you can't request a particular view until you arrive that night.

What are the odds of getting a table to view Wishes?
. . . zero to none
. . . people keep their tables when Wishes gets close.

I have read they dim the lights and pipe in the music. Do they still do that?
. . . yes

If you can't get a table to view Wishes can you get a good look at Illuminations at Epcot (both go off at 9PM).
. . . there is no really good view of Illuminations

Are they even likely to seat us near 9:00 or will we likely have to wait? If so can we go to the observation balcony to watch Wishes?
. . . forget trying for a seat
. . . go out on the balcony

:cloud9: thanks!!

breathing easier . . .

Where do they put you between the time you arrive and the time they can actually seat you?

Do people get up from their table during dinner to view Wishes outside? If everyone goes out won't they think we skipped out on the check?? :thumbsup2

Having experienced a window table, and a pretty good one, I actually think the balcony is better. Just me, but I don't concern at all about window table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter